A Mind Awake: An Anthology of C. S. Lewis

A Mind Awake: An Anthology of C. S. Lewis

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  24 reviews
“He believed that such problems had at least essential answers and set out like a hound on the scent of a fox to find them. He liked answers better than questions.” – from the Preface

C.S. Lewis believed in the absolute logic of faith; his books, letters, and essays demonstrated the immutability of religion in his life. This collection mines their pages to bring out some of...more
Published March 31st 2003 by Mariner Books (first published December 1968)

RE de Leon
If you're into the quotable CS Lewis, this piece is for you. Fell in love with this collection when I first saw a copy at the University of the Philippines Main Library way back in 2004. More detailed review later.
Scott
A collection of Lewis' most famous quotations ranging from all of his works systematized for easy reading. If you want to catch a glimpse of the brilliance of Lewis but have a hard time getting through books like The Abolition of Man or Miracles, you should read this. Also, after each quotation, the author lists what book and which chapter you can go to read more. This is a great resource.

"In science we have only been reading the notes to a poem; in Christianity we have the poem itself."
John
This is one of my favorite books.
I bought it when I was a college student and just getting to know the writings of C.S. Lewis, and this was a great introduction. It's still a great reminder. Divided into categories such as "The Nature of Man," "The Moral World" and "The Christian Commitment," this book of course includes many treasured excerpts from C.S. Lewis books that are familiar to me now. But it also includes references that aren't likely to be on the Lewis reader's shelf, such as letters...more
Denny
What a great collection of quotes and thoughts of C.S. Lewis over the span of his writing on morality, christian life, the nature of man, the Trinity, and sin along with others.
Michael
This is essentially a C. S. Lewis quote book. "A Mind Awake" is an appropriate title, as I got the impression while reading it that Lewis's mind is awake while mine has been asleep my whole life. And while I was welcoming his thoughts into my own mind, I felt it awakening as well. Lewis thinks and writes with such clarity and discernment that it is hard to see how anyone could ever disagree with him. I will surely return to this volume many times in the years to come.
Keep reading it over and over. There's lots here. Enough to explore for a lifetime. I think Lewis's best work is like that. He focuses on the broad concerns of Christendom. Thankfully, not ever getting caught out pointing at any particular person, and refreshing of refreshing he only ever really seems to talk about sins he's acquainted with.
Patrick
Too scattershot for my taste (as is often the case with anthologies), but full of thoughtful nuggets, and my tattered copy of the book is replete with margin notes and yellow highlighting. Those things are unusual for me; they bear witness to this volume's honorable service as a touchstone for a faith-sharing group of which I was part for several years.
Geoff
A good exploration of Lewis' works if you are unfamiliar with the diversity of his subjects. I didn't know which of his books to read next, so I read this to inform that decision. Though this anthology was basically just a quote mine, and left me wanting more, that was exactly the litmus test that I approached it with.
Robert
This is a series of brief quotes from Lewis' works. I put it in my pocket and read it daily while walking to work over about a month. It provides lots of tasty bits of things to tantalize the mind at the beginning of a day. Worth reading! (It helps to be familiar with Lewis)
Karen Ball
I picked up the Kindle version when several of Lewis' works were reduced price. It was good for browsing through in small chunks of time, and I find myself referring back to my copious highlights during my devotional and study time months later.
Tom
Mar 03, 2012 Tom added it
Great compilation of wise sayings, pithy quotes and true wisdom from Lewis. I enjoyed reading them and it has probably done its job because it made me want to go back and read each of the sources once again, or in a few cases, a first time.
Heidi
This is a quote book, organized by topic. I didn't read every word, but the scope was impressive for this slim volume. It's not great for reading cover to cover, but I'm tempted to buy the book for the "divine longing" section alone.
Patricia
There are some great quotes and excerpts here from his more and less famous works. It is a good book to leave sitting out for occasional reading, but lacks Lewis's irresistible story lines that pull you further into his fiction.
Dave Beebe
Snippets and quotations taken from the catalog of C.S. Lewis. Insightful and often humorous, regardless of whatever belief system you subscribe to, its easy to learn something from Clive Staples.
Mark
A really nice collection of Lewis quotes organized by broad topics. "A Quotable Lewis" is more extensive & better indexed but seems to have bigger theological gaps than this simple paperback.
Ti-Leigh Telford
I didn't finish this. There is something about Lewis' style that I just don't follow easily. Perhaps because it's an anthology. Visual bookshelf should have a choice: didn't finish.
Tela
Read in Spring 2005 and it's a book I keep going back for inspiration, wisdom, and for a challenge to wrestle, discover, and simply to think of higher things.
Megan
I love Lewis. He always makes me think. This was just an easier way to handle his awesomeness and let it sink in by how it was set up.
Ben
The best part of this anthology was how it reminded me of what a great book Mere Christianity is.
Melanie
A good and readable introduction to a broad selection of Lewis' writing and thought.
Eric
Great resource to have on the shelf!
I really like C.S. Lewis.
Carolyn Gardner
Carolyn Gardner marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Ldmaxwell
Ldmaxwell marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Christy Robeson
Christy Robeson marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
  • Between Heaven & Hell
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • Found: God's Will
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
  • The Marriage Builder
  • Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest
  • Created in God's Image
  • The Millennials: Connecting to America's Largest Generation
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

“I must say my prayers today whether I feel devout or not; but that is only as I must learn my grammar if I am ever to read the poets.” 6 likes
“A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere—'Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,' as Herbert says, 'fine nets and stratagems.' God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous. Surprised by Joy,” 0 likes