3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  432 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Because of his 'satiable curtiosity about what the crocodile has for dinner, the elephant's child and all elephants thereafter have long trunks.
Published September 1st 1999 by Child's Play International (first published 1900)

Kate (Phoenix Reads)
This is both a creative and cute little story that one of my friends showed me on her nook. I thought it was great.

The tale starts with a baby elephant who is young and naturally curious about the world around him. He goes through the day getting constantly pushed away and ignored by the other animals that apparent have better things to do than answer all of his questions.

Eventually he asks what the crocodile eats while the rest of the animals are eating and is encouraged by a bird to go ask hi...more
Amy
The illustrations (done by Lorinda Bryan Cauley) in this edition of Rudyard Kipling's The Elephant's Child are just beautiful! The pages alternate between color illustrations and black and white ones, but all of them are fantastic, and really enhance Kipling's story.

I have mixed feelings about the story itself. On one hand, it's a great fable, Kipling's writing is beautiful and poetic, and he has a lot of fun with words. It's masterfully written, of course. But... I can't read this book to my ni...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Kipling's Just So Stories are literary classics characterized by a wonderful sense of humor and brilliant use of language. In this illustrated version of one, a young elephant (equipped with an abbreviated trunk "as big as a boot") is filled with curiosity, although his family and relations try to drive it out of him through much spanking. He asks endless questions in the manner of small children, receiving many spankings for his trouble, until he hits on a question that provokes a torrent of sp...more
April
I read this for PrimeTime and found myself nostalgic for the days when beating children without explanation was acceptable and revenge was sweet. Just kidding - I was a bit disturbed by the message of this book but I like that the PrimeTime kids will have to take a break from their modern-sheltered-21st C-childhoods while reading it. Here's my favorite quote: "He went especially out of his way to find a broad Hippopotamus (she was no relation of his), and he spanked her very hard, to make sure t...more
Lyndz
This was the book that made me love audiobooks as a kid. (I still listen to them on a regular basis!) I used to listen to this book over and over on my little cassette player until I drove my brother mad.
I can still hear Jack Nicholson say, in his charismatic voice; "I am going to the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River, all set about with fever-trees, to find out what the Crocodile has for dinner."
The language, o best beloved, is most delectable. Still, children should be told not to go around spanking those who have only mere-smear noses. (Sorry; I had the wrong edition last time, and the fact that Bobby McFerrin was listed as the author bothered me most 'scruciatingly.)
Doran
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING
i almost cried
i laughed
and im so happy i got it for free on the nook
THE NOOK READ IT TO ME EVEN xD
Claire Dowdall
The Elephant's Child by Rudyard Kipling

Hi guys here is my latest review

The Elephant's Child
The Elephant's child is a story based on a child elephant that was full of questions which led to a great curiosity. The child elephant kept asking many questions such as `What made Giraffe's skin spotty?'. In answer he would get a nice spanking from his uncle (Giraffe), aunt (Hippopotamus), and all his other relatives to whom he persistently asked the question.
The story goes on to tell how one day Elephant's Child got inquisitive about what...more
Megan
I loved this story! I found it adorable, but kind of scary at some parts (I didn't want the Elephant Child to die)! The story is about a young elephant, with no trademark elephant trunk, who is very curious. He ends up in trouble when he asks about crocodiles eat . What the elephant does not know is that the creature he stumbles upon the Limpopo River he is sent to is indeed a crocodile and crocodiles are vicious carnivores. The crocodile bites the elephant's little nose and, in an effort to esc...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Mary
Author: Rudyard Kipling
Illustrator: Lorinda Bryan Cauley
Interest Level: K-2
Grade level Equivalent: 5.1
Lexile Measure®: 1100L
Guided Reading: M

The Elephant's Child is a fable about how the elephant got its long trunk. The story starts of with a curios elephant child who was full of curiosity and always got in trouble because of always asking questions. He wanted to know what the crocodile had for dinner so he left, where he meets creatures along the way. He finally meets a crocodile...more
Anka
Read this to my littlest cousin today. She enjoyed it and I found it cute, too.
Brennan Wieland
This tells the story of how the Elephant got his long nose. The Elephant is extremely curious and is always asking questions of the animals, and one day his curiosity leads him down to where the crocodile lives. The crocodile grabs onto the elephant's very short nose and pulls. The elephant pulls back and pulls and pulls until his trunk is stretched very far. One the crocodile lets go the elephant's nose never returns back to its short state. This seemed to be more of an original story, not to i...more
Heather
Ha! I loved this book! I have never read a children's book on my NOOK before, and it was such a great experience! I chose the "read it to me" feature just to see what happened. The narrator's voice was perfect. I think my students would LOVE this feature. Now I want to download audiobooks on my NOOK and see how my students like it. Where do I find more awesome books like this?

This book is beautifully illustrated, wonderfully narrated, and just a cool little book for kids, teens, AND adults :)
My first picture book for the NOOK Color, downloaded as a freebie from Barnes & Noble. I was skeptical about the whole "read to me" feature, but it's actually quite appealing. The whole experience is very cute. They don't go overboard making it interactive -- it's just a picture book with voiceover. The narrator does a great job, and the illustrations are adorable.

And yes, I'm adding this to GoodReads solely to catch up on my 2011 Reading Challenge book count.
Sarah Kasper
"The Elephant's Child" can be a good book for introducing your students to the idea of a fable. The story tells of how an Elephant gets it's long trunk. As an activating strategy, I would read this to my students and explain the concept of a fable. Can they think of any other fables? As a class we would brainstorm all the fables we can think of and then investigate how fables are written since they all follow a similar format.
Michael Jones
from my sister Sarah:

here is a good version: The Children's Treasury: Best Loved Stories And Poems From Around The World
by First Glance Books
Kevin Evans
This teaches children that it is ok to have curiosity. This is a great way to show in a humor way about rebelion and reeling back in the student. I thought this was a very good book to use with those kids because of the way that it presents the elphant having its curiosity in its trunk. This would be a good way to introduce the saying, "curiosity killed the cat". I think that children need to know their boundaries.
Jim
Read the Color Nook version of this. It is a simplified (read: edited) version of the original story, which some adults may not appreciate, but it's exactly the type of book most young kids enjoy; it has rhythm and repetition and several funny moments. It would make a nice storytime book for librarians to use if it was a print version.
Breanne
I got this book free with my NookColor, and my kids love it!!! It has come in handy while waiting in line at the grocery store, or in the waiting room at the doctor's and orthodontist. It is wonderfully illustrated with very bright pictures. All Rudyard Kipling stories are classics, but having this on a "Read to Me" ebook is wonderful.
Tony Derricott
Mar 30, 2011 Tony Derricott marked it as to-read
The story my mother used to read me most often, because I asked for it again and again. I loved the sheer fun of it, the music and the rhythm of the words. It was subversive too. Still my favourite story.
Jenn Dattilo Watts
I got this as a free e-book when I bought my Nook & the kids (ages 2, 3.5, & 8) all ask for this over the e-books I paid money for. It has this great read to me option that the kids love since Mommy can't read in a man's voice. Very colorful and a good length for young kiddos.
Shelly
This was free with the recent Nook update to show the enhanced children's books. It's such a cute story and the illustrations were very good, the best was the narration! I wish there was something like this when I was a kid, or that I had kids to read more of these types of books with!
Andrea
This is an adorable fable that tells a story of how the elephant might have gotten it's beautiful trunk. I got this book free with my Nook and it had the options of setting it the it would read aloud. The narrators voice and the beautiful illustrations are spot on!
Fred
Very typical Rudyard Kipling style book and just what you'd expect. My daughter liked it and I would read it again if I wasn't trying to return the damn Nook Color that they sent me by mistake and get a good Nook Simple Touch instead as I was supposed to have.
Peacegal
This "just so" story tells how the elephant got his long trunk. There is a lot of hitting in this one--the adult animals all spank the baby elephant for asking questions, and at the end of the story he uses his newly elongated nose to beat them back!
I found this story quite bizzar..All that smacking of the baby elephant was just out right odd to me. I knooow this book was writen in a very different time but it just grated on me :/ I woudn't want to give this book as a present to a small child.
Mellissa Joris
I have always loved this story. It encourages curiosity and allows the child to imagine themselves in control without encouraging rebellion like so many current authors do. This is a beautiful edition with great watercolours and ink drawings.
Nicole
This book was on my NOOK when I received it as a gift. This book is perfect for children. The pictures are vivid, and the story is short and sweet. A very cute story about one curious little elephant.
Sherri
This cute children's story came free with my Color Nook so I could not resist reading it. It's a fun mythology tale of how the elephant gets his nice long trunk. Little kids will love it.
  • I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track
  • Garbage! Monster! Burp!
  • Augustus And His Smile
  • The Voyage of Turtle Rex
  • The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Big Bad Bunny
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Just So Stories Kim Captains Courageous

“I Keep Six Honest Serving Men ..."

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.

I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

I let them rest from nine till five,
For I am busy then,
As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea,
For they are hungry men.

But different folk have different views;
I know a person small—
She keeps ten million serving-men,
Who get no rest at all!

She sends'em abroad on her own affairs,
From the second she opens her eyes—
One million Hows, two million Wheres,
And seven million Whys!”
7 likes
“Then the Kolokolo Bird said with a mournful cry, "Go to the banks of the great, grey-green greasy Limpopo River, all set about with fever-trees, and find out.” 1 likes