The Ultimate Betrayal

The Ultimate Betrayal (Wedlocked! )

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  797 ratings  ·  60 reviews
A marriage in crisis. . .

"I never meant to do it...she was just there when I needed someone..."

Rachel and Daniel had three adorable children and a strong marriage-or so Rachel had always believed.

But her happy life was shattered when she was told that Daniel had been having an affair. Then she realized that they'd been growing apart for years.

Rachel wanted so much to save...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 286 pages
Published October 1st 1996 by Thorndike Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Betrayal

KarenH
Jun 13, 2010 KarenH rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: not Dina for sure!
I've read many books where the hero has cheated in the past and the story begins several years later (present day), but this is the first book where the affair is "fresh" so to speak. Daniel & Rachel have been married for 7 years and have 3 small children. While Rachel is home totally content with her role as loving wife and mother, Daniel, a corporate whiz kid, is rapidly rising to the top of the food chain. However, buying and selling businesses is a nerve-wracking, cut-throat profession....more
Dinjolina
I have no idea what I think about this book. :/

I was very relived that the hero(view spoiler) but all the things he did do with her- really bugged me! I mean, all of his actions...it was the worst emotional cheating ever! And when I stopped to think about his decisions as a whole? I wanted to puke all over him.
Seeing as how he had the perfect wife at home and loved her to bits I had no idea how he could even need emotional balance from somebody...more
Tishke
Tina
Rachel and Daniel have been married for 7 years and have 3 wonderful children when Rachel's 'Best Friend' tells her that Daniel has been sleeping around with another woman.

When confronted, Daniel doesn't deny it and Rachel is devastated. Daniel insists that it is over and wants to make the marriage work. Rachel feels very vulnerable and unattractive and feels almost as if she has been kept in a prison for seven years.

Rachel tries to move out the previous suffocation confines of her marriage, whi...more
Marajean
The book takes a more realistic view of the problems that come about when one spouse cheats. Rachel finds out her husband of seven years and the father of her three children has been having an affair. She's devastated and realizes that while he's been moving forward this whole time, she's been the wife/mother and hasn't changed at all.

She doesn't know where she's going, if she's leaving him or anything about her life. The problems they faced were presented realistically including the trouble wi...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Holy cannoli was this a good book!

It's a bit dated (obviously set in the 90's as the fashions will attest lol), but other than that, wow.

I don't normally intentionally read books involving infidelity, but I'm so glad I picked this one up.

It's very realistic -- all the bitterness and anger and hurt and resentment are illustrated beautifully -- from Rachel being angry with herself for letting them grow apart to her inability to climax during sex because whenever she gets close, she remembers/thin...more
sbf20112011
I've put off reading this forever (though I've read almost all of Michelle Reid's other books) because I knew based on the synopsis it would be a total angst-fest and I was never quite in the mood for it. Total angst-fest is pretty much how I'd describe it after reading it too. Not my favorite of hers because the emotional upswing of the ending just didn't make up for the emotional downer-ness of the majority of it. It might be a more realistic portrayal, but honestly I don't want massive amount...more
Hanife Albayrak

Bu yorum aynı zamanda Romancekolikte yayınlanmıştır.

Rating; 4.5/5

"Barışmaları daha değişik olabilirdi puan oradan kıstım." demişim bitirdiğimde. Aradan uzun bir zaman geçtikten sonra uzun bir yorum yazma şansı yakalayabildim. İçim sızlaya sızlaya okuduğum nadir kitaplar arasındandır. Konusu ise çok hassas. Aldatmak! Hele başlangıçta kitabın içinden öyle bir alıntı var ki içim orada başladı sızlamaya.

"Kesinlikle yapmak istememiştim. Sadece birine ihtiyacım olduğunda oradaydı..."

18 yaşında tazec
Jemma Gutierrez
Infidelity never works for me and i mean that in an id-rather-suffer-than-forgive condemning kind of way; wheter it be thought or deed. So i was a bit biased in rating this- Most of the time when this kind of things happens; i always feel like the hero never grovels enough.

I guess there is that ugly me inside that is really good at holding grudge.

The entire book is like a documentary on the relationship between a man and woman concerning infedelity. Documentary because it was realistic. THe wh...more
LuvGirl
KatieV
Michelle Reid is one of my favorite HP authors. She knows how to bring some genuine emotion even when working with very common tropes, but this story was different in that it was less tropey and more realistic in scope. There was no private island, no amnesia, no blackmail, etc.

This story isn't my usual taste. I waffled on reading it and tbqh it won't be a re-read for me simply because it's not my cuppa and not a "fun" sort of angst. But, I have to give credit to Reid for her ability to bring th...more
Dwayne
Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf.

Ah, a book about infidelity. Normally I'd rather suffer through watching Big Brother than read it, because the former at least would make me feel better about my mental faculties and the latter I'm sure from experience would only upset me so. But I have always shunned these books and really, it was time to give one a chance.

Glad I did. Sure, the topic is painful, sensitive and emotional, but ultimately what carries the book for me I have realised is not the r...more
Steamywindows♥♫
Well, this book certainly took me by storm. I couldn't put it down. Wow. I don't know how to describe how this author conveyed such an emotionally complex, angsty ( i know that's not a word - but i think it should be) and yet romantic tale about a married-with-three-kids couple who experience what many (most?) couples do; busy lives, too many stresses and too little time...and all of a sudden, opportunity presents and the unthinkable, unforgivable happens.

Is this story a pleasant, Sunday aftern...more
Leona
WOW! What a wonderful read from Michelle Reid. She is an incredible author that pulls you in right from the first page. I was hesitant to pick it up due to the content, but it came highly recommended by the ladies who chat on the HQN discussion group. They did not disappoint! This a story of betrayal, how it destroys the most sacred bonds of commitment and how difficult it really is to ever trust again. There for awhile, I actually thought these two were never going to make it back to each other...more
Jenny
I have no idea why ppl are saying this book is about a cheating hero. He clearly states he never touched the other woman. Heroine on the other hand kissed the other man and to me kissing is also cheating so it is the heroine who is the cheater here not the hero. Still this couple is messed up. Couldn't warm up to them.
Vanessa
I felt that this was a little more believable than some of The List books. She did act like a woman cheated on at some points and I liked that. I felt he was truly sorry for what all he did and at the same time it seemed a bit realistic as well. He didn't ever think things would lead down the road he had taken with each decision he had made. Isn't that always true? The so called friend - I really think Rachel should have had some idea about her so called BFF and if not perhaps hubby should have...more
Roksana
I had a hard time rating this book/ from one hand the reader is emotionally and mentally shattered and at the same time demands the reader to face those emotions and suck you right there in the battle like you have witnessed it on your own skin which for that deserves 4 stars, hence on the other hand it wants you to hate the book and all that you have been forced to read to leave you with a bad taste and unfulfilled satisfaction.

I think the heroin was really strong by keeping the hero in the dar...more
HÜLYA
Çok dokunaklı çok etkilendim..Küçük yaşta sevdiği adamla istenmeyen gebeliği yzünden evlenmek zorunda kalan Rachel ...
Öte yandan da sevdiği kızın yaşı küçük olduğu hayatına kariyerine devam edebilmesi onu terk etmeyi göze alan ama istenmeyen hamilelik yüzünden onunla evlenen bir erkek..
Yedi yıllık bir evlilik büyük bir kısmı mutluluk içinde geçerken aniden patlak veren bir kriz..Nerede ise evliliğe mal olacak kadar kuvvetli...
Çok severek okudum..Aldatılan bir kadının nasıl gururunun kırılabilece...more
Deborah Richardson
I can't remember when I read this, it was somewhere in the early 2000's and I remember this being the dumbest book that I had ever read.

Rachel found out from her best friend Mandy that her husband Daniel had been cheating on her with his Secretary. Mandy told her that they were seen all around town and that Daniel did nothing to hide the fact the we was having an affair. As a matter of fact, everyone seemed to know about it but Rachel!

Daniel doesn't deny the he was with her but, he says that he...more
Geri
I read this book and it was so emotional. I went through an entire box of kleenex.

(view spoiler)...more
Winaa Daisy
This book was quite a surprise, I thought I would've hated it since the theme of the book was about infidelity. But I actually liked it, mainly because the book showed the hardships that this couple went through in their marriage and how cheating can severely damage a relationship. The heroine wasn't stupid. After she found out that Daniel had cheated on her, she didn't quickly come running back to him after he apologized. Instead, she became emotionally guarded all throughout the book. It gave...more
Michelle Onuorah
This book had so much potential but hardly any execution. When a man cheats on his wife and truly loves her, he accepts that she will be hurt and lash out. The hero, Daniel, was an absolute heel and the epitome of the 1980s - 1990s guppy materialistic mentality that ended up driving this economy into the ground. He claimed to have remorse for his actions but rarely showed it.

He said all the wrong things, alternately regretting his affair and then blaming the heroine for it. Sometimes asking her...more
Sakura
*Sighs*

I love this book.

I love the main characters despite the fact that they both have their flaws. Only complaint is the sudden change in attitude at the end, an epilogue would have helped.

Bottom Line: Recommended if you like cheating type books with lots of grovelling.
Akansha
I just want to say that i have most of the time observed that the husband normally blames the wife directly, insultingly that they have been neglecting their husband's and it was to be expected that someday they would have strayed. But for me this one was different were the husband actually felt guilty and cared enough to actually make an effort to try and save his marriage.
It was quite obvious that he genuinely made and effort to try and do the best he could in the given circumstances and wife....more
Gisele
He leido muchos de Michelle Reid, pero este, sin duda, es mi favorito!
Wiewi
at first..I'm not sure I'm gonna like this story. basically I don't like the cheating theme. but this book I love it. it close to real life..

"Rachel was seventeen when married Daniel and pregnant with twin. one day in seven years their marriage life, she heard from her bestie that her husband cheating on her. the husband admitted that he was being unfaithful. Rachel's world shattered into pieces and she doing a lot of thinking about her life since being married to Daniel"

I don't know how write...more
Andrea Guy
Michelle Reid's The Ultimate Betrayal goes were most presents novels fear to tread, inside a married couples home.

Rachel and Daniel have been married for seven years, and have 3 children, when Rachel learns that he's been cheating. This throws their whole life into a tailspin and asks a question that so many couples ask when one partner has strayed, should we try to rebuild the trust that has been shattered?

It wouldn't be a romance novel if they didn't try to make a go of it, and through the pe...more
Anna
Well, this was interesting. We used to have some harlequin books at home and I would turn to them when I wanted something I didn't want to think about that much. This was one of the books and I remembered liking this one a bit more, so when I saw it as an e-book, I decided to read it again. As for harlequins go, this one felt real to me. The couple is already married and have kids and complications happen after. There were few scenes that felt a bit rape-y to me (I didn't remember that, but then...more
Bukola
Arrrghhh I was mad mad mad at this couple.. So messed up. At one point I was shouting at my iPad.. I love MJ books but Mehn this one gave me a headache. The hero kept telling the wife he never cheated!!!! NEVER!! but the heroine won't hear of it.
The book starts off with a promising scenario, but the storyline loses steam with a less than credible resolution.

Gisbelle
It really was an emotional story, with a cheating husband, a clueless wife and all that. But the writing was really bad, or maybe I should say outdated. Too much repeating information which made the book extremely slow and boring.
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • The Fourth Child
  • Shattered Trust
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2 & Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • The Veranchetti Marriage (Lynne Graham Collection, #1)
  • What Mattered Most
  • Sensation
  • Except My Love
  • Ruthlessly Bedded, Forcibly Wedded (Innocent Wives #2)
  • Some Enchanted Season (Bethlehem, #2)
  • Sale Or Return Bride
  • Strangers in the Desert (The Al Dhakir Brothers #1)
  • A Whirlwind Marriage
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some...more
More about Michelle Reid...
Gold Ring of Betrayal The Price of a Bride Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1) Marchese's Forgotten Bride Marriage on the Rebound