Start by marking “A Mind Awake: An Anthology of C. S. Lewis” as Want to Read:
A Mind Awake: An Anthology of C. S. Lewis

A Mind Awake: An Anthology of C. S. Lewis

“He believed that such problems had at least essential answers and set out like a hound on the scent of a fox to find them. He liked answers better than questions.” – from the Preface

C.S. Lewis believed in the absolute logic of faith; his books, letters, and essays demonstrated the immutability of religion in his life. This collection mines their pages to bring out some of
Published March 31st 2003 by Mariner Books (first published December 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Mind Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mind Awake

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisA Grief Observed by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisMiracles by C.S. LewisPrince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
Chronological Reading of C.S. Lewis
51st out of 67 books — 10 voters
Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Abolition of Man by C.S. LewisPerelandra by C.S. Lewis
Best of C.S. Lewis
85th out of 100 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Yari
Aug 16, 2016 Yari rated it it was amazing
An excellent compilation of his sayings and thoughts arranged by topic. I enjoyed filling my journal full of his ideas and beautiful lines. "...our whole destiny seems to lie... in being as little as possible ourselves, in acquiring a fragrance that is not our own but borrowed, in becoming clean mirrors filled with the image of a face that is not ours..." Highly recommend that it be read slowly over time. A rich read.
RE de Leon
Jan 03, 2011 RE de Leon rated it it was amazing
If you're into the quotable CS Lewis, this piece is for you. Fell in love with this collection when I first saw a copy at the University of the Philippines Main Library way back in 2004. More detailed review later.
Scott
Jan 20, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
A collection of Lewis' most famous quotations ranging from all of his works systematized for easy reading. If you want to catch a glimpse of the brilliance of Lewis but have a hard time getting through books like The Abolition of Man or Miracles, you should read this. Also, after each quotation, the author lists what book and which chapter you can go to read more. This is a great resource.

"In science we have only been reading the notes to a poem; in Christianity we have the poem itself."
Troy
Mar 29, 2016 Troy rated it really liked it
If you have never really read CS Lewis you need this book!
John
Jan 30, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books.
I bought it when I was a college student and just getting to know the writings of C.S. Lewis, and this was a great introduction. It's still a great reminder. Divided into categories such as "The Nature of Man," "The Moral World" and "The Christian Commitment," this book of course includes many treasured excerpts from C.S. Lewis books that are familiar to me now. But it also includes references that aren't likely to be on the Lewis reader's shelf, such as letters
Denny
Feb 06, 2014 Denny rated it really liked it
What a great collection of quotes and thoughts of C.S. Lewis over the span of his writing on morality, christian life, the nature of man, the Trinity, and sin along with others.
Michael
May 15, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is essentially a C. S. Lewis quote book. "A Mind Awake" is an appropriate title, as I got the impression while reading it that Lewis's mind is awake while mine has been asleep my whole life. And while I was welcoming his thoughts into my own mind, I felt it awakening as well. Lewis thinks and writes with such clarity and discernment that it is hard to see how anyone could ever disagree with him. I will surely return to this volume many times in the years to come.
Katie Herring
Oct 06, 2014 Katie Herring rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This anthology of CS Lewis quotes was absolutely amazing. I want to read all of the novels and essays that were quoted!
Mar 26, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Keep reading it over and over. There's lots here. Enough to explore for a lifetime. I think Lewis's best work is like that. He focuses on the broad concerns of Christendom. Thankfully, not ever getting caught out pointing at any particular person, and refreshing of refreshing he only ever really seems to talk about sins he's acquainted with.
Patrick
Apr 03, 2011 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Too scattershot for my taste (as is often the case with anthologies), but full of thoughtful nuggets, and my tattered copy of the book is replete with margin notes and yellow highlighting. Those things are unusual for me; they bear witness to this volume's honorable service as a touchstone for a faith-sharing group of which I was part for several years.
Geoff
Nov 01, 2012 Geoff rated it it was ok
A good exploration of Lewis' works if you are unfamiliar with the diversity of his subjects. I didn't know which of his books to read next, so I read this to inform that decision. Though this anthology was basically just a quote mine, and left me wanting more, that was exactly the litmus test that I approached it with.
Robert
Oct 05, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
This is a series of brief quotes from Lewis' works. I put it in my pocket and read it daily while walking to work over about a month. It provides lots of tasty bits of things to tantalize the mind at the beginning of a day. Worth reading! (It helps to be familiar with Lewis)
Karen Ball
Oct 15, 2013 Karen Ball rated it it was amazing
I picked up the Kindle version when several of Lewis' works were reduced price. It was good for browsing through in small chunks of time, and I find myself referring back to my copious highlights during my devotional and study time months later.
Tom
Mar 03, 2012 Tom added it
Great compilation of wise sayings, pithy quotes and true wisdom from Lewis. I enjoyed reading them and it has probably done its job because it made me want to go back and read each of the sources once again, or in a few cases, a first time.
Heidi
Jan 21, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it
This is a quote book, organized by topic. I didn't read every word, but the scope was impressive for this slim volume. It's not great for reading cover to cover, but I'm tempted to buy the book for the "divine longing" section alone.
Patricia
Dec 31, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
There are some great quotes and excerpts here from his more and less famous works. It is a good book to leave sitting out for occasional reading, but lacks Lewis's irresistible story lines that pull you further into his fiction.
Dave Beebe
Aug 08, 2011 Dave Beebe rated it really liked it
Snippets and quotations taken from the catalog of C.S. Lewis. Insightful and often humorous, regardless of whatever belief system you subscribe to, its easy to learn something from Clive Staples.
Mark
Mar 21, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
A really nice collection of Lewis quotes organized by broad topics. "A Quotable Lewis" is more extensive & better indexed but seems to have bigger theological gaps than this simple paperback.
Ti-Leigh Telford
I didn't finish this. There is something about Lewis' style that I just don't follow easily. Perhaps because it's an anthology. Visual bookshelf should have a choice: didn't finish.
Tela
Aug 02, 2008 Tela rated it really liked it
Read in Spring 2005 and it's a book I keep going back for inspiration, wisdom, and for a challenge to wrestle, discover, and simply to think of higher things.
Megan
Oct 06, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
I love Lewis. He always makes me think. This was just an easier way to handle his awesomeness and let it sink in by how it was set up.
Karen
Oct 07, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Ben
May 02, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, nonfiction
The best part of this anthology was how it reminded me of what a great book Mere Christianity is.
Melanie
Jan 09, 2008 Melanie rated it liked it
A good and readable introduction to a broad selection of Lewis' writing and thought.
Eric
Jul 21, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing
Great resource to have on the shelf!
Jul 31, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I really like C.S. Lewis.
Jenny Burridge
Feb 09, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Great.
Z V
Z V marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Oteng Livingstone
Oteng Livingstone marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
  • God in the White House: A History: How Faith Shaped the Presidency from John F. Kennedy to George W. Bush
  • Wired:  For a Life of Worship
  • Toxic Faith: Experiencing Healing Over Painful Spiritual Abuse
  • Introduction to Aristotle
  • Between Heaven & Hell
  • Gold Cord
  • If I Had Lunch with C.S. Lewis: Exploring the Ideas of C.S. Lewis on the Meaning of Life
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

“I must say my prayers today whether I feel devout or not; but that is only as I must learn my grammar if I am ever to read the poets.” 6 likes
“I know now, Lord, why you utter no answer. You are yourself the answer. Before your face questions die away. What other answer would suffice? Only words, words; to be led out to battle against other words.” 0 likes