Start by marking “The Orthodox Way” as Want to Read:
The Orthodox Way

The Orthodox Way

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,058 ratings  ·  63 reviews
This book is a general account of the doctrine, worship and life of Orthodox Christians by the author of the now classic The Orthodox Church. It raises the basic issues of theology: God is hidden yet revealed; the problem with evil; the nature of salvation; the meaning of faith; prayer; death and what lies beyond. In so doing, it helps to fill the need for modern Orthodox ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 164 pages
Published September 1st 1995 by St Vladimirs Seminary Pr (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Orthodox Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orthodox Way

The Orthodox Church by Kallistos WareThe Orthodox Way by Kallistos WareThe Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos C. MarkidesOn the Incarnation by Athanasius of AlexandriaThe Way of a Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way by Anonymous
Best Eastern Orthodox Books
2nd out of 115 books — 33 voters
The Orthodox Church by Kallistos WareThe Orthodox Way by Kallistos WareFor the Life of the World by Alexander SchmemannGreat Lent by Alexander SchmemannFacing East by Frederica Mathewes-Green
Eastern Orthodox Christian Reading
2nd out of 55 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
I've now read Ware's The Orthodox Way three times over the last decade or so. (Something going on there?) Anyway, this time around a few things jumped out at me, or at least struck me as fresh and new with this reading. First, the title, which is sneaky smart. In the early days of the Church, Christianity was called "The Way." (I actually think there's an older Bible from the Jesus Freak days of the late 60s and 70s called the The Way.) That title itself harkens to John 14:6 ("I am the Way, the ...more
Kevin Greenlee
I've always been an ecumenist. I believe in one holy, catholic and apostolic church, and believe that every creed professing person is a member of Christ's Church. A few years back, however, I had a few realizations that changed the form of my ecumenism.

The first was the realization that sola scriptura, when seen in the ahistorical way many modern Evangelicals view it, is an untenable position.

Second, I realized that the sort of ecumenism I had developed bordered dangerously on consumerism. Deno
Donovan Richards
Burn the Heretics

Whenever my grandfather discusses Greece, he mentions his singular experience in the Greek Isles. Visiting an Orthodox Church with my grandmother, an Orthodox priest graciously administered a tour of the premises. The dialogue advanced swimmingly between the parties until the priest asked if my grandparents were Orthodox. When my grandfather admitted his Protestant roots, the priest kindly-yet-forcefully requested that my grandparents leave the church. To this day, my comprehens
Graham
This was assigned reading for a course I took in my undergrad, and I have read it almost annually since. I have referred back to it regularly for preaching and writing. It has been among the most formative books in terms of spiritual formation. While I am not Eastern Orthodox, reading this book opened my eyes to a freshness of beauty and mystery and wonder so badly needed in Western Protestantism. The presentation of the Orthodox spirituality which embraces mystery, beauty, meditation, and exper ...more
Jamie Grefe
Without being a member, I've been studying Orthodoxy for a few years now, dipping into certain thinkers and texts--The Philokalia, namely or articles by Vincent Rossi or books by Philip Sherrard--and I find this book to be the best introduction to Orthodoxy that I've read. While it is not as linear and systematic as "Orthodox Dogmatic Theology," that is not its aim. Its aim, I feel, is to give the reader a more poetic and lived experience of Orthodoxy while presenting certain overriding Orthodox ...more
Special K
May 10, 2011 Special K rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Special K by: Robert Stackpole
Shelves: theology
This book is so accessible to people who want to learn more about Orthodoxy but are outside of the Orthodox tradition, like myself (a former evangelical, sometimes liturgical, though rarely church-attending Protestant).
Above all things, the book gave me great hope. Over the past few years, I took a brief foray into the writing of "emergent church" thinkers like Brian McLaren, but always ended with this strange feeling that they were trying to reinvent the wheel. But at the same time, the popular
Jeff Rickel
An eye opening book that reveals historic Christianity in all its glory, before the Great Schism of 1054. Most in the West have little knowledge of the intricacies of the Faith (here always referred to simply as The Way, as it was called in the New Testament) of the ancient times because we have been so greatly impacted by the Schism. Protestantism is nothing more than a reaction to the claims of unilateral authority given to the Pope, yet this is not how the ancient Church functioned.

It is not
Edward
Great intro to an ancient and venerable tradition within Christianity. The west in general could learn something from Orthodox thought. Some of the differences may seem slight at first, but lead to a wholly different approach to theology. Students of Taoism may notice some parallels at the mystical level, especially in areas like the apophatic approach or hesychastic meditation.

"You are a world within a world: look within yourself, and see there the whole of creation." St Nilus of Ancyra
Brian
I absolutely loved this book. Ware's writing is magnificent and eloquent. His, and the Orthodox Church's, wisdom is something the Western Church desperately needs. The Orthodox Way is a summary of the Christian life from a Orthodox point of view. There was very little I found that I disagreed with. For the short length there is a surprising amount of wisdom packed in. I recommend this to all Christians. It's such a blessing.
Kaycie Simmons
This book was a practical breakdown of complicated ideas; certain things were redundant (that might just be my filter), but one things I did really enjoy were the quotes from different people at the end of each chapter.
Sincerae
I read this book for the catechumen class at the Orthodox church that I attend. This book talks about the more mystical side of the Christian faith which is found in Orthodox Christianity.
Christopher Mattox
JESUS CHRIST IS VICTORIOUS
Gregory Soderberg
Excellent, pastoral, overview. Steers clear of controversial doctrines and focuses on the spirituality of Orthodoxy.
Ryan Moore
The Orthodox Way by Bishop Kalistos(Timothy)Ware was recommended to me as a solid introduction to Orthodoxy. I haven't studied Orthodoxy much at all which is not good, considering the fact that I study Russia, where Orthodoxy is central to life. Ware asserts that Christianity is a path along which we journey. I love this idea. He further asserts that we must have companions and signposts(events to look back on) along the way. "Each of us is called to verify for himself what he has been taught an ...more
Conner
I have been raised in a conservative evangelical household for my entire life and this was my first exposure to Eastern Orthodoxy. I really enjoyed the content presented, particularly because I have recently become interested in Christian mysticism. I cannot say that this book is in fact exemplary of mystical thought because I have not read enough to be capable of doing so, but from my understanding it seemed to have a deep-seated mysticism throughout its entirety. In my opinion, the approach ta ...more
Eileen Kleidon
I loved this book because it described the Orthodox faith well.

Certainly I do not agree with all of the teachings here; yet it gave me a firm understanding of what the Orthodox faith is. I began the study of the Orthodox faith when I entered a Greek church and asked the pastor there to help guide me into understanding where they get there beliefs from. He responded with a list of books - one being The Orthodox Way.

The primary reason for studying this religion was an attempt to understand why som
Hans
I suppose this is fine for a primer, but it was kind of a let down. I was expecting much more, but it seemed like a very, very general overview of Eastern Orthodoxy. Most of what is said in the book any Christian would agree with and not see a difference between their view and the Orthodox view.
Ryan
I really enjoyed this little introduction to the Orthodox way and gleaned a number of fulfilling thoughts and practices from this book. That being said, I'm thankful for what I do and do not share with the Orthodox Tradition of Christianity. Overall this was a good and enjoyable book to read.
Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2014 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Orthodox Christians
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Fr. John Townsend
Explanation of the mystical life of the Orthodox Church. Orthodox Christianity is not a "religion," but is a way of life - a way of living - hence, "The Orthodox Way."

Ulyana
Read this book a while ago and I still remember bits and pieces. A nice book to read for an Orthodox person who wants to know more about his/her faith.
Jill
The go-to book for an intro to Orthodoxy!
Christ
This book literally changed my life in that it matured my views and belief in G-d. I was raised in a Pentecostal family, and by the age of 13 felt nothing but utter contempt for the Christian church. Nearly ten years later, I was having a rather constructive conversation with a train-hopping Christian, and he handed me this book and said simply, "I don't care if you give this book back to me, but you have to read it from cover to cover. It'll bring a new meaning to everything in life." I must sa ...more
Peter Landis
I think I misunderstood what the book was about. I had thought it was more of a defense/introduction to Orthodoxy, but in actuality it is a summary of Orthodox doctrine. This may not sound like much of a difference, but I was hoping for more information on the practice of Orthodoxy, and the significance of traditions and actions.

It was still good, in that it helped me realize just how close in essential doctrine Orthodoxy is to Protestant Christianity. This to me is a great encouragement.
Nate
Jan 11, 2008 Nate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: orthodox, theology
What a great starting point for my investigation of Eastern Orthodoxy. Kallistos Ware clearly elucidates the spirituality of the Orthodox church. After reading this book, I jumped head first into anything I could get my hands on about Orthodoxy. It's a Christian tradition that is often overlooked or lumped together with Catholicism, but it has very unique, ancient, and profound insights into what it means to experience and worship God.

Kevin Torres
The Orthodox Way is a brief overview of Orthodoxy written in a comprehensible manner. Excerpts from the writings of patristic giants of Orthodoxy and insightful analogies are given throughout the book to aid the reader along "the Way." Thanks be to God for the Orthodox Church and her Apostolic Tradition which was "once for all delivered to the saints." (Jude 1:3) and has been faithfully preserved and handed down to us in our present day.
Tom Hamilton
I especially like chapter 6 which gives the nuts and bolts of spirituality and explains sin in it's progression.A must read for anyone who is trying to climb the hill of sanctification. Very few know of the depths of spirituality found in the Orthodox tradition. It is well worth the time and effort. Bishop Ware is a master of consise explanation.
Rebekah Leland
Perhaps the best book on Orthodoxy--and really, Christianity in general-- I've read. This book reminds me of Mere Christianity in the way it is written (clear and very readable)-- I've often said Kallistos Ware is the new C. S. Lewis. Read this book if you are curious about Orthodoxy, or even if you aren't. Just read it.
Emily Ruth
As far as I know, this is widely considered the best introduction to Orthodox Christian spirituality in the English language. Metropolitain Kallistos is an extremely clear minded (and humorous!) person. I've had the opportunity to hear him speak twice and seen several video interviews he's given...hard to beat!
Rheta Thola
Excellent short book on the Orthodox faith. It is much shorter than The Orthodox Church (by same author)and I found the theology to be easier to follow in this concise book. It focuses on how the Orthodox understand God and covers different fundamental methods of thought.
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • Beginning to Pray
  • The Orthodox Study Bible: Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Philokalia, Volume 1: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy
  • On the Divine Images
  • Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives:  The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • Everyday Saints and Other Stories
  • Wounded by Love
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection (Cistercian studies 59)
  • The Christian Tradition 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom 600-1700
  • Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy
141955
His Excellency, the Most Reverend Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware) of Diokleia (b. 1934, also known by his lay name, Timothy Ware) is a titular metropolitan of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Great Britain. From 1966-2001, he was Spalding Lecturer of Eastern Orthodox Studies at Oxford University, and has authored numerous books and articles pertaining to the Orthodox Christian faith.
More about Kallistos Ware...
The Orthodox Church The Art of Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology The Inner Kingdom The Philokalia, Volume 2: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth The Power of the Name: The Jesus Prayer in Orthodox Spirituality (Fairacres Publication 43)

“In the Christian context, we do not mean by a "mystery" merely that which is baffling and mysterious, an enigma or insoluble problem. A mystery is, on the contrary, something that is revealed for our understanding, but which we never understand exhaustively because it leads into the depth or the darkness of God. The eyes are closed—but they are also opened.” 13 likes
“Love and hatred are not merely subjective feelings, affecting the inward universe of those who experience them, but they are also objective forces, altering the world outside ourselves...if this is true of my love, it is true to an incomparably greater extent of Christ's love. The victory of his suffering love upon the Cross does not merely set me an example, showing me what I myself may achieve if by my own efforts I imitate him. Much more than this, his suffering love has a creative effect upon me, transforming my own heart and will, releasing me from bondage, making me whole, rendering it possible for me to love in a way that would lie altogether beyond my powers, had I not first been loved by him.” 11 likes