Posh

Posh

2.85 of 5 stars 2.85  ·  rating details  ·  608 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Inside Manhattan’s private school world of fast-paced over-the-top entitlement and superficial gloss lurk many secrets—the secrets of emotionally charged teenage and adult lives. In this eloquent novel set during one class’s senior year at the Griffin School, among the queen bees and the wannabes, Michael Avery and Julianne Coopersmith begin a relationship. Their backgroun...more
Published December 10th 2007 by Griffin (first published January 9th 2007)

M
What, exactly, was the point of this book?
Lucy Jackson, a pseudonym (understandably) takes on the overused and much abused world of the Upper East Side to toss around all the cliched stereotypes she can get her hands on. The story, if you can call it that, centers around some students in a prep school, their neglectful and band name happy parents and a headmistress.
First, if you have clearly never met a teenager, don't try to write about one. Jackson drops as many buzz words as she can, all the...more
Lanetta
The whole story kept my full attention! I imagined Posh as some sort of true story. It's sad to say that some prestigious private schools/universities are not what they seem. As in to say, people view prep schools as being guaranteed an easy acceptance to the top univerisities in the nation. When, honestly, not everyone gets into Yale, Harvard or Princeton. Also, the relationship between Julianne and Michael was somewhat speechless. My favorite character in the story was Julianne's mother, Dee....more
stephanie
i think the reason this book suffered (and i found it on the discount-discount pile) was because it's kind of hard to describe. you automatically think from the book jacket, the blurbs, even the title, that this is another chicklit book about life on the UES - this time in prep school setting.

however, it's much darker and deeper than that. it's written extremely well, and from multiple character perspectives, in little vingettes that last no more than five pages (most ring in at three). but it...more
Maile
This book was fine, but I expected something different. The plot moved a bit too quickly for my liking, and I could have done without the Headmistress subplot. The other characters were connected through their relationships with one another, but the Headmistress ("Lazy") was really only connected to the school. Her plot had interesting moments, but I was far more interested in the other characters. Unfortunately for me, Lazy seemed to be the author's favorite, as her story closed the book.

There...more
Lindsay Heller
I liked this book much more than I thought I would given some of the reviews I read. But, I bought it from the dollar bin at Half Priced Books and figured it sort of went with my private school streak I appear to be on lately. 'Posh', a terrible title if you ask me, covers the well traversed ground of the Upper East Side of Manhattan and the privileged, Ivy bound (whether they deserve it or not), students of the Griffin School. And just for a kick in the pants author Lucy Jackson has thrown in t...more
Rebecca
Shea
I finished this book and thought to myself, what was it even about? I feel like it focused on a bunch of characters and nothing really happened or changed with most of them except maybe Morgan and Lazy (which, what kind of name is Lazy?).
I thought it was strange how the book begins with a chapter about Elizabeth, Morgan's mother. But then the story really isn't about Morgan or her mother, it's mostly about the relationship between Michael and Julianne and Lazy and Doug/Richard. And, why does Ja...more
Ayah Awadallah
Taking this book off of the bookshelf, I didn't know at all what to expect. I have never heard of this book, nor anyone who read it, but I thought I'd give it a try. Sadly, I was disappointed, and by the end didn't like the book at all.
For one, while the beginning of the novel may have drawn me in, by the end, I felt that it served no real purpose or importance, and didn't understand why the author started the novel the way she did.
Secondly, since the novel was broken up chapter after chapter...more
Julie
Jul 24, 2007 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes reading about where the super-rich send their kids to school.
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It's a really good fast, summer read about some of the people involved with the exclusive high school where New York's ultra rich and elite send their kids. The book is told in alternating point-of-views of the school's headmistress, "Lazy", students Morgan, Michael and Julianne, Michael's mom, and Julianne's mom.

I liked the book, because the characters were complex and I was drawn into their lives early on in the book; however, the book was too short to...more
Phelicia
Apr 03, 2014 Phelicia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the private school world of Manhattan's Upper East Side, POSH tracks the lives of a group of teenagers and the adults who hope to control them: from the school's headmistress to the social x-ray mom to the mom who drives a cab, this is commercial fiction that shows a cutaway of a rarefied world.
Sandra
Reading this book was like eating Hershey bar. It doesn't taste amazing but it's good enough and satisfies a craving. Posh is a fluffy YA read that feels voyeuristic rather than having a true plot. Multiple characters intertwine but each runs parallel to the others. It was great for an airplane ride!
Kricket
decent satire of privileged new yorkers, although i feel like i didn't quite grasp what i was supposed to be getting out of it. there were clever moments of scathing humor...the mother who sews a full wardrobe for her dog but ignores her suicidal son; the headmistress afraid to punish a plagiarizing student because he's from saudi arabia and she's afraid his father is a terrorist...

but at the end i just wasn't sure what the point was.

supposedly lucy jackson is the pseudonym of a famous novelist...more
Bev
I totally agree with reviewer Kate, who had this to say about the book:

"The jacket of this book is obviously very similar to the jacket of Prep. However, I think this similarity does this book a disservice. "Prep" focused on one character who didn't seem to develop much over the course of the book--the conceit of the novel really hinged more on the idea of a "behind-the-scenes" look at student life at an elite boarding school than anything else. "Posh" follows several characters, all of whom are...more
Alison
I never really connected with the characters in the novel. Overall I didn't find enough in terms of plot or character to make this a compelling read for me.
Roxy
It took almost 3/4s of the book to go by before I became really disappointed. This was a story of 4 different characters. Each chapter was a bout a different character as their lives paralleled over a course of a school year (I think). Silly me I thought at the end their lives would all intertwine. Their lives crossed path, a common incident, but the characters didn't come together as I had come to anticipate. Once I started to suspect this I lost interested about 25 pages before the end. Sad, I...more
Kim
Liked the book. Early on however, I wondered if I would stick with it, as it moves in fairly short chapters between the "goings on" in the lives of 5-6 different people. Each chapter with the different characters' titles. All lives are intertwined, and I'm so glad I stuck it out. The finish was great! I think my main issue going is was it seemed somehwhat easy to put down because of the individual, short chapters. Now I think, based on the structure, it's one of those great reads when you don't...more
Ronya Misleh
Reminded me a lot--as I expected it to--of Curtis Sittenfeld. Thanks to the Thanksgiving holiday, had some extra reading time on my hands and finished this in a day. Story evolved in a nice, well-paced fashion with a few almost unexpected surprises. A good--though not great, if you're intimately involved in it, I'm sure--look into the world of NYC private schools. The kids were way less annoying than those on NYC Prep, though. Good character development and relevant storylines. If you are in the...more
Jeanne
A posh (obviously) prep school on Manhattan's Upper East Side sets the stage for various dramas in this slim volume.

Main characters include:

Morgan, a senior whose mother just died

Julianne, Morgan's best friend and charity case

Dee, Julianne's mom who was a great novelist and now drives a cab

Kathryn "Lazy" Hoffman, headmistress and adulteress

Michael, Julianne's psychotic boyfriend

This was a quick, fun read. The characters are fairly well-developed and interesting. And the cover on this book is to...more
Lydia
Sort of funny, sort of depressing, I liked it.. You can't buy happiness.
Danielle
I finished this book in a few days and looked back on it, wondering what I'd read and why I'd read it. It tells no worthy story, has no redeeming qualities, and ends up going nowhere. The main characters all lead the kind of privileged, horrible life that I don't want to accept actually existing somewhere. Awful. The author, Lucy Jackson, is a pseudonym, and nobody, even her editor, seems to know who the real author is. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be Curtis Sittenfeld, who wrote t...more
Kate
The jacket of this book is obviously very similar to the jacket of "Prep." However, I think this similarity does this book a disservice. "Prep" focused on one character who didn't seem to develop much over the course of the book--the conceit of the novel really hinged more on the idea of a "behind-the-scenes" look at student life at an elite boarding school than anything else. "Posh" follows several characters, all of whom are 3-dimensional and interesting in their own right. It's a fast read an...more
Meaghan
interesting... not at all what i thought it was going to be about... narrated from several perspectives so it was confusing at times to read.
Kristina Jo
I had a whole thing written about how I'm underwhelmed by this novel, and then I went to go find a word I wanted to use and couldn't quite remember and everything I said disappeared. Stupid internet.

So suffice it to say that I was underwhelmed when I finished this book, that I find Jackson's style of third-person narrative distancing, which I have a hard time appreciating, and that I didn't really like any of these characters, which also make it difficult for me to truly appreciate a book.
Suzi
Beautifully written by an author who rips to the heart of life in the world of NYC's private high schools with a kindness not found in and a rare sensitivity to the emotional lives of her characters. The issues feel real and the dialog never hits a false note. Jackson's portrayal of the beauty of unusual friendships and the bonds between women and those who touch their lives makes this a must read for anyone who has ever had a friend, a daughter or "an inappropriate" romance.
This is what I ended up with the last time I passed by the bargain table at Barnes and Noble. Addictive as your kid's left-over Halloween candy, you can polish this one off in one sitting (while you are raiding those Halloween bags)--neither the candy nor the book are particularly good, but both are mildly pleasurable. I was sort of intrigued by the fact that the author, supposedly a critically acclaimed short story writer, published this under a pseudonym.
JC
It was all a bit meh, really. Jackson isn't a terrible writer in the sense that she knows how to put one word in front of another in a reasonable order, but the story was a bit flat and the characters rather two-dimensional (and not a single one of them particularly likeable).

It is a sign of my disinterest in this book that I cannot be bothered writing more than two sentences of criticism.
Alaina
May 20, 2008 Alaina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
For what it was, this was a fairly good read...it's not like it has any illusions about being great literature. It was mindless at times, but fun at times as well. I picked this up in the YA section, but it also reads like an adult novel, with half adult characters. The problem was, I think, that most of the characters were just too darn selfish for me to really care much about.
Steven Salaita
This novel is pretty bad. For a supposed satire, it has no punch whatsoever. The prose is flat, sometimes banal. It can't decide whether it wants to be a deliciously guilty send-up of the well-to-do or a serious novel whose characters happen to be wealthy. So it ends up doing nothing well, with a particularly unfortunate side-effect: periodic boredom.
Carrie
This book is okay. I really liked it at first, but it quickly turn weird. I didn't think the ending ended the book. I think it needed more. I am not talking about leaving room for a second novel, but it's like the author said I think I'll stop and he did. I needed more closure, but then again, it's a thought provoking book and that was his intentions.
  • Gossip of the Starlings
  • Schooled
  • The Fruit of My Lipstick (All About Us, #2)
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • This Year's Model
  • Late Night Talking
  • College Girl
  • Chloe Does Yale
  • Bittersweet (The Sweet Life #6)
  • Brothers (and Me): A Memoir of Loving and Giving
  • Better Than Yesterday
  • Secret Society Girl (Secret Society Girl, #1)
  • Rattled!: A Memoir
Slicker Irish Terrier Jock Of The Great War Fit For Birth: Natural Rhythmic Exercise For Ante Natal And Post Natal Fitness Medau: The Art Of Energy