Start by marking “Horses Don't Lie” as Want to Read:
Horses Don't Lie

Horses Don't Lie

Horses Don't Lie details the spiritual connection between human and equine behaviour. Based on over twenty years of working with horses Chris Irwin explains why the characteristics necessary for building good relationships with horses can be used to enrich our own lives. Horses have a great deal to teach us about how to communicate with empathy and patience - not only with ...more
Unknown Binding, 176 pages
Published by Not Avail (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Horses Don't Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horses Don't Lie

Damana
Book 51 of 2015 is Horses Never Lie by Mark Rashid.

I have never felt an interest in horses until I read this book. The amazing thing is that this book applies to people as much as it does to our four legged friends.

This should be a must read book for people who manage people. The passive leader is the best leader of all.

4 truths out of 5.

Should I read this? Yes, if you understand that human beings are animals in the end.

What did I learn? I need to connect with some horses and some humans.
Arminzerella
Horses Don’t Lie is part autobiography, part horse behavior primer, part horse training instruction manual, and part horse therapy guide. It details Chris Irwin’s journey into horse training and later horse therapy and what he’s learned about horses along the way. It’s an engaging quick read (can finish it in an evening!) that will feel comfortable to those who are familiar with current trends in horse training practices and will be eye-opening for newbies. Chris really speaks to the horse-human ...more
Marcy
Jun 21, 2010 Marcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You must open your mind and allow your horse to show you how to communicate with the same depth and transparency it has. And that's when the magic starts.

It's magic because what horses need to hear from us is what many of us would like to hear from ourselves. They want to have a calm, focused assurance. They want us to be consistent. They want us to be both strong and compassionate. in short, horses need us to be our best selves. And by being so sensitive to our self-doubt and fear, they help u
Megan Jones
Feb 24, 2015 Megan Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an outstanding book - it a quick read yet gives very logical information for relating to horses. By including personal insight, the reader can get a sense for the author, as well as why his techniques are successful. His information is universal and can help anyone with any level of experience better handle their horse. I absolutely love this inviting read and would HIGHLY recommend it to all horse lovers.
Ombeline
Mar 30, 2015 Ombeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chevaux
J'y ai passé une partie de l'après-midi, mais je l'ai lu d'une seule traite, je n'ai pas put le lâcher.

C'est un très bon livre, qui nous en apprend plus sur les chevaux, sur la relation que l'on peut avoir avec eu, mais aussi sur nous même. Il fait beaucoup réfléchir sur ce que l'on fait, sur le comportement du cheval et sur le pourquoi du comment de tout ça.
Et surtout ce livre permet de mettre le doigt sur certaine chose que l'on fait ou pas. Il permet d'appréhender le cheval de façon différen
Josh
Mar 24, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad is helping me to learn how to train horses, and he gave me this book to read. It doesn't give any techniques, but it explains the difference between a horses perception of the world compared with a human perception. If you can understand why a horse does what it does, then you can know what you must do in order to effectively communicate with it.
But beyond understanding horses, this book helps people realize how to understand why other people do what they do. This book can be used in any
Leslie Kaye
maybe it's a difficult subject to write about, when dealing with horses firsthand would be better.
Eva Whiteley
I recommend this book to anyone who owns a horse, looks after a horse, or is just horse crazy. It is a great introduction to natural horsemanship with plenty of guidance to benefit the human half of the partnership too. I will be looking further into natural horsemanship in due course. Interesting stuff.
Amber
May 10, 2016 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great info, profoundly accurate self help for all aspects of life.
Erin
Apr 07, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably wouldn't enjoy this if you don't love horses. Chris Irwin tells an entertaining story of his life and uses those experiences to illustrate the principles he is teaching of how to successfully work with horses, and to learn to be your best self in the process.
Gabelucero
Jun 28, 2011 Gabelucero rated it it was amazing
Great book!!!

Even for someone who doesn't love horses, this book gives you so much more. It's a great lesson in human humility and reverence to a species that has done so much for us.

Give it a try....it's short and I doubt you will hate it. :)

Brittani Croft
Jun 10, 2012 Brittani Croft rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It really helped me step back and re-evaluate my approach to working with my horses. It always made me want to improve my horsemanship and add a few more horsey books to my "to-read" list. A definite read for all riders.
Andrea
Sep 27, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a how-to book about horses, although there is some excellent advice of that nature. Mostly a book about what horses teach us in our relationships with them. Thoroughly enjoyed it and even choked up at one point.
Kris
Apr 28, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it
The title says it all....." Horses Don't Lie: What Horses Teach Us About Our Natural Capacity for Awareness, Confidence, Courage, and Trust."
Marsha
Mar 08, 2011 Marsha rated it really liked it
Short, good read, to keep and read again in a couple years.
What horses teach us, and how this has evolved to horse therapy programs
Faith
Jun 10, 2008 Faith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horse psychology.
Most of the ideas in this book I have heard from other places, but it's always good to reinforce it.
Mary
Aug 06, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
I am very interested in equine therapy because I have been lucky enough to experience the power of a horse to heal.
Jenny
May 31, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, anyone who has a horse or spends time around horses should read this book!
Christine Blythe
Christine Blythe marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Liv
Liv marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Lin Anderson
Lin Anderson rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Jenni Powell
Jenni Powell is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Jack Cicero
Jack Cicero rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Joanne Marie Di-Pede
Joanne Marie Di-Pede marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Lori
Lori added it
Jul 26, 2016
Candi Butcher
Candi Butcher rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Traci
Traci marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
8attan
8attan marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Lucy Prybylski
Lucy Prybylski rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • Centered Riding
  • Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
  • Considering the Horse: Tales of Problems Solved and Lessons Learned
  • It's Not About the Horse
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • The Nature of Horses
  • Marcus of Umbria: What an Italian Dog Taught an American Girl about Love
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Dancing with Horses: The Art of Body Language
  • Airs Beneath the Moon (Horsemistress Saga, #1)
  • Zen Mind, Zen Horse: The Science and Spirituality of Working with Horses
  • Horse Sense for People: The Man Who Listens to Horses Talks to People
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Hope in Front of Me: Find Purpose in Your Darkest Moments
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home