Start by marking “When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  36 reviews
They're hallmarks of childhood. The endless "why" questions. The desire to touch and taste everything. The curiosity and the observations.

It can't be denied-children have an inherent desire to know. Teachers and parents can either encourage this natural inquisitiveness or squelch it. There is joy in the classroom when children learn-not to take a test, not to get a grade,
Published April 7th 2004 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about When Children Love to Learn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Children Love to Learn

travelgirlut
This book really didn't add anything to my knowledge of how to teach under the Charlotte Mason philosophy beyond what I had gained for free off the internet. I had hoped it would have more modern applications like the title implies, but things like the internet and computers and such are only briefly mentioned in asides and not as elements of any curriculum. The book doesn't even give a complete curriculum outline. It just gives samples from a couple grades, not enough to even build my own curri ...more
Vivian
Anyone who shares an interest in educational philosophy will at some point need to look at Charlotte Mason, an educator during the Victorian era whose vision lives on in today's learning landscape. This volume makes her work accessible through the editor's forward and instructive essays by educators well versed in her methods.

Having attended several Mason workshops during the years I was raising my children I found her methods to be very duplicatable and effective. So it was with interest I read
Angie Jones
I highly recommend this book for every parent who has a nagging sense that education in America today isn't quite right but isn't exactly sure why. This book will give you hope that there are schools out there that are doing it right but you have to know what to look for.
Tania
Great book for educators and parents to read as you try to sort out your own personal philosophy. A simple presentation of Charlotte Mason's philosophy.
Judith Middlebrooks
So so...

This book deals with Charlotte Mason theory. It is not so much a "practical application" as the title would suggest.
Silvia Cachia
This is the book that inspired me to investigate CM's philosophy.
Adrienne
Best book about the Charlotte Mason method. Hands down.

Amy
love CM, but this was not as practical I would like.
Skedatt
I have to actually discipline myself to make it through a nonfiction book from cover to cover, and I am glad that I did with this one.

This is technically my first introduction to Charlotte Mason's philosophy of teaching and I find that I agree with most of her major principles.

As to the book itself, it was set up well and I found myself duly educated with a direction to take.

All in all: well worth the read.
Tiffany
A good explanation of Charlotte Mason's educational philosophy. It was a bit dry (although that may be unavoidable given the nature of the subject). I would like to have seen a bit more about application as it applies to today's academic environment and also some statistics about how these children do upon entering public schools and colleges.
Jen Michel
I've learned so much as a parent reading Charlotte Mason. Her language of habits is helpful for approaching everyday life with little ones - helping them now to form the best habits they can to help them later in life. This particular book is a collection of essays from people who've read Mason - not a primary source but good for what it is.
Kim  Neve
I read this with my CM Book Club back in 2005, and am re-reading it again with some of the ladies from my book club now. It is empowering and affirming to me, now that we have three CM homeschooled graduates.

A CM education can help foster and feed children into incredible, individual, strong, confident adults.
Kari
Jul 10, 2009 Kari added it
Shelves: homeschool
I've read most books on Charlotte Mason's philosophy but somehow I had missed this one. I'm loving it. It has reminded me why I chose homeschooling in the first place. I want my daughter to LOVE learning not just graduate. It's been a great refresher and a real encouragement to this burned out homeschool mom.
Larisha
Great refresher for me....nicely summarizing what the Charlotte Mason method of education is & what it's not. This resource goes to the heart of the subjects. It's about a special way of viewing children and education, mixed in with some great proven methods of learning.
Lisa
I just couldn't get interested in this book. It wasn't what I was looking for. I was hoping for something that would help me put the charlotte mason method into practice. Unfortunately this is not what I was looking for, but it was what my library had to offer.
Jeremiah Richards
Not the best book on Education, but completely helpful for work and being a dad. I really like the pedagogy and emphasis on good books. The worshipful tone of Mason was a little to much for me, but I'm still glad I read it. It will make me a better teacher and father.
Karie
The subtitle is misleading, to my mind, as the majority of the essays address public school teachers applying Charlotte Mason methods in the classroom, with just a brief nod to homeschooling parents. It wasn't the book I was looking for.
Kaylee
Excellent thoughts on Charlotte Mason's method for schools and home schools. I really appreciated some of their explanations for practical application of the methods. It was encouraging and will stretch me in my own teaching.
Sagira
The book's title says it all. If you would like to apply Charlotte Mason's philosophy in your home, buy this book. It's doable, and workable. I've been homeschooling the CM way for almost five years now, with great results.
Katie
3.5 stars.

Good solid overview of Charlotte Mason's philosophies, but I found For The Children's Sake much more inspiring and A Charlotte Mason Companion much more helpful in applying Miss Mason's ideas.
Teresa
Jun 28, 2011 Teresa added it
Wonderful! Motivates and inspires teachers and parents to teach their children with the knowledge that they are fully human and fully capable of grasping what the Lord has for them to learn about His world.
Jessica
an okay book. really dry and i wouldn't really call it "practical" like the title says. it's more philosophy. it's a compilation though and some authors are better than others.
Jason Brubaker
On content alone this gets 5 stars. I am a huge fan of this methodology. Overall a bit repetitive thus the 4 stars. I wish I could give this book to everyone with school age children.
Sarah South
I rate this 4 stars solely because of the author's emphasis on living books in education. My homeschooling is primarily an eclectic mix of Mason and unschooling.
Bugandme
has some good ideas but i think i want to read from mason herself before making a decision about the philosohpy overall.
Amber
Jamie Griffith
It was ok. For homeschooling there are better resources than this one. For method, read charlotte's original works.
Cassidy
Great book. Will reference back to it later. My children are still very little :)
Janice
Great book! A must for elementary teachers and homeschool parents, even if you don't use Charlotte Mason.
Lindsey
Dec 31, 2011 Lindsey marked it as to-read
Shelves: left-unfinished
Still want to come back and finish this one. It just got a little dry and I got busy homeschooling!
  • For the Children's Sake
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • The Living Page: Keeping Notebooks With Charlotte Mason
  • The Three R's
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • How Children Learn
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
Doulton Open Salts Lambeth Burslem Royal Selling Your Self-Published Book Sexuality and Disability: A Guide for Everyday Practice

“While When Children Love to Learn affirms the value of good and great achievements in a wide variety of fields, this book soundly rejects the view that a child’s ultimate worth lies in either intelligence, material circumstances, what he or she might become through grooming or talent, or anything else except in this remarkable fact—that he or she has been made in the image of a personal and infinite God and is especially confirmed by Jesus: “. . . of such is the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 19:14).” 0 likes