Start by marking “When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  401 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
They're hallmarks of childhood. The endless "why" questions. The desire to touch and taste everything. The curiosity and the observations.

It can't be denied-children have an inherent desire to know. Teachers and parents can either encourage this natural inquisitiveness or squelch it. There is joy in the classroom when children learn-not to take a test, not to get a grade,
Published April 7th 2004 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about When Children Love to Learn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Children Love to Learn

Cindy Rollins
May 04, 2016 Cindy Rollins rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I found this to be excellent and practical. I tend to prefer to build my practicalities on philosophy and this book gives just the right amount of both. When I first started reading it last August I thought my days of homeschooling were over but as I finish it up here in May I am thinking of how to arrange my next homeschool year with a new student. This book has given me the tools I need to add structure to our days.
travelgirlut
Oct 11, 2010 travelgirlut rated it it was ok
This book really didn't add anything to my knowledge of how to teach under the Charlotte Mason philosophy beyond what I had gained for free off the internet. I had hoped it would have more modern applications like the title implies, but things like the internet and computers and such are only briefly mentioned in asides and not as elements of any curriculum. The book doesn't even give a complete curriculum outline. It just gives samples from a couple grades, not enough to even build my own curri ...more
Karen
Feb 02, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom
Originally read this in 2010 when I bought it from a Carole Joy Seid conference. I am so glad I highlighted it! Re-read the highlights and more and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was one of the reasons we decided to do this method of homeschooling. I love it and need to go back to this method..krb 2/2/16
Bambi Moore
Apr 13, 2017 Bambi Moore rated it liked it
Good. Not as good as I had hoped. My favorite applied CM philosophy book is still Andreola's.
momma.hailey
Jul 13, 2017 momma.hailey rated it really liked it
Practical and encouraging. This book was foundational in my understanding Charlotte Mason. And it spurred me to want to read her original volumes.
Jayme
Jul 16, 2017 Jayme rated it really liked it
A practical application, indeed. This text provided not only a lovely summary of the fundamental philosophy behind the Mason method but also gave specific and concrete examples of their implementation. I found it both inspiring and helpful.
Charissa
Jun 06, 2017 Charissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Lots of helpful information and suggestions for educating with the Charlotte Mason approach. I especially liked their procedure lists for nature study, picture study, and music appreciation.
Vivian
Jan 02, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, education
Anyone who shares an interest in educational philosophy will at some point need to look at Charlotte Mason, an educator during the Victorian era whose vision lives on in today's learning landscape. This volume makes her work accessible through the editor's forward and instructive essays by educators well versed in her methods.

Having attended several Mason workshops during the years I was raising my children I found her methods to be very duplicatable and effective. So it was with interest I read
Mary Frances
I decided to read this because it seems to be one of the two books that inpires many people to pursue a Charlotte Mason education for their children. I think it would be useful to keep on hand to give to other moms who are having trouble figuring out what this sort of education looks like practically. However, after having spent countless hours on the Ambleside Online forums and having taught my children this way for four years the material here was mostly review because I've already worked out ...more
Skedatt
Jan 12, 2011 Skedatt rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have to actually discipline myself to make it through a nonfiction book from cover to cover, and I am glad that I did with this one.

This is technically my first introduction to Charlotte Mason's philosophy of teaching and I find that I agree with most of her major principles.

As to the book itself, it was set up well and I found myself duly educated with a direction to take.

All in all: well worth the read.
Celeste
Nice ideas, but few practical suggestion.

This book claims to be a practical application of Charlotte Mason's ideas, but it seems instead to be a lot of (albeit poetic) philosophizing. You will not find book lists, discipline plans, or practical teacher to teacher advice. This book left me thinking a Charlotte Mason school sounds very nice in theory, but I have little more notion of how to implement it as a teacher than I did before reading this book.
Tiffany
Oct 23, 2008 Tiffany rated it liked it
A good explanation of Charlotte Mason's educational philosophy. It was a bit dry (although that may be unavoidable given the nature of the subject). I would like to have seen a bit more about application as it applies to today's academic environment and also some statistics about how these children do upon entering public schools and colleges.
Ashley Jackson
May 24, 2016 Ashley Jackson rated it really liked it
I had started reading this book a year ago but was just having a hard time getting through it. I stopped and now that my oldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall, I soaked up everything and found it very helpful. My advice is if you only have young children, just enjoy your time with them then read this when you are really going to start Charlotte Mason schooling for your child.
Kim  Neve
Jul 02, 2011 Kim Neve rated it it was amazing
I read this with my CM Book Club back in 2005, and am re-reading it again with some of the ladies from my book club now. It is empowering and affirming to me, now that we have three CM homeschooled graduates.

A CM education can help foster and feed children into incredible, individual, strong, confident adults.
Kari
May 05, 2008 Kari added it
Shelves: homeschool
I've read most books on Charlotte Mason's philosophy but somehow I had missed this one. I'm loving it. It has reminded me why I chose homeschooling in the first place. I want my daughter to LOVE learning not just graduate. It's been a great refresher and a real encouragement to this burned out homeschool mom.
Lisa
Jul 01, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
I just couldn't get interested in this book. It wasn't what I was looking for. I was hoping for something that would help me put the charlotte mason method into practice. Unfortunately this is not what I was looking for, but it was what my library had to offer.
Katie
Feb 09, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Good solid overview of Charlotte Mason's philosophies, but I found For The Children's Sake much more inspiring and A Charlotte Mason Companion much more helpful in applying Miss Mason's ideas.
Angie Jones
May 28, 2014 Angie Jones rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for every parent who has a nagging sense that education in America today isn't quite right but isn't exactly sure why. This book will give you hope that there are schools out there that are doing it right but you have to know what to look for.
Gena Rowe
Mar 15, 2016 Gena Rowe rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for those wishing to implement Charlotte Mason's methods. Although much is geared in many ways for application within a school setting, this is also helpful for those that want to homeschool using this philosophy.
Sagira
Sep 16, 2012 Sagira rated it it was amazing
The book's title says it all. If you would like to apply Charlotte Mason's philosophy in your home, buy this book. It's doable, and workable. I've been homeschooling the CM way for almost five years now, with great results.
Teresa
Jun 02, 2011 Teresa added it
Wonderful! Motivates and inspires teachers and parents to teach their children with the knowledge that they are fully human and fully capable of grasping what the Lord has for them to learn about His world.
Larisha
Apr 21, 2013 Larisha rated it really liked it
Great refresher for me....nicely summarizing what the Charlotte Mason method of education is & what it's not. This resource goes to the heart of the subjects. It's about a special way of viewing children and education, mixed in with some great proven methods of learning.
Kaylee
Jan 12, 2015 Kaylee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school, favorites
Excellent thoughts on Charlotte Mason's method for schools and home schools. I really appreciated some of their explanations for practical application of the methods. It was encouraging and will stretch me in my own teaching.
Karie
Sep 25, 2009 Karie rated it liked it
The subtitle is misleading, to my mind, as the majority of the essays address public school teachers applying Charlotte Mason methods in the classroom, with just a brief nod to homeschooling parents. It wasn't the book I was looking for.
Silvia Cachia
Jul 17, 2014 Silvia Cachia rated it really liked it
This is the book that inspired me to investigate CM's philosophy.
Judith Middlebrooks
So so...

This book deals with Charlotte Mason theory. It is not so much a "practical application" as the title would suggest.
Jamie Griffith
Dec 18, 2013 Jamie Griffith rated it liked it
It was ok. For homeschooling there are better resources than this one. For method, read charlotte's original works.
Bugandme
Oct 09, 2010 Bugandme rated it liked it
has some good ideas but i think i want to read from mason herself before making a decision about the philosohpy overall.
Michaiah
Jun 28, 2016 Michaiah rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
My favorite book out there on the Charlotte Mason method. So practical yet still so inspirational. If I had to choose only one book to read on cm this would be the one.
SuzanneG
Jul 01, 2009 SuzanneG rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-education
This is my second time through this one in the past few years, and it's always an inspiration.
  • For the Children's Sake
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • The Way They Learn
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
  • A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion

“Who is the learner and what is his or her relationship to knowledge and learning? Is he or she basically good or evil (or both)? Passive or active in learning? Capable of choice, or has life already been determined somehow? Motivated internally or externally? An unmarked slate or having unrealized potential? These questions are answered every day in every classroom, daycare center, or basketball court—answered by the way children are viewed and treated by adults.” 0 likes
“While When Children Love to Learn affirms the value of good and great achievements in a wide variety of fields, this book soundly rejects the view that a child’s ultimate worth lies in either intelligence, material circumstances, what he or she might become through grooming or talent, or anything else except in this remarkable fact—that he or she has been made in the image of a personal and infinite God and is especially confirmed by Jesus: “. . . of such is the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 19:14).” 0 likes