Start by marking “Acres of Diamonds” as Want to Read:
Acres of Diamonds

Acres of Diamonds

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,064 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Acres of Diamonds, by Russell H. Conwell, is one of the most popular inspirational classics about success ever published. This paperback edition is published with the hope that readers will be able to learn from the lessons included in this text, and be able to use these lessons to further their lives. This short yet powerful and life changing book should be read by anybod ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Filiquarian Publishing, LLC. (first published 1892)

Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 Chris Munson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on a speech originally given as a lecture to raise money for what would become Temple University, this parable about seeing the riches around you can help give you a new perspective. Short and powerful (the book is much like "Who Moved My Cheese" in that it is brief, but contains an important lesson told in the form of a story) "Acres of Diamonds" will force you to take a new look at your own backyard when looking for opportunity. The basic story revolves around a Persian farmer who loses ...more
David LeDoux
This is a small book with a large message that could potentially have an enormous impact on the reader with the 'ears to hear' it and the will to internalize it and put it into action in his or her life every day. The greatness that exists within every one of us does not exist in any external form whatsoever. Rather, it exists within us...waiting to be uncovered and unleashed. When used for the good of others and not for reasons of selfish gain, we discover that we, also, have more than we need; ...more
Tori
I wish I could remember what caused me to buy this book over 10 years ago. I have been taking it with me through 6 moves, and I finally read it last night. Horrid. Maybe it is the original prosperity gospel. I have never read so much bs in so few pages. I have never done this with a book before but I am throwing it in the trash.
Sharon
Written by the founder of Temple University, "Acres of Diamonds" is an inspirational lecture about success. (The edition I read also included a biography of Russell Conwell and a brief autobiographical note from the author.)

Conwell, who presented this lecture in excess of 5,000 times during his life, was a Civil War officer, lawyer and pastor. His family farm was one of the stops on the Underground Railroad and he established one of the first schools that would educate African-American children.
Amina
Jul 31, 2015 Amina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you want to do lies within you, all the sources and the forces are in you..

" Greatness consists not in the holding of some future office, but really consists in doing great deeds with little means and the accomplishment of vast purposes from the private ranks of life."

" Let every man or woman here, if you never hear me again, remember this, that if you wish to be great at all, you must begin where you are and what you are, in Philadelphia, now. He that can give to his city any blessin
Ian Connel
There are some good values in Acres of Diamonds, but a pastor who argues that "poverty is the result of God's opinion of those people" and "rich men are the most honest men" is unbelievably misled. For one, does he know Jesus led a life of poverty, serving the poor? And for two, has he ever heard of advertising? If only he had any clue that many businesses would depend on, and thrive on, using fear and false information to sell things that nobody actually needs.

In fairness, I made it through ab
Lauren
Jan 21, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on a whim, intrigued by the banner of text touting the words inside as one of the most famous sermons in American history.

So.

I liked it at first. I liked the idea that we all strive for something that is often already in our lives and that we’re seduced by the idea that something better is out there in some far off place. It’s the old the-grass-is-always greener adage. I like the message that we don’t need to wait to do good or make an impact – we can start now, start small
Nomi
Jul 31, 2013 Nomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews-i-wrote
Sometimes we forget to look in our own backyard be it for answers or for ideas to further our wealth, health, or spiritual self.
We live in a society where everything better is assigned an 'elusive' tag. Where everything better is always something we don't possess.
This little book reminds us that that is not always the case.
We are taught to always weigh all our options before proceeding with a decision and too many times we only weigh 'outer' options failing to take stock of what we already po
Vivek Rajan Vivek
I really liked this book, a small concise manuscript with stories and messages that are still relevant today as it was a century ago.

The most important message in this book is this "whatever you want in life can be found in your own backyard". You don't have to go searching across seven seas to find it.

I apply this principle using the 80:20 rule. 80% of the time this is true. Only when one has exhausted all options available locally should only look for help elsewhere.

A must read.

Vivek Rajan Viv
Mario Tomic
Oct 09, 2014 Mario Tomic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really amazed how much wisdom this book contains, every lesson is presented with a true story and it's very easy to recognize the value in these stories. The book itself really goes hard against the very common belief people have that the grass is always greener at the other side of the fence. To read this entire book it won't take you longer than an hour and it's full of powerful concepts that can be just as easily applied today as in 1846 when this book was first published.
Vaishali Joglekar
From a very famous speech in the 1800s. Hilarious in places, and with some surprising historical information. I'm listing the historic info first, followed by a few quotes on self-improvement.

HISTORIC INFO:
1. Inventions originally by women (but patented by men)
Jacquard loom
cotton gin
sewing machine
mower/reaper
trolley switch
iron squeezers in steel mills

2. Funny meeting w/ General Robert E. Lee
"The general told me about his servant Rastus, who was an enlisted colored soldier. He called him
Diya Bundhoo
Apr 09, 2015 Diya Bundhoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acres of Diamonds by Russell H. Conwell is a small, easy to read book with deep thoughts. It is an inspiring lecture on success in life, with emphasis on the perspective of wealth, money and doing good:

Some of his powerful words:

“Money is power, money is force, money will do good as well as harm. In the hands of good men and women it could accomplish, and it has accomplished, good.”

“You cannot trust a man with your money who cannot take care of his own. You cannot trust a man in your family that
Jonathan
Feb 11, 2016 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Russell Conwell, the founder of Temple University, saw nothing evil about material riches, in fact he thought that Christians should pursue riches for making the world a better place. His speech, given in Philadelphia, reads like a pep talk to the congregation to get up and start being real businessmen. It is strange to hear a religious speech so different from "Money is the root of all sorts of evil". For Conwell, the secret of success is to first know the demand. Keep your ear to the ground a ...more
Ayodele
Book teaches:
1. Prosper where you are (there is a veritable gold mine where you are NOW, find it).
2. Great men are often plain men. Greatness does not come by gaining some "important" office.
3. Figure out what people want and then give it to them.
Don Gubler
Feb 26, 2013 Don Gubler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
Good advice in knowing and using the resources all around you.
Mark Holencik
Dec 24, 2015 Mark Holencik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Very uplifting story of how he followed his heart and built a legacy.
Chris Cook
This is a short book, easy to read, based, I think, on a speech the author did sometime in the 1890s. As such, it's probably one of the first self-help get-rich books out there, and it's a classic. Many of the self-help books of the last 20 years borrow liberally from this book. The most important lesson in this book is to find something that is basically in your own back yard to make your fame and fortune from. It's an important reminder that you already have what it takes to make your fortune. ...more
Donovan Richards
An Inspiring Story

For some reason, the simplicity of the standard “success story” conjures the hopeful sentiment that such accomplishments could occur in any life. Truthfully, most successful stories begin with an idea, a notion of which all human beings are equally capable. In Acres of Diamonds, Russell Conwell utilizes positive and negative narratives in order to inspire productivity in his community.

In Defense of Wealth

Simply speaking, Conwell is pro wealth. While many theologians and ethici
Erlyn Trinidad
Author: Russell H. Conwell

Pages: 70

Genre: Self-help, Motivational

Generally, the book is a short read. It tackles our usual perception and often times, misconception that the grass is always greener at the other side of the fence. It just looks that way, but the book has several true to life stories about people who made it big just because they tried to look around them and looked for a need that they can supply, and in fact some of these people even created a need for their product. On the othe
Lesa
Jan 17, 2013 Lesa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
What a wonderful book. The ebook I downloaded from Amazon included a biography and an autobiographical text after the lecture upon which the title of this book was named. I think the scope and understanding of the lecture is incomplete without knowing who Dr. Conwell actually was. He is one of the most amazing men I've ever had the pleasure to read about and I chose to read this book on a whim, since it happened to be in the A section of my Kindle archives.

The negative reviews I've seen here ab
Anthony Russo
Apr 26, 2014 Anthony Russo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Russell Conwell was, among other significant achievements, a Civil War hero, a minister, and President of Temple University. In this speech he inspires his audience to their personal best to honor God and help their fellow man. He is a master communicator using dozens of stories and illustrations to make his points. It's short reading, but certainly thought provoking.
Owaiz
Jan 30, 2014 Owaiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea how much I was going to fall in love with this speech when I started reading it. It was simply something given to me for proof-reading but boy, this is amazing! I've read stuff about thoughts and mind-power and will-power and always find all that anything but annoying. I think this speech is the best there is for self-empowerment. This is brilliant!
Chris Ross
I don't quite understand why this book is called a classic and a must read. It is written in English that most 20th or 21st century people do not remember and don't appreciate. It is essentially a story of a man in the Middle East who sells his land in search of diamonds and wealth and the man who buys his farm finds diamonds on the man's farm. Russell backs up this story with many other similar stories in the U.S.A. Essentially wealth, greatness, and your own field of diamonds lay hidden wherev ...more
sharon
Feb 08, 2015 sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find A Need

Not an exciting book but one to make you think. Has anything changed? Do we miss opportunities because we are to quick to look somewhere else? Do we miss opportunity right where we live?
Victoria
Great Morals, but a bit hard to read.

Book has great morals, and great ideas to ponder on. However it's a bit hard to follow because the author jumps around in topic a lot.
Heather
Jan 29, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though originally a speech from the 1800's, this work has excellent points on how to be successful while still being a good person at the same time that can be put into practice in today's society.
Keith Aul
Mar 23, 2011 Keith Aul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great example of someone who started out in life with nothing and achieved greatness. Mr. Conwell believed if you can find enough people to fulfill then need you are giving, you will become 'wealthy' because it is an automatic process.

Mr. Conwell was driven for the need to help other people help themselves. His primary motivation was to meet the needs of other people.

Have you heard of the Chinese proverb - 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed h
Terri
Jun 14, 2015 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Totally forgot that I read it so pretty sure it didn't do much for me. Actually thought the title came from a Johnny Cash song so again, how much help could it be.
Marshal Mdeza
May 11, 2015 Marshal Mdeza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Undoubtedly the best speech ever written. It is about opportunity knocking from unusual places. This is the bestseller of all times.
Michael Locklear
Aug 12, 2014 Michael Locklear rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discarded
Parables and sayings I've heard before, but still not worth the $1.00 I spent in purchasing it. As I was reading, I felt like something was missing. Possibly because mine was a much old edition.
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • The Choice
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • Dynamic People Skills
  • Mach II With Your Hair On Fire: The Art of Vision & Self Motivation
  • Cultivating an Unshakable Character
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • See You at the Top
  • How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
  • Seeds of Greatness
  • You Were Born Rich: Now You Can Discover And Develop Those Riches
Russell Herman Conwell was a Baptist minister, philanthropist, lawyer, and writer best remembered as the founder of Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and for his inspirational lecture, Acres of Diamonds.
More about Russell H. Conwell...

“Your diamonds are not in far distant mountains or in yonder seas; they are in your own backyard, if you but dig for them.” 5 likes
“True greatness is often unrecognized.” 2 likes