Once Upon a Time in Japan

Once Upon a Time in Japan

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Japan has an ancient oral tradition of folk stories for children that are highly evocative and impart a valuable moral lesson. This is a collection of eight of the stories, accompanied by "manga" illustrations from the television animated version.

This book contains following tales:

Issun Boshi, the Inch-High Samurai
Momotaro, the Peach Boy
Grandfather Cherry Blossom
Tanabata
Ki...more
Published March 10th 1997 by Kodansha International (first published December 20th 1985)

Melissa
3.5★ The book has the following eight classic Japanese 昔話(むかしばなし)(fairy tales): 一寸法師 (Issun Boshi, the Inch-High Samurai), 桃太郎 (Momotaro, the Peach Boy), 花咲か爺さん (Grandfather Cherry Blossom), 七夕さま (Tanabata), 金太郎 (Kintaro), かぐや姫 (The Bamboo-Cutter's Tale), かちかち山 (Click-Clack Mountain), 浦島太郎 (Urashima Taro). I mostly enjoyed each story, though some of them had sad endings (unlike Americanized fairy tales). The story of Tanabata was different from one that I had heard previously, so I'm curious to...more
Reem Tombokti
Of course I didn't understand anything except for a few words from the Japanese part (it is though an achievement that I am able to read Japanese). However, the English translation was quite good for me to enjoy the stories and learn about Japanese folk tales.
Johncady
This is a wonderful children's book filled with Japanese folk tales that translate into any culture. I first read this as a child and loved it, especially the tale of the "inch high Samurai". Each tale has its own message about overcoming adversity, kindness to strangers, and the value of self confidence. I would recommend this book to anyone with children.
Kirei
Recently I have read two other books in this series, and this book has a repeat of stories! So I was not happy about that.

However, it does have some very famous stories, like "Momotaro" and "Urashima Taro."
Snufkin
A good selection and a decent selection, grew up to these stories :-)
Leroy
Leroy added it
Mar 25, 2014
Winda
Winda marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Casey Griffin
Casey Griffin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Hai Nguyen
Hai Nguyen is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2013
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Amjad
Amjad marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Moritz Angermann
Moritz Angermann marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Mahesh Samarasinghe
Mahesh Samarasinghe marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Wahyu Novian
Wahyu Novian marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Jantima_chuchor
Jantima_chuchor marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Drew
Drew marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Anita Kőműves
Anita Kőműves marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Majic Poet
Majic Poet marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Djebbari Abderraouf
Djebbari Abderraouf marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Tommys
Tommys marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
John Janzen
John Janzen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Oliver Ward
Oliver Ward marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Table of Contents 3 2 Jan 10, 2010 08:40AM
Once upon a time in Japan 2 (Kodansha English library) Once upon a time in Japan 1 (Kodansha English library) Once Upon A Time In Ghostly Japan (Kodansha Bilingual Books) (Japanese Edition) Once upon a time in Japan 3 (Kodansha English library) Once Upon a Time in Jolly Japan