Start by marking “Zeke Pippin” as Want to Read:
Zeke Pippin

Zeke Pippin

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Bitterly disappointed when his family falls asleep as he plays his newfound harmonica, a spirited young pig runs away'only to undergo harrowing adventures before he, with the aid of his magical sleep-inducing harmonica, can be reunited with his loving family.
Published May 22nd 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Zeke Pippin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zeke Pippin

Josiah
Apr 26, 2010 Josiah rated it did not like it
When Zeke picks up a harmonica that has fallen into the street from off the back of a garbage wagon, he begins to practice playing the instrument, and soon finds that he is a certifiable prodigy. When he debuts his newfound skills for his family, they are all suitably impressed by his burgeoning skill, yet...they fall asleep. Right where they sit, while listening to him play.

This narcoleptic response to his music proves to be a trend when it comes to his family, and one dark night Zeke sets of
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Surprisingly I've never read any books by William Steig before, or really heard of him, although of course I've heard of his most famous creation- Shrek, but only because of the movie franchise and not the books. This is my first encounter with Steig, but it certainly won't be my last. You can tell that you're not reading typical children's book fare when on the second page Zeke is cleaning the harmonica that fell out of the garbage truck with his father's schnapps. I love that he managed to squ ...more
Candice
Apr 02, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
I have been a fan of William Steig ever since Ellen came home from the library with The Amazing Bone when whe was little. In The Amazing Bone, Pear dawdled. In this book, Zeke moseys. I do like Steig's choice of words. As Zeke moseys down the street, he finds a harmonica. After thoroughly cleaning it, he teaches himself to play, but when he plays for his family, they all fall asleep. Crushed and offended, thinking that his family does not love him, Zeke takes off on his own. There he meets with ...more
Brett Axel
Apr 06, 2013 Brett Axel rated it it was ok
We very much liked William Steig's Shrek so expected this book to be enjoyable as well. I wouls not recommend this one at all. First, the title character uses his father's schnapps to disinfect his newly found harmonica. I see no reason to introduce alcohol use to children. Next, Zeke's mother threatens to shoot herself because of what Zeke has done. Seriously, parent suicide just tossed around willy nilly. Later, three Samaritans help Zeke out and they try to rob him. Way to teach children to d ...more
Jeffrey
Jan 28, 2014 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
A magic harmonica that puts listeners to sleep and a musically gifted young pig - a most winning combination! That Steig!
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 Yarb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The picaresque tale of Zeke Pippin is stuffed to the gills with playful, musical lingo, manic plot-turns, and characters whose voices are intuitive and uproarious to read out loud. Read in the spirit in which it's written, kids of any age will dig this rollicking roller-coaster tale - a zeezly, zoozly masterpiece.
Ilana Waters
Nov 29, 2012 Ilana Waters rated it it was amazing
Loved the use of language and plays-on-words. The book *is* a little scary for the younger set, but of course, everything turns out all right for Zeke at the end.
Cana
Aug 07, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: A cute tale about a nice pig and a magic harmonica. By the author of the original Shrek. Interesting and unusual plot and storyline.
Shannon
Sep 30, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Easily my favorite William Steig book. Great language, great pictures, and the perfect final book for our Steig author study.
Lou Last
Lou Last rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
May 06, 2016
Blake
Blake rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Marilyn Olson
Marilyn Olson rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Stephanie Norris
Stephanie Norris rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Louis Daniel
Louis Daniel rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Ani Alexander
Ani Alexander marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Chia
Chia marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Kelly Coates
Kelly Coates rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...