Start by marking “The Lure of the Labrador Wild” as Want to Read:
The Lure of the Labrador Wild

The Lure of the Labrador Wild

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In the late spring of 1903 Leonidas Hubbard, an ambitious young writer, Dillon Wallace, a forty-year-old New York attorney, and George Elson, an Indian guide with no firsthand knowledge of their destination, set out on an adventure. Beset by delays, the men paddle past their intended route. When in early September they finally glimpse the vast waters of Michikamau from ato ...more
Published January 1st 1990 by Nimbus Publishing (CN) (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Lure of the Labrador Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lure of the Labrador Wild

Adam Mattison
This was a very well-written and engrossing account of determination and the will to survive in the northern Canadian wilderness. Written in 1905, the adventure is an enjoyable and lighthearted to read in the beginning, and turns gripping right around the middle of the chronicle as the weather slowly turns Wallace, Hubbard, and Elson's expedition into a race against the oncoming snow and impending starvation.

Wallace's writing style is very easy to follow, and he had a keen eye for small details,
John Huth

This is the classic tale of the Hubbard/Wallace/Elson expedition to find Lake Michikamau. Leonidas Hubbard, the leader of the expedition, had an amazingly romantic notion of exploration, and never really came to grips with the realities. He took a turn up the wrong river, and carried on, ultimately starving to death. Dillon Wallace, the author, made it out alive. He co-wrote this with a professional writer. It's an excellent read, and although Wallace seems to canonize Hubbard, if you read it cl
Harry
This is an engrossing diary of an expedition into the interior of Labrador at the turn of the last century. Two Victorian gentlemen who bit off far more than they could chew. While the language is a bit stilted (Victorian ?) the account of their slow starvation as summer turns to winter and the physical challenges of the journey make it a unique and interesting read.

I downloaded this from Project Gutenberg and read on my smartphone.
Heather
Very interesting true adventure -- It's written by one of the adventurers and is full of tragedy, excitement and all the things that make such books good reads. The writing is lacking here and there, but you have to consider when it was written and the fact that the author was new to writing. If you've ever been to Labrador, you'll truly appreciate this story.
Sally Grey
High hopes & poor planning. Good so far.

What a harrowing take of hardship, courage, & camaraderie!
Daniel
Great book! Fascinating tale and very moving. Easy to read considering it was written in 1905 by someone who wasn't a writer. I've been reading archived issues of Outing magazine for additional related stories. Good stuff.
Fishercat
Another totally enthralling account of exploring some place where no one with any sense would want to go - a litany of bad decisions from start to finish, beginning with the decision to go in the first place.
Dv
We had to read this book in school. Everyone complained about it except for me! I thought it was amazing and I recently bought a copy just to have it on my shelf.
☯Bettie☯

Opening: The Jug, as Thomas Angus often remarked, was as snug and handy a place to live as ever a man could wish. Ten miles up the Bay was the trading post of the Hudson’s Bay Company, and at Wolf Bight, twelve miles directly across the Bay from the Jug, the trading post of Trowbridge & Gray, and then only five miles to the eastward, at Break Cove, lived Doctor Joe.

I read this book in 2006 and loved it. A true story of survival and friendship. Containg one of my personal heros, george.
Caroline
Reading this book just made me cold! And squashed all interest in eating boot leather.
Carla
I'd love to do that trip one day. I have read this book several times.
Donna
True story. Very sad, but great book.
Theresa
Wild adventure,courage and tragic.
David Antis
David Antis marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Theresa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Theresa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Long Labrador Trail Left on the Labrador Ungava Bob A Winter's Tale Bobby of the Labrador (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press) The Gaunt Gray Wolf: A Tale of Adventure with Ungava Bob: A Tale of Adventure with Ungava Bob