Skyward

Skyward

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  815 ratings  ·  91 reviews
E.R. nurse Ella Majors has seen all the misery that she can handle. Burned-out and unsure of her next step, she accepts the temporary position as caregiver to Marion Henderson, a frightened five-year-old who suffers from juvenile diabetes. But Ella soon realizes there is more sorrow in the isolated home than the little girl’s illness can account for. Harris Henderson, a si...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Mira (first published July 1st 2003)

Nelly
I'm sorry, Mary Alive Monroe, but were you trying to rewrite Jane Eyre? Because you didn't do a very good job. Honestly, the predictability of this book was ridiculous and 50 pages in I said, "Oh, she's trying to re-do Jane Eyre and is failing."

SPOILERS AHEAD

There is everything from the female protagonist coming to nanny for the male protagonist's 5 year old daughter, to them falling in love, to the lead male being married to a woman who's unavailable to him, to a fire caused by the wife, to b...more
Christina
I simply could not put Skyward down. The story moves along at just the right pace, all the while sneaking in tidbits of information about birds-of-prey that make you realize how truly amazing and majestic these birds are.

This romance novel manages to stray away from the soap opera-y tale it could have told solely because the three main characters, Ella, Harris, and Marion, are so believable. However, the return of the mother made me quiet angry, especially at Harris, because I believe his action...more
bookczuk
To me the magic of this book was not the story, as much as it was the birds and the South Carolina lowcountry. The story was, despite my history as a pediatric nurse, incidental. Btu reading of the raptors, now that was something!

I do admire Mary Alice Monroe's ability to capture our area and focus in on a habitat or a species or environment. She did it with Beach House and the turtles, too. And her characters seem very, very real to me. Not always clever or perfect or beautiful, but then again,...more
Kay
Predictable, but enjoyable reading. Loved learning about various predators in the intro to each chapter.
Antof9
This was a very good book, but in all honesty not quite as good as The Beach House. It was just a bit too predictable. But I still enjoyed it. I loved Ella, and Marion, and the volunteers at the clinic. . . all good.

This is only the second Mary Alice Monroe book I've read, but I wonder if she isn't trying too hard to put "everything" into her books. This book had Brady, a young punk who turns his life around. The Beach House had a young pregnant girl. This one has, of course, the birds of prey a...more
Colleen
This book had several positive attributes. It was meant to be a light, romantic type of read and as such, it succeeded. It was set in South Carolina and the author conveyed a genuine feel for the area. The story revolved around characters who worked at a bird sanctuary and the author obviously did her homework on raptors. OK, that was the good stuff.

The not-so-good: well, the bird information was thorough and informative, but if you're not at all interested in birds, I think you're going to find...more
Deborah
Skyward, by Mary Alice Monroe, is a story that will stay with me for a long time to come. I keep thinking about all that I learned about Raptors, while reading the plot of the book. Because it takes place at a raptor rehabilitation center, the reader naturally learns a lot about raptors (falcons, eagles, owls, osprey, and vultures, to name a few) as they follow the lives of the characters. It follows the life of Ella, a former nurse who has decided to move on after one too many deaths in a pedia...more
Staci
First thoughts after finishing this book: I want to work in a birds of prey sanctuary!

What I liked about the book:

The birds of prey aspect...about eight years ago I was on this big kick of becoming a falconer and training a Peregrine Falcon. I read up on the birds and all that went with training one. It is very extensive and not just a passing hobby. My husband talked me out of it due to our lifestyle and if you want to go on vacation there's no way you can with a falcon depending on you for hu...more
Susan
This book was a nice surprise - much more interesting than the cover blurb made it sound. I'd give it 4.5 stars. While the story centered around human characters and their somewhat predictable relationships, the real "stars" of the book in my mind were the birds of prey that are described at the beginning of each chapter, and whose stories run through the narrative as they are rehabilitated from near death or abandonment, then set free. I loved the way the character-driven stories were seamlessl...more
Jodi
Apr 06, 2014 Jodi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Women
Enjoyed this book - I was drawn into all the characters and kept reading to find out what would happen next. Absolutely HATED Fannie - what a horrible mother and I am so glad once she was out of the picture again! Also found the fact about how the turkey vultures cleaned up the battle fields at Gettysburg and now return there year after year. Gruesome but interesting fact!
Dale Harcombe
I enjoyed this book and was interested to read it after reading The Butterfly's Daughter and also The Beach House.The story involves nurse Ella who burnt out,takes on a job looking after a five year old child with juvenile diabetes and the interaction between her and Harris, the child's father and other members of the buird sanctuary. I liked the information about the birds added in but really it was the characters and the situation that kept me reading and wanting to read straight through. My o...more
Luisa
Nov 29, 2010 Luisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I read this book while visiting Tortuguero over Thanksgiving break. It was an entertaining, fast-moving book that I enjoyed reading. There were some interesting parallels between the book and my trip: the Gullah culture and the culture of the people living along the isolated section of Caribbean coast where I was seem to have some similarities; there was a huge downpour in Tortuguero that changed the course of my trip, and there was a rainstorm in the book that changed the course of the relation...more
Kathleen
Really enjoyed this book. An easy read that offered information on Raptors along with a good story. Somewhat predictable but it managed to hold my interest.
Glenda Harris
One of my favorites. Love story with backdrop of the Center for Birds of Prey near Charleston, SC.
Claudia
Predictable, but very enjoyable. I liked reading about the raptors.
Hilary
A gentle tale, that circle and eddy like the slow current of a river, sweeping birds and children and adults together as they all learn from one another and grow.

If you like slow-moving stories of discovery, character and nature, this is the book for you. (If you're looking for something with a distinct plotline or something that's exciting, try something else and come back when you're in a more reflective mood.) Ideal for reading outside in the sun with a breeze rustling leaves nearby.
Loved it! When a burned-out ER nurse steps up to care for a five-year-old who was recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes she finds more than she bargained for. Set among the beauty of the South Carolina coast, Ella reaches out to this single father and his daughter to find the bonds that will tie this family together. In this book, the author teaches us about the wild beauty of the birds-of-prey sanctuary and just how far one must sometimes go to rehabilitate the soul.
Allison
I picked this book up on a whim during a trip to Barnes and Noble. I was looking for a good book to take the to beach and Skyward did not disappoint. I loved the characters and the overall story. I also enjoyed the short blurbs about birds of prey that just seemed to fit which each chapter. Needless to say, I will definitely be picking up another Mary Alice Monroe novel.
Cindy
The fifth book I've read by this author. I really enjoy her writing. Not great stuff, but i care about the characters. This one involves a love story between a burned out pediatric ER nurse and a father of a 6 year old diabetic. He runs a bird of prey rescue center in south Carolina, so you learn a bit about raptors. A wonderful character named Lyah is an old visdom dispensing griot of the Gullah/Geechee people of the S. Carolina Islands.
Heather
The bird rescue element was good and I liked the subplot of the at-risk teenager. The best part was probably the character of the old man taking care of "his" bird, but the attempt at a romance plot was pretty bad-very predictable and formulaic.
Kathleen
I am in the middle of reading all of this author's books so be prepared. I like the South Carolina settings of her books, the naturalist themes and the range of characters in her books. A bit of the character's behaviors were too pat in the end, but nevertheless, the connections between humans and the environment made the book a good read.
Jeanne
I liked it but didn't love it.
This book was to wrapped up in the birds. I wanted to slap the main male character throughout the book. I personally think the book would have been a lot better if the author would have spent more time on the relationship between the people in the books instead of the relationship between the birds and the people.
Kristi
Harris helps injured birds along the South Carolina coast at a rehabilitation center and to help him take care of his diabetic son, he enlists the aid of nurse and nanny, Ella. Through their time together, romance develops. Human relationships are juxtaposed with birds, to create a riveting story.

Florence Primrose
I loved this book by Mary Alice Moore. Set in South Carolina at a rehab raptor center, nurse Ella Majors comes to care for a 5-year-old newly diagnosed diabetic girl. She learns to love life again, and helps others develop trust. I hated to put this book down. Plus--great information on raptors!
Amanda
Feb 11, 2012 Amanda added it
This was not exactly what I thought I was getting when I started to read it. It is quite full of interesting tidbits about birds of prey, but I almost feel that it overpowered the romance plot. It was sweet and funny and sad, and I enjoyed it, but it's not something I would read again.
Pam
Aug 14, 2008 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Holly, Lynette, Sharon, Phyllis, Diane C
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I learned many things about raptors that I did not know before. Monroe adds tidbits of information about the main subject of the book at the beginning of every chapter in her books. I would highly recommend her books - good reads & learning as well!
Rosalie
I learn so much from reading Mary Alice Monroe's books. This one deals with a raptor habitat and hospital in South Carolina. From now on I will look at vultures with a new appreciation. Monroe's books combine a social issue with a little bit of romance to go with.
Louise Walsh
Excellent book. I would recommend this book to my reading friends. Boy gets in trouble but learns to believe in himself when others show him that they do and a man and his daughter who learn to love another and a man who sees everything as it really is.
Brandy
It took me 2 days o get past the first couple of pages. The bird stuff and wildlife was interesting but a little much at times. The story was pretty predictable with a few twists thrown in like Fanny coming back and the fire. It was a good book though.
  • When Light Breaks
  • Shem Creek (Lowcountry Tales #4)
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Home Fires
  • Tilly Trotter
  • An Accidental Woman
  • Legacy of Silence
  • When Lightning Strikes
New York Times bestselling author Mary Alice Monroe found her true calling in environmental fiction when she moved to coastal South Carolina. Already a successful author, she was captivated by the beauty and fragility of her new home. Her experiences living in the midst of a habitat that was quickly changing gave her a strong and important focus for her books.

Mary Alice Monroe writes richly textur...more
More about Mary Alice Monroe...
The Beach House Sweetgrass Swimming Lessons Time Is a River The Butterfly's Daughter