Start by marking “If Minds Had Toes” as Want to Read:
If Minds Had Toes

If Minds Had Toes

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  303 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Ben Warner is dizzy with boredom, working for the summer at Cod Almighty, his local fish and chip shop, when one evening a sexy young woman called Lila arrives with a bizarre invitation. Ben is tempted, but suspicious - and with good reason. Lila wants him to visit her in the World of Ideas - a place he's never heard of - and, though Ben doesn't yet know it, Lila has been ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about If Minds Had Toes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Minds Had Toes

Mon
Nov 17, 2010 Mon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
It's a bit like those educational science shows they used to show in class after exams when nobody's paying attention since nothing counts toward the final report anyway. Characters and plots are heavily compromised for the sake for making the philosophical concepts more relevant and thus remain rudimentary. Extra star for Paul Jackson's super cute illustrations and an outstanding layout (the hardcover edition anyway). Yes, I'm shallow like that, maybe I shouldn't be reading popular philosophy i ...more
Noura Tan
Oct 01, 2013 Noura Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eyre has managed to present Philosophy in a way my mind never acknowledged;

The World of Ideas is a sort of an in-between place for dead philosophers and philosopher enthusiasts ranging from Immanuel Kant to Aristotle. Lila, an assistant to Socrates finds an average teenage boy from the regular world to teach philosophy for a bet against Wittgenstein that he can uncover the world of Philosophy to someone and have them love it.

The concept of this book was ingenious! The initial ideas and the way
Cassandra Kay Silva
This book would be perfect for the right audience. I would say a girl or boy somewhere between 10 and 17 or so who did not know much about philosophy. Its a good introduction to many ideas that adults have pondered over the years of growing up. It delves into some very basic but very fundamental questions about humanity and what it means to be human, about death and how things exist in relation to each other. Unfortunately for the adult audience it is so basic as to render it a pointless read. B ...more
Amiad
Mar 18, 2016 Amiad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ספר על פילוסופיה לנוער. נחמד אבל ההשוואה לעולמה של סופי המצוין היא שגויה. הספר לא עוסק בהיסטוריה של הפילוסופיה אלא רק מעלה דיונים פילוסופיים וגם הסיפור הרבה פחות משמעותי.
Charissa
Aug 27, 2014 Charissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Such fun!

It took me a few chapters to get into the story, but once I did I loved it. Ben is really quite average, which makes him a likable character perfect for the bet between two philosophers. Socrates thinks that philosophy will make anyone's life better, Wittgenstein argues the opposite. So they need a case study, enter Ben.

A fun way to explore some basics of philosophy and simply think about (or think about what other people think about) some of life's biggest and seemingly least importa
Maria
Feb 22, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, really
Primeiro requisitei este livro na biblioteca, e li-o, mas após isso, não consegui deixar de o ter e então comprei-o, extremamente barato.

Sempre gostei de Filosofia e de aventura e no dia em que descobri este livro, que envolvia ambos os dois géneros passei-me. Adorei o livro, imenso. Introduz-nos à filosofia de uma maneira soft, fazendo-nos ( pelo menos a mim) adorar a filosofia.
No fim do livro ficamos com aquela sensação de vazio, do tipo, já acabou? Além de nos fazer pensar em pessoas reais de
Zhenwei Chan
May 07, 2007 Zhenwei Chan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with nothin better to do
To tell the truth, i'm a bit disappointed. This book started out with so much potential. The protagonist is a teenager and the theme is how philosophy could help in making his life better. wonderful! so finally there's a book that links a much obsolete subject with everyday life!

Yet, as the story unfolds the boy gets wrapped up in OBSELETE topics like "What is reality".... nothing to do with MODERN DAY LIFE!!! Along the way, the boy is ridiculed by his classmates, worried for by his parents and
Jerzy
Jan 17, 2009 Jerzy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Leslynn
Mar 21, 2016 Leslynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It began with a promising premise but as with most of the other reviewers here, I found it to dwell too heavily on philosophical debate and seemingly forget to continue the story. Much of the debating is very simplistic, definitely a beginners look at these ideas, and so I didn't feel too inclined to read on in regards to learning or thinking anything new.
Mia
Mar 20, 2016 Mia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Andrew
Feb 10, 2016 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sierra Bailey
Imagine there is an afterlife for philosophers and the residents decided to see how much they can teach a teenage boy in a few months by inviting him for visits to their world. Its been a long, long time since I’ve pondered philological teachings. It was enjoyable in a bizarre way.
Kristen
If you had studied philosophy, politics, and economics at Oxford and then found yourself living in Addis Ababa, what would you do? Apparently, if you're Lucy Eyre, you write a delightful little novel about philosophy. The conceit here is that after death, philosophers can choose to enter a region called the World of Ideas and spend eternity on the questions that interested them in life. The story itself is a long thought experiment about how a still-living British teenager reacts to being introd ...more
Chris Murrell
Apr 16, 2016 Chris Murrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book as is, but you have to be quite aware of all the subtle puns and references to enjoy it to its fullest extent. Cleverly written, easy to read, very enjoyable.
Marissa
Aug 27, 2008 Marissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book was extremely boring. I got to page 56 before I started skipping around to see if it got any better. Even the ending was dull; I didn't read the whole book, I just decided to read the ending to see if the end was more interesting than the beginning. It wasn't. There was absolutely nothing in it to hold my attention.

The main character is approached by a dead woman who is spending her afterlife in the World of Ideas, a place where philosophers or those who love philosophy may go when th
Hannah
Mar 23, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome. I loved it. Mind totally blown.
Julie
Aug 10, 2009 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-lit
This book sounded really interesting, but there wasn't much to the actual story. It was like the author wanted to put a philosophy textbook (if there is such a thing) into a more palatable form for the masses. It got rather tiresome at times, but a few parts were definitely interesting. I think the part that struck me the most was the section where different philospher characters talked about what happiness is or isn't.
Mostly, I was just proud of myself for finishing it. :)
Syahirah Jani
An idealistic read. Althiugh it's fun to read philosophy for beginners, for beginners, alas the plot was weak and redundant. I didn't really have a high expectation on this book took me a long time to finish reading it
Teresa
Jul 19, 2008 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought it for the title. Just was curious to find out where the title came from, so I bought it. If you imagine there is an afterlife where people sit around asking "why?" all day long, this is the book for you. Reminds me of what I thought heaven would look like when I was a kid. Tons of rooms and doors and different options of what to do and talk about all day long. Your tour guide is a 15 year old boy. I enjoyed the book very much.
Kelly
Apr 07, 2009 Kelly marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Found this at the Library today. Was wanting to get one more book (I wanted 3) and I had two already and just couldn't find another....Lila was growing impatient (she was being great up until this point looking at a Barbie display/collection) and was moaning to go downstairs. I grabbed just one more book, this one, and the heroine is named LILA! :)
It has a very quirky plot, and may enlighten me on philosophy as well.
Erin
Sep 17, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksilove
this book is amazing! it is the story of this guy who gets to go to a kind of "limbo" between heaven and hell where dead philosophers live (if you can call it living). he is the key to the presidency of the limbo land, and socrates and wittgenstein are involved. if you liked i heart huckabees, you will love this book!
Lindsay
I am not really a philosophy person... but I was amused by some of the conversations/lessons. The story did get a little tiring though and by about the middle of the book I was ready for the book to finish.... sooooooo amusing but a little too long/boring after awhile.
Susan
Jun 25, 2008 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Someone might find Eyre's concept of a "World of Ideas" afterlife fascinating, but the way the story was crafted lacked substance. It felt more like juvenile fiction.

...Or like reading someone's Philosophy 101 creative term paper assignment.
Kelly
Jun 17, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short book is such a fun mind-bender. I thoroughly enjoyed it and completely annoyed my family by reading passages out of it! And then I keep recommending it to anyone who says anything remotely philosophical.
JulieK
Mar 29, 2008 JulieK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically a Philosophy 101 class (with lots of debates) in the form of a novel. Once I started thinking of it in that way instead of expecting a compelling story in its own right, I started enjoying it more.
Goncalo Ferreira
I read this book when I was around 13. I really really really enjoyed it. When I think of it I know that if I read it now, I wouldn't enjoy it that much...BUT a great introduction to philosophy!
Travis
Jul 09, 2013 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some quality dialogues that showed how Philosophy can be applied in your daily life. However, I think Sophie's world by Jostein Gaarder is a better and more insightful read.
Jake Kline
Nov 04, 2011 Jake Kline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A surprisingly fun introduction to a wide variety of differing philosophies. Very accessible, even for those who have no background in the subject material.
E
Sep 29, 2007 E rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I have started reading this book, but it is an exceptional slow read. I am actually reading other books while I am trying to finish this book.
  • Hide & Seek
  • Virginia Woolf in Manhattan
  • Burning Bright
  • Advaita Vedanta: A Philosophical Reconstruction
  • Gentleman's Relish
  • Zhuangzi: The Essential Writings: With Selections from Traditional Commentaries
  • The Falling Sky
  • The Rationalists: Descartes: Discourse on Method & Meditations; Spinoza: Ethics; Leibniz: Monadology & Discourse on Metaphysics
  • The Town in Bloom