Start by marking “A Distant Music (The Mountain Song Legacy #1)” as Want to Read:
A Distant Music (The Mountain Song Legacy #1)

A Distant Music (The Mountain Song Legacy #1)

In the first book of the Mountain Song Legacy series readers step into a small Kentucky coal mining town in the late 1800’s where hope is found in the hearts of two young girls—the vib
Published January 1st 2006 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Distant Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Distant Music

Lynda
Mar 21, 2017 Lynda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This story. She understands grief. She understands how music restores the soul. How illness drags the spirit. I see these characters. No, more than that. I know these people. I'd award "A Distant Music" 6 stars if I could. B.J. Hoff ~~ you touched me and let me see "a new song".
Lydia Howe
First off, a list of things I did like:

1. The characters were relatable and authentic.
2. I could really feel the setting and see everything going on.
3. Summer. I really liked her, although her storyline was no surprise.
4. And of course the teacher. He's the one who made the book so worthwhile.
5. It had a good Biblical message to it.

My thoughts:

This book didn't have anything necessarily wrong with it, but it just kinda fell flat for me. I read it for the musical factor, and yet it only seeme
Melissa
This story, based off the B. J. Hoff novella The Penny Whistle, is a story of hope amid darkness. Jonathan Stuart, a young school teacher in a Kentucky coal mining town, cannot find his flute, and he fears that one of his students may have stolen it. Maggie MacAuley decides to take a donation from the students and their families and surprise Mr. Stuart with a new flute. But the townspeople are hard up, and it seems they will never come up with enough money. Maggie's best friend, Summer, is faili ...more
Terri Tinkel
Dec 21, 2012 Terri Tinkel rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, children
This is a story that takes place in the late 1800's in a small coal mining town in Kentucky. The story is very old fashioned but has good lessons for anyone who reads it. A small group of children who live in the mining community decide that their teacher has lost his zest for life because of the loss of his flute. As they try to replace the flute, life steps in and bad things happen to good people. Of course, in the end, two childhood friends have an idea that saves the day. I could see this as ...more
Judith Mullett
Jan 17, 2012 Judith Mullett rated it it was amazing
A Distant Music is a very touching story of childhood and gives great insight into the hardships faced by miners. The story centers around Maggie and her Irish family. It gave me great insight into the struggles of coal mining families and G J Hoff makes the characters os real you feel like you know each one. I was sorry when it ended and looked forward to reading the next chapter of Maggie's life.
Sharon
Jan 24, 2017 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story reads at a much slower pace than many of the books I've read in recent months but that is not a bad thing. It may, however, diminished my enjoyment of this book a slight bit. I discovered many quotes worth remembering in this book, especially on the theme of hope. The author paints a very poignant picture of a small coal mining community in Kentucky before the turn of the twentieth century... it's quite the setting for discourse on the topic of hope.
Linda Husvar
Sep 20, 2014 Linda Husvar rated it it was amazing
This book describes the struggles of a mountain coal mine town. A young girl was determined to raise funds to replace a flute stolen from the teacher of the one room school. We learn about Penny Whistles, common to mountain music, family and community hardships, and Depression Era life. I think it portrays accurate descriptions of the trials and dangers people in coal mine communities endured. I highly recommend this Book One of The Mountain Song Legacy.
Beverly
Jul 14, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
music

Music does so much for the soul. It keeps a song in our heart and within the pages of this book it brings life, joy, and hope. The Holy Bible tells us the that joy is connected to our strength . David danced sang and played the harp to refreshment and brighten the day. Try it...music that is ....and see if your step doesn't become lighter.
Patty
Feb 11, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
A Distant Music is the 1st of 3 books that are a take off from The Penny Whistle written by B.J. Hoff. She expanded on The Penny Whistle in A Distant Music, details about the characters really let you get to know them. I am anxiously waiting book two, The Wind Harp, to get here from the Library this afternoon. These books are The Mountain Song Legacy with book three being The Song Weaver.
April
Nov 12, 2011 April rated it liked it
A little slow to begin with, but overall a good book. This is definitely a feel-good book.
Ariel Pressey
May 31, 2011 Ariel Pressey rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. I could not put it down.
Haley
Jun 26, 2011 Haley rated it liked it
Definitely a 3.75 stars.
Leanne
Oct 12, 2011 Leanne rated it really liked it
Maggie is a remarkable twelve year old with maturity beyond her years. What a sweet girl. Set in a mining community, this book depicts all the hardships and poverty of a small community in 1894.
Carrie Eyre
Feb 01, 2010 Carrie Eyre rated it it was ok
Interesting, but not compelling.
Genealogyham
amazing story about how much we gain from giving to others, and how God creates music within us, and through us.
Brenda Russell
Mar 06, 2014 Brenda Russell rated it it was amazing
The three books in this series are a must! They touch the heart with their simplicity yet deep love for one another
Monica Johnson
Jul 12, 2013 Monica Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: faith-promoting
I enjoyed this book, it was not earth shattering, but it was a thoughtful book with a good message.
Pam
Jan 16, 2016 Pam rated it it was ok
Shelves: appalachia
simple,predictable, skimmed it
Margarette
Margarette rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Faythe Shattuck
Faythe Shattuck rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2010
Janetd
Janetd rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Brenna H.
Brenna H. rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2008
Tara Thompson carter
Tara Thompson carter rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Tammy Landy
Tammy Landy rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
Tamara Garner
Tamara Garner rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2017
Elizabeth Bayerl
Elizabeth Bayerl rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Macy
Macy rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Perizada
Perizada rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Jill Cipperly
Jill Cipperly rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Jane Gruber
Jane Gruber rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Bright Tomorrow (American Century, #1)
  • On Her Own (Brides of Webster County, #2)
  • Opal (Dakotah Treasures, #3)
  • Falconer's Quest (Heirs of Acadia #5)
  • Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
  • Fallen Angels
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4)
  • Spring is in the Air (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #26)
  • Thursday's Child (A Day to Remember #4)
  • The Birthright (Song of Acadia, #3)
  • Where Leads The Heart  (Wyoming #1)
  • Dream of Freedom (American Dreams, #1)
  • Christmas at Holly Hill
  • In Golden Splendor (Heirs of Ireland #2)
  • The Peacemakers (American Family Portrait #8)
  • Grave Risk (Hideaway, #7) (Steeple Hill Cafe)
BJ Hoff’s bestselling historical novels continue to cross the boundaries of religion, language, and culture to capture a worldwide reading audience.

Her books include such popular series as The Riverhaven Years, The Mountain Song Legacy, Song of Erin, American Anthem, and An Emerald Ballad. Hoff’s stories, although set in the past, are always relevant to the present.

Whether her characters move ab
More about B.J. Hoff...

The Mountain Song Legacy (3 books)
  • The Wind Harp (The Mountain Song Legacy #2)
  • The Song Weaver (The Mountain Song Legacy #3)