Start by marking “The Space Between Before and After” as Want to Read:
The Space Between Before and After

The Space Between Before and After

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  364 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Published May 13th 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Space Between Before and After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Space Between Before and After

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSomething Blue by Emily Giffin
Best chicklit
496th out of 685 books — 1,024 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurel-Rain
Apr 07, 2010 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing
What happens to a woman's life when she is suddenly pulled into the drama of her young adult son's problems?

Holli Templeton had just begun carving out her own independent life after her divorce from Harrison, when she receives word that their son Conner, who left school without an explanation, has moved with his girlfriend to Texas. The two of them have set up a household behind Holli's grandmother's home, where Holli grew up. Determined to help him sort things out, Holli plans to return home; t
Anna
Nov 30, 2008 Anna rated it it was ok
Recommended to Anna by: Keenan
Shelves: one-timers
Well, interesting story, interesting ideas. The idea of tying the story together with the space events was far fetched, but creative.

I got a bit annoyed with the narrative. The author switched perspectives every chapter, but because the mom Holli/Hollyanne was the *primary*, those chapters were in first person, and because the son Connor was *secondary*, those chapters were in 3rd person. Not sure why she couldn't make the plunge and put it in his perspective, but it was pretty jarring.

Also, sh
Amy
Sep 18, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I struggled with whether or not to give this 3 or 4 stars. I'd prefer 3.5 to be honest. I enjoyed the book - good story, nice characterizations, interesting plot, etc. However, it must not have been particularly engaging as I sat it down for over a month as I read some other items that I got from the library. I think that the writing is definitely reminiscent of Jodi Picoult but not nearly as engaging. The novel focused on character development and did an amazing job of it with the weaving in an ...more
Lisa
Feb 19, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok
The best part of the book was when I finished it! It wasn't very good at all. It had too much whining and drama in it for me. At page 120 I wanted to give up and I didn't I stuck with it. I should have given up when I wanted to. The ending wasn't even good. In fact it was one of the stupidest endings to a book that I have ever seen. I would not waste my time reading this book!
Andie
Dec 03, 2008 Andie rated it liked it
I had mixed emotions about this books. It's a story of a family, and how secrets and lies affect generations of family members. It's also about faith, belief and trust, and how to overcome troubling pasts. The main character had been looking forward to the time of her life when her son was in college, and her parents were healthy, and she could finally focus on herself. But she finds herself enmeshed in her son's rash decisions, and her mom who is suffering from memory loss and not able to be on ...more
Cindy Hudson
Jan 11, 2010 Cindy Hudson rated it it was amazing
In The Pages In Between, Erin Einhorn has written a memoir about what she finds when she searches for the Polish family that sheltered her Jewish mother during World War II.

When she was growing up in Detroit, Einhorn didn't know much about her mother's past until she wrote a paper on the topic when she was in high school. Her mother, Irena, offered only the basics: Born in the early 1940s, Irena's mother died during the war, while her father, Beresh, survived. Before he was taken away to a conce
Abigail
Feb 26, 2011 Abigail rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I like how the author wrote each chapter from the perspective of one of the characters in the book. I also like how she wrote it from a young Hollyanne or an older Holli. The story has many twists to it and I won't give any away, but it will keep your interest till the very end.

The story is about the day a young girl named Hollyanne's (called Holli as an adult) mother dies while she is pregnant with her sister, and what happens to her life after that event. The events t
Rachelle
Jan 11, 2010 Rachelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: chic-lit, 2010-reads
Forty-two and divorced, Holli Templeton has just begun to realize the pleasures of owning her life for the first time. But the experience is short-lived. Her son Conner has unexpectedly fled college in Rhode Island and moved to Texas with his troubled girlfriend, Kilian. This alone is difficult to handle, but as Holli begins to understand the depth of the girl's problems, concern turns to crisis.

Conner's situation is worsening, and as if that's not enough, Holli notices signs of serious decline
Stephanie Griffin
Feb 21, 2009 Stephanie Griffin rated it liked it
I’m not one to read the everyday drama kind of book, where a woman goes off and finds hope and faith and all that, but a certain storyline got me interested in reading THE SPACE BETWEEN BEFORE AND AFTER (even the name of the book makes me want to run in the other direction). Jean Reynolds Page’s novel is about a middle-age woman named Holli whose grandmother is showing early signs of dementia and whose son is having a crisis. Holli also has to come to terms with her past in order to move on with ...more
Christine Grant
Mar 28, 2015 Christine Grant rated it did not like it
Hollyanne loses her mother in a car accident at the age if 9, at the same time scandal involving her father and a neighbor lady rocks her young world. Thirty-odd years later, Holli returns to check on the famiky she left behind who seem embroiled in a series of crises of thier own.

I found most of the characters unlikable. As a result, I didn't care what happened to them. Waste of time.
Gina
Aug 17, 2016 Gina rated it liked it
I had mixed reviews about this book and couldn't decide between giving it 3 stars or 4 stars but because of the constant use of the "f" word, I chose 3 stars.
I was a story about an extended family- life, love, death, betrayal, deceit, sickness, healing, etc.
Skipping back and forth among more than 1 time period was a little confusing but in all, it just an o.k. book.
Peggy
Jan 22, 2009 Peggy rated it liked it
The writing style and topic of this book reminded me of Jodi Picoult's writings. There is good character development with fascinating interweaving of the characters' past and present. Conflict among family members is realistically portrayed, thus creating great emotional dynamics. There is an excellent portrayal of the effects of our past on our present and how hard it can be to move on. I loved the ending--upbeat but very realistic, too--not just "they lived happily ever after"--they still had ...more
 Kath
Mar 22, 2016 Kath rated it liked it
Not great...very slow and a bit depressing....not much "happy" on this book. A little bit too "literary " for my liking.
Michele Shimp
Feb 22, 2011 Michele Shimp rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Back in June, Julie P. of Booking Mama wrote a review on a book I knew I had to read. The Space Between Before and After by Jean Page Reynolds lived up to Julie's review.[return][return]From the author's website: Forty-two and divorced, Holli Templeton has just begun to realize the pleasures of owning her life for the first time. But the experience is short-lived. Her son Conner has unexpectedly fled college in Rhode Island and moved to Texas with his troubled girlfriend, Kilian. This alone is d ...more
Rose Anderson
Mar 10, 2016 Rose Anderson rated it it was amazing
A thought-provoking book about the true meaning of love and life.
Cindy
Jun 24, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
I gave this book 4 stars because of the skill in presenting the new Holli, the childhood Hollianne, the son; all of the different perspectives at play within its pages.
Usually when reading a book where chapters are written using different points of view, I come to care about one person's story more than others. With this book, I felt the chapters flowed in such a way that I was equally interested in all the characters.
Other reviews have stated that the ending felt hurried, but I felt like it w
Sam
Nov 11, 2014 Sam rated it it was ok
A soap opera that could have used a better editor. Nice diversion from the everyday, some interesting characters, very dramatic.
Jaime
Feb 13, 2011 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the story; in fact, it was hard to put down. But there were two things I didn't like about it: the editing and the ending. I caught at least four typos while reading, which annoyed the hell out of me. And my favorite part of a book is always the last paragraph. Usually, good authors sum up the thematic purpose of the story in some witty or touching way. I was disappointed with the last few lines of this one because they focused on the only character in the novel that I couldn't st ...more
Eddi
Mar 02, 2016 Eddi rated it liked it
Ok book. Holli finds herself caught up in her son's life when he drops out of college to move with his girlfriend to Holli's childhood hometown. Her grandmother is aging and having some issues. Turns out her son's girlfriend has health issues as well. Holli herself has conflicts with her stepmother who has been helping her grandmother. Also her ex husband goes with her to help deal with things. So...everybody has issues, and they struggle to deal with them and each other.
Aubrie
Nov 29, 2008 Aubrie rated it liked it
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this book. On one hand, the story was engaging and it kept me interested all the way through. On the other hand, I didn't feel like I really connected with the characters because I found most of them pretty obnoxious. I also didn't like the random dead mother visiting everyone throughout the book - that kind of stuff just does not work for me. Overall, didn't hate it but didn't love it either.
Denise
Sep 23, 2008 Denise rated it it was ok
This is the story of two divorced parents who are stunned to learn that their only child, a son, has dropped out of Brown University and moved to Texas to cohabitate with his girlfriend who has cystic fibrosis. During the process of dealing with their son's situation, his mother deals with ghosts from her past. It was just an okay story. The mother kind of got on my nerves; she seemed to over-react to everything.
Chris
Sep 03, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
Engaging story and I was interested in what happened with all of the characters. I was disappointed at all the language there was throughout the book used by all the characters, but I guess it's the way it often is in the world. Interesting predicaments that forced the characters to make decisions and work at improving relationships. Not the best book I've ever read...but certainly a far cry from the worst.
Kathy
Jul 12, 2008 Kathy rated it it was ok
Really formulaic. I thought it had a good premise, but the writing was simplistic and a bit choppy. Sometimes there were summary sentences at the end of chapters that were a bit overdone and ridiculous. I actually liked the ending ok, but it was pretty predictable. I wouldn't run out and buy it again, but if there was nothing else to read it was ok.
Jodi
Mar 07, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it
Shelves: hive-2011
This is the first book that I have read by Ms Page, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the multiple narrators, and the fact that Holli's story jumped from present to past (Hollyanne). There were some aspects that were a little farfetched, but overall a good story that really draws you in quickly.

M
Nov 22, 2010 M rated it really liked it
This is a multi-layered story about family secrets.About how they affect all the players: past, present, and future. Told from alternating points of view, this book seamlessly moves between past and present, telling each character's story. I liked it enough to want to read her other books.
Duck
Sep 15, 2009 Duck rated it really liked it
Finally, a book pick from Sheryl. This one is for you Colleen. This is a very creative story about life and choices with several twists I did not see coming. There were things I did not care for terribly about the writing style, but it kept my interest. This is a quick read.
Jenna
Jul 28, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it
This was similar to a Jodi Picoult book for me..really good at the beginning and then 300 pages of not a whole lot and then a quick but good ending. Took me forever to get through this one- easily could have been condensed from 389 pages down to about 250!
Jen
Jul 19, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
The way the story is told, jumping between past and present, really keeps the plot moving. I liked the way it was written and the different characters and how everything gets pulled together in the end. Good beach book, quick read.
Pmcdnld2
Jun 13, 2008 Pmcdnld2 rated it really liked it
42 and divorced, main character finds herself dealing with her aging grandmother, her son and his seriously ill girlfriend, her ex and anger from her childhood caused by secrets and misunderstandings. I really enjoyed this book
Rhonda
Jun 08, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
Good book, light reading about middle-aged mother, ex-husband, dealing with aging parent,and 20-year old son. Pleasantly surprised at the lessons learned, and how her own life was being lived out in her son's life.
  • Wherever Grace Is Needed