Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings

Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The development of Martin Luther's thought was both a symptom and a moving force in the transformation of the Middle Ages into the modern world.

Geographical discovery, an emerging scientific tradition, and a climate of social change had splintered the unity of medieval Christian culture, and these changes provided the background for Luther's theological challenge. His new...more
Paperback, Anchor Books edition, 526 pages
Published 1961 by Doubleday (first published February 20th 1958)

Earl H
The selected writings of Luther in this collection are placed in topical sections but I read them based on the date they were written to give me insight of Luther's thinking and insights over time. In this way you get a perspective of his views during various situations he was living in and how it impacted his thoughts and faith life. The author here puts Luther's preface for his Latin writings in the beginning of this collection. It should be placed at both the beginning and end. Then when one...more
Erik Graff
Aug 16, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Lutherans
Recommended to Erik by: David Lotz
Shelves: religion
Being born of a Norwegian national, in some official sense I may be a member of the national church. However, I wasn't raised that way unless one counts the occasional Easter when Mother would take me to a Lutheran church to hear an interminable sermon. By coincidence, however, Larry Nolden, my best friend in early grade school being Lutheran and my parents not caring, I did attend Lutheran Sunday School for maybe a year during childhood. Fortunately, the teacher was a liberal, so I actually lea...more
John
Tell us what you really think, Martin Luther:

"Oh, listen to that; you dunce, where is it written in God's Word that Father Pope and Brother Cardinal are the true church? Was it because that was what the fine parrot bird said to the black jackdaw?"

"Hence it is again to be diligently noted how Christ described his church for us; for this description is a strong thunderbolt against the miserable pope and his decretals by which he has made of the church of God a filthy privy."

"But the Leipzig Lectur...more
Jeremy
Assigned for Alan Jacobs's class at Baylor on the Early Modern Age (Spring 2014). From this text, I read only the Preface to Latin Writings (pp. 12), and the selections from Bondage of the Will (pp. 166-203), because I read the other assignments in another volume.
Ryan
Luther is excellent. I'll have to finish the un-read sections someday.
Maggie
I like that he was a catalyst for change and he promoted religious freedom but I truly believe he was off on much of his doctrine, such as that salvation is a gift from God by grace in the belief of Jesus Christ. Well that would mean that it doesn't matter what anyone does in their lives, good or bad, because grace will save them in the long run. Good ideas, which spurned the change for better ones.
Catherine
I disagree with pretty much everything he has to say, but I enjoyed the writing more than I thought I would. He was a fairly articulate guy. I admired this book the way you admire presidential speeches. They're always brilliantly worded, but generally pretty empty.
Chris Mclain
I read selections of this book for a Reformation era theology and history class at the graduate level in seminary. I found the translations accessible and the format simple and easy to navigate.
Bob Ladwig
Great volume to have if you don't plan on having an entire bookshelf dedicated to Luther or if you just want Luther boiled down. This book has chunks of his most valuable works.
Charles
I read this text in Dr. J. Michael Utzinger's Reformation Thought course during my junior year at Hampden-Sydney.
Oliver
This book provides a really good account of Martin Luthers views on true Christianity.
Alan Swartz
Martin Luther, selections from his writings by Martin Luther (1961), [1st ed.]
James
Pretty good introduction to Reformation theology. Glad I read it.
Victoria
Reading for my grad class. Interesting stuff...
Jay D
Good overview of his thought.
Jaye
I"m still Catholic.

Jody Heil
LC Call No.: BR331.E5 D5
Taylor George
This one has all the goodies.
Peter Kliem
1961 Edition
Dan Yingst
Luther sucks
Brett
Super interesting
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Guilherme
Guilherme marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Ian Pubman
Ian Pubman marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
  • Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • Western Society and the Church in the Middle Ages (History of the Church, #2)
  • Institutes of the Christian Religion (2 Volume Set)
  • The Christian Tradition 3: The Growth of Medieval Theology 600-1300
  • Canon of Scripture
  • Fundamentalism and American Culture (New Edition)
  • Dogmatics in Outline
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge, National Covenant and the Solemn League and Covenant)
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount
  • The Enchiridion on Faith Hope and Love (Augustine Series 1)
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • How Long, O Lord?
  • Reaching Out without Dumbing Down: A Theology of Worship for This Urgent Time
  • The Early Church (The Pelican History of the Church, #1)
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Creation and Fall Temptation: Two Biblical Studies
  • A History of Christianity in the United States and Canada
Martin Luther was a German monk, theologian, university professor and church reformer whose ideas inspired the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a spiritual priesthood. According...more
More about Martin Luther...
The Bondage of the Will 95 Theses On Christian Liberty (Facets) Luther's Small Catechism, with Explanation Three Treatises

“Philosophy is the Devil's Whore” 11 likes