Start by marking “Life's Too F***Ing Short: A Guide to Getting What You Want Out of Life Without Wasting Time, Effort or Money” as Want to Read:

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  195 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
An indispensable guide for women to surviving in the 21st century. It shows how to combine work, relationships, friends, fashion, health, shopping, cooking, etc. without using up valuable time which could be spent enjoying yourself.
Published 2008 by Quadrille Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Life's Too F***Ing Short, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's Too F***Ing Short

Manasee Narvilkar
Sep 19, 2012 Manasee Narvilkar rated it did not like it
Life's too f***ing short to spend time on this book.
Cassie
Mar 21, 2011 Cassie rated it really liked it
This book is a fun read. Janet's humor is injected into each page. Each page has character and details to enhance the feel of the page. Like you're looking through a personal scrapbook. She makes some excellent points to ponder. While at other times her cynicism paints a picture of a very lonely life. Overall, you can tell she's quite a sassy lady with some keen insight she is sharing. Life is too f***ing short, so take a read! It's an easy read and whether you enjoy her writing or not, her phil ...more
Vicky Ashwell
I can't say anything in this book was a revelation. I think JSP's target audience must have been shrinking violets with no ability to make an assertive decision or think for themselves. She does make some good points but on the whole it felt like she was shouting at me all the way through the book and I felt like I was constantly being patronised. JSP has some very strong views, many of which I disagree with but you had the feeling that she is the type of person who believes she is always right ...more
Veerlez
Apr 03, 2016 Veerlez rated it it was ok
Wat een boek, de eerste zin is dat JSP (wie?) in de kracht van positiviteit geloofd en vervolgens is bijna elke zin negatief. Ze commandeert ons lezers met wat we allemaal niet zouden moeten doen in plaats van richtlijnen die wel helpen. In het eerste hoofdstuk noemde ze al dat je relaties niet te diep moest laten gaan, omdat je er dan gekwetst uit zal komen. Dat is niet hoe ik wil leven. Toch heeft ze met sommige dingen wel gelijk, maar sta ik gewoon niet achter de manier van verwoorden. De vor ...more
Nadine
Oct 27, 2013 Nadine rated it liked it
JSP writes exactly as she speaks, very witty and opinionated. Sometimes you do wonder if she actually comes from the same planet, she forgets some people can't actually afford to shop at farmer's markets, nice if you can but it is a privilege that not everyone actually gets to experience - if you live alone or with 1 other person though then it is cheaper than the supermarket, it's only if you have a family to provide for that it gets prohibitive for most people. Don't always agree with what she ...more
Alison
May 17, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it
I like people with opinions, and even though I disagreed with many of JSP's, I still enjoyed this book. She stresses striving for independence, individuality, and self-respect, and ironically, for someone who makes a living in the media, not believing the hype of media - and that I can agree with wholeheartedly.
Harriet-lisa
Apr 07, 2014 Harriet-lisa rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant!

This book really helped me out of a not so fabulous self-image, and I always keep it handy for those grey days. It is a hilarious read, packed with brutal honesty, and proof that everyone has a bad hair do sometimes!!

Amy
Apr 21, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the creative set up of the book which looks much like a scrapbook. It has a good message reminding us life is short and we often get caught up in the silly stuff instead of what is meaningful and lasting.
Norma
Nov 27, 2014 Norma rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! I love JSP's no nonsense approach to everyday living. Too many people are quick to moan and complain about themselves but not prepared to help themselves. I think everyone needs a bit of JSP's get off you arse attitude!
Jody
I picked this up on a whim at my favorite book haunt, the Salvation Army and it reminded me of a book I want to read called the "F#ck It Philosophy". It was a quick read and honestly could have been a magazine article really. While at times I thought it was funny, I couldn't relate to the whole world of personal stylists, decorators, etc..so I'm definitely the wrong demographic for this particular self help book. I understand the author is a well known 'larger than life' personality in Britain ...more
Rachel
Jul 30, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
A very entertaining read. I took it away with me to Madrid and it was good reading during siestas!

JSP is blunt and nearly always amusing when giving advice on living your life her style. I use the term 'advice' loosely as I think JSP would think you just need to "F****ING DO IT - DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT. IT'S NOT OPTIONAL, YOU MORON."
I love the fact that she manages to swipe at a few former colleagues, fellow journalists and family along the way.

I'm looking forward to reading her follow up to Ba
Peter Hall
Mildly entertaining but not packed with many insights.
Bren
Apr 16, 2015 Bren rated it liked it
Not as funny as I had hoped with an acerbic tone I wasn't expecting.
Rebecca Haslam
Jan 14, 2014 Rebecca Haslam rated it did not like it
I now understand why this book was 50p in a clearance sale. I was so glad when I finally turned the last page. Don't get me wrong, there is some helpful advice and whatnot in here, I just don't plan on paying attention to any of it.
Viv
Apr 07, 2008 Viv rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Like her or loathe her, JSP knows about food and cookery. A humourous, light-hearted serious book about life, the universe, the rip-off that is face cream and everything connected with being a woman, JSP-style. I don't suppose even she expects you to hang on to her every word, and I didn't, especially the bit about making up school qualifications on your CV. Know where she is coming from, tho. Worth a look. They've got it in GOMA Glasgow.
Philippa
Sep 08, 2013 Philippa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Sassy no-words-minced advice from a sassy woman! Read this many years ago but was inspired to read it again after seeing her on Celebrity Masterchef. Janet plays by her own rules and while I think perhaps you need to be a bit more flexible in life than she appears to be, I like her advice. She advocates setting your own agenda rather than being brainwashed by the media about what your life "should" look like.
Katie
Dec 09, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home, house, maintenance
I bought this as a cheap quick easy read whilst on a family holiday. Quite interesting makes some good points and has some good ideas but the author has quite an ego at times! Also I think when she made most of the points she was assuming the reader would be well off enough to be able to follow them. If you ignore these things though then it is a good little read!
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
Never heard of her. A super quick fun read. All her opinion about things she's learned in 60+ years. I learned that my skin creams might stop working for me because my skin, like my hair, reacts to the same old same old and would like something new. Walk lots. Find a dressmaker/tailor. Use the personal shopping services of a good department store.
Sylvia
Jul 30, 2010 Sylvia rated it really liked it
This book has a few good recipes. i suggest reading it in stages - as the whole life's too effing short gets a bit too effing much after a while.... all in all i thought it was a good read. I purchased it because i thought it would be a humorous book, however it is a serious self help type of book... not exactly what i had in mind but oh well..
Sharon
Jul 02, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
A funny little book covering almost everything in life from friends to furniture to food. It's a bit like an extended magazine article - easy to read, slightly inspiring at the time but you soon forget it all afterwards! It's comical in places and JSP is so opinionated - it's not a self help book - she is telling you what to do OR ELSE!!
Booksdingle
Apr 12, 2011 Booksdingle rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed-library
A lighthearted/tongue in cheek look at lots of modern day issues that we probably should worry less about written in Janet Street-Porters distinctive style. The kind of book you can read in one or two sittings, that is fairly entertaining and that you find yourself agreeing with quite often.
Lenny
Jan 14, 2014 Lenny rated it really liked it
leuk om door te bladeren
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: loved-this-one
Great book, full of commen sense. I like that it is not so much a self help book, but a book of advise on listening to your own induividual wants and desires, and do what you like, not what some expert tells you is right.

Recomended read
Saritha
May 24, 2012 Saritha rated it it was ok
JSP is downright hilarious - much like a madcap aunt who tells you to stop stressing about your looks or your life and simply cut the crap.

I wouldn't buy the book, but it was a pretty good and breezy read as a library book.
Vanessa
Jul 13, 2008 Vanessa rated it liked it
Go Janet! Obviously written by a woman with no children who has been able to focus entirely on (herself) her career ... Hilarious, but completely ridiculous. Good for a laugh.
Kelly
May 23, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Sassy advice from a sassy broad. Easy to read. Janet Street-Porter has a good sense of humor. And keeps her message simple.
Jamie Howerton
May 20, 2012 Jamie Howerton rated it liked it
This book wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be. That being said, it was entertaining and funny at times.
Jenniek
Jul 25, 2012 Jenniek rated it did not like it
Ik denk dat mijn verwachtingen misschien te hoog waren, maar ik vond hem erg tegenvallen.
Teresa D
Feb 10, 2012 Teresa D rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
JSP doing what JSP does best,and making me laugh.
Elizabeth
Jun 20, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
a short simply amusing afternoon read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Daisy Bates in the Desert: A Woman's Life Among the Aborigines
  • The Nation's Favourite Love Poems
  • Simply Irresistible: Unleash Your Inner Siren and Mesmerize Any Man, with Help from the Most Famous - and Infamous - Women in History
  • Return to Tibet
  • The Merry-Go-Round in the Sea
  • The Diary of a Provincial Lady
  • Eye of the Albatross: Visions of Hope and Survival
  • The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behavior
  • The Parrot's Lament, and Other True Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity
  • Dart