Start by marking “Line War (Agent Cormac, #5)” as Want to Read:
Line War (Agent Cormac, #5)

Line War (Agent Cormac #5)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  2,137 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Polity is under attack from a melded AI entity with control of the lethal Jain technology, yet the attack seems to have no coherence. When one of Erebuss wormships kills millions on the world of Klurhammon, a high-tech agricultural world of no real tactical significance, agent Ian Cormac is sent to investigate, though he is secretly struggling to control a new ability ...more
Published April 30th 2008 by Tor (first published March 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Line War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Line War

Susanne
Aug 27, 2009 Susanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sff
Meh... I don't know. I absolutely loved 'Gridlinked' and 'The Line of Polity' but this one didn't really hit the spot I thought. The plot is great, of course, the final showdown between Polity and Erebus couldn't be anything but. Also, Mr Crane. You can't miss with a character like that.

I think the reason this book didn't sit so well with me was because, in an attempt to suspend my disbelief, Asher constantly managed to do the opposite, by means of over-explanation. I haven't got the book to han
Psychophant
The first two Cormac books, although linked, stand on their own. The other three, however, are tightly connected, forming a whole set. Thankfully the last one closes down most threads and although open-ended, gives a reasonable conclusion, and hints that the series stops here.

I confess I was relieved when it ended, as the series had become bloated and a bit unwieldy, with some scenes and imaginative settings, but padded with too much pointless description and repetition.

In this book happen many
Mark
Finally I've come to the last Agent Cormac book, Line War, and up to now it's been a ride of ups and downs. The first two books, Gridlinked and The Line of Polity, were rather enjoyable, but they did have their issues. After that came Brass Man and Polity Agent, both of which upped the stakes and delivered some really great sci-fi. Now with Line War the story comes to a conclusion, and while it ends the series as a whole I always had that niggle of a doubt in my mind that it might not be as spec ...more
Tim Hicks
Not really a full five stars, but enough fun that I rounded up.

I guess I can't get enough of AIs running 20-mile-long spaceships while always seeming to speak with on eyebrow raised and a half-smile.

You really have to have read the earlier books to enjoy this one.

The whole series is huge in scope, and this volume's no exception. There are quite a few major characters on stage. Millions, possibly billions of people are killed, planets blown up, etc. and in the midst of all this there's room fo
Jessica
Enjoyed, but not as much as previous books in the series.

I found the first half of the book to be bogged down by so many explanations of what things look like, how the AIs transmit information and the intricacies of battle. In the prior volumes Asher had managed to give me feel of these things without it being whole swaths of passages just describing things. Found Orlandine and Cormac more cold and remote than before and less easy to connect with as characters. Luckily the AI characters filled
Allan
A good finale to the Ian Cormac series. A thoroughly fast-paced tale with the final showdown with rogue AI Erebus and its Jain-enhanced army. The puzzling entity that is Dragon is also pursuing its own agenda and Mr. Crane is finally pushed too far. In the middle of all of this is Ian Cormac, a "man" with new abilities...maybe, he's still not sure.
Jack
Apr 16, 2010 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
Oo! Released slowly and out of order in the U.S.--start with Gridlinked, if you're interested--a few more of British SF author Neal Asher's books have recently turned up in the Kindle store. I was stoked to get ahold of the conclusion to the Agent Cormac series. I was surprised by how it wrapped up!
Lisandro

A fitting finishing for a series of very good books! Mr Asher has a pace of writing that makes it enjoyable and a universe very well constructed. Also de development of characters like Cormac and Dragon and very interesting!!!
Ryangbiv
Another in the Cormac series, read more for my completionist agenda than anything. Where I enjoyed the new concepts in The Skinner and Gridlinked this title was just more of the same from the rest of the series.
Thomas
Continues in the Polity series, and raises quite a few questions about the way AIs are running things.

I think it opens up a whole new avenue of stories for future books. And I am looking forward to them.
Rory (Nightwyrm)
A hard series to describe. Definitely quite slow at the start, but picked up to a decent pace by the end.
Gareth Park
was good, was a bit too large in scale for periods, missed out all the cormac action with his tenkian blade
Lauri
Tõsine lõpetus kogu Ian Cormaci või ka Polity - tsüklile. Lõpetus küll, kuid Asher pöördub veel tagasi samasse maailma Cormaci - sarja hiljem kirjutatud proloogi "The Shadow of the Scorpion kujul.
Kõik või vähemalt enamus saladusi saab lahenduse. Erebuse rünnak Polityle, Jaini-tehnoloogia päritolu, ajalugu ja tulevik, gabbleduck'ide nukker ajalugu, Mr. Crane, Cormaci tasapisi ilmnema hakanud võimed, nagu näiteks võime gridlinkida ilma gridlinki omamata või siis oskus ise siseneda ja reisida U-spa
Guy
Neil Asher's "Line War" is a solid conclusion to a brilliant series, but don't read it until you have read the previous four books in what should be (but isn't) called the "Ian Cormac" series. Asher tries to fill in the background for the reader who hasn't read the other books, but frankly he does not succeed and it doesn't work particularly well as a stand-alone story.

On the other hand,"Line War" is a great success as the final book in a series, nicely tying off many story lines and largely pro
Malquiviades
So, finally an end of the Cormac's saga?

I hope so. If this is so, it has come as a relieved to me. For the last books of the saga it has used up most of the originality and most of the possibility of surprising you with something new as it repeats itself once and again. Besides, I have been enjoying much more those parts of the story where Cormac does not appear.

About the story... well it is not bad as it closes many of the open points left unresolved in the previous books. And also it gives yo
Lauren
Wonderful almost the whole way through. The scenes with Azroc on Jerusalem I could have done without, mostly, but the rest of the book is lovely. It started off slow, but the slow start gave the action a nice build to where stuff blows up. Because it wouldn't be an Ian Cormac book without stuff going out with an almighty bang. And then, just for some balance, there's a bit of creepy, quiet death and really old bodies, floating silently in their envirosuits through the cold dark vacuum...shudder ...more
Alex Borghgraef
A worthy conclusion to the Ian Cormac series. Asher has grown a lot through this, the series started as a campy-but-fun Culture-meets-007 romp with a pinch of military SF added (ticking all if my guilty pleasure boxes), but in Line War it finishes on a truly epic note, asking the kind of questions on humanity and the implications of advanced to godlike technology which make SF into such an interesting genre, while ramping up the badassery of the earlier books to unseen levels. Seriously, the Cor ...more
Angela Bull Radoff
The satisfying conclusion to a thought provoking five book space opera series. I will miss you Dragon.
Miki Habryn
The triumphant yet somewhat mysterious conclusion to this plot arc, as tight scripting gives way to inadequately justified motivations, strange reversals, and, most vexingly, no real justification of what was so unusual or significant about the particular characters that became so special. The entire book smells a little like a hunt for a sufficiently grand conclusion to wrap the story up; methinks Asher got a little tired of this particular series. Worth reading if you're attached to the charac ...more
Tomas
nic moc a navrch chujovy preklad by Marek Hrncir. Blah!
Chuck
The usual from Neal Asher, solid scifi.
Nerine Dorman
Okay, this is not a story that I'd willingly pick up but I'm reviewing it for one of the dailies, so I gave it a good shot. As a friend of mine told me, "Think Pirates of the Caribbean" set in space...and so long as I shoved my brain into neutral, I went along for the ride.

Plenty of big explosions and super-violence... and some memorable characters, like Orlandine and Mr Crane... and the not-so-cute but huggable Arach... but I couldn't help but feel that the characters were somehow dragged along
Fresno Bob
enjoyable stuff, wish I would have read book 4 more recently
Mark Heptonstall
Extremely disappointed this is the last in the Cormac series. Unlike other similar sagas, I thought the ending was excellent. Having read most of Ricahrd Morgan, Iain Banks, Peter Hamilton etc, I was really happy to have found all of Neal Ashers books to trawl through!!!
Mike Franklin
Whilst the story, characters and plot were, as usual, excellent, the storytelling itself seemed rather muddled. There were a lot of POV's sometimes with large gaps between visiting them leaving you wondering what that POV was up to last time it was active. The latter part of the book, as they all come together, was less muddled and built up to an excellent, if by then rather predictable, ending.
Jim
Neal Asher ties together many threads in Line War - and what starts as just another Ian Cormac novel explodes in a galaxy spanning space opera. This entry in the Polity saga is one of the strongest novels yet. There are lots of answers to unresolved questions from previous novels, and action feature mega-battles across the line of the Polity. This is a must read.
Ryon
Jan 09, 2014 Ryon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
The exciting conclusion to Neal Asher's initial Polity series of books. Not to be missed, along with the rest of the series.
Simon Ford
EPIC!

A tour de force of post cyber punk space opera.

Ian Cormac is an ECS agent, the James Bond of the future, only with balls of solid ceramal.

Great to see Vulture and Mr Crane(The Brass Man) make a welcome appearence in the last of the Cormac series.

The real threat to the Polity is not what it seems.

Catherine
Even though I began this book not realising that this was book 3 in the trilogy, it still made sense which was good. I really liked the character of Ian Cormac & would have liked more on him. I found the had scifi aspect hard to follow when I was tired, but I did enjoy the story as a whole.
David William
I'm a reasonably smart guy, but half the time while reading this, I didn't have a clue what was going on. In this case, at least, Asher's not a patch on Iain Banks, whom he's clearly attempting to emulate (some might say "rip off"). Inferior.
  • The Prefect
  • A Second Chance at Eden
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • Wireless
  • Surface Detail (Culture, #9)
  • Broken Angels (Takeshi Kovacs, #2)
  • Remix
I’ve been an engineer, barman, skip lorry driver, coalman, boat window manufacturer, contract grass cutter and builder. Now I write science fiction books, and am slowly getting over the feeling that someone is going to find me out, and can call myself a writer without wincing and ducking my head. As professions go, I prefer this one: I don’t have to clock-in, change my clothes after work, nor scru ...more
More about Neal Asher...
Gridlinked (Agent Cormac, #1) Brass Man (Agent Cormac, #3) The Line Of Polity (Agent Cormac, #2) The Skinner (Spatterjay, #1) Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)