The Space Between Before and After

The Space Between Before and After

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Published May 13th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Space Between Before and After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Space Between Before and After

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Blue by Emily GiffinPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best chicklit
407th out of 582 books — 852 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurel-Rain
What happens to a woman's life when she is suddenly pulled into the drama of her young adult son's problems?

Holli Templeton had just begun carving out her own independent life after her divorce from Harrison, when she receives word that their son Conner, who left school without an explanation, has moved with his girlfriend to Texas. The two of them have set up a household behind Holli's grandmother's home, where Holli grew up. Determined to help him sort things out, Holli plans to return home; t...more
Anna
Nov 30, 2008 Anna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anna by: Keenan
Shelves: one-timers
Well, interesting story, interesting ideas. The idea of tying the story together with the space events was far fetched, but creative.

I got a bit annoyed with the narrative. The author switched perspectives every chapter, but because the mom Holli/Hollyanne was the *primary*, those chapters were in first person, and because the son Connor was *secondary*, those chapters were in 3rd person. Not sure why she couldn't make the plunge and put it in his perspective, but it was pretty jarring.

Also, sh...more
Amy
Sep 18, 2009 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I struggled with whether or not to give this 3 or 4 stars. I'd prefer 3.5 to be honest. I enjoyed the book - good story, nice characterizations, interesting plot, etc. However, it must not have been particularly engaging as I sat it down for over a month as I read some other items that I got from the library. I think that the writing is definitely reminiscent of Jodi Picoult but not nearly as engaging. The novel focused on character development and did an amazing job of it with the weaving in an...more
Andie
I had mixed emotions about this books. It's a story of a family, and how secrets and lies affect generations of family members. It's also about faith, belief and trust, and how to overcome troubling pasts. The main character had been looking forward to the time of her life when her son was in college, and her parents were healthy, and she could finally focus on herself. But she finds herself enmeshed in her son's rash decisions, and her mom who is suffering from memory loss and not able to be on...more
Cindy Hudson
In The Pages In Between, Erin Einhorn has written a memoir about what she finds when she searches for the Polish family that sheltered her Jewish mother during World War II.

When she was growing up in Detroit, Einhorn didn't know much about her mother's past until she wrote a paper on the topic when she was in high school. Her mother, Irena, offered only the basics: Born in the early 1940s, Irena's mother died during the war, while her father, Beresh, survived. Before he was taken away to a conce...more
Abigail
I really liked this book. I like how the author wrote each chapter from the perspective of one of the characters in the book. I also like how she wrote it from a young Hollyanne or an older Holli. The story has many twists to it and I won't give any away, but it will keep your interest till the very end.

The story is about the day a young girl named Hollyanne's (called Holli as an adult) mother dies while she is pregnant with her sister, and what happens to her life after that event. The events t...more
Rachelle
Forty-two and divorced, Holli Templeton has just begun to realize the pleasures of owning her life for the first time. But the experience is short-lived. Her son Conner has unexpectedly fled college in Rhode Island and moved to Texas with his troubled girlfriend, Kilian. This alone is difficult to handle, but as Holli begins to understand the depth of the girl's problems, concern turns to crisis.

Conner's situation is worsening, and as if that's not enough, Holli notices signs of serious decline...more
Stephanie Griffin
I’m not one to read the everyday drama kind of book, where a woman goes off and finds hope and faith and all that, but a certain storyline got me interested in reading THE SPACE BETWEEN BEFORE AND AFTER (even the name of the book makes me want to run in the other direction). Jean Reynolds Page’s novel is about a middle-age woman named Holli whose grandmother is showing early signs of dementia and whose son is having a crisis. Holli also has to come to terms with her past in order to move on with...more
Peggy
The writing style and topic of this book reminded me of Jodi Picoult's writings. There is good character development with fascinating interweaving of the characters' past and present. Conflict among family members is realistically portrayed, thus creating great emotional dynamics. There is an excellent portrayal of the effects of our past on our present and how hard it can be to move on. I loved the ending--upbeat but very realistic, too--not just "they lived happily ever after"--they still had...more
Michele Shimp
Back in June, Julie P. of Booking Mama wrote a review on a book I knew I had to read. The Space Between Before and After by Jean Page Reynolds lived up to Julie's review.[return][return]From the author's website: Forty-two and divorced, Holli Templeton has just begun to realize the pleasures of owning her life for the first time. But the experience is short-lived. Her son Conner has unexpectedly fled college in Rhode Island and moved to Texas with his troubled girlfriend, Kilian. This alone is d...more
Cindy
I gave this book 4 stars because of the skill in presenting the new Holli, the childhood Hollianne, the son; all of the different perspectives at play within its pages.
Usually when reading a book where chapters are written using different points of view, I come to care about one person's story more than others. With this book, I felt the chapters flowed in such a way that I was equally interested in all the characters.
Other reviews have stated that the ending felt hurried, but I felt like it w...more
Jaime
I really liked the story; in fact, it was hard to put down. But there were two things I didn't like about it: the editing and the ending. I caught at least four typos while reading, which annoyed the hell out of me. And my favorite part of a book is always the last paragraph. Usually, good authors sum up the thematic purpose of the story in some witty or touching way. I was disappointed with the last few lines of this one because they focused on the only character in the novel that I couldn't st...more
Aubrie
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this book. On one hand, the story was engaging and it kept me interested all the way through. On the other hand, I didn't feel like I really connected with the characters because I found most of them pretty obnoxious. I also didn't like the random dead mother visiting everyone throughout the book - that kind of stuff just does not work for me. Overall, didn't hate it but didn't love it either.
Denise
This is the story of two divorced parents who are stunned to learn that their only child, a son, has dropped out of Brown University and moved to Texas to cohabitate with his girlfriend who has cystic fibrosis. During the process of dealing with their son's situation, his mother deals with ghosts from her past. It was just an okay story. The mother kind of got on my nerves; she seemed to over-react to everything.
Chris
Engaging story and I was interested in what happened with all of the characters. I was disappointed at all the language there was throughout the book used by all the characters, but I guess it's the way it often is in the world. Interesting predicaments that forced the characters to make decisions and work at improving relationships. Not the best book I've ever read...but certainly a far cry from the worst.
Lisa
The best part of the book was when I finished it! It wasn't very good at all. It had too much whining and drama in it for me. At page 120 I wanted to give up and I didn't I stuck with it. I should have given up when I wanted to. The ending wasn't even good. In fact it was one of the stupidest endings to a book that I have ever seen. I would not waste my time reading this book!
Kathy
Really formulaic. I thought it had a good premise, but the writing was simplistic and a bit choppy. Sometimes there were summary sentences at the end of chapters that were a bit overdone and ridiculous. I actually liked the ending ok, but it was pretty predictable. I wouldn't run out and buy it again, but if there was nothing else to read it was ok.
Jodi
This is the first book that I have read by Ms Page, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the multiple narrators, and the fact that Holli's story jumped from present to past (Hollyanne). There were some aspects that were a little farfetched, but overall a good story that really draws you in quickly.

M
This is a multi-layered story about family secrets.About how they affect all the players: past, present, and future. Told from alternating points of view, this book seamlessly moves between past and present, telling each character's story. I liked it enough to want to read her other books.
Duck
Finally, a book pick from Sheryl. This one is for you Colleen. This is a very creative story about life and choices with several twists I did not see coming. There were things I did not care for terribly about the writing style, but it kept my interest. This is a quick read.
Jenna
This was similar to a Jodi Picoult book for me..really good at the beginning and then 300 pages of not a whole lot and then a quick but good ending. Took me forever to get through this one- easily could have been condensed from 389 pages down to about 250!
Jen
The way the story is told, jumping between past and present, really keeps the plot moving. I liked the way it was written and the different characters and how everything gets pulled together in the end. Good beach book, quick read.
Pmcdnld2
42 and divorced, main character finds herself dealing with her aging grandmother, her son and his seriously ill girlfriend, her ex and anger from her childhood caused by secrets and misunderstandings. I really enjoyed this book
Rhonda
Good book, light reading about middle-aged mother, ex-husband, dealing with aging parent,and 20-year old son. Pleasantly surprised at the lessons learned, and how her own life was being lived out in her son's life.
Vickie
This was a very good book, could be if not already a movie on life time movies channel.. will Elicit all kinds of emotion really liked the characters... Probably a chick flick kind of book enjoyed it.
Alexis
It covers themes of letting go, particularly as a parent. I liked this book but ultimately didn't feel connected enough to the characters. It has t really stuck with me but was mostly a good read. 3.5 stars
Liz Cuillard
This book was a little strange, but I liked it. I took me a while to get into, but once I did I was hooked. The ending really surprised me! I did not see it coming, and that's always nice.
Vicki
I felt that this book was a little too much work for not enough reward. The past/present constant switching felt like a Tarentino movie. Definitely didn't see the end coming.
Cindy Trabulsy
I really enjoyed this book and found it difficult to put down. the relationships were fascinating and the travel between the past and future seamless.
Lisa Helms
I really had a hard time getting started......finally after picking it up an putting it down after I fi---nally got 1/4 of the way through It pulled me in....
  • Two of a Kind
  • More Than it Hurts You
  • The Other Half
  • Ten Things I've Learnt About Love
  • Realities
Leaving Before It's Over A Blessed Event: A Novel Accidental Happiness: A Novel The Last Summer of Her Other Life Safe Within: A Novel