Black Ice

Black Ice

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Adventurer Carl Norland and celebrity explorer Julian Fitzgerald have teamed up in an attempt to walk across Antarctica at its widest point, a crossing of some 2,000 frozen miles. Success would place their names alongside those of such polar legends as Scott, Shackleton, and Admundsen, but when their goal proves beyond their reach, a frantic rescue begins.

Hundreds of miles...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ice

Kara Jorges
Lauren Burgess is fulfilling the dream of a lifetime running Capricorn Base, a scientific research station in the Antarctic interior. Three hundred miles away, an expedition consisting of famous explorer Julian Fitzgerald and his companion, Carl Norland, has run into trouble. The two men would have been the first to cross Antarctica on foot at its widest point if they hadn’t run out of supplies and begun starving to death 80 miles from the goal. The rescue plane they summon crashes, so Lauren an...more
Paula
Finally Finally Finaly! A cant put down adventure book! Wrencked the entire eveneing and next day (because I stayed up until it was over). read it in one sitting and everything else went on hold.

Its so so wnderful to read a book that has adventure and man against nature and true catastrohic events in an alien but scientifically sound environment that happen within a reasonable plot line, including a really bad guy and a really cool good guy (girl, in this case). And it was sooo so good. I dont...more
Aileen
Book of the Month for me! The crew on the Capricorn scientific base in Antarctica are called on to rescue a pair of explorers who have failed in their attempt to cross the continent at its widest point. After a hair-raising rescue mission the explorers plus a reporter who survived a rescue-plane crash have to spend the dark winter months at Capricorn until another plane can come into land. Whilst two of the three are grateful for the food, warmth and medical treatment, the other one has murder o...more
Sam
This book was mis-shelved at the the used book store, and one of the tag-lines on the front cover confused me as well. I was expecting some sci-fi, under the ice, adventure, but it turns out not to be the case. It is an adventure novel set in an Antarctic science research base, but the science aspect is a minor plot point in the story. I probably wouldn't have picked it up if it had been shelved in regular fiction, or in an adventure section, but as it turns out I really enjoyed it.

(view spoile...more
Dave
This was more of a survival book than an adventure book, which I wasn't really expecting. I have read at least two other fiction books about things buried in the polar ice, but this was much different. It just wasn't quite as exciting as I thought it would be, but I did learn a lot about the conditions of the Antarctic. I did read it almost entirely in one sitting though, so it had that going for it.

The writing seemed a bit..amateurish at times. Not a lot of character development either. Neithe...more
Russ Marchese
Dec 28, 2007 Russ Marchese rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Overall, a pretty tense survival-of-the-fittest-and-sharpest story. Some parts dragged a little, but in general, a good story about an Antarctic research team led by a sharp, young woman trying to discover an underground lake that could possibly hold a new form of microscopic life. Their research (and ultimately their daily living habits) gets interrupted by a crazy, world renowned explorer who only seeks fame and glory.
Susan
This is a very good adventure book. It was a fast read since I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. It's about a team of scientist working in a drilling station in Antarctica that have made a new discovery, but then have to go on a rescue mission. The man they are trying to rescue turns against them, so they are now fighting for their lives in the severe, stormy weather of the Antarctic.
Phyllis Rowland
I can't imagine how Dickinson wrote such a detailed description of the problems and perils of living for months on a solid continent sized piece of ice! Excellent details and character development. It's a page turner! You can never be sure which people will survive. I don't like cold, but this was a cool read during the high temps of the summer of 2011.
Kim
I was pretty hopeful, but the book mostly was depressing and entirely a chase. The characters were obnoxiously stubborn with the antagonist reminding me of Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter. I also didn't get a good payoff of satisfaction. If you like cat and mouse chases then this is for you.
Danielle Packer
This really is an amazing book! Such an adventure thriller that sucks you in and becomes a non-stop read. I was so into this book for one key reason: the antagonist. The bad guy in this book is a love-to-hate type of bad guy, which to me, makes for the very best stories.
Mic
Author really needs to do some basic research into things he clearly has no idea about (ie bench-pressing 40kg for 20 minutes? Clueless) and not leave huge plot holes and create dumb characters that Dan Brown would have been proud to create.
Briant
This had to be one of the better books of this genre that I have read in some time.
Annie
Not really a subject matter I would normally be drawn to. However, it is so well written that I literally couldn't put it down. I stayed up way too late several nights to get it finished.
Beau Smith
Very realistic thriller that is well done and fast paced. Add an ax wielding psycho on a high powered sled and you've got some fun good vs. evil here.
Ali Turner
Top class novel. I've read it twice. Kept you interested and the ending was neat and tidy.
Glenissa
Thanks to the Reader's Digest edition I got to read this one. Very interesting indeed.
Faye
I loved this book, anyone know when it will be available for the Kindle in the UK??
DeAnne Wood
If you're looking for some "edge of your seat" reading...here it is!
Linda Thompson
Interesting how they coped with the weather.
Sonja
Had to skim over some but couldn't put it down
Lee
Thriller with a bit of edge ;)
Carl Anthony Sumaylo
Carl Anthony Sumaylo marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Other Side of Everest: Climbing the North Face Through the Killer Storm Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1) Death Zone Deep Oblivion (Mortal Chaos, #2) The Everest Files (Everest Files, #1)