Start by marking “If Minds Had Toes” as Want to Read:
If Minds Had Toes

If Minds Had Toes

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Ben Warner is dizzy with boredom, working for the summer at Cod Almighty, his local fish and chip shop, when one evening a sexy young woman called Lila arrives with a bizarre invitation. Ben is tempted, but suspicious - and with good reason. Lila wants him to visit her in the World of Ideas - a place he's never heard of - and, though Ben doesn't yet know it, Lila has been ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about If Minds Had Toes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Minds Had Toes

Mon
It's a bit like those educational science shows they used to show in class after exams when nobody's paying attention since nothing counts toward the final report anyway. Characters and plots are heavily compromised for the sake for making the philosophical concepts more relevant and thus remain rudimentary. Extra star for Paul Jackson's super cute illustrations and an outstanding layout (the hardcover edition anyway). Yes, I'm shallow like that, maybe I shouldn't be reading popular philosophy i ...more
Noura Tan
Eyre has managed to present Philosophy in a way my mind never acknowledged;

The World of Ideas is a sort of an in-between place for dead philosophers and philosopher enthusiasts ranging from Immanuel Kant to Aristotle. Lila, an assistant to Socrates finds an average teenage boy from the regular world to teach philosophy for a bet against Wittgenstein that he can uncover the world of Philosophy to someone and have them love it.

The concept of this book was ingenious! The initial ideas and the way
Cassandra Kay Silva
This book would be perfect for the right audience. I would say a girl or boy somewhere between 10 and 17 or so who did not know much about philosophy. Its a good introduction to many ideas that adults have pondered over the years of growing up. It delves into some very basic but very fundamental questions about humanity and what it means to be human, about death and how things exist in relation to each other. Unfortunately for the adult audience it is so basic as to render it a pointless read. B ...more
Charissa
Such fun!

It took me a few chapters to get into the story, but once I did I loved it. Ben is really quite average, which makes him a likable character perfect for the bet between two philosophers. Socrates thinks that philosophy will make anyone's life better, Wittgenstein argues the opposite. So they need a case study, enter Ben.

A fun way to explore some basics of philosophy and simply think about (or think about what other people think about) some of life's biggest and seemingly least importa
Maria
Feb 22, 2012 Maria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, really
Primeiro requisitei este livro na biblioteca, e li-o, mas após isso, não consegui deixar de o ter e então comprei-o, extremamente barato.

Sempre gostei de Filosofia e de aventura e no dia em que descobri este livro, que envolvia ambos os dois géneros passei-me. Adorei o livro, imenso. Introduz-nos à filosofia de uma maneira soft, fazendo-nos ( pelo menos a mim) adorar a filosofia.
No fim do livro ficamos com aquela sensação de vazio, do tipo, já acabou? Além de nos fazer pensar em pessoas reais de
Zhenwei Chan
May 07, 2007 Zhenwei Chan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with nothin better to do
To tell the truth, i'm a bit disappointed. This book started out with so much potential. The protagonist is a teenager and the theme is how philosophy could help in making his life better. wonderful! so finally there's a book that links a much obsolete subject with everyday life!

Yet, as the story unfolds the boy gets wrapped up in OBSELETE topics like "What is reality".... nothing to do with MODERN DAY LIFE!!! Along the way, the boy is ridiculed by his classmates, worried for by his parents and
Jerzy
Kristen
If you had studied philosophy, politics, and economics at Oxford and then found yourself living in Addis Ababa, what would you do? Apparently, if you're Lucy Eyre, you write a delightful little novel about philosophy. The conceit here is that after death, philosophers can choose to enter a region called the World of Ideas and spend eternity on the questions that interested them in life. The story itself is a long thought experiment about how a still-living British teenager reacts to being introd ...more
Marissa
Aug 27, 2008 Marissa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book was extremely boring. I got to page 56 before I started skipping around to see if it got any better. Even the ending was dull; I didn't read the whole book, I just decided to read the ending to see if the end was more interesting than the beginning. It wasn't. There was absolutely nothing in it to hold my attention.

The main character is approached by a dead woman who is spending her afterlife in the World of Ideas, a place where philosophers or those who love philosophy may go when th
Julie
This book sounded really interesting, but there wasn't much to the actual story. It was like the author wanted to put a philosophy textbook (if there is such a thing) into a more palatable form for the masses. It got rather tiresome at times, but a few parts were definitely interesting. I think the part that struck me the most was the section where different philospher characters talked about what happiness is or isn't.
Mostly, I was just proud of myself for finishing it. :)
Teresa
I bought it for the title. Just was curious to find out where the title came from, so I bought it. If you imagine there is an afterlife where people sit around asking "why?" all day long, this is the book for you. Reminds me of what I thought heaven would look like when I was a kid. Tons of rooms and doors and different options of what to do and talk about all day long. Your tour guide is a 15 year old boy. I enjoyed the book very much.
Kelly
Apr 07, 2009 Kelly marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Found this at the Library today. Was wanting to get one more book (I wanted 3) and I had two already and just couldn't find another....Lila was growing impatient (she was being great up until this point looking at a Barbie display/collection) and was moaning to go downstairs. I grabbed just one more book, this one, and the heroine is named LILA! :)
It has a very quirky plot, and may enlighten me on philosophy as well.
Erin
this book is amazing! it is the story of this guy who gets to go to a kind of "limbo" between heaven and hell where dead philosophers live (if you can call it living). he is the key to the presidency of the limbo land, and socrates and wittgenstein are involved. if you liked i heart huckabees, you will love this book!
Susan
Someone might find Eyre's concept of a "World of Ideas" afterlife fascinating, but the way the story was crafted lacked substance. It felt more like juvenile fiction.

...Or like reading someone's Philosophy 101 creative term paper assignment.
Kelly
This short book is such a fun mind-bender. I thoroughly enjoyed it and completely annoyed my family by reading passages out of it! And then I keep recommending it to anyone who says anything remotely philosophical.
JulieK
This is basically a Philosophy 101 class (with lots of debates) in the form of a novel. Once I started thinking of it in that way instead of expecting a compelling story in its own right, I started enjoying it more.
Goncalo Ferreira
I read this book when I was around 13. I really really really enjoyed it. When I think of it I know that if I read it now, I wouldn't enjoy it that much...BUT a great introduction to philosophy!
Travis
Some quality dialogues that showed how Philosophy can be applied in your daily life. However, I think Sophie's world by Jostein Gaarder is a better and more insightful read.
Jake Kline
A surprisingly fun introduction to a wide variety of differing philosophies. Very accessible, even for those who have no background in the subject material.
E
I have started reading this book, but it is an exceptional slow read. I am actually reading other books while I am trying to finish this book.
Elaine Torrence
ummmmmmm, it's a book about philosophy. It alternately made my head hurt and irritated the hell out of me... nitpicking philosophy.
Terry
An intro to philosophy textbook masquerading as a novel. Or vice versa. Is my life better for it.? Well, it's no worse.
Antonette
Picked this book up at the library due to the title and I wasn't disappointed. A nice read on practical philosophy.
Kirk
Jan 18, 2008 Kirk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sarah
I don't usually care for philosophy, but this reminded me of the Phantom Tollbooth for people with graduate degrees.
Chris
Gives you a new way to look at things. Easier to read and understand if you've had at least Philosophy 101
Paige
Brilliant look at the major themes of philosophy through a story that is accessible to nearly everyone.
Emily
The title attracted me initially. Witty. But unless you are a philosophy junkie, it will make you crazy.
Beccs
Essentially philosophy for dummies, which is perfect if you want a dumbed down explanation of concepts.
Am
the plot was silly, but the ideas are presented in interesting ways. a light hearted read and I liked it:)
  • The Thursday Friend
  • Nothing Matters: A Book About Nothing
  • The Rationalists: Descartes: Discourse on Method & Meditations; Spinoza: Ethics; Leibniz: Monadology & Discourse on Metaphysics
  • God Is Not Dead: What Quantum Physics Tell Us about Our Origins and How We Should Live
  • Flight of the Doves
  • Nightfather: A Novel
  • The Model Wife
  • Rosa, Minha Irmã Rosa
  • Marrying for Money
  • Class (Maggie Adair #1)
  • Nothing: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Book of Chuang Tzu
Si la mente tuviera alas

“Haven't you had enough past to let the future go?” 0 likes