Start by marking “Steppenwolf” as Want to Read:
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  96,286 Ratings  ·  2,951 Reviews
"Steppenwolf" is the profoundly memorable and affecting story of Harry Heller which embodies one of Hesse's most personally felt themes -- the wrenching conflict between the needs of the flesh and of the spirit. Awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946, Hermann Hesse commands a prominent place in the ranks of modern literature s masters.
Hardcover, Large Print, 267 pages
Published March 1st 1998 by Thorndike Press (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Steppenwolf, please sign up.

Jason I don't know, but JKR will never, as Herman Hesse did, win the Nobel Prize for Literature. Personally, I feel Bob Dylan should have never even been…moreI don't know, but JKR will never, as Herman Hesse did, win the Nobel Prize for Literature. Personally, I feel Bob Dylan should have never even been considered. Compared to the first American winner, Sinclair Lewis, Dylan is a far cry from those literary heights. (less)
Tobias196 I know you asked for someone whose mother tongue is not german but I thought I'd answer anyway (and technically I have another non-german…moreI know you asked for someone whose mother tongue is not german but I thought I'd answer anyway (and technically I have another non-german mothertongue).

For me personally it was not hard to read but I would assume that it is not easy to read unless your german is quite good. Long sentences are not a rariety, rare (or out of fashion) words are used - though not exessively and Hesse is fond of neologisms (and it can be a pain in the arse when writers use words that do technically not exist in a language one is not extremely well versed in), though mostly (or perhaps even exclusively) in the form of compound words which should be decipherable to a foreign reader aswell I would assume.

From a german perspective I would say it reads like most books, neither easy nor hard (most of the 18th/19th century classics should be harder), it does show that Hesse is well versed in litterature but his language is really accesible (his wording is unique though). As for learning german, I think depending on your immersion in the language it's doable but I would perhaps recommend something shorter (Steppenwolf is not super long but also not short) when learning the language because it's more stressfree. Even when you read a short but challenging story, you have the time to think about it afterwards and you will feel more at ease if you need to look something up in a dictionary and perhaps progress at a slow pace. I would recommend Hesse's fantastic fairy tales for that matter. (less)

Glenn Russell
Feb 27, 2014 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books

Although magic is usually not the subject of literary novels, even less so when magic involves hallucinogens, visions, dreams, and phantasmagoria, many literary novels are page-turners, filled with a compelling, straightforward storyline and lots of action; think of Our Mutual Friend and Crime and Punishment, think of Heart of Darkness and No Country for Old Men, or novels like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Hermann Hesse's novel Steppenwolf is a work of a
Rajat Ubhaykar
I read this book on a twenty four hour train journey surrounded by the bourgeois. It was a terrifying experience. The book didn't change my life and was not meant to, but it gave me hope and hope is always a good thing.

The influence of Indian spirituality on this book is apparent, but Hesse chooses to dissect it using the prism of Western pessimism. He talks about the multiplicity of the self and the infinite potential associated with it, how we often choose to attach fanciful restrictions to t
Bookdragon Sean
Hermann Hesse’s words are timeless. Here they represent an entire disaffected generation, a generation who is on the cusp of radical change but still partly exists in the old world. They are out of space and out of time: they are lost within themselves. However, such things can aptly be applied to a number of individuals across the ages. And, for me, this is what made the novel so great.

Through these pages Hesse evokes a character I have seen many times before across literature, but never befor
Paquita Maria Sanchez
May 09, 2010 Paquita Maria Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This novel:

1. Initially reminded me very much of my own mental imbalances.

2. Started to make me feel like I'd been had, and that it was, in fact, just pretentious, overly self-aware "me me me" wackoff shite.

3. Redeemed itself (AND THE NARRATOR!) in the end with its exploration of drug-induced Jungian dreamscapes and subconscious mental states.

4. Successfully summoned that strange emotion that I like to call "happysad."

5. Did not change my life forever, but did act like aloe on a sunburn for my
Lyn
Jul 31, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kurt Vonnegut, one of my literary heroes, said of Hermann Hesse’s novel Steppenwolf that is was “the most profound book about homesickness ever written”. Vonnegut also went on to describe how Hesse speaks to young readers, how he speaks to the essence of youth and offers hope.

Like many readers, I first encountered Hesse as a young person, for me it was when I was in high school. Hesse’s illustration of isolation and being misunderstood spoke to me as a youth, as I imagine it has for many young p
Darwin8u
Sep 16, 2011 Darwin8u rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There are always a few such people who demand the utmost of life and yet cannot come to terms with its stupidity and crudeness.”
― Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

description

There is this bourgeoisie period in every man's life. A midpoint between birth and death where man is trapped alone. Unable to exist in the hot or cold of the absolutes he tries to find his way between the extremes in the comfortable center. Fearing life and death, he just |exists| ... barely. This is not a novel for the young. Just like i
Jenn(ifer)
Um. What the? What?

What the hell did I just read?

First third, BRILLIANT -- one of the most interesting bits of philosophical fiction I've ever read. Seriously. I was completely enthralled. Second third -- hard to believe that two people would ever actually have conversations such as these, but still engaging. Third third -- what the F*CK? No, really, what the f*ck? It was some sort of crazy funhouse reality blurring, whacked out Kubrick film. I don't know if I liked it or I hated it. My brain i
Afshar
Sep 27, 2015 Afshar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
آنچه برای شخص من جنبه لذت اشراق و تعالی دارد چیزی است که مردم دنیا حداکثر آنرا در عالم ادبیات می جویند و دوست دارند، ولی درصحنه زندگی آنرا چیزی دیوانه وار تلقی می کنند

description

و در واقع اگر حق با دنیا باشد، اگر حق با این موسیقی کافه ای، با این کِیف های دسته جمعی، با این مردم آمریکائی مآب کم ادعای قانع زود خرسند باشد، پس من دیوانه هستم، پس من واقعا همان گرگ بیابانی هستم که به خود لقب داده ام، حیوانی هستم که در دنیایی غریبه و نامفهوم راه گم کرده ام، حیوانی که به خانه و کاشانه، هوای مورد احتیاج و غذای خود د
sologdin
Likely the dumbest Important Book that I've read.

Yeah, it's cool that the narrator thinks he's a werewolf, but is really just a recluse pseudo-academic--and then reads a manuscript that describes fake werewolves and outs them as poseurs.

Cool, also, that the preface, by the manuscript's fictional finder and publisher, records the impression that the horrors of the middle ages were non-existent: "A man of the Middle Ages would detest the whole mode of our present day life as something far more th
Nikos Tsentemeidis
Συγκλονιστικό έργο. Βαθιά φιλοσοφικό και ψυχολογικό. Σε πολλά του σημεία είδα τον εαυτό μου. Δεν ξέρω γιατί αλλά μου θύμισε πολύ έντονα την πρώτη φορά που διάβασα Καμύ και συγκεκριμένα την πτώση.

Δεν έχω να γράψω κάτι, παρά να σας παραπέμψω στην κριτική της Ειρήνης που τα είπε εξαιρετικά, και εξαιτίας της διάβασα αυτό το βιβλίο και την ευχαριστώ

sweet jane
3,5 με την υπόσχεση να το ξαναδιαβασω!

Πριν πέσετε να με φάτε για την χαμηλή βαθμολογία, να σας ξεκαθαρίσω ότι δεν έχω καμία απολύτως πρόθεση να αμαυρώσω τον κλασσικό χαρακτήρα του βιβλίου. Απλά εμένα, την γλυκιά (κατά τα άλλα) Ιωάννα, δεν με τρέλανε. Αυτή είναι η αλήθεια.

Ιδού και οι λόγοι:
1. Το έργο ξεκινά νατουραλιστικα, συνεχίζει ρεαλιστικά και τελειώνει σουρεαλιστικά. Ένα βιβλίο των 300 σελίδων, όσο δεξιοτέχνης και αν είναι ο συγγραφέας του -και στην προκειμένη περίπτωση είναι-, δεν γίνεται ν
Ian "Marvin" Grayejoy
Half Bourgeois/Half Wolf

"Steppenwolf" starts with a fascinating 20 page preface that places a more conventional perspective on the rest of the novel (which is quite radical, if not exactly nihilist).

The unnamed first person narrator could be one of us. He purports to be "a middle class man, living a regular life, fond of work and punctuality, [as well as] an abstainer and non-smoker."

He gets to know the Steppenwolf, Harry Haller, while they both rent furnished rooms in his aunt's apartment.

He fi
Dan Schwent
Harry Haller fights a battle ever day against his animalistic nature, the Steppenwolf, the thing keeping him from fitting in with society. Will he conquer the Steppenwolf before it drives him to suicide?

I'd toyed with the idea of paraphrasing the opening of the 1970's Incredible Hulk TV show but it felt disrespectful to a book of this power. Steppenwolf is one of the more thought-provoking books I've ever read. I lost count of the number of times I stopped and pondered my own Steppenwolfishness.
Kirstie
Dec 25, 2007 Kirstie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in the complexity of life
I've read a few of Hesse's novels and I keep coming back to Steppenwolf time and time again. It's not as if books like Demian and Beneath the Wheel aren't worthwhile, either. It's just that there is something so grabbing and memorable about Steppenwolf. I was truly changed after I read this and I can't really say that for the majority of the books I've read.

One thing I think Hesse was obsessed with a little is the duality of life-the light and the dark side. Steppenwolf takes you to some dark ca
Owlseyes
May 20, 2014 Owlseyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german-lit, madness
Personality should be integral, some psychoanalysts suggest.

Here we have an old, solitary and independent man ruminating upon his self, or his selves; a part human, and another one wolf-like.

Is he alienated? Is it a midlife crisis? An existential one? Do those parts cooperate with each other? Or, are they set apart, conflicting?

He just had a normal, gently-killing-time day. This is how the book introduces us to this character. One hot bath, some breathing exercises, some meditation,…old-book
هنـاء آلـماضیے

يتكرر الأمر بجنائزية مرعبة.
ندفن شيئاً، نطمر أشياء.
نقف مكتوفي الأيدي حيال الكثير.
ولا نفقد الجاذبية التي تُجَمّع ذرّاتنا إلا في السر،
حيث نثق أن لا أحد.

ستبنوولف
القيوط
ذئب البراري
ذئب السهول
رواية أو سيرة ذاتية .. أقرب ما تكون لقلب هيسه فقد لمحت ذلك وهو يصف الصور التي علّقها ذلك الغريب على حائطه. لا أدري كيف شعرت بأن هذا الحائط الذي يصفه هيرمان هو حائطه الشخصي والصور حقاً صوره التي يراها بأم عينه ويسجلها بإسم ذلك الغريب .. "الذئب".
ربما لأنها كانت لغاندي وبوذا وجوته ولعلمي بأن هؤلاء بالتحديد هم من أثر ع
Steven  Godin
Nickolas the Kid
Ο Αριστοτέλης έλεγε πως για να ζήσει κανείς μόνος του πρέπει να είναι ή θηρίο ή θεός. Η μοναξιά είναι ανεξαρτησία σύμφωνα με τον Έσσε αλλά ας μην ξεχνάμε και τον Φρόυντ ο οποίος πίστευε ο πολιτισμός είναι η πηγή της δυστυχίας για τους ανθρώπους....

Ο Έσσε λοιπόν μας δίνει ένα ψυχογραφικό μυθιστόρημα το οποίο εμβαθύνει στα πιο σκοτεινά μονοπάτια της ανθρώπινης ψυχής. Ο Χάρυ δεν είναι θεός... Είναι ένας άνθρωπος ο οποίος προτιμά την μοναξιά και την ασφάλεια του σπιτιού του. Είναι όμως πραγματικά αν
Florencia

I wrote a review a couple of weeks ago and I am still not sure about sharing it. It is too personal. This book is so close to my heart and my first review reflects that; a little too much. I mean, I didn't know what to expect and it blew me away. It is a fascinating work ab
Pantelis
Oct 15, 2016 Pantelis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle-life crisis is a second adolescence. Or maybe a fifth one. At least...
Junta
Mar 29, 2015 Junta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who regret, those who have shied away from life
Recommended to Junta by: The Glass Bead Game, Florencia's review
Part 1: A relevant tabletop game (December 27, 2015): (view spoiler) ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
684. Der Steppenwolf = Steppenwolf, Herman Hesse
عنوان: گرگ بیابان؛ نویسنده: هرمان هسه؛ انتشاراتیها: بنگاه ترجمه و نشر کتاب - اساطیر، ارغوان، فردوس، علمی فرهنگی، جامی؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه ژوئن سال 1974 میلادی
عنوان: گرگ بیابان؛ هرمان هسه؛ مترجم: کیکاووس جهانداری؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، بنگاه ترجمه و نشر کتاب، چاپ دوم سال 1346 ؛ نخستین چاپ در نشر اساطیر 1368؛ در 368 ص؛ شابک: 9645960320؛ چاپ دوم 1376؛ شابک: 9645960320؛ چاپ سوم 1383؛ چاپ چهارم 1388؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، علمی فرهنگی، 1394، در سی و هشت و 346
Andrei Tamaş
Jul 23, 2014 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Recomand acest roman tuturor celor care vor să descopere infernul dinlăuntrul lor.
Mi-am propus de foarte multe ori să scriu o recenzie asupra romanului "Lupul de stepă" de Hesse. Mă obseda însă ideea că nu aș fi capabil, că nu aș putea spune tot ce aș vrea să spun, că n-aș găsi cuvintele necesare pentru a descrie această carte. Ieșind din aura ei și scriind DESPRE ea, mi-e frică de faptul că o să-i ciopârțesc valoarea (nu sunt deloc un bun sculptor).
Poate cuvintele mele de mai sus nu înseamnă n
Jenny
May 04, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Ν'αγαπάς ιδεαλιστικά και τραγικά,ω ναι,φίλε μου,αυτό ξέρεις να το κάνεις άψογα,δεν αμφιβάλλω καθόλου,σου βγάζω το καπέλο.Τώρα θα μάθεις ν'αγαπάς και λίγο πιο συνηθισμένα και ανθρώπινα."

Αυτό το βιβλίο με ανάγκασε να προβληματιστώ και να σταματήσω αρκετές φορές κατά τη διάρκεια της ανάγνωσης,είτε για να αντιγράψω αποσπάσπατα που μου άρεσαν,είτε για να σκεφτώ πάνω σ'αυτά.Είχα καιρό να αισθανθώ για ένα βιβλίο ότι ο κάθε άνθρωπος που το διαβάζει θα αποκομίσει και κάτι τελείως διαφορετικό,ότι αν βάλ
Parthiban Sekar
“Life is not an epic poem with heroic roles”

But full of sheep and wolves, forming the human life. These wolves are not “Born to be wild”, but alienated for their hunger to find the meaning in everything. For the sake of argument, I am going to singularize the pack of wolves to a single, certain wolf - STEPPENWOLF. And you are allowed to assume any arbitrary number of sheep and if required, a mama sheep can be also brought in for contentment and coziness. Well, Isn’t this how the stories have be
Peter McEllhenney
Now that I’ve reached middle age, I thought it was time to revisit that classic of earnest adolescent angst (despite the fact the novel’s hero is nearly 50 years old), Hermann Hesse’ Steppenwolf.

I found the early sections of the book dull, flat, pretentious, and swimming in its own vanity. But the later sections corrected some of these faults, and made the book interesting and worth reading overall.

My main problem with the early parts of Steppenwolf is that the novel is constantly tells us how f
Χαρά Ζ.
May 13, 2016 Χαρά Ζ. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
_Steppenwolf_

This is a great book. It really is. It is philosophical and spiritual and deep and it demands your attention while reading it. It is the kind of book that i would love and cherish and adore. But i could not connect with it. It seemed distant and i felt frustrated most of the time. I didn't have problems with it, it's just, I couldn't feel along with it. And on top of that, by the times i thought me and book started to communicate it started slipping away again. And again. And again.
Jan-Maat
Goodness what a delightfully interior novel this is, I had quite forgotten or more possibly never noticed. It was some years ago when I last read it, rather as Mark Twain allegedly said of his father, I find it much improved in the interim.

Before I reread The Glass Bead Game I was weighing up which to return to first. I think this was the better way round at least for me, I had a feeling that Harry was in want of Castalia, or that the Castalian life was developed to avoid the development of Step
Eirini D
Dec 26, 2016 Eirini D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated-lit
Ο λύκος της στέπας γεννάει στον αναγνώστη αμέτρητα ερωτήματα ενώ δίνει πολύ λιγότερες ή λιγότερο ξεκάθαρες απαντήσεις. Θα πρέπει να ζούμε, ακολουθώντας τα κοινωνικά στερεότυπα και πρότυπα, την κοινή αντίληψη και λογική που θα μας οδηγήσουν σε μια συμβατική μεν αλλά λιγότερο επώδυνη διαβίωση δε, ή όπως το πνεύμα, τα ένστικτα και η συνείδησή μας, μάς ορίζουν; Και αν επιλέξουμε να ζούμε όπως εμείς θέλουμε, πράγμα σχετικό γιατί έχουμε μεγαλώσει και γαλουχηθεί σύμφωνα με τις κοινωνικές επιταγές και ε ...more
Kaya
Mar 30, 2014 Kaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 3.5 stars, actually. Ugh, will Goodreads ever add the half star rating?

“You are willing to die, you coward, but not to live.”

It's a good book, but I don't think it can have the same influence as it have had 50 years ago. The first half is better than the second one, that is quite messy and confusing. I'm not sure what was Hesse's message, since he was extremely contradicting at times. "Steppenwolf" is simply not my cup of tea.

Harry is 47 years old, has few buddies and those friendships
  • Auto-da-Fé
  • Pan: From Lieutenant Thomas Glahn's Papers
  • The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr
  • Strenuous Life
Hermann Hesse was a German-Swiss poet, novelist, and painter. In 1946, he received the Nobel Prize in Literature. His best known works include Steppenwolf, Siddhartha, and The Glass Bead Game (also known as Magister Ludi) which explore an individual's search for spirituality outside society.

In his time, Hesse was a popular and influential author in the German-speaking world; worldwide fame only ca
More about Hermann Hesse...

“Solitude is independence. It had been my wish and with the years I had attained it. It was cold. Oh, cold enough! But it was also still, wonderfully still and vast like the cold stillness of space in which the stars revolve.” 623 likes
“You are willing to die, you coward, but not to live.” 575 likes