Start by marking “Upon a Midnight Clear: An All-New Collection of Heartwarming Holiday Stories” as Want to Read:
Upon a Midnight Clear: An All-New Collection of Heartwarming Holiday Stories

Upon a Midnight Clear: An All-New Collection of Heartwarming Holiday Stories

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,779 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
A spirited Irishwoman comes to a rugged Colorado town to govern a young ruffian and learns a love lesson from the boy's father: there is more to the man than meets the eye....In the midst of a blizzard, a snowbound woman offers shelter to a stranger, a man who is an expert at covering his tracks....Home for the holidays, an artist proves opposites can attract - and make sp ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Atria Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Upon a Midnight Clear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon a Midnight Clear

Stacie  M. Ritchie
I always like to read anthologies because it introduces me to new authors outside what I would be reading. There are drawbacks because sometimes you read authors that quite frankly aren’t the best storytellers. This book had five different stories in it. The first by Jude Deveraux was interesting because it was connected to her book Legend. I would have liked to have a longer story, and if I had known this story existed I would have read this book sooner. As the fact of most anthologies there we ...more
Anne Marie
Overall, this book was good, and I liked that more stories were set in the present time.
The first story, The Teacher, was not what I expected. Set in the 1800s, Kathryn is running away with her son Jeremy to hide from Jeremy's father who is out to get them for kidnapping and attempted murder (still don't know who she was trying to murder...Jeremy's father?) They wind up in a town in Colorado where finally after a long drawn out court case, Kathryn teaches Cole's son Zachary his studies by brib
BJ Rose
Finding 2 good stories out of the 5 included was not a very good holiday gift. Jude Deveraux's "The Teacher" was OK, but the shining star goes to Mariah Stewart for her "If Only in My Dreams". Linda Howard's "White-Out" was just ok and has been around for a while.
Princess Thuy
Jan 31, 2014 Princess Thuy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five stories set during winter/Christmas time that was a very nice holiday read. I liked this book just fine. Some stories I liked more than the other but overall it was a sweet collection of stories.

The Teacher by Jude Deveraux was a western set probably in the early 19th century I'm guessing. Cute story about a woman on the run with her son trying to hide out from her son's father's rich family. She ends up taking a job as a teacher for a man's young hellion of a son in Legend, Colorado. 3 sta
Judy Goodnight
5 different stories about love at Christmastime. The first three are okay, the fourth somewhat better. The fifth one by Linda Howard is the only one that I really enjoy.
Jessi
A collection that I remember reading when I was in high school. It aged better than I would have thought for being 20 years old.
Jun 12, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short holiday romances. Picked this up for a buck to get me through half a x-country plane ride. Am extremely happy to have only paid a dollar and left it in the seat pocket for the next bored reading rider. I know people look down on the whole romance genre but I truly believe romance houses some of the best authors writing today. However, I realized while reading that I've limited myself to what I consider the best authors for quite a while now. In a metal tube in the sky, I pretty much had to ...more
Esme
Dec 27, 2014 Esme rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I read a first chunk of the first story, but it was no good, so I didn't bother finishing. Other reviews say the first was actually the worst story, so some future Christmas I might try the others.
TINA USHER
Jul 18, 2016 TINA USHER rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 lovely stories for xmas by 5 authors
Kimngan Tran
White out 2
Cindy
Jan 09, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was not too keen on the contemporary stories.
Kristyna
(I have read only Jolly Holly.)
Holly
I only re-read the Linda Howard story, White Out, this time around. She can make the most implausible situations work so well! A woman alone in a blizzard helps out a man stranded in the elements, they have sex and fall in love in a night? That totally shouldn't work. And yet it does. Howard pulled me in and had me buying into the whole crazy thing right from the start. If you haven't already, I recommend you check it out.
Syahira Sharif
The book was a second hand novel that are missing a couple of it pages. Its a five stories in a book and among them are my favourites. Its a good christmassy book without the dreadful religion overtone (I’m not christian btw) and more about it being a season of love. As sarcastic as I am to the whole relationship issues, I tend to reach for the book when I’m feeling a bit off colour while I'm at the other library of mine.
Devu
Oct 05, 2014 Devu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The teacher
Anna
Mar 04, 2012 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really probably a 2.5 but I will be generous and give it a 3. Pleasant stories for the most part; some were just silly. I am a sucker for Christmas stories/romances and will read them at any time of year. Plus I love anthologies.

My favorite stories in this one were the ones by Mariah Stewart (whom I had not read before) and Linda Howard.
La Reyna
Dec 25, 2013 La Reyna rated it it was ok
I'm being generous with my two stars only because it's Christmas. I'm not one for romance reads but I love cheesy holiday stories so I gave this a shot. I was sorely disappointed, these are short stories and I mean short! There was tons of character backgrounds but then it was "wham bam thank you ma'am" the end...very lack luster in my opinion.
Ms Borg
'White Out' by Linda Howard (Hope Bradshaw & Price Tanner)
'The Teacher' by Jude Devereaux (Kathryn de Longe & Cole Jordan)
'Christmas Magic' by Margaret Allison (Kim Risson)
'Jolly Holly' by Stef Ann Holm (John Wolcott and Isabel Burche)
'If Only In My Dreams' by Mariah Stewart (Quinn Hollister & Cale McKenzie)
Dana
Not a fan of anthologies, I only read this one because LH was on the cover. I should have just passed it up, or threw my money in the garbage. Five short stories (5!) in one, the stories were soooo rushed. Pretty horrible writing, nothing exciting, tired story lines, blah. I give it a craptastic 2 stars.
Book rating (average of five stories)= 2.7 stars

If Only in My Dreams by Mariah Stewart

White Out by Linda Howard
3 stars
Dawn ♥ romance
I only read Jude Deveraux story and it was ok. So much focus on the conflict between the two that I wondered if they would ever get to the romance. Christmas also didn't come into play until the very end. Kathryn goes to Colorado to be governess for Cole's son.
Gloria Rohde
THE TEACHER - 3.5
CHRISTMAS MAGIC - 3
HOLLY JOLLY - 2.5
IF ONLY IN MY DREAMS - 3.5
WHITE OUT - 2.5 (and seriously, why didn't they explain everything she brought up that made her suspicious...also icky insta-love. Not even the non-icky type)
Jamie

PENDING
Jessie
Jan 06, 2009 Jessie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I only read the first story of 5 from this book. It was an okay story but there was quite a bit of sexual induendo. That is why I chose not to continue to read. Also it wasn't much of a Christmas story at all.
Susan
Mar 29, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
JD-4* Legnd,CO, Cole's stry w/ Kathryn & their sons; MA-3* drs, f/l, fam reunite; SAH-4.5* loners join 2 win contst, ea othr; MA-3.5* f/l reunits m/l & his kids; LH-5* fast, hot snow srvivl, bd gy mystry
Diana
Dec 08, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If your in the mood for easy, cheesy, romance stories at Christmas time, this is the book for you-and me. If not, steer clear. The authors and their short stories colleced in this book are better than most.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Just the right amount of sprinkle of romance in this great holiday story collection! I loved the cozy love stories! I really enjoyed that most of the stories took place in the frontier time.
Shawna
Dec 18, 2009 Shawna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of short stories...I guess you could say that I just wasn't impressed.
There was little mystery in any of them, and the rest was just there.
  • Everlasting Love
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • Under the Boardwalk: A Dazzling Collection of All New Summertime Love Stories
  • Jingle All The Way
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Sinful (includes: Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Unwrapped
  • Christmas Getaway
  • A Soldier's Christmas (Conard County #16, Wingman Warriors #8)
  • Faery Magic
  • Naughty, Naughty
  • Once Upon a Midnight (Once Upon, #6)
  • The Gifts of Christmas
  • Mistletoe and Mayhem
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...