Start by marking “Who Hoots?” as Want to Read:
Who Hoots?

Who Hoots?

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Dogs don't hoot. Pigs don't hoot. Horses don't hoot. Owls don't hoot. Owls don't hoot? YES THEY DO!

And so begins this funny follow-up to the popular Who Hops? An irresistible repetitive text and bold, bright images of animals combine in a book that is sure to have preschoolers hooting (and buzzing and quacking and roaring) loudly!
Published May 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Who Hoots?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Hoots?

Amy Murray
Three year olds will find this book totally entertaining, given the Silly Factor...goofy facts about animals mixed in with the author trying to convince you that owls don't hoot and ducks don't quack...what's not to love?
Linda
Who hoots? Not this animal, not that animal, not this one either...but wait, this one does! It's a fun pattern which repeats using different animals sounds and ends up introducing many kinds of animals and the sounds they do...or don't make. Once the sound is matched with the correct animal a few extra facts about the animal are also given. The animals say cute witty thing adding to the amusement. The illustrations are very bold and bright, almost making them difficult to look at, but would be g ...more
Vicki
A tricky book for young listeners, but it creates audience participation. The pictures are strange and brilliant colors, sort of Todd Parr-ish.
Kelsey Yates
Cute, silly fun.
jacky
Nov 05, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers, preschoolers
We read a lot of books like this one at the 0-2 year old story time. In this one, four animals will be said to not make a noise (hoot, buzz, etc), but the last one really does. The last animal, a person, can do all the noises, and the librarian invited the kids to make them all in turn. Brightly colored illustrations.
Alisa
My two-year-old loves this book, especially saying "who hoots". Fun story with bright colorful illustrations of different animals and what they do. Plus, adults reading can learn things about the animals. I loved how this book developed from a game the author played with her kids while stuck in traffic. Fun!
Kristen
Cute, love the colorful illustrations, but not sure it's the best for toddler story time. Or maybe it was just because it was the last book I read and everyone was losing interest. I think it would work well in preschool story time--the kids would love correcting what the animals do and don't say.
Joanna
Serves as both a quiz and an opportunity to make animal noises for the little-little ones.
Elaine
The story is very good for a young audience during storytime. Throughout the story, animals are introduce asking whether they "hoot." The illustrations and font size are also good. Certain sentences were a little confusing but fortunately, could always be improvised.
Rakisha
When in doubt on what to read for a lapsit or preschool program, I chose Who Hoots? It's funny, colorful, and perfect for crowd participation. Older kids will laugh and younger kids will be mesmerized by the colors and illustrations. You can't go wrong with Who Hoots?
The Styling Librarian
Terrific easy read success book. I know kids will enjoy being the knowledgeable ones when reading this book and also love the pattern throughout. Fun pictures and captions as well.
Janey
The (non-dialogue bubble) text is all right, but the art drives me craaaaazy.
April
A perfect book for my two-year old class. They love it and so do I.
Katie Casey
This has quickly become one that we have to read EVERY night.
Constance
Cute and funny, with a few fun scientific facts about animals.
Stacy Vance
Great pictures. My kids laughed throughout this book.
Elizabeth
Catherine's favorite this week.
Carrie
Owls don't hoot. YES THEY DO.
Lisa
teaches animal sounds
Michelle
An assault to the eyes.
Keeley
Keeley marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Destiny
Destiny is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2015
Adam
Adam added it
Jun 06, 2015
Anne
Anne added it
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Katie Davis has written and/or illustrated 10 books for children, and two marketing guides for writers.

Katie’s a "writerpreneur," a writer in business helping other writers. She does this through her newsletter, products, and #1 podcast, Brain Burps About Books.

After winning the School Library Journal Trailee Award, Katie launched Video Idiot Boot Camp: For People Who Think Videos Are Hard To Crea
More about Katie Davis...
Kindergarten Rocks! Who Hops? The Curse of Addy McMahon Dancing With The Devil Mabel the Tooth Fairy and How She Got Her Job