Start by marking “Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne? ” as Want to Read:
Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?

Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  18 reviews
“Küçük bir kızı kovası yüzünden aşağılamayı öğrenmiş çocuklar düşün,” diyecek Annem yıllar sonra. “O gün orda onların annelerine babalarına derslerini vermek için nasıl yanıp kavrulduğumu düşün. Gözyaşların göğsümü yaktı. Kalbimin tam üstünde ağladın. Ağlattılar seni, boş yere. Öyle çocuklarla oynamana izin vermedim bir daha. Kalbini kırmalarına izin vermedim Bambim.”
Annem
Published June 2007 by Can Yayınları (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biz Kimden Kaçıyorduk Anne?

Nihan
Üslubu biraz sıkıcı olsa da etkileyici bir hikayeydi.
Mack
I love this book. Hard-edged crime fiction is what you will usually find me reading. Then a book like Escapecomes alongto remind me why I need to widen my interests. Escape has stuck with me long after finished reading it...for the second time.

An unnamed mother and daughter flee from an unspecified threat. For the daughter, living in hotel rooms around the world is the only life she has known. When the mother says danger is near, they escape, heading to the airport, taking only what will fit in
Shirin
The English version of the book isn't online but this is it! Whom Were We Running From, Mother? is from a Turkish author I hadn't heard about until I picked up the book in an airport bookstore, oddly enough. And very different from other Turkish authors I've read (Pamuk, Shafak), Mağden has a minimalist style about her writing. I'm not sure how well her style translates in English but lots of repetition, short, stark sentences, and an air of mystery and timelessness to the narrative pervade the ...more
Chana
Read it straight through, I was fascinated and continually wanted to know what would happen next. I wondered how it would end, and it does end in one manner of speaking, but we are still left to wonder what happens next?? It is creepy, sad, terrifying as mother and daughter flee from hotel to hotel in search of temporary safety and brief normalcy. Twisted version of love. A most unusual book.
Cheryl
I added this book by a Turkish author to my "to read" list as a part of my effort to read more globally this year. I was thrilled to find it was available as an audiobook and I have to say, it just blew me away! "Escape" is a gripping story about an intense (read "pathologic") relationship between a mother and her daughter who seem to be on the run, inhabiting a series of hotel rooms
and interacting with others only minimally. The story is told primarily from the daughter's perspective at various
Amanda
Escape has an intriguing storyline -- a young girl and her mother are on the run from something or someone the daughter doesn't understand, and their presence takes bystanders in as well as repel them. The power of the individual to hide in a crowd, as well as the ability for people to ignore what is clearly happening in front of them. The narration swings from the daughter, to the various people they encounter along the way. Little hints are dropped throughout the book as to the true identity o ...more
Amy
Escape grabs a hold of you right from the beginning and strangle-holds you until the very last page. And you still aren't totally sure what has happened, why it happened, and what's next for the mother and daughter "Moon Unit!!!"

I would recommend this novel to anyone who like a taut, edge-of-your-flippin'-seat, keep-you-guessing-until-the-very-end thriller.
Neset
run bambi ruuuuun. magden's witty and asexuel writing style will grab your hand and take you to the nameless hotels where the futureless characters(with no past) mostly pass their enjoyable time. a very cruel story that is based on magden's obssesive subject, a rocky mother-daughter relationship.
Brett Axel
I usually take weeks, even months to finish a book. This one I devoured in a day and a half. I literally couldn't put it down.

Its a simple story of a mother raising her daughter "on the run" in Oceanside hotels. The girl is sheltered from influences other than her deranged mother.

Juli Ocean
This was one of the most unexpected and strange books I've read in a while. I thought it was interesting the way they wrote from the mother then people who had seen the mother and daughter together. Fascinating perspective. I really enjoyed the strangeness of it.
S
So far this book is great with the perfect amount of creepiness for Halloween.

English Title: Whom Were We Running From?

Somehow this did not come up in Goodreads, but the Turkish title did... weird.
Colleen Lahey
This book is great at building tension. At the end, however, it just dies. Literally. And you never even find out the backstory.....what was the point??????
Ros
Dec 01, 2012 Ros added it
Read in English. It is a fascinating book and I am not sure what to make of it - especially as I know the author!
Monica
I listened to this on audiobook and I have to say that the reading was outstanding.
Iris
Verstörend und rätselhaft.
Esin
bayildim...
Jessdlt
Jessdlt marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • Adı: Aylin
  • Tuhaf Bir Kadın
  • Asılacak Kadın
  • Tatlı Betüş
Perihan Mağden is a Turkish novel writer and columnist in newspapers, especially known for her wit and diverse use of language.

Mağden was born in 1960 in Istanbul. After graduating from Robert College of Istanbul, she studied psychology at Boğaziçi University. By her own account, she was an unruly student—and her mother was proud of it.
One of the most famous writers in young Turkish literature, P
More about Perihan Mağden...
İki Genç Kızın Romanı Ali ile Ramazan The Messenger Boy Murders Refakatçi Yıldız Yaralanması