Start by marking “Elissa's Odyssey (Phoenix Rising, #2)” as Want to Read:
Elissa's Odyssey (Phoenix Rising, #2)

Elissa's Odyssey (Phoenix Rising #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
IT’S HARD FOR Elissa to comprehend everything that has happened to her. In Elissa’s Quest, she discovered the truth about her father, and she and her new friend, Maya, just barely escaped a madman’s clutches. And Elissa’s Gift is not only growing in power . . . it’s changing. Elissa could always speak to animals, but now she’s able to control other things in the natural wo ...more
Published June 24th 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Elissa's Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elissa's Odyssey

Tasha
Jul 14, 2008 Tasha rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Phoenix Rising trilogy, following Elissa's Quest. It continues the journey of Elissa after she and her friend Maya escape the evil Khan. Elissa and Maya are set to travel via river after surviving the heat and dryness of the desert. However, when Elissa heads to market for a gift to surprise her friend, she is drugged and robbed, missing the boat. Luckily, a young sailor finds her and offers her a job as a ship's cook aboard the cobbled-together Swamp Maiden. So he ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Aug 04, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Cat for TeensReadToo.com

Summertime is the travel season for most, and an ideal time to pick up ELISSA'S ODYSSEY, the second book of the PHOENIX RISING trilogy.

After making their escape from the evil ruler, Kahn, Princess Elissa, her constant companion and lifelong confidant, Gertrude the donkey, Ralph the camel, and Elissa's new friend, Maya, are led across the Great Oasis by the Blue People of the southern desert, to the city of Alhamazar as the group continue with their quest to r
Tim Earle
Jul 18, 2008 Tim Earle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All readers
Recommended to Tim by: The local librarian
I just finished reading Elissa's Odyssey (the second book of the Phoenix Rising Trilogy). It was great! It was fast-paced, entertaining and funny. I especially liked Favian, the male protagonist. He's a little darker than the other characters, which I thought lent depth to the interactions. What I really like about both this book and Elissa's Quest is that the author covers a lot of ground. It has all the elements of a fantasy - a prophecy, people with magical gifts, a quest - but it also explor ...more
catherine james
Summertime is the travel season for most and an ideal time to pick up ELISSA'S ODYSSEY, the second book of the Phoenix Rising Trilogy. After making their escape from the evil ruler Kahn, Princess Elissa, her constant companion and lifelong confidant, Gertrude the donkey, Ralph the camel, and Elissa's new friend Maya, are led across the Great Oasis by the Blue People of the southern desert, to the city of Alhamazar as the group continue with their quest to return Elissa and Maya to their respecti ...more
Cindy
Aug 04, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
I really wish this series had gone somewhere because it had so much potential for a children's story. But I find that nothing happens, and so much it taken up on nothing. The idea is there but it doesn't deliever.

This girl has powers but it's not explained or developed, so we're essentially reading about..... a plain girl. The other stuff is all shadowed in mystery like that'll keep us reading instead of making it interesting.

This book is a little better then the rest but the main action part
Linda
Oct 02, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I hate to tear down the efforts of an author I will say that although this book is well written, I didn't feel that I really got to know Elissa. This is not a stand alone book. I did not read the first book in the series and apparently that is crucial to understanding, at least to my understanding. Who is Elissa? Where did she come from? It was even difficult for me to figure out what kind of world she lives in. I'd like to hear what other people think about this book.
Steffy
Sep 06, 2009 Steffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really happy Elissa's Odyssey was out by the time I finished Elissa's Quest. I don't think I could have waited a year to find out what was going to happen. The second book was even better than the first--more adventure, more cool characters, more danger. The Swamp Maiden crew was something else--Billy Buck was my favorite. I loved the scenes in the jungle, especially with Night and Shadow (black panthers). And Favian is a really cool character. Can't wait for the next book!
Alyssa
Nov 27, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody
Recommended to Alyssa by: A friend
This book was even better than the first one (Elissa's Quest). The only thing I didn't like about it was the cover. (Elissa looks like a Miss Piggy.) Aside from that, the story was great. Favian was really cool. (Every fantasy needs a magic sword.) (I am assuming it's magic.) Aesha Windsinger is a mystery still, but I thought she was a great addition. The crew of the Swamp Maiden was hilarious. I'm very excited about the next book in the trilogy.
Ruth Learn
Mar 24, 2015 Ruth Learn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Animal lovers
A good read. I think this book had a couple of cheesy moments, but mostly good, and more fast-paced than the first one. Also, the development of the characters was nice... Especially Elissa, who has always been somewhat complex, but is becoming more and more so. Plus, I love the cover!
Muriel
Mar 24, 2014 Muriel rated it it was amazing
Great story line and wonderful read for weekend.
Allison
Mar 09, 2011 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Elissa's adventure continues in this light second installment. It is a quick and fun read in which Elissa discovers even more about her magic. The first book in the series is a must read to fully comprehend what's going on in this book.
Tammy
Nov 26, 2008 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Tammy by: I read the first one
I love this book more than chocolate, and that's saying a lot. Favian is beyond cool, and Aesha Windsinger has amazing eyes. The story is exciting, and the writing is beautiful. I will be the first in line when the next book comes out.
Emily
Jun 09, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous book from Erica Verrillo. Her detail draws a perfect picture in the mind of the reader. It's easy to connect and relate to for people of all ages, especially women. Beautiful, beautiful work.
Sheralyn
Sep 10, 2008 Sheralyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, clean-teen
So glad to see Elissa as head strong as ever. Never expected her to talk with insects, but I guess it was coming. I sure hope that young noble stops being so noble.
Emily
Nov 16, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
More of the same from book one. Unexciting writing, and the minor characters are more interesting than the main one.
Lisa Pfeffer
Aug 20, 2009 Lisa Pfeffer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Great 2nd book in the trilogy, easy reading and exciting
this triliogy is great book for a book club
Clare D' Lune
Sep 13, 2008 Clare D' Lune rated it really liked it
I definatly thought this second book was far better than the first...
Allyson
Aug 18, 2008 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Delightful!
Halimah
Halimah rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Hannah
Hannah added it
Jan 17, 2016
Mona M
Mona M added it
Jan 16, 2016
Isabel
Isabel rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Manal
Manal added it
Jan 04, 2016
Alyssa Darcy
Alyssa Darcy rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Klaudi
Klaudi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Jessica Enkh
Jessica Enkh rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
  • Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do
  • Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing)
  • I Want Candy
  • Eleganta: A Novel of Fairykind
  • The Legend of Mickey Tussler
  • Witch Dreams
  • What If . . . You Broke All the Rules
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • Heretic
  • Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies.
  • Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration, Vol. 1
  • Mountain Laurel
  • The Billionaire Takes A Bride
  • A Heart For Any Fate: Westward To Oregon, 1845
  • Aunt Sophie's Diamonds
  • Poetic Justice
  • The Singer's Crown
  • Lavender Lady
My daughter fell ill when she was eight, and for nearly two years she was unable to attend school. I spent a great deal of that time entertaining her with stories about an intrepid young girl named Elissa, who could talk with animals. Many years later she asked me to write those stories down. (I did, because I do everything my daughter says.) Once I had written them down, she told me to get them p ...more
More about Erica Verrillo...

Phoenix Rising (3 books)
  • Elissa's Quest (Phoenix Rising, #1)
  • World's End (Phoenix Rising, #3)

“Go on with ye! I'd never take a carving knife to 'Lissa's dad. I'd use a cleaver.” 0 likes
“Until we meet again. There are no goodbyes in this world.” 0 likes