Start by marking “Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy” as Want to Read:
Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy

Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,478 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The title represents the battle cry and motto of the famous Screaming Eagles of the 101st Airborne Regiment as they parachuted into Normandy in World War II. This story, told by a man who was there, was first published in 1967 and appears in mass market for the first time. Dwight D. Eisenhower called this book "a fascinating tale of personal combat".
Published September 12th 2000 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Currahee!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Currahee!

Currahee! by Donald R. BurgettEasy Company Soldier by Don MalarkeyThe Longest Winter by Alex KershawFlags of Our Fathers by James D. BradleyBiggest Brother by Larry Alexander
BEST non-fiction NOVELS
1st out of 22 books — 10 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferNight by Elie WieselSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
World War II Fiction & Non-fiction
78th out of 264 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Dirk Grobbelaar
So, how do you rate a war memoir? Literary merit? Hardly.

Consider: there are numerous scenes in here that would have been considered over-the-top or unrealistic had you come across them in a fictional setting. Problem is: this really happened (or at least there is no reason to doubt the book's claim to authenticity). No dramatic flourishes here either; it's a fact-by-fact, straight as a razor, recounting of events.

It is imperative that you read the introduction by Martin Blumenson since it she
Chrissy
This was a fast paced, quick read that I enjoyed. It's the first book in a series of 4 telling the author's story of being a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne during WWII. This book covers his initial jump training, his time leading up to D-Day, D-Day itself, and the subsequent battles that followed over the next few days. The author doesn't delve into bigger issues or about the war as a whole. He simply tells you what he himself went through, so it's very action-packed. He doesn't hold anythi ...more
Relstuart
A quick read but a good one. The author of this memoir was a paratrooper in WWII. In this book he tells his story of going thru training and how incredibly tough they were on people. Shocking how many people died during training. Those who washed out were sent to the military police (MP). Leading the paratroopers who made it resent the officious demeanor of the MPs.

If you have seen Band of Brothers and enjoyed it this is a great supplement as it shows some of the rougher edges and interesting t
Jonathan
Excellent memoir, honestly written, truly a no holds barred look at training and the fighting in Normandy as seen by Burgett. Highly recommended.
S.A. Bolich
I first read this book as a very young teen in a Reader's Digest Condensed version a few years after it came out, and the imagery has stuck with me for all these years. Some of the things he saw and survived were brutal and his luck was phenomenal, especially when you read all 4 of his books. This is one of the most straightforward and completely honest combat accounts ever written. Burgett spares neither himself nor those he feels screwed up around him, while giving praise wherever it is due. H ...more
John Nevola
Don Burgett takes the reader on an interesting odyssey of recruiting, training and deploying paratroopers in World War II in Currahee! The “airborne experiment” was totally new and untried in the United States Army and everything had to be learned from scratch. As a result, initial standards for volunteers were extremely high and the hard training reduced the number of men even further. The first airborne regiments consisted of the absolute best-of-the-best when they finally deployed to Europe. ...more
Shane Mcgonigal
Currahee is one of the best books that I have ever read. For a book on World War II, it is the best one that I have ever read.
Burgett is a natural story teller who brings you right into the training of a paratrooper (that might be correct, I'm not good with military terminology) and then onto the bloodstained country of France during D-day and the several days that were after it.
He goes into just enough detail to keep you reading but without going into long explanations. He does a marvelous job
Xon
Feb 27, 2011 Xon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: war
This reads almost as a diary. Burgett takes you from his training to become a paratrooper, to his life in England while waiting for the Normandy jump, to D-Day and the close fighting with Nazis that ensued in the days after. There is no strategy, no politics, no 40 year old man trying to make heads from tails on something that happened 70 years ago, and nobody's fourth hand interpretation of someone's stories or writings who was actually there. You feel like you are there in all the confusion an ...more
Michael Romo
This is the story of Donald Burgett, a nineteen year old Paratrooper with the 101st Airborne Division in World War II. Burgett's discriptions of battle are fascinating and brutal, especial those of the chaotic drops and heavy loads carried by the paratroopers. I also found very interesting his story of an Asian-American doctor in combat and his description of a medical evacuation from the Normandy beachhead.
Keith
Donald Burgett wrote 4 books about his experiences as a paratrooper. This is the first book. It is about training and his first combat jumping into France on D-Day. This is a great book from the private's point of view. Easily one of the most readable memoirs to come out of WW2.

I read this when I was about 12 and have read it over several times. I can't recommend it highly enough. If you want to know what the war was like throw out Stephen Ambrose and read this.

Mr. Burgett produced a video serie
Dave
Wow, just finished this read. It was recommended and given to me by a good friend who has a history major from Purdue University. He was right, this book puts you in the thick of battle during the Invasion of Normandy a few hours before "D DAY"!
You live the fighting, the action, the fear and the sorrow in real time. The conclusion is sweet victory. The book is endorsed by Eisenhower as "a fascinating first person tale of combat, courage and endurance!"
BRAVO...what a book!
Tony
Not as good as the other books I've read about the 101st, but this one was written 41 years ago before the whole "Band of Brothers" thing took off... Very interesting, pretty blunt and plain-spoken - makes you look at these guys as regular old human beings just like the rest of us. I think after watching Band of Brothers so many times I've sort of come to identify these men as their characters in the movie - but they're actual men who had the same fears and short-comings and desires as I do. Thi ...more
Granny2793
Ah Currahee; this book started it all... During 8th grade (a kid who hated reading) I picked this book to end the year on. This book was the greatest book I have ever read I stayed up all night (school night) reading this book. This book got me started on reading. Donald R. Burgett can write this series of novels takes you through the entire 101st tour from Normandy to Germany. It's not just a war story but a greater legend. Highly recommend this war series, make your son read it and who knows m ...more
Doug
This book should be required reading for all American citizens. Like E.B. Sledge's "With the Old Breed", "Currahee" opens the civilian's eyes to at least a glimpse of how difficult war is. It also gives one insight as to why we won World War II--because the guys doing most of the combat had been trained under excruciating circumstances and had volunteered for the toughest airborne units.

The bravery of these men (most around 19-20) should never be forgotten. They went up against the World's most
Jovan
Jun 22, 2014 Jovan marked it as to-read
Jenny
I really appreciate that it was written in a very clear and direct manner with anecdotes at appropriate places. Near the end it got a little tedious with the military descriptions but the stark details of what it was like more than made up for it. It definitely gave me a different perspective of the 101st and made me realize how terribly young all of these enlisted men were. I'd definitely recommend to any fan of Band of Brothers.
Hammonrs
Apr 08, 2008 Hammonrs rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hammonrs by: WWII buffs
Read the "praise for" page in the beginning of each book.
They say it much more accurately than I could. Four books
in this series (Currahee!, The Road to Arnhem, Seven Roads to Hell, and Beyond the Rhine), read them all. If you can't wade through all four books, at least read the last sentence in the last book.
This series makes a good contrast to Churchill's "Second World War" which describes the overview of the war.
Angela
We actually bought this book in Normandy at Utah Beach, when the author was there over Memorial Day weekend doing a book signing. The book is a really good account of one person's experience during D-Day. It gives a lot of insight into what it might have been like to be there, although I don't think anyone that wasn't there will ever be able to really understand. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Chas
I remember the Bantam edition fondly from my youth, which I *think* was called As Eagles Screamed or something dramatic like that. Burgett's books are pretty good, but they are all dreadfully short and need to be combined into one volume. As first-hand accounts from veterans go, this one is pretty evocative of the Normandy drop, probably his best, which ain't sayin' all that much.
June
Feb 08, 2008 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: war buffs, historical enthusiasts
Set in 1943, the author enlisted as a paratrooper. This book is a record of his encounter with war. The book has humor, pathos and it has violence and horror. I'd say it's quite a book if you care for this genre. I think it may be an entirely too accurate portrayal about of WWII.
Jeffrey Wood
The first "serious" book I ever read. As a kid, still reading comic books, I found a first publication copy on my father's book shelf. I've lost count how many times I've read it over the years. Great book.
Lee
I have read a lot of personal accounts on World War II, this is one of the best. It felt like I was there. I could not put it down. I have read it twice and may read it again.
Erick
An amazing autobiography from a soldier who fought a good fight. Burgett's writing style is not refined, but authentic. A must read for anyone who enjoys paratrooper stories.
Al
Good book that helps fill in some additional information about the 101st at Normandy. If you like Band of Brothers you need to read this one also... get balanced..
Kurt
An excellent, detailed account of a WWII paratrooper in the early days of the European invasion. I'm looking forward to completing the other three titles!
Hans Dickes
Was reading this book on a camping trip and my dad ripped it in half.
I guess it was because I was only half german and He is all german.
Steve
Very intense, brutal, and with zero fat. It's kind of an unsentimental Saving Private Ryan. I want to read all of Burgett's books.
Dennis
Met the author at Utah Beach, Normandy in May 2008. Having been to several places mentioned in the book really enhanced the read.
Mathew
First person account of a 101 Airborne trooper from basic training to D-Day. It will give you goosebumps. Fantastic!
CD
A great personal account of the paratroopers and their role in the invasion of Europe in WWII.
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
  • We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers
  • Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
  • Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • A Soldier's Story
  • Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck
  • Six Armies in Normandy: From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris; June 6 - Aug. 5, 1944
  • Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire
  • The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of World War II's Most Decorated Platoon
  • Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy
Donald R. Burgett is a writer and a former World War II paratrooper. He was among the Airborne troopers who landed in Normandy early on the morning of June 6, 1944 (D Day). He was a member of the 101st Airborne Division (United States), ("The Screaming Eagles"), and the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. Burgett served in 'A' Company, 1st Battalion, 506th PIR as both a rifleman and a machine-gunne ...more
More about Donald R. Burgett...
Seven Roads to Hell: A Screaming Eagle at Bastogne The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland Beyond the Rhine: A Screaming Eagle in Germany The Princess/At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends/The Least One/Currahee!/The Walking Stick (Reader's Digest Condensed Books - Volume III, 1967) Reader's Digest Condense Books volume 3 1967