Start by marking “It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2)” as Want to Read:
It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2)

It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,057 ratings  ·  150 reviews
A seasoned television professional—the host of the top-rated KEY News morning show—Eliza Blake has reported on tragedies many times from behind the anchor's desk . . . and she has survived devastating crises of her own. But only now is she learning the true meaning of terror when her seven-year-old daughter, Janie, is kidnapped from summer camp. Forced to suffer through a ...more
Published July 29th 2008 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It Only Takes a Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Only Takes a Moment

Shincrackerfarm
I hope Mary Jane Clark has more going for her than the similarity between her name and that of Mary Higgins Clark, a real writer. In fact, I suggest Mary Jane gets a good, secure "day job", as, if It Only Takes a Moment is exemplary of her talents, she'll need it.
Sometimes we are disappointed in a thriller. Sometimes we are thrilled. However, It Only Takes a Moment just left me pissed off. Real fictional pulp.
The writing is weak. The plot is contrived, but could have been partially saved by a c
Angie
Jul 24, 2010 Angie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nah !
Shelves: fiction
Audiobook -
Despite the depth of the subject matter ( kidnapping of a 7 year old little girl ) , this book was pure fluff . POOR fluff at that ! It drug in spots where it should have picked up pace and added to the suspense - it was short and lacking where it should have become deep and detailed . The conversations between characters seemed staged and without emotion . The abducted child's grandparents weren't even introduced into the story until the last disc and then were only very briefly m
V.R.
Jul 15, 2009 V.R. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want a quick summer read
Shelves: light-reading
Not a bad book by any stretch...quick pace, good hook. As my husband called it, "A suburbanite mom's paranoia summer read." I enjoyed it, kept turning the page, but I think there were too many characters introduced and not many of them seemed fully formed. When a new chapter would start with a new character, I had to flip back several times to remember if they'd already been introduced or not. I couldn't get a real sense of many of the characters, but this wasn't really a character driven story. ...more
Kristin
I have read her books before, after mistaken her for Mary Higgins Clark. However, this book left me lost. Not only were there too many characters, but the end was cheap and explained nothing. I get the impression Clark grew tired of the story and just stopped. So, Steph kidnapped the kids and gave them to Rhonda and David? Why? How had she known them?? And who is this 9 y.o. Nell? And why is such a fluffy book leaving me so baffled?
Heather
Diane
A well-rounded book, I recommend this read to anyone who likes a good mystery. Ms. Clark has done a good job of bringing the reader along on her twisting, turning journey into the kidnapping of a child and the events that follow.

Well Done!
Diane Davis White
Author, Moon of the Falling Leaves
Cynthia
Suspense? Wow, this was so scary and full of suspense. Who am I kidding? It was a fast, light read, but hardly thrilling, heart pumping suspense.
Meghan
It Only Takes a Moment was a susensful novel. It makes the reader think and up until the last page you dont know who has committed the crime.
Eliza Blake is a well known Tv Broadcaster, besides the fact that her husband was killed before their daughter Janie was born, she has a very good life. She makes a lot of money, has a nice house and housekeeper, a good job, and a wonderful daughter. It all changes when her housekeeper (Mrs. Garcia) and janie are abducted.
For Five days Mrs. Garcia and
Tmdalton
It Only Takes a Moment is a suspenful and thrilling book. While reading this book I was put into a state of mind that made me think outside the box. This book is set in a small town and in a high class neighborhood. Eliza Blake one of the main characters is a news reporter for Key News to America. Eliza thinks she has the perfect life, perfect job, and the perfect family. So, why would someone want to take that all away from her? Throughout the book we are told of the journey Janie and Mrs. Garc ...more
Kari Anderson
From Goodreads.com:
A seasoned television professional–the host of the top-rated KEY News morning show–Eliza Blake has reported on tragedies many times from behind the anchor’s desk . . . and she has survived devastating crises of her own. But only now is she learning the true meaning of terror when her seven-year-old daughter, Janie, is kidnapped from summer camp. Forced to suffer through a mother’s worst nightmare in the glare of the camera lights, Eliza finds herself trapped in a media circus
Karen
My Review of It Only Takes A Moment by Mary Jane Clark
In the tradition of James Patterson’s style of writing with the short, gripping, easily read chapters, Mary Jane Clark gives us the enthralling novel, It Only Takes a Moment. In the prologue, Eliza Blake, the heroine of the book, is walking up to a small casket in a funeral home. Immediately the reader knows they are in for a great page-turning ride as the first chapter then takes us back to a normal morning routine for Blake.
Eliza Blake is
Sue Smith
I was somewhat apprehensive when I started this book. I don't really like stories about child abduction. They make me squirm with discomfort. I just don't feel we need to write books about hurting kids ... personal feelings. But, I persevered and read it anyways. Thankfully, it wasn't a mean spirited book and it clipped along at a good pace - short chapters and easy reading. That being said, it wouldn't be a book that I would recommend reading over a long period of time. The constant flipping be ...more
Trisha W.
It has been a few years since I have read a book by Mary Jane Clark. I have two more books to read to be caught up with all of the books she has written. And even though I have not read her books in a while I had no problem picking this book up and remember exactly who Eliza Blake was.
The book starts off with Eliza at work and the housekeeper, Mrs. Garcia and Janie-Eliza's daughter- getting Janie ready to head to day camp. After Janie has left a mysterious black van pulls into the Blake's drive
Rhonda
Eliza Blake is the host of the highly popular KEY News morning show. She is used to dealing with the media when spellbinding news keeps the viewer riveted to their television set and the anchor tense and engaged. Leaving
Louise
A suspense filled novel that will keep you turning page after page as you hold your breath until you turn the next corner. Clark’s masterful description of a Mom in absolute anguish over the kidnapping of her young daughter is right on.

A seasoned television professional-the host of the top-rated KEY News morning show-Eliza Blake has reported on tragedies many times from behind the anchor’s desk...and she has survived devastating crises of her own. But only now is she learning the true meaning of
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Reviewed for Rebeccasreads.com

Author Mary Jane Clark is back with her latest novel involving Eliza Blake, the host of a morning news show on KEY News.

Eliza has lost her husband and it is now just her and her 7 year old daughter Janie. It is a normal day, Janie is off to camp for the day, Eliza is off to work and the housekeeper, Carmen, is doing her daily chores. All is going well until one of Carmen’s rituals backfires and she is taken against her will and forced to take Janie from camp, possib
Monica
I read this book for one reason only, I am participating in the 2015 Reading Challenge and one of the requirements is to read a book by an author with the same initials. I even went as far as to find an author with the same middle initial as myself. Despite this fact, I will not be reading another by her. So many characters and yet we get very little closure with most of them. The ending is abrupt and annoying. Not a recommended read.
Carol
Eliza Blake is a very famous and popular TV personality whose life is going along great until her daughter and housekeeper are kidnapped and everything turns around. The story follows the search for the child and the housekeeper and how Eliza's news friends and Eliza aid in the search. No spoilers so that's as much as I can tell other than people are not always what they seem to be.
Tracey T
Can't remember the last time a book sucked me in so quickly and completely. The typical novel takes me several weeks to read, as I usually only read at night. This book took me less than 36 hours as I couldn't put it down! I really liked all of the characters and love the twist. You may think you know who did it, but you're probably wrong!
Erin
Mar 07, 2014 Erin rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Either I missed something along the way or this story's ending did not make sense... Near as I can tell the villain is three people in one with no connecting info from the author. Maybe it's in a subsequent book? Annoying. Mary Jane Clark is following the Mary Higgins Clark formula, but Mary Higgins Clark she is not.
Phyllis Gauker
Nicely put together. Suspicion is cleverly dropped on everyone with an interest in Eliza and Janie, some without the knowledge of the FBI. Only the reader is privy to this information. I had only one issue with the book and that was to me the unresolved issue of the knife. That was never finalized to my satisfaction. But it is a good read, and a fast one.
Susan Ross
This is a quick paced book with twists and turns. It deals with the kidnapping of the seven-year-old daughter of Eliza Blake, the successful host of a news show.

The focus of the book is to try and guess who, out of a cast of characters, perpetrated the dastardly deed. Although the story is somewhat confusing at times, I sill enjoyed the fast pace and style (short chapters) of the book.

The housekeeper's decision to obey the kidnappers initial demands made no sense to me and when I finished the
Meredith Foster
This was the first Mary Jane Clark book I read. It was okay, but I do not think I would read another one. There were too many characters to keep track of and it was a bit confusing especially when the kidnapper was revealed.
Keolani
Nov 10, 2008 Keolani rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: casual reader
I couldn't get myself to care about these characters in the slightest. Every couple of pages brought a new chapter and a new character. By the time I got remotely interested in what was going on the story switched gears. Instead of writing an intricate plot with twists and turns, Clark just threw in as many random, unnecessary characters that were difficult to keep straight, perhaps because I wasn't given a reason to care, and hoped that would be enough to keep the reader in suspense. I felt lik ...more
joyce lynn
i think this was Clark's best book yet, especially suspense-wise! was SSOOO good, i had a difficult time putting it down!! in fact ...

i didn't, last nite! picked it up, and continued to read, til i hit the last page!! if i'm grumpy, or fall asleep, w/ my children today while teaching them, it's all HER fault!!! 8^)

can't wait til she writes another one now, but ... alas, i must 8^(

oh yeah, and surprisingly enough, it did NOT make me homesick for NJ, NY, and/or Pa. could be the whole murder mess t
Denise
This was a good book. I enjoyed the story of finding out who the kidnappers were. I enjoy Mary Jane Clark books and her writing style
Linsey
So many different stories going on in one story. I really didnt figure out who the kidnapper was till the very end. Not a bad read.
Julie
It fooled me. The ending totally surprised me...I had been deceived! Love it! Good book.
Monica
hmmm..I'm not too sure how I feel about this novel. Throughout the whole book you are introduced to different characters who of course have somethng to do with the plot. The whole story alone is very suspenseful..keeps you guessing til the very end.
Now the end is what kind of surprised me. I feel that Clark built up so much suspense, just to leave the reader like "what the heck?" in the ending.

I would still recommend it to anyone who loves a great suspenseful novel. Overall the story was great.
Athornton
I originally picked up this book, thinking it was written by Mary Higgins Clark until I got home and realized it wasn't. I was originally not holding high hopes since I was disappointed thinking it wasn't one of my favorite authors. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was also a mystery book, written similarly to an MHC book. Easy to read and even a little curve ball at the end of the book but I actually read the last line and turned the page to see where the rest was. I thought it could ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: It Only Takes a Moment 1 10 Feb 01, 2015 09:51PM
The ending? 4 15 Nov 07, 2013 07:52PM
  • Cursed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #12)
  • The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2)
  • Nightmare in Shining Armor (Den of Antiquity, #8)
  • Masquerade
  • Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea
  • Death's Half Acre (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #14)
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • Knock 'em Dead (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #2)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

Sunrise Suspense Society (2 books)
  • When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1) Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1) Nobody Knows (KEY News #5) When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1) Footprints in the Sand (Wedding Cake Mystery, #3)