Start by marking “The Lure of the Labrador Wild” as Want to Read:
The Lure of the Labrador Wild

The Lure of the Labrador Wild

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In the late spring of 1903 Leonidas Hubbard, an ambitious young writer, Dillon Wallace, a forty-year-old New York attorney, and George Elson, an Indian guide with no firsthand knowledge of their destination, set out on an adventure. Beset by delays, the men paddle past their intended route. When in early September they finally glimpse the vast waters of Michikamau from ato ...more
Published January 1st 1990 by Nimbus Publishing (CN) (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Lure of the Labrador Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lure of the Labrador Wild

Feb 01, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in high school, more than 15 years ago. Last year, I decided to take it out as an audio book, and actually, I took it to the cabin during a weekend I spend there with my husband. During the cold evenings when we stayed inside, we laid back on the sofa in front of the fire and listened to the story of Wallace and Hubbard, and their adventure into the isolation of the Labrador Wild. The story is so very interesting, and I enjoyed it even more so, now that I am older. A tragic tale ...more
Adam Mattison
Mar 27, 2011 Adam Mattison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well-written and engrossing account of determination and the will to survive in the northern Canadian wilderness. Written in 1905, the adventure is an enjoyable and lighthearted to read in the beginning, and turns gripping right around the middle of the chronicle as the weather slowly turns Wallace, Hubbard, and Elson's expedition into a race against the oncoming snow and impending starvation.

Wallace's writing style is very easy to follow, and he had a keen eye for small details,
John Huth
Apr 08, 2013 John Huth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the classic tale of the Hubbard/Wallace/Elson expedition to find Lake Michikamau. Leonidas Hubbard, the leader of the expedition, had an amazingly romantic notion of exploration, and never really came to grips with the realities. He took a turn up the wrong river, and carried on, ultimately starving to death. Dillon Wallace, the author, made it out alive. He co-wrote this with a professional writer. It's an excellent read, and although Wallace seems to canonize Hubbard, if you read it cl
Jennifer White
Mar 21, 2016 Jennifer White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking story, and living here makes it more real.
Harry
Jul 25, 2009 Harry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an engrossing diary of an expedition into the interior of Labrador at the turn of the last century. Two Victorian gentlemen who bit off far more than they could chew. While the language is a bit stilted (Victorian ?) the account of their slow starvation as summer turns to winter and the physical challenges of the journey make it a unique and interesting read.

I downloaded this from Project Gutenberg and read on my smartphone.
Heather
Nov 09, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting true adventure -- It's written by one of the adventurers and is full of tragedy, excitement and all the things that make such books good reads. The writing is lacking here and there, but you have to consider when it was written and the fact that the author was new to writing. If you've ever been to Labrador, you'll truly appreciate this story.
Sally Grey
High hopes & poor planning. Good so far.

What a harrowing take of hardship, courage, & camaraderie!
Daniel
Oct 11, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Fascinating tale and very moving. Easy to read considering it was written in 1905 by someone who wasn't a writer. I've been reading archived issues of Outing magazine for additional related stories. Good stuff.
Fishercat
Nov 08, 2008 Fishercat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another totally enthralling account of exploring some place where no one with any sense would want to go - a litany of bad decisions from start to finish, beginning with the decision to go in the first place.
Dv
Jan 25, 2013 Dv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We had to read this book in school. Everyone complained about it except for me! I thought it was amazing and I recently bought a copy just to have it on my shelf.
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Opening: The Jug, as Thomas Angus often remarked, was as snug and handy a place to live as ever a man could wish. Ten miles up the Bay was the trading post of the Hudson’s Bay Company, and at Wolf Bight, twelve miles directly across the Bay from the Jug, the trading post of Trowbridge & Gray, and then only five miles to the eastward, at Break Cove, lived Doctor Joe.

Jul 26, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2006 and loved it. A true story of survival and friendship. Containg one of my personal heros, george.
Caroline
Reading this book just made me cold! And squashed all interest in eating boot leather.
Carla
May 10, 2012 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd love to do that trip one day. I have read this book several times.
Donna
Jun 27, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True story. Very sad, but great book.
Theresa
Apr 14, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wild adventure,courage and tragic.
Hallie
Hallie marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Sonja Ruscica
Sonja Ruscica marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Gm Lauer
Gm Lauer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
J. Wing
J. Wing rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2016
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Birdhound
Birdhound rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Jan Rowe
Jan Rowe rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Jan Krehel
Jan Krehel rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Marc Belanger
Marc Belanger marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Alisia Barringer
Alisia Barringer marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
  • The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake: 1577-1580
  • Open
  • Montreal Stories
  • The Labrador Fiasco
  • South Pole: An Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the 'Fram', 1910-12
  • Charlie Wilcox