Start by marking “Trafalgar” as Want to Read:
Trafalgar

Trafalgar

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  22 reviews
En el Burgundy. ¿Podrías -dijo Trafalgar- escribir un cuento con cada uno de mis viajes?. -Ni loca -le contesté-. En primer lugar los cuentos propuestos por los demás nunca sirven: los cuentos lo eligen a uno, no uno a los cuentos. No me repliques, mirá que el maestro Borges está de acuerdo conmigo. Fumó y me miró a través del humito azul del corto negro sin filtro pestile ...more
Published 2006 by Emecé Editores (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Trafalgar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trafalgar

Stefan
Trafalgar by Angélica Gorodischer is a wonderful and deceptively complex little book that will play havoc with your mind in general and any preconceived genre expectations you may have in particular. I highly recommend grabbing it for that reason alone, but read on if you need more convincing.

Angélica Gorodischer is the Argentine author of more than twenty books, only two of which have been translated into English thus far. The first one of these was Kalpa Imperial, translated by Ursula K. Le Gu
Justin Howe
Reads a bit like sitting in a cafe with your grandmother's youngest brother, the great uncle that traveled everywhere and never seems to stop smoking, drinking coffee, or holding your interest with the accounts of his adventures.
Danelle
Feb 05, 2013 Danelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction, magical realism, and S. American writers
Trafalgar Medrano is a salesman who travels to distant galaxies. He'll tell you of his latest escapades - where he's been, the trouble he encountered, the women, and how he got away just in time - but only if you sit with him while he leisurely describes his adventures over seven coffees. Don't rush Trafalgar, he'll get to it; you just have to be patient.

An excellent book of short stories of the magical-realism/science fiction genre. Ten stories in all, and you, reader, are the person Trafalgar
Liliana
Cada vez me gusta más!
Jorge Roldán
Angélica Gorodischer nos presenta a Trafalgar Medrano, un particular personaje de Rosario, adicto al café, a los cigarrillos negros, y a las mujeres hermosas. Con su nave espacial "El Cacharro", viaja solitario por el universo vendiendo un poco de todo, y de paso viviendo las más extrañas aventuras... o al menos eso cuenta él a sus amigos y conocidos cada vez que vuelve al Burgundy, el bar de su querida Rosario donde Marcos sirve el mejor café de la galaxia.
Por medio del relato indirecto, utili
Benjamin
Like Kalpa Imperial, it's a mosaic novel of interconnected short stories. This time they're stories about a man who tells outrageous stories of his travels to other planets. Not really fiction, not really science fiction either so the book falls somewhere in between. Each story essentially has the same plot, but that never bothered me at all as it's so well written.
Wally
Excellent Argentinean science fiction that follows the adventures of Trafalgar, a businessman who somehow travels through outer space, finding strange places, revising old SF tropes, and telling his tales amidst copious amounts of coffee. This is SF for people who don't really like SF, but who do like really good storytelling.
Ryan Mishap
The original publication date of 1979 should have scared me away but the translator is a local and my armizare instructor said it was a great book.

The potential is there: an Argentinian businessman travels the stars selling things to the peoples of various planets and he likes to drink coffee and tell of his adventures when he returns. The science fiction elements are inventive and there, but these little tales are really bawdy adventure stories filled with jokes and lighthearted banter. I could
Christine Mack
The short stories in this are very interesting. I could imagine meeting someone like Trafalgar and listening to his stories.
Kaushik Iyer
Wonderful story-telling.

If you think about memorable raconteurs in literature, there's some names that immediately come to mind (The Oldest Member in Wodehouse, Zaphod Beeblebrox in Adams). Add Trafalgar to that list.

This was a charming set of vignettes, part science fiction, part magical realism. Cozy and fun.

Less than Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was, but a pleasant accompaniment to a mug of coffee.
Leif
It must be said off the bat: this collection isn't quite as compelling as Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was. Nevertheless, and that's a big nevertheless, Trafalgar's collection of short stories revolving around the titular character, Trafalgar Medrano, is an adventurous and at times thrilling read, employing classic science fiction tropes and themes perhaps most familiar from Keith Laumer's many books about the interstellar diplomatic agent Jame Retief. While Gorodischer's Trafa ...more
Althea Ann
Picked this up shortly after reading Gorodischer's Kalpa Imperial, yes, because it was translated by Ursula K. LeGuin.
This book had a different translator, but the 'voice' is very much the same (confirming, I guess, that both translators did a good job!)

I didn't like this one as much; but it was still enjoyable, and it did have quite a few similarities, both in format and theme. Both books are very concerned with the narrative voice, with storytelling as a human phenomenon. Both are (sort-of) co
Timothy Pecoraro
This was book, I picked up virtually at random from my local library. It was VERY short book of short stories all concerning the main character who's name is the title of the book. It wasn't the least bit bad in the sense that the stories were entertaining. But it was a very strange work in that there were many inconsistencies of time and place that were never really explained in the work at all. But I did enjoy reading it and the translator did an amazing job. I would probably recommend this b ...more
Dave
Trafgar is a really nice blend- like a fine coffee, capable of conveying many nuances of flavor - libertine sensuity, golden age sci-if tropes, philosophical inquiry, wonder, action, travelogue, and humor. Lots of humor.

Reminiscent to me of some bizarro varient of Conrad's Marlowe tales, with (unspecified how) interstellar Instead of intercontinental trade as the propulsive force.

Fascinating not least for being Argentine, and thus for me echoing Borges. And showing sense of gender relations mad
John Devenny
I've been on a kick lately of reading translated specfic from non English speaking authors. Read stories from China, Brazil, Sweden and Latin America. The best was Jagannath by Karin Tidbeck but this one is not too far behind. It is a novel consisting of interconnected stories all concerning Trafalgar Medrano who is either an interplanetary traveller and/or a good story teller.
Tim Hollo
Considering Kalpa Imperial is among my favourite books ever, I was bound to be at least slightly disappointed by Trafalgar. I enjoyed it very much for the quality of the story-telling, but it reaches nowhere near the dizzy heights of creativity and the incredible depth and breadth of vision that is Kalpa Imperial.
Jeff
Excellent, fresh voice with a good style, that reminded me of early Heinlien. We follow Trafalger Medrano's adventures as he wheels and deals across the cosmos, fueled by black, unsweetened coffee. My favorite story revisited Isebella & Ferdinad's court, with discovery aided by the 'clunker.'
Tim
Some great writing, that focuses on characters, curiosities and tall stories first and foremost. Trafalgar's space ship is referred to as "the clunker", which I love. Land, lock the doors, begin the next adventure!
Aaron Kent
Curious and enjoyable. Reminded me of Stanislaw Lem's work for some reason. I could easily see Trafalgar being played by Alfred Molina in a very good Terry Gilliam film.
Zachary Jernigan
Nope. No way. Could not stand the writing style. ... What is it with me and Latin American writers? I just can't get any traction with them at all.
La Revistería Comics
Un cuento por cada viaje, diez sorpresas en cada cuento, cien maravillas en cada sorpresa. Y así hasta contras hasta trafalgarón.
Mary Good
Just couldn't get into it.
Ger Stormchaser
Ger Stormchaser is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2015
Betsy-the-muffin
Betsy-the-muffin marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Andrey Shchekin
Andrey Shchekin marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Cher
Cher added it
Aug 02, 2015
Catherine Fitzsimmons
Catherine Fitzsimmons marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Strideranne
Strideranne is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2015
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • Heck
  • A Fisherman of the Inland Sea
  • The Missing Year of Juan Salvatierra
Angélica Beatriz del Rosario Arcal de Gorodischer es una multipremiada autora argentina reconocida como una de las figuras femeninas más importantes dentro de la Ciencia-Ficción y Fantasía iberoamericana, aunque ha trabajado otros géneros.

Traducida al alemán y al inglés (en este idioma la traductora fue Ursula K. Le Guin), es autora de una docena de novelas y multitud de relatos.
More about Angélica Gorodischer...
Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was Floreros De Alabastro, Alfombras De Bokhara Kalpa Imperial. Libro I: La casa del poder Kalpa Imperial. Libro II: El imperio más vasto Tumba de Jaguares