Start by marking “Frogs and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
Frogs and Other Plays

Frogs and Other Plays

Marrying deft social commentary to a rich, earthy comedy, the three comedies collected in Aristophanes' The Frogs and Other Plays offers a unique insight into one of the most turbulent periods in Ancient Greek history. This Penguin Classics edition is translated by David Barrett with revisions, an introduction and notes by Shomit Dutta.

The master of ancient Greek comic dra
Published March 1st 2007 by Penguin Classics (first published -400)

To ask other readers questions about Frogs and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frogs and Other Plays

Daniel Chaikin
59. The Frogs and Other Plays (The Wasps & The Poet and the Women) by Aristophanes, translated by David Barrett
translation 1964
format: 217 page Penguin Classic paperback, 1966 re-print
acquired: 2006, from my neighbor
read: Sep 6-8
rating: 3 stars

The play Frogs is a gem, and includes maybe the earliest literary criticism available, albeit done in humor. The other two plays were more like meh sitcoms, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Greek comedy had a long history and even the tragic playw
Jesse
Jun 24, 2010 Jesse rated it it was amazing
The Frogs is hilarious. The plot is - let's bring Euripides back from the dead! The characters then go to hell and get into arguments with Aeschylus and Sophocles. I love this aspect of comedy, like when Woody Allen brings in Marshall Mcluhan during Annie Hall. Now, comedy, being for the people, is usually very topical, and Aristophanes references a lot of things we are clueless about. However, this Penguin edition is very helpful: where scholars know anything, there are notes. As long as you're ...more
Anita
Dec 19, 2015 Anita rated it really liked it
This collection of plays wasn't my first foray into classical literature, nor classical drama, and made me more appreciative of the Greek plays I read in high school. (Yes, y'all, this is why high school English is important and will forever haunt you). I read this as part of Jean'sBookishThoughts YouTube read-along (one of my firsts). I found the plays entertaining and not as hard to understand as I imagined. My Penguin's Classics edition helpfully had a full notes section which provided backgr ...more
Monique
I wanted to give it 4 so bad because of Wasps and Women at the Thesmophoria but Frogs let it down. Not because it isn't as culturally important as they other - it definitely it! It was because it was a tad more serious than the others and it just felt like instead of playful fun he was just being rude to his tragic predecessors. The other two were ridiculously funny though, I laughed quite a bit and I did enjoy Frogs but I just wasn't laughing as much.

I bought the rest Aristophanes' collection w
Jordan LeMasonry
Apr 16, 2016 Jordan LeMasonry rated it it was amazing
Aristophanes demonstrates clear mastery of the Comedy genre with both Frogs and Women at the Thesmophoria, though I get the impression with both of these plays that he feels a little jaded by all the attention Tragedy receives over Comedy. Nonetheless, his texts are witty and engaging to this day, and present intriguing insight into the political landscape of Ancient Greece.

Frogs has Dionysus, God of revelry and wine, descending into the Underworld with the intention of reviving Euripides becaus
Spencer
Jun 21, 2016 Spencer rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading Aristophanes, so I'm yet to read those of the surviving plays not included in this edition. As such, at the moment I can't really comment on whether this particular edition is better than another by choice of texts. However, I think its worth mentioning that after this, I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of Aristophanes' work, entertaining as they were.

First things first, please drop the common misconception that classic texts- and especially antiquity- w
Andrada
Sep 27, 2016 Andrada rated it liked it
I’ve been avoiding Aristophanes for some time mostly because he liked to ridicule Socrates whom I have a particular soft spot for among the ancient philosophers(or well Socrates as seen through Plato’s eyes). But while recently reading Procopius’ pastiche of Greek and Roman invectives(The Secret History that is), my curiosity was piqued by the many references he included from Aristophanes’ plays. I decided therefore to try reading a couple of them.

I rather enjoyed his work in the end. At times o
Stephanie Black
Apr 05, 2014 Stephanie Black rated it it was amazing
I love these plays. Everyone should read them. Even though they were written so long ago they are still funny. Also they a cleaver like a mixture of Jane Austen wit with Shakespeare thrown in as well.
aegis
Jan 31, 2015 aegis rated it liked it
a fairly entertaining collection of three comedies, though certainly not funny by modern standards, and have all the rank misogyny you might expect from an ancient greek writer (the second, women, is particularly terrible in this respect, i ended up skipping it midway through the 1st act), and as far as the translation goes, heavy use of british english isms such as "sod off" make me wonder just how much of aristophanes i'm really reading. in general, the value of these plays are best characteri ...more
Lishesque
Jan 17, 2016 Lishesque rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-work
Some thoughts:
A) Great introduction - really helped for someone new to Aristophanic comedy.
B) Re: Wasps. Wow this is really explicit for something I'm teaching to 17 year olds.
C) Favourite line: "There you are, you dirty old muff-chaser!"
Derek
May 08, 2016 Derek rated it really liked it
Most certainly my favorite lot of Aristophanes' extant works, of which 'Frogs' is likely my favorite of any of his plays, primarily because it perfectly caps off my reading of the Greek tragedians and thereby ending Old Comedy.
Serina
Mar 18, 2015 Serina rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, college
*3.4
Women at the Thesmophoria > Wasps > Frogs

Women at the Thesmophoria
Amazing, hilarious, and sassy. The end where Euripides' plays were parodied extensively was very well done.

Wasps
Less funny, but still a very silly portrayal of court practices in ancient Athens.

Frogs
My least favorite. If I knew all of Euripides' and Aeschylus' plays, this would have been more endurable. But the Chorus just kept going... On and on and on...

Aristophanes was a great comedic playwright and his double entendr
Claudia
Mar 07, 2016 Claudia rated it really liked it
Wasps: 3 stars. Women at the Thesmophoria: 4 stars. Frogs: 4 stars.
Amy
Jan 09, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Even in the modern era, most of the jokes are still fairly relevant. The cross between the use of slapstick comedy and the more subtler jokes make for an enjoyable read. It is even more relevant when you know who Euripides (and co.) is. The brutal mockery aimed at the famous misogynist opens another door. And... Who knew there were so many cross-dressers in Athens?
Eric
Oct 20, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
Very funny comedy from the early days of comedy. Requires some knowledge of tragedy and the political situation in which it was written, but I found that the notes were generally very helpful. Other passages (like the first half of the Frogs) required very few notes and were hilarious. Worth looking at as a counterpoint to the more well known Greek Tragedians.
Mark Reed
Jul 16, 2016 Mark Reed rated it really liked it
Besides the plays themselves being fun, I really enjoyed the introduction and the footnotes. They inspired me to go online and pick up some Sophocles, Aeschylus, and Euripedes! I realize that those are tragedians, but if you've read Frogs and all its literary criticism of the tragedies, you'll know why my interest in them was piqued.
Mateen Ar
Feb 19, 2015 Mateen Ar rated it it was ok
Aristophanes is a god of a comedy writer and political critic, and he definitely did a great job of Frogs as far as I've read it in the original Greek, but this translation has ct some of the more rude jokes and has not obeyed the rule of faithful translating. I can never recommend such an edition to anyone.
Erin
Jun 29, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Hmm, it seems this play is full of fart jokes and slave beatings, but it still made me laugh aloud.
Kurt
Oct 02, 2012 Kurt rated it really liked it
Classy Greek literature. Oh wait, hang on, it's just full of knob jokes... Excellent read
Tim
Yanniey
Apr 28, 2010 Yanniey rated it liked it
The Frogs. Seminar 2010/04/29
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Alistair Murphy
Alistair Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Ivana
Ivana rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Alistair Murphy
Alistair Murphy marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Ananya Malhotra
Ananya Malhotra marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
LittleBookDruid
LittleBookDruid marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • The Complete Odes and Epodes
  • Early Greek Thinking: The Dawn of Western Philosophy
  • The First Philosophers: The Presocratics and Sophists
  • The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters
  • Sophocles II: Ajax/Women of Trachis/Electra/Philoctetes (Complete Greek Tragedies 4)
  • The Poems
  • Selected Satires
  • Political Speeches
  • Complete Works
  • The "Eclogues" And "Georgics" (Oxford World's Classics)
Aristophanes (Greek: Αριστοφάνης; c. 446 BCE – c. 386 BCE) was a playwright of ancient Athens.

About 11 of his works are known in full, and they are the only plays of the "Old Comedy" style to have survived. They are The Acharnians, The Birds, The Clouds, The Ecclesiazusae, The Frogs, The Knights, Peace, Plutus (wealth), The Thesmophoriazusae, and The Wasps. These plays have been translated into m
More about Aristophanes...

“High thoughts must have high language.” 19 likes
“need a poet who can really write. Nowadays it seems like ‘many are gone, and those that live are bad’.12” 1 likes