Start by marking “Black Ice” as Want to Read:
Black Ice

Black Ice

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Adventurer Carl Norland and celebrity explorer Julian Fitzgerald have teamed up in an attempt to walk across Antarctica at its widest point, a crossing of some 2,000 frozen miles. Success would place their names alongside those of such polar legends as Scott, Shackleton, and Admundsen, but when their goal proves beyond their reach, a frantic rescue begins.

Hundreds of miles
Published October 3rd 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ice

Nicholas
Jan 17, 2016 Nicholas rated it liked it
Gripping adventure with a standout villain in Julian Fitzgerald, a character that the reader will grow to hate in no time. Dickinson creates a fascinating world at the edge of the ice with a careful eye for details both technical and natural. The reader can almost fill the chill in their bones with the near-death escapades of the characters in this book. The descriptions of the arctic wasteland and their dangers are really intriguing to read, its almost like a science-fiction tale in how other-w ...more
Kara Jorges
Dec 19, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it
Lauren Burgess is fulfilling the dream of a lifetime running Capricorn Base, a scientific research station in the Antarctic interior. Three hundred miles away, an expedition consisting of famous explorer Julian Fitzgerald and his companion, Carl Norland, has run into trouble. The two men would have been the first to cross Antarctica on foot at its widest point if they hadn’t run out of supplies and begun starving to death 80 miles from the goal. The rescue plane they summon crashes, so Lauren an ...more
Paula
Mar 04, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing
Finally Finally Finaly! A cant put down adventure book! Wrencked the entire eveneing and next day (because I stayed up until it was over). read it in one sitting and everything else went on hold.

Its so so wnderful to read a book that has adventure and man against nature and true catastrohic events in an alien but scientifically sound environment that happen within a reasonable plot line, including a really bad guy and a really cool good guy (girl, in this case). And it was sooo so good. I dont
Aileen
Sep 28, 2013 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book of the Month for me! The crew on the Capricorn scientific base in Antarctica are called on to rescue a pair of explorers who have failed in their attempt to cross the continent at its widest point. After a hair-raising rescue mission the explorers plus a reporter who survived a rescue-plane crash have to spend the dark winter months at Capricorn until another plane can come into land. Whilst two of the three are grateful for the food, warmth and medical treatment, the other one has murder o ...more
Sam
Nov 13, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, adventure
This book was mis-shelved at the the used book store, and one of the tag-lines on the front cover confused me as well. I was expecting some sci-fi, under the ice, adventure, but it turns out not to be the case. It is an adventure novel set in an Antarctic science research base, but the science aspect is a minor plot point in the story. I probably wouldn't have picked it up if it had been shelved in regular fiction, or in an adventure section, but as it turns out I really enjoyed it.

(view spoile
Robert
Jan 08, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Another arctic chiller/thriller. This book really was a great tale of survival in some of the most damn brutal conditions a human has ever encountered. When fire destroys a small research station the team leader must pull out all the stops to keep her team alive. However there is a lot more to the story. Shall we say several plot complications that I really don't want to spoil. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a thrilling and chilling good read.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
What a great book- even though he clearly chracterizes the dangers of Antartica, it still made me want to visit the Beagle Channel & also glide across the Ice under the sun and feel the artic wind on my face and cross crevasses on a snowmobile. I really hope i get to visit Antartica one day! This is a must read if you enjoy adventures in the Artic!
Dave
Oct 20, 2012 Dave rated it it was ok
This was more of a survival book than an adventure book, which I wasn't really expecting. I have read at least two other fiction books about things buried in the polar ice, but this was much different. It just wasn't quite as exciting as I thought it would be, but I did learn a lot about the conditions of the Antarctic. I did read it almost entirely in one sitting though, so it had that going for it.

The writing seemed a bit..amateurish at times. Not a lot of character development either. Neithe
Ronald
Feb 13, 2016 Ronald added it
my log says I read this sometime in 2007 but I have no recollection of this or the author so I can give no rating.
Russ Marchese
Dec 28, 2007 Russ Marchese rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Overall, a pretty tense survival-of-the-fittest-and-sharpest story. Some parts dragged a little, but in general, a good story about an Antarctic research team led by a sharp, young woman trying to discover an underground lake that could possibly hold a new form of microscopic life. Their research (and ultimately their daily living habits) gets interrupted by a crazy, world renowned explorer who only seeks fame and glory.
Susan
Sep 21, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is a very good adventure book. It was a fast read since I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. It's about a team of scientist working in a drilling station in Antarctica that have made a new discovery, but then have to go on a rescue mission. The man they are trying to rescue turns against them, so they are now fighting for their lives in the severe, stormy weather of the Antarctic.
Phyllis Rowland
Sep 19, 2011 Phyllis Rowland rated it really liked it
I can't imagine how Dickinson wrote such a detailed description of the problems and perils of living for months on a solid continent sized piece of ice! Excellent details and character development. It's a page turner! You can never be sure which people will survive. I don't like cold, but this was a cool read during the high temps of the summer of 2011.
Kim
Aug 08, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok
I was pretty hopeful, but the book mostly was depressing and entirely a chase. The characters were obnoxiously stubborn with the antagonist reminding me of Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter. I also didn't get a good payoff of satisfaction. If you like cat and mouse chases then this is for you.
Danielle Packer
Nov 12, 2013 Danielle Packer rated it it was amazing
This really is an amazing book! Such an adventure thriller that sucks you in and becomes a non-stop read. I was so into this book for one key reason: the antagonist. The bad guy in this book is a love-to-hate type of bad guy, which to me, makes for the very best stories.
Mic
Nov 11, 2007 Mic rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Author really needs to do some basic research into things he clearly has no idea about (ie bench-pressing 40kg for 20 minutes? Clueless) and not leave huge plot holes and create dumb characters that Dan Brown would have been proud to create.
Briant
Jan 01, 2014 Briant rated it it was amazing
This had to be one of the better books of this genre that I have read in some time.
Annie
Apr 08, 2010 Annie rated it really liked it
Not really a subject matter I would normally be drawn to. However, it is so well written that I literally couldn't put it down. I stayed up way too late several nights to get it finished.
Beau Smith
Apr 14, 2011 Beau Smith rated it really liked it
Very realistic thriller that is well done and fast paced. Add an ax wielding psycho on a high powered sled and you've got some fun good vs. evil here.
Ali Turner
Jan 08, 2011 Ali Turner rated it really liked it
Top class novel. I've read it twice. Kept you interested and the ending was neat and tidy.
Glenissa
Dec 08, 2010 Glenissa rated it really liked it
Thanks to the Reader's Digest edition I got to read this one. Very interesting indeed.
Faye
Jan 06, 2012 Faye rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, anyone know when it will be available for the Kindle in the UK??
DeAnne Wood
Feb 06, 2008 DeAnne Wood rated it liked it
If you're looking for some "edge of your seat" reading...here it is!
Linda Thompson
Feb 14, 2012 Linda Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
Interesting how they coped with the weather.
Sonja
Jul 26, 2012 Sonja rated it liked it
Had to skim over some but couldn't put it down
Lee
Aug 23, 2008 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Thriller with a bit of edge ;)
Beatrix
Oct 22, 2015 Beatrix rated it it was amazing
enjoyed this book immensely
Mary Daghfal
Mary Daghfal rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 16, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Jacob Oommen
Jacob Oommen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
  • Surf Mules
  • BATMAN: Gotham Knight
  • The King's Swift Rider: A Novel on Robert the Bruce
  • Rewind
  • The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1)
  • The Magic Bullet
  • The Pirate's Son
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • The Sett
  • Thieves Like Us (Thieves Like Us, #1)
  • The White Gates
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • The Infinity Code  (S.T.O.R.M. #1)
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
  • Ice Tomb
  • Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth
  • The Raven's Knot (Tales from the Wyrd Museum, #2)
  • The Rogues (Stuart Quartet, #4)