Start by marking “Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)

Out of the Wild (Into the Wild #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  675 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Beware the Wild?it bites. Ever since Julie Marchen helped defeat the fairytale world of the Wild, life?s been pretty much back to normal. That is, as normal as life can be for a girl whose mom is Rapunzel. Yes, that Rapunzel.

Then the Wild mysteriously releases Zel?s prince (Julie?s dad!)?a rescue-minded hero who crashes full-speed ahead into the 21st century! (YOU try teac
Published June 19th 2008 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Wild

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
307th out of 1,509 books — 6,697 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Best Releases of 2008
128th out of 233 books — 620 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
Out of the Wild is one of those incredibly rare sequels that is even better than the first book. The green hungry mass of the Wild has returned to hiding in Julie's bedroom, but her community still feels the effects of having once been swallowed by the Wild. When the Wild swallows one of the Three Blind Mice, Julie and her mother are astonished to see that her father is spit out, returned to her mother after 500 years apart. Her father is confused by this new world, but continues to act as a pri ...more
Feb 29, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I have a thing about sequels. Usually. Out of the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst is even better than Into the Wild. I couldn’t believe it at first. I got a little bored in the middle of the first, but each chapter either had me laughing or clutching the pages in anxiety for Julie (and a certain other nameless person!).

Julie and the Wild are back in the action packed sequel to Into the Wild. Gillian, my favorite character, dances with the bear. She seems to have forgotten all of her experiences in the
Jaina
Everyone else seems to think this book was as good as the first; I did not think so. Part of the problem might be that I didn't absolutely adore book 1, but maybe I've been reading too many fairy tale books lately and these just don't grab me as much. They do grab me, and they're a fun read, but this book was a little meh. Some major things were different in book 2, but I felt like a lot of it was just a rehash of book 1 - including major parts. Some interesting aspects of what it might be like ...more
Becky
Durst, Sarah Beth. 2008. Out of the Wild.

Out of the Wild is the sequel to 2007's Into the Wild. Linda, the evil librarian, is back in this second volume. Her evil plan? Not so obvious to our young heroine, Julie, but that could be because she's in a state of shock. Julie has grown up without her dad. Her mom, Rapunzel, couldn't rescue her prince of a husband from the Wild. Julie has always wondered about her fairy tale dad. Wondered what it would be like to have him be a part of her life. She's
Melanie
I thought this one was actually better than the first.

Starting not long after the first book ends, Julie's experience with The Wild has changed how she sees the world and her family. People haven't forgotten what happened before, and now Julie's hometown is none as the Fairy Tale Capital. Unfortunately, not all the fairy tale characters are happy to be mundane, and after Julie's dad pops out of The Wild (after being there for over 500 years), he causes problems simply being himself - he doesn't
Cathie
solid middle school, upper elementary
third person narrative
for fans of fairy tales!

Julie is the daughter of Rapunzel, who managed to defeat the Wild (the entity that creates? manages? the fairy tale world where the stories are enacted over and over again)and rescue most of the other characters, who are now living in a small city in Massachusetts.

The Wild releases Julie's father but rapidly expands over the entire country. Julie must find the way to stop the Wild and save everyone (again).

This se
Cherylann
Sometimes sequels live up to the greatness of book one; sometimes they fall short. There's a risk reading a sequel because you never know what you're going to get. Out of the Wild is a sequel that lived up to the greatness of book one, Into the Wild. The Wild is back, and it's got a score to settle. Julie Marchen and her princely father set out on two different quests: one's quest is to save Sleeping Beauty, and one's is to defeat the wild. At times they work together, and at times they end up c ...more
This book is just a cute for the middle school/high school age group. It is all the fairytale characters in danger due to a unknown enemy who wants to send them back into their stories with a heroine who is a thirteen year old daughter of Rapunzel who just doesn't feel like she fits in anywhere. Only part I dislike was the bad person being my favorite, but really it's just a nice read.
Kellee
Out of the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst is the sequel to Into the Wild. I, personally, enjoyed Out of the Wild as much, if not more, than the first book. It begins with Northsboro recovering from The Wild taking over and Julie's life finally being back to normal; however, that can't last too long. Next thing Julie knows, The Wild eats one of the Three Blind Mice, but instead of growing, spits out her father! But to Julie's surprise, her dad doesn't want to sit around and be a normal family- instead ...more
Lola
This series is just a sitcom of all the fairytales you've ever read combined, and it's utterly delightful, completely ridiculous, and always hilarious. There is really no point to this series. The whole big struggle between the escaped fairytale characters and the Wilds is too quickly resolved, but no one really cares because you get to see what fairytale characters would be like in the real world. It is what I imagine a hallucination of Walt Disney and the Grimm Brothers would be like.

Read j
Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader)
Not quite as good as the first, but this sequel is definitely one that I would reread again. I love the inclusion of the main character's father. We also get to see things get a little more "wild."
Diana
After fighting back the Wild, Julie thinks she and her mother, Rapunzel, are safe from the controlling entity intent on forcing the fairy tale characters to live out their stories over and over. But one Saturday, one of the blind mice falls into the Wild, Julie's dad (and Rapunzel's prince) is freed, and a dastardly plot is afoot.

Julie is an amazingly resourceful teenager--probably better at dealing with crises than I would be. The world of fairy tales actually being a sinister world devoid of f
Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books)
I got this book yesterday and read it in practically one sitting. It was really good. I, personally, don't think it was as good as Into the Wild but that's just because this book was a little more... adventurous. I like character development and, while this book was still the wonderful twisted fairy tale, it really jumped into the plot. I preferred ITW's slow meeting of all the characters. Granted, to anyone who had read ITW, this exposition would not be necessary. And I have read ITW so... what ...more
Jo Oehrlein
This is a sequel to Into the Wild. As you might guess, the Wild escapes again and begins to takeover the world, but not before releasing Rapunzel's Prince.

While the first book I felt was more utopian literature, I felt that this one was an extremely strong book about self-identity. This is most clearly seen in the Prince, who feels obliged to go around rescuing maidens, often at the expense of Rapunzel and his daughter. He feels truly called to be "The Hero".

However, an equally strong point is m
Robin
Nov 15, 2008 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like fairytale retellings
Recommended to Robin by: sequel to Into the Wild which i read as an ARC
This book was just as the fun as the first one! I feel like the cover doesn't do it justice although the brighter colors on this may attract more attention than the darker cover of the first book. When you're mom is Rapunzel, your dad is the prince who rescued her, and your brother is Puss n' Boots, you are not a typical teen with normal problems and Julie needs to fight against The Wild to keep her family safe once again. This time it's a rollicking cross-country journey on an enchanted broomst ...more
Brooke Shirts
A fun romp of a novel that neatly ties up the loose story threads from its predecessor, Into the Wild. While the premise of fairy-tale characters on the loose and wreaking havoc in the modern world seems a little tired (the scene involving Rapunzel's prince in Times Square feels ripped off from Enchanted), Durst gives her plot enough surprising twists and funny details to keep the story compelling. A clever climax redeems fairy tales at the end, giving the requisite sweet and happy ending.
Lauren
Apr 16, 2008 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of fairy tales. Fans of the Sisters Grimm series.
Shelves: middlegrade
This is the sequel to Into the Wild , and it is every bit as fun and imaginative. This time the Wild spits out Julie's father, the prince, for no apparent reason. Before Julie and her mom can figure out why, he is off to rescue Sleeping Beauty who is asleep once again, setting off a chain of fairy tale moments, which feeds the wild. Julie must figure out who is setting these traps for her father and stop them before the Wild demolishes the whole country.
Ann
..even better than "Into the Wild" (Book 1). My granddaughter Lauren lent this to me (and how cool is that?) and told me it was better than the 1st book. She was right. "The Wild" is where Fairy Tale characters live. The main character is Julie, an adolescent whose mother is Rupunsell and brother is Puss-n-Boots (all living in present day Massachuetts)...Rupunsell and Puss-n-Boots escaped from "the Wild". Read the books..they're great!
Miss Clark
This was almost a 4. Very enjoyable. Even better than the first. It gets right into the action and it has good character development, especially with Julie's relationship with her newfound father. I love the ending, how it worked out. Just a really fun read and a great conclusion to Into the Wild. I will definitely recommend it to others and will be looking for more from this new author, hopefully more fairytale-esque offerings.
Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer
The sequel to Into the Wild is not quite as good. What happens when The Wild spits out Julie's dad and he has to try to get along in the real world? How can he go against everything he was made for and try to have a normal life? What is Julie's role in this and how does she accomplish it? Finding the answers to these questions isn't very exciting, but fans of the first book might like to revisit The Wild and all its quirks.
Jessica
Sarah Beth Durst is to clever I just can't stand it! Here's another thrilling trip through fairy tales gone horribly wrong, as Julie's father is spit out of the Wild into a world he doesn't understand-- just as all heck breaks loose! This is really a continuation of Into the Wild, though, revealing precisely who set it loose in the first book, and why, and wrapping it all up very satisfactorily.

Three cheers for Sarah Beth!
Priya
Out of the Wild was, as Tamora Pierce said, even better than Into the Wild. At first I was a little exasperated at the thought of the Wild coming back again (there's only so many times you can pull off the same story plot), but this was nothing like Into the Wild. It was more suspenseful, more exciting, more dramatic, and overall more well written. Very complete sequel to Into the Wild-- I would definitely recommend it.
Danielle
This is actually a great sequel to wrap up Sara Beth Durst's "Into the Wild." This is a great series for young girls (upper elementary and preteens; also for those who are young at heart!).

Durst did a wonderful job of intertwining the originally fairytales into her plot without writing an actual revision of the fairytales (e.g. Beastly). I will gladly read another novel by this up-and-coming author.
Marissa
The end of Into the Wild strongly hinted at a sequel, and here it is: Out of the Wild. The Wild is able to make a second bid for its characters when Linda the librarian attempts to free it yet again. The back story on Linda is revealed, and Julie finally gets to know her dad. This is a rollicking adventure that crosses two worlds: ours and The Wild. Very exciting conclusion!
M.K. Sutherland
A great sequel to Into the Wild. Julie is back, and so is the wild! She has to save the day once again, this time aided by her father, Rapunzel's prince. Even more characters are in this novel, and the fairy tale moments just keep coming. Again, so much fun to read. Very creative.
Cindy
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this one - I think more than the first one, actually; in part because the characters were already familiar, but also because I felt like the plot (though still fun and silly) had slightly more depth to it. Still definitely not the most complex or amazing novel, but a fun fairytale romp. (And again, I loved all the allusions to obscure fairy tales throughout!)
Sheila Ruth
Out of the Wild is another great sequel that does what good sequels should do: it turns the assumptions from the first story upside-down, and provides a new and fresh perspective. This is a fresh and fun sequel that’s every bit as good as the original, maybe better.

Read my entire review.

Cayenne
  • Swan Sister: Fairy Tales Retold
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Tales from the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird
  • The Princess Curse
  • The World Above
  • Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2)
  • Curse of the Thirteenth Fey: The True Tale of Sleeping Beauty
  • Mira, Mirror
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • Waking Rose (A Fairy Tale Retold #3)
  • Thornspell
  • The Secret History of Tom Trueheart (Tom Trueheart, #1)
  • Spinners
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Cinders
  • Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • Ivy's Ever After
Sarah Beth Durst is the author of nine fantasy novels for children, teens, and adults, including Conjured, Vessel, and Ice. Her most recent YA novel, Chasing Power, came out in October 2014 from Bloomsbury, and her most recent book for adults, The Lost, came out in June 2014 from Harlequin/Mira. She was awarded the 2013 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature and has been a finalist for ...more
More about Sarah Beth Durst...
Ice Drink, Slay, Love Vessel Enchanted Ivy Into the Wild (Into the Wild, #1)

“The beanstalk felt like sandpaper".” 2 likes