Start by marking “Shelter Half” as Want to Read:
Shelter Half

Shelter Half

"The real clue to this mystery lies in its title, referring to the half-tent an American infantryman once carried with him to the battlefield, and buttoned to someone else's half for mutual protection: a covert metaphor provisioned with foregiveness and trust."--O, The Oprah Magazine

“Does loving-kindness to friends, family, town, and church cover your complicity in . . .
Published June 1st 2008 by Holy Cow! Press

To ask other readers questions about Shelter Half, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelter Half

Karl Jorgenson
Apr 08, 2015 Karl Jorgenson rated it liked it
So here's the ultimate plot spoiler, or is it? This book has no plot. It has no plot because it's not a novel, it's a collection of short stories. First clue: a third of the chapters have been previously published in isolation. One of the blurbs on the cover praises Bly's 'only work of long fiction'. LIAR! Collecting enough short stories to reach novel length does not create a novel, anymore than Spanky standing on Alfalfa's shoulders inside a tall raincoat makes an adult. I curse the publishing ...more
Jean Carlton
Dec 27, 2015 Jean Carlton rated it did not like it
Called one of her few novels, I expected a novel. Rather, a loosely connected set of stories with a jumble of characters that are not well developed, various issues referred to such as unethical research, dealing with the death of a child, relationships, WWII, shooting bear cubs..... The mystery of a dead body found along the road at the start of the book promises a potential mystery but it just never goes anywhere. The familiarity with northern Minnesota and known locales did not rescue, for ...more
Carolyn
Jan 07, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
A friend gave this book to me and I was not excited to read it. What a mistake that would have been. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, humor and story. The fact that it was set in a small Minnesota town didn't hurt either. Carol Bly knew what she was writing about. Too bad it was her only novel. I must admit I would like to write ( I don't write) a few chapters to add a conclusive ending to some parts but imagination is good too.
Susan Stangebye
Jun 23, 2014 Susan Stangebye rated it liked it
I thought this book was ok, but the story line was a little disappointing. The best part for me is that it was set in Northern Minnesota, and I knew a lot of the references in the book! Overall, it was very interesting with character development and I did enjoy that part of it. The story line never really felt completely tied together, so that is why I rated a little lower.
Nick
May 06, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the author's writing style and the insight she has on her characters. Some story lines never completely resolved...which I would have liked... but just like in real life, sometimes things don't end at a definite point that state "The End". Ultimately, I guess it's nice to be left wondering sometimes... and pondering the possibilities. That is what I am still doing!
Roseanne
Apr 03, 2015 Roseanne rated it did not like it
If this wasn't a selection for my Mystery Book Club and if I wasn't the moderator, I would have given up on this book around page 40. I don't understand why it's shelved as a mystery, because in my opinion this is not a mystery, just many disjointed character studies. There were too many story lines, many of which were never resolved, with characters that were not at all interesting or likable.
Nancy Savonick
Dec 21, 2008 Nancy Savonick rated it liked it
It took me a long time to finish this book because there were so many threads it was hard to get involved in it. Each of the threads was interesting and compelling, but the ending was unsatisfying because none of the threads was fully developed or resolved.

Or maybe I missed the point.
Jolene Beringer
Jun 18, 2009 Jolene Beringer rated it did not like it
Did not have a point. The book told you about a variety of characters, but never came to a conclusion.
Jane
Jan 24, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
I loved this book - the characters she developed are intriguing and, without being preachy, she tells a tale of the dangers of not seeing evil when it appears in your life.
Rebecca
Sep 23, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I loved this book and the many voicings Carol Bly used to bring her characters to life. I was sad to put it down.
Lynne Swadel
Mar 23, 2009 Lynne Swadel rated it liked it
some of the characters were interesting, but I never found a story in this book. I was looking for a story but it seemed to just be multiple character studies. Some good writing however
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Loved the different voices in this book.
Katharine Holden
Aug 16, 2015 Katharine Holden rated it really liked it
Couldn't put it down. Wonderful collection of stories all woven together.
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Sharyl
Sharyl rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2008
DParins Art
DParins Art rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Frances Shuttlewood
Frances Shuttlewood rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2013
Eric Hansen
Eric Hansen rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2010
Vera Berg
Vera Berg rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2010
Nina Fitzgerald
Nina Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2009
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2008
Carrie Lee
Carrie Lee rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2008
Jbsfaculty
Jbsfaculty rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2010
Timothy Bazzett
Timothy Bazzett rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Peggy Barnes
Peggy Barnes rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015