Start by marking “Acres of Diamonds” as Want to Read:
Acres of Diamonds

Acres of Diamonds

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  2,506 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Acres of Diamonds, by Russell H. Conwell, is one of the most popular inspirational classics about success ever published. This paperback edition is published with the hope that readers will be able to learn from the lessons included in this text, and be able to use these lessons to further their lives. This short yet powerful and life changing book should be read by anybod ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Filiquarian Publishing, LLC. (first published January 1st 1846)

To ask other readers questions about Acres of Diamonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acres of Diamonds

Chris Munson
Based on a speech originally given as a lecture to raise money for what would become Temple University, this parable about seeing the riches around you can help give you a new perspective. Short and powerful (the book is much like "Who Moved My Cheese" in that it is brief, but contains an important lesson told in the form of a story) "Acres of Diamonds" will force you to take a new look at your own backyard when looking for opportunity. The basic story revolves around a Persian farmer who loses ...more
Nomi
Sometimes we forget to look in our own backyard be it for answers or for ideas to further our wealth, health, or spiritual self.
We live in a society where everything better is assigned an 'elusive' tag. Where everything better is always something we don't possess.
This little book reminds us that that is not always the case.
We are taught to always weigh all our options before proceeding with a decision and too many times we only weigh 'outer' options failing to take stock of what we already po
Sharon
Written by the founder of Temple University, "Acres of Diamonds" is an inspirational lecture about success. (The edition I read also included a biography of Russell Conwell and a brief autobiographical note from the author.)

Conwell, who presented this lecture in excess of 5,000 times during his life, was a Civil War officer, lawyer and pastor. His family farm was one of the stops on the Underground Railroad and he established one of the first schools that would educate African-American children.
David LeDoux
This is a small book with a large message that could potentially have an enormous impact on the reader with the 'ears to hear' it and the will to internalize it and put it into action in his or her life every day. The greatness that exists within every one of us does not exist in any external form whatsoever. Rather, it exists within us...waiting to be uncovered and unleashed. When used for the good of others and not for reasons of selfish gain, we discover that we, also, have more than we need; ...more
Tori
I wish I could remember what caused me to buy this book over 10 years ago. I have been taking it with me through 6 moves, and I finally read it last night. Horrid. Maybe it is the original prosperity gospel. I have never read so much bs in so few pages. I have never done this with a book before but I am throwing it in the trash.
Ian Connel
There are some good values in Acres of Diamonds, but a pastor who argues that "poverty is the result of God's opinion of those people" and "rich men are the most honest men" is unbelievably misled. For one, does he know Jesus led a life of poverty, serving the poor? And for two, has he ever heard of advertising? If only he had any clue that many businesses would depend on, and thrive on, using fear and false information to sell things that nobody actually needs.

In fairness, I made it through ab
Don Gubler
Good advice in knowing and using the resources all around you.
Mark Holencik
Very uplifting story of how he followed his heart and built a legacy.
Chris Cook
This is a short book, easy to read, based, I think, on a speech the author did sometime in the 1890s. As such, it's probably one of the first self-help get-rich books out there, and it's a classic. Many of the self-help books of the last 20 years borrow liberally from this book. The most important lesson in this book is to find something that is basically in your own back yard to make your fame and fortune from. It's an important reminder that you already have what it takes to make your fortune. ...more
Donovan Richards
An Inspiring Story

For some reason, the simplicity of the standard “success story” conjures the hopeful sentiment that such accomplishments could occur in any life. Truthfully, most successful stories begin with an idea, a notion of which all human beings are equally capable. In Acres of Diamonds, Russell Conwell utilizes positive and negative narratives in order to inspire productivity in his community.

In Defense of Wealth

Simply speaking, Conwell is pro wealth. While many theologians and ethici
Erlyn Trinidad
Author: Russell H. Conwell

Pages: 70

Genre: Self-help, Motivational

Generally, the book is a short read. It tackles our usual perception and often times, misconception that the grass is always greener at the other side of the fence. It just looks that way, but the book has several true to life stories about people who made it big just because they tried to look around them and looked for a need that they can supply, and in fact some of these people even created a need for their product. On the othe
Mario Tomic
I'm really amazed how much wisdom this book contains, every lesson is presented with a true story and it's very easy to recognize the value in these stories. The book itself really goes hard against the very common belief people have that the grass is always greener at the other side of the fence. To read this entire book it won't take you longer than an hour and it's full of powerful concepts that can be just as easily applied today as in 1846 when this book was first published.
Lesa
What a wonderful book. The ebook I downloaded from Amazon included a biography and an autobiographical text after the lecture upon which the title of this book was named. I think the scope and understanding of the lecture is incomplete without knowing who Dr. Conwell actually was. He is one of the most amazing men I've ever had the pleasure to read about and I chose to read this book on a whim, since it happened to be in the A section of my Kindle archives.

The negative reviews I've seen here ab
Anthony F Russo
Very good. Russell Conwell was, among other significant achievements, a Civil War hero, a minister, and President of Temple University. In this speech he inspires his audience to their personal best to honor God and help their fellow man. He is a master communicator using dozens of stories and illustrations to make his points. It's short reading, but certainly thought provoking.
Owaiz
I had no idea how much I was going to fall in love with this speech when I started reading it. It was simply something given to me for proof-reading but boy, this is amazing! I've read stuff about thoughts and mind-power and will-power and always find all that anything but annoying. I think this speech is the best there is for self-empowerment. This is brilliant!
Chris Ross
I don't quite understand why this book is called a classic and a must read. It is written in English that most 20th or 21st century people do not remember and don't appreciate. It is essentially a story of a man in the Middle East who sells his land in search of diamonds and wealth and the man who buys his farm finds diamonds on the man's farm. Russell backs up this story with many other similar stories in the U.S.A. Essentially wealth, greatness, and your own field of diamonds lay hidden wherev ...more
Keith Aul
Another great example of someone who started out in life with nothing and achieved greatness. Mr. Conwell believed if you can find enough people to fulfill then need you are giving, you will become 'wealthy' because it is an automatic process.

Mr. Conwell was driven for the need to help other people help themselves. His primary motivation was to meet the needs of other people.

Have you heard of the Chinese proverb - 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed h
Rebecca
This book is a treasure. It leaves a lasting impression which is powerful and extremely important if you want to have balance and true happiness.
Michael Locklear
Parables and sayings I've heard before, but still not worth the $1.00 I spent in purchasing it. As I was reading, I felt like something was missing. Possibly because mine was a much old edition.
Justin
Aside from a faulty exposition on why poor people are poor, this was a fascinatingly timeless read, (if that phrase is possible).
Lisa Warring
I feel a lot smarter now. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to take finanacial control of their life.
Dennis Schvejda
I have mixed feelings about this book. The "Acres" lecture was so so. It was delivered over 6,500 times, and while its pro-wealth/business theme may have been applicable at the time, I can only compare its message with the consummate greed quite so evident today. I did enjoy the biographical details of the author, Russell H. Cromwell... founder of Temple University, Civil War officer, preacher, founder of hospitals. A great success/motivational story here! Bottom line, a "classic" (published in ...more
Vivek Rajan Vivek
I really liked this book, a small concise manuscript with stories and messages that are still relevant today as it was a century ago.

The most important message in this book is this "whatever you want in life can be found in your own backyard". You don't have to go searching across seven seas to find it.

I apply this principle using the 80:20 rule. 80% of the time this is true. Only when one has exhausted all options available locally should only look for help elsewhere.

A must read.

Vivek Rajan Viv
Glenn
Great lecture. A simple parable becomes a metaphor for how you approach life. It's so easy to take what you have for granted, not just in material objects, but also in skills and relationships.
Robert Brill
Powerful lessons!!! Simple & Quick read!!!
Marc
A classic MUST read!
Avel
Think about a simple lesson you may have learned in your life. How about: The answer you are looking for is usually right in front of you. Well...this is what the book depicts for the reader. It really is well written and the story makes you wonder. Really enjoyed this little gem. Abe Lincoln's success formula and others are filled with common sense tactics to leading a rich life. Looking forward to using some of these pearls and passing this book on to those I care about. Gold Nugget of a book!
Jes
As a transcribed speech, not too bad. There is a reason it has been in print for so long. There are good thoughts here, and a lot of common sense that we all need to be reminded of. This would have been a much better read if the racial slurs at the beginning were removed and if more modern copy was applied. In dire need of a revised edition for a modern audience. There will be those who will not get through the first 10 pages, even with acknowledging that it was written in a different era.
A lecture by Russell Conwell (a motivational speaker and minister who founded Temple University) that talks about the ability to be successful "in your own backyard". It was written at the turn of the 20th century, but the message is as relevant today. He sent all the money made from this lecture (delivered over 5000 times and making over a million dollars) to young men who needed money to finish their education. This book also contained an interesting biography of Conwell.
  • The Choice
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • The Magic of Believing
  • The Tongue - A Creative Force
  • See You at the Top
  • How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
  • The Dream Giver: Following Your God-Given Destiny
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do!
  • Developing the Leaders Around You
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth
Russell Herman Conwell was a Baptist minister, philanthropist, lawyer, and writer best remembered as the founder of Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and for his inspirational lecture, Acres of Diamonds.
More about Russell H. Conwell...
Acres of Diamonds: Our Every-Day Opportunities Acres of Diamond & The Way to Wealth Acres of Diamonds: All Good Things Are Possible, Right Where You Are, and Now! Observation; --Every Man His Own University Motivational Classics

“Your diamonds are not in far distant mountains or in yonder seas; they are in your own backyard, if you but dig for them.” 3 likes
“True greatness is often unrecognized.” 2 likes