Start by marking “The Ultimate Betrayal” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Betrayal

The Ultimate Betrayal

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,511 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
A marriage in crisis. . .

"I never meant to do it...she was just there when I needed someone..."

Rachel and Daniel had three adorable children and a strong marriage-or so Rachel had always believed.

But her happy life was shattered when she was told that Daniel had been having an affair. Then she realized that they'd been growing apart for years.

Rachel wanted so much to save
Hardcover, Large Print, 286 pages
Published October 1st 1996 by Thorndike Press (first published 1995)

Val ⚓️ Shameless & Bitchy Skanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads Mrs. Danvers-Tate-Snow
I had no business reading this, but I did anyway.
Because IDIOT.
So for that reason, it wouldn't be fair to rate it.
KarenH
Jun 13, 2010 KarenH rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: not Dina for sure!
I've read many books where the hero has cheated in the past and the story begins several years later (present day), but this is the first book where the affair is "fresh" so to speak. Daniel & Rachel have been married for 7 years and have 3 small children. While Rachel is home totally content with her role as loving wife and mother, Daniel, a corporate whiz kid, is rapidly rising to the top of the food chain. However, buying and selling businesses is a nerve-wracking, cut-throat profession. ...more
Dinjolina
I have no idea what I think about this book. :/

I was very relived that the hero(view spoiler) but all the things he did do with her- really bugged me! I mean, all of his actions...it was the worst emotional cheating ever! And when I stopped to think about his decisions as a whole? I wanted to puke all over him.
Seeing as how he had the perfect wife at home and loved her to bits I had no idea how he could even need emotional balance from somebody
Tishke
Paige  Bookdragon

description

cue Sam Smith's I'm Not The Only One in the background

Okay, before I proceed to the proper review, let me just say that Sam Smith's song is not really the proper song for this book. The only thing the song and the book has in common was the "guy cheating at his wife" part. Though the story behind the lyrics is different than the story in the book, it still made my cry.

What will you do if your partner cheated on you?

description

I rarely read books with married couples because I know something fucked up will
Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
4 ★'s

Okay, I had two reasons that piqued my interest in this book. First...it's from the 1990's and I was curious as to how it would hold up compared to today's romance novels and secondly, betrayal = a whole lotta angst! 'Nuff said! ;)

What was intriguing about this book is that it starts with Rachel just finding out from her best friend that her husband, Daniel, has been having an affair. Rachel's barely been able to keep her head above water with three small children so while she's noticed t
Roksana
Updating my review from 2013, Rating stays the same!

I had a hard time rating this book/ from one hand the reader is emotionally and mentally shattered and at the same time demands the reader to face those emotions and suck you right there in the battle like you have witnessed it on your own skin which for that deserves 4 stars, hence on the other hand it wants you to hate the book and all that you have been forced to read to leave you with a bad taste and unfulfilled satisfaction.

I think the her
Nikki ღ Navareus
Jan 30, 2017 Nikki ღ Navareus rated it liked it
***THREE AND A HALF STARS***
Tina
Jun 25, 2010 Tina rated it it was ok
Rachel and Daniel have been married for 7 years and have 3 wonderful children when Rachel's 'Best Friend' tells her that Daniel has been sleeping around with another woman.

When confronted, Daniel doesn't deny it and Rachel is devastated. Daniel insists that it is over and wants to make the marriage work. Rachel feels very vulnerable and unattractive and feels almost as if she has been kept in a prison for seven years.

Rachel tries to move out the previous suffocation confines of her marriage, whi
Glire
Las historias que involucran infidelidad siempre son difíciles de calificar para mí. Basada, por supuesto, en mis propias creencias e incapacidad para el perdón.

Puedo entender que alguien que está en una relación se enamoré de otro, por el motivo que sea. Si la historia se desarrolla desde esa premisa —como sucede con Thoughtless—no tengo problema. Desarrolla esa trama de manera sensible y ya me ganaste. Love is love.

Pero, ¿perdonar una infidelidad? Jamás. Me resulta inconcebible y estúpido.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Holy cannoli was this a good book!

It's a bit dated (obviously set in the 90's as the fashions will attest lol), but other than that, wow.

I don't normally intentionally read books involving infidelity, but I'm so glad I picked this one up.

It's very realistic -- all the bitterness and anger and hurt and resentment are illustrated beautifully -- from Rachel being angry with herself for letting them grow apart to her inability to climax during sex because whenever she gets close, she remembers/thin
Marajean
Apr 28, 2011 Marajean rated it really liked it
The book takes a more realistic view of the problems that come about when one spouse cheats. Rachel finds out her husband of seven years and the father of her three children has been having an affair. She's devastated and realizes that while he's been moving forward this whole time, she's been the wife/mother and hasn't changed at all.

She doesn't know where she's going, if she's leaving him or anything about her life. The problems they faced were presented realistically including the trouble wi
Sruthi
I was afraid to pick it because of the unfaithful hero and I hated him till the very end , though I was able to believe that he regrets his actions , I could not like him, during their first confrontation he was so damn arrogant , I wanted to slap him with my shoes right in his face . But his character grew over the book and so did hers .

This book is worth reading just to read h's monologues , You will feel her pain , that was a extraordinary piece of raw emotions .
Zairobe25
Recientemente leí un libro donde hay una cita de Gabriel García Márquez que dice:
"Que alguien no te ame como tú quieres, no significa que no te ama con todo su ser"
Recorde mucho esa cita con esta lectura, porque a veces la gente hace cosas que uno no entiende, como ser infiel cuando proclaman a los cuatro vientos amor por el traicionado, es para mi difícil de entender algo así, y esta es una historia difícil de leer, pero tan cierta y tan real, gracias a Dios yo no he pasado por una situación as
JG
Infidelity never works for me and i mean that in an id-rather-suffer-than-forgive condemning kind of way; wheter it be thought or deed. So i was a bit biased in rating this- Most of the time when this kind of things happens; i always feel like the hero never grovels enough.

I guess there is that ugly me inside that is really good at holding grudge.

The entire book is like a documentary on the relationship between a man and woman concerning infedelity. Documentary because it was realistic. THe wh
sbf20112011
Mar 21, 2012 sbf20112011 rated it really liked it
I've put off reading this forever (though I've read almost all of Michelle Reid's other books) because I knew based on the synopsis it would be a total angst-fest and I was never quite in the mood for it. Total angst-fest is pretty much how I'd describe it after reading it too. Not my favorite of hers because the emotional upswing of the ending just didn't make up for the emotional downer-ness of the majority of it. It might be a more realistic portrayal, but honestly I don't want massive amount ...more
KatieV
Michelle Reid is one of my favorite HP authors. She knows how to bring some genuine emotion even when working with very common tropes, but this story was different in that it was less tropey and more realistic in scope. There was no private island, no amnesia, no blackmail, etc.

This story isn't my usual taste. I waffled on reading it and tbqh it won't be a re-read for me simply because it's not my cuppa and not a "fun" sort of angst. But, I have to give credit to Reid for her ability to bring th
Jenny
Aug 21, 2015 Jenny rated it it was ok
I don't even know how to rate this. As I finished this the Ashley Madison hack is making headlines. I just can not understand the fascination with unfaithful heroes. Are there unfaithful heroines in the category romance world? Whenever I read these stories I marvel at the underlying sexism and double standards involved. A woman who behaves the way these so called "heroes" behave are the awful evil other women. I think the men who behave this way should get the same treatment.

Rachel, the heroine
Hanife

Bu yorum aynı zamanda Romancekolikte yayınlanmıştır.

Rating; 4.5/5

"Barışmaları daha değişik olabilirdi puan oradan kıstım." demişim bitirdiğimde. Aradan uzun bir zaman geçtikten sonra uzun bir yorum yazma şansı yakalayabildim. İçim sızlaya sızlaya okuduğum nadir kitaplar arasındandır. Konusu ise çok hassas. Aldatmak! Hele başlangıçta kitabın içinden öyle bir alıntı var ki içim orada başladı sızlamaya.

"Kesinlikle yapmak istememiştim. Sadece birine ihtiyacım olduğunda oradaydı..."

18 yaşında tazec
LuvGirl
Dalimar
Una de esas novelas que si la juzgo dentro del género sin dudas en una de las mejores que he leído. No dormí hasta terminarla.Lo mas que me gustó fue el hecho de que aunque Rachel se hubiera casado con sólo 17 años y durante la novela tuviera 24,no era tan tonta. Por lo general,en este tipo de novelas rosas,la protagonista es una sumisa y encima medio tontas a mas no poder.

Toda la trama con la infidelidad de Daniel,fue muy bien llevada y aunque en lo personal,yo lo hubiera castrado o mandado bie
Jenny
Apr 06, 2014 Jenny rated it did not like it
I have no idea why ppl are saying this book is about a cheating hero. He clearly states he never touched the other woman. Heroine on the other hand kissed the other man and to me kissing is also cheating so it is the heroine who is the cheater here not the hero. Still this couple is messed up. Couldn't warm up to them.
Alisa
Sep 23, 2014 Alisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alisa by: Geri
Wow. Tear fest. It was so heartbreaking what she had to go through. And so embarrassing!

I've been meaning to read this book since Feb. but I'm such a new release whore. When I got to one point in the book where the hero mentioned that he could have easily gotten a divorce because people do it all the time; it's the nineteen-nineties. I did a double take. A triple read. Lol. I was like er, what? Nineteen-nineties = 1990's... ohhhh, yeah, this is an old publication.

But anyways, the book is just tr
StMargarets
I was afraid to read this because of the cheating allegations that blow their marriage wide-open. It was painful to read the heroine's reaction, but MR kept the action moving along so it wasn't all navel gazing and recriminations. The heroine's focus on her own needs made sense and pointed the way to a believable HEA. A challenging read rather than warm fuzziness.
Janie
Jul 12, 2016 Janie marked it as never-going-to-read
The blurb says: He never meant to do it...did he slip and when he fell he was just inside the OW lol. That's some dumb shit there.
Dwayne
Apr 17, 2011 Dwayne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book-copy
Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf.

Ah, a book about infidelity. Normally I'd rather suffer through watching Big Brother than read it, because the former at least would make me feel better about my mental faculties and the latter I'm sure from experience would only upset me so. But I have always shunned these books and really, it was time to give one a chance.

Glad I did. Sure, the topic is painful, sensitive and emotional, but ultimately what carries the book for me I have realised is not the r
Steamywindows♥♫
Well, this book certainly took me by storm. I couldn't put it down. Wow. I don't know how to describe how this author conveyed such an emotionally complex, angsty ( i know that's not a word - but i think it should be) and yet romantic tale about a married-with-three-kids couple who experience what many (most?) couples do; busy lives, too many stresses and too little time...and all of a sudden, opportunity presents and the unthinkable, unforgivable happens.

Is this story a pleasant, Sunday aftern
Michelle Onuorah
Apr 16, 2014 Michelle Onuorah rated it it was ok
This book had so much potential but hardly any execution. When a man cheats on his wife and truly loves her, he accepts that she will be hurt and lash out. The hero, Daniel, was an absolute heel and the epitome of the 1980s - 1990s guppy materialistic mentality that ended up driving this economy into the ground. He claimed to have remorse for his actions but rarely showed it.

He said all the wrong things, alternately regretting his affair and then blaming the heroine for it. Sometimes asking her
Leona
Apr 23, 2012 Leona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hqn-presents
WOW! What a wonderful read from Michelle Reid. She is an incredible author that pulls you in right from the first page. I was hesitant to pick it up due to the content, but it came highly recommended by the ladies who chat on the HQN discussion group. They did not disappoint! This a story of betrayal, how it destroys the most sacred bonds of commitment and how difficult it really is to ever trust again. There for awhile, I actually thought these two were never going to make it back to each other ...more
Vanessa
Feb 05, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
I felt that this was a little more believable than some of The List books. She did act like a woman cheated on at some points and I liked that. I felt he was truly sorry for what all he did and at the same time it seemed a bit realistic as well. He didn't ever think things would lead down the road he had taken with each decision he had made. Isn't that always true? The so called friend - I really think Rachel should have had some idea about her so called BFF and if not perhaps hubby should have ...more
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Runaway Wife
  • Shattered Trust
  • The Fourth Child (Family Matters #3)
  • Some Enchanted Season (Bethlehem, #2)
  • Tempestuous Reunion
  • The Scorsolini Marriage Bargain (Royal Brides, #5; Scorsolini Princes, #3)
  • The Failed Marriage
  • What Mattered Most
  • The Coming Home Place
  • Savage Obsession (Harlequin Presents)
  • Except My Love
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • The Final Price
  • The S Before Ex
  • Comparative Strangers
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some
More about Michelle Reid...