Start by marking “What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?” as Want to Read:
What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?

What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean? (Clarice Bean #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The feisty Clarice Bean is back tackling 'the environment' in her own inimitable fashion. From trees and planets and holes in the sky, to litter bugs and eco warriors, Clarice Bean has something to say.
Published September 26th 2002 by Not Avail (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Planet Are You From, Clarice Bean?

Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutTagged by Joseph M. ChironHeart of Oak by David        CookStarlet's Web by Carla J. HannaMy Lady Love by Bridgitte Lesley
155th out of 206 books — 152 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
153rd out of 181 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

Zoltan Abbott
What planet are you from Clarice Bean? By Lauren Child.
‘In school we are learning about the planet of Earth.’
This is an amazing book – it is written from Clarice Bean’s point of view, and her voice is that of a clever 7-10 year old starting to be more aware of the world and things around her. It is very similar (and just as enchanting) as Lauren Child’s more famous Charlie and Lola stories. Clarice is a lot like Lola, though perhaps a little older.
Clarice has to ‘do’ a project on the environment
This is my first Clarice Bean book, though I loved Childs' The Princess and the Pea. Judging from the reviews, this isn't the best Clarice Bean installment, but I still enjoyed it. It is a little quirky, a little silly, and also thoughtful and interesting and promoting a message that we can all do a little something to help preserve nature. I like that the message is very pro-active rather than some of the doom-and-gloom stories that basically say our world is falling apart but give kids no real ...more
This was a book chosen by my daughter from her school library. She thought it was Charlie and Lola as the illustrations are similar.

The book is suitable for reading to a child at KS1 or for a topic book about space/earth with children who have good reading skills.

The text is integrated in with the illustrations and isn't a straight forward left-to-right reading book. This in itself has advantages and disadvantages. My daughter seemed more engaged with the book because of the visual techniques us
Giorgos Georgiou
What Planet are You From Clarice Bean is a book written by Lauren Child, which explores the themes of saving the environment and team work. The whole story is focused around protesting about a tree being cut down and at the end of the story Clarice shows us why trees are important and her project to protest against its cutting down. I like this book because all though it looks at themes of protest, the language in the book is very simple to understand. This allows for its use to begin with young ...more
Lindsey Jane
The pictures in this book are pretty cool. However, the story is rambling and difficult to read. The print is not all typed straight, which makes it a difficult read-aloud. It also has nothing to do with what the title would suggest. It is really an environmental type of book, although it offered little actual information on the environment. Seemed like a child's rambling, but not in a clever way.
Sarah Maynard
A combination of things capture the children’s interest with this book. Lauren Childs style of writing and illustrations brings a story to life. The illustrations are a mixture of drawings and real life pictures and the writing is a mixture of styles and sizes also changing shape to fit what is being spoken about.

Clarice Bean, after learning about the environment in school, now needs a project and what better than to try and save the big old tree in their road from being cut down. Clarice joined
Fatma Bodhee
Clarice has been learning about the planet of Earth in school and needs to do a project about the environment. She finds out that there are plans for the tree in her street to be chopped down. Her family sets up camp by the tree to protest against this. She is able to contribute by making posters to 'Free the Tree'. She is late for school as she has been up 'saving the planet' in her street. Her class teacher is not too happy with her but as she is in the local newspaper, she has to be believed. ...more
I must confess that I'm not a huge fan of Charlie and Lola, but I adore Clarice Bean. This is a fabulous picture book about Clarice and her family protesting to save an old tree in their street, coincidentally to Clarice's class "doing" projects on the environment. At the same as a warm depiction of Clarice's family, albeit with her caustic comments on her brother, sister and the hapless Robert Grainger from down the street, there are interesting discussion points for a Key Stage One class about ...more
Aleya Williams
I liked that this book was made from recycled objects, it goes really well with the theme of the book. I did not like hay the words were all over the pages in lots of different ways. I think that it made the book hard to read and I also think that it might be a little difficult reading to the class. But in general, I think that the book had a good story line and would keep children interested.
If you liked Maira Kahlman's "Max" Books, you will love Clarice Bean for it's similar quirky humor. I love the creativity of text style (in swirls, around illustrations.....)and Clarice Bean reminds me of the imaginitive way that a 6 or 7 yr old's mind thinks and reasons. Fun book
Kristie Oke
Clarice Bean's story is a great example for kids and teachers. Clarice sees a need and jumps in to do what she can to help. Her teacher, who is a grumpy woman, reveals to teachers how sometimes we stunt our students from doing what they are passionate about because we give such strict parameters for assignments. Clarice, without knowing it, was going far beyond the assignment and Mrs. Wilberton had trouble seeing it.

This book also has many entertaining side-notes for kids and is engaging. This
Lots of stuff in this story for kids to learn like you can travel in Australia for a squillian miles and only see kangaroos and wombats.

The questions from my daughter were unending. Fun stuff.
picked this up for the pictures (cute!) , and hated the story. it made no sense and thought it would never end.
Kathleen Dixon
A great little book - it's about environmental care and is done very cleverly and humorously for children.
2008 Jun 9

We like Clarice Bean in picture books, too.
A lot of rambling in a rude tone.
Gail Barge
This book is written in such an unusual way. The text is written all over the page and is incorporated into the illustrations. I would use this book with students who have already mastered reading and understand the concepts of print. For these students, this book could be a good book when studying the craft of the author and the structure of the writing. It is also a good book to discuss environmental science and the importance of tress in this world. An overall exciting read, different from an ...more
What I think is so cool about Lauren Child's books is the way that she formats the words on a page, what is usually so simple and straightforward becomes a swirl or loop-d-loop twirling across the page. And I simply love Clarice's observations on life in general, the things she says and the things that she chooses not to say. This book made me smile.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Child, Lauren. What Planet Are You From Clarice Bean? Cambridge, MA: Candlewick Press, 2002. Fantasy.

This book merges the text with the illustrations in a way that keeps the reader following loops and twirls to read the story. And it works for this story because it seems to fit right in with Clarice's Beans personality. This story is enjoyable to read, with it's unique structure, while informing children that they can have an impact on the world around them!
This book is about a girl who is learning about the planet earth. She is always late for work and her teacher is tired of it. One of the trees in the neighborhood is suppose to be getting cut down. Her brother wants to save the tree so he decides to stay in the tree. His family joined him but the sister ended up being late for school again. At least it was for good reason. This teaches children to go green and save the planet.
Danielle Desmarais
-Another Lauren Child book!
-Again very exciting illustrations and text.
-This character is learning about the earth in class and goes on tell about crazy facts and things she finds very interesting about the earth we live in.
-She also participates in "being an ecowarrior"
-I think it would be very entertaining for all children.

-4th Grade reading level,harder concepts to grasp and alot going on on the pages
not my favorite by Lauren Child. My little one recognized the illustration style right away and wanted to know where Lola was!

This was a book that seemed geared towards an older Lauren Child fan. My little one is only 3 so some of this was just too big for her right now. I did not take that into my star rating as that is my own personal thing - not an issue with the book.
In the same irreverent and charming writing and whimsical collage-style illustration as her "Charlie and Lola" books, Lauren Child introduces a spunky and straight-forward little lady named Clarice Bean. How could you not like a girl, who upon learning about the solar system and gravity in her class says, "Sometimes I think gravity is a pity."
*Miss Fame*
I love Lauren Child! And this book is super cute... though I'm not sure how the title tied into the story! Haha - it's a book about saving the planet and doing things that are eco-friendly. So the title and cover through me off. I thought she was going to be talking about outer space...more than just the first page.

Still, I loved it!
Kids might really like this book but as an adult, the wording, fonts, text color and sentences in a circle makes my head hurt. The story is good, and the fact that all the art in the work is from recycled magazines, newspapers or fabric is really cool. Not sure I would read this book again!!
This was a creative and interesting book. It was a bit difficult to read the text because of all the different positions it was written in, but at the same time, this would be so fun for a child to read. It is also very informational. It almost reminded me of a fun kids encyclopedia.
I thought this was a good book. It was a very good eco friendly book.

My summary,
Clarice is learning about the planet in school and has to do a project. A tree in the neighborhood is being chopped down and her brother wants to save it. She does her project on saving the tree.
This book follows the same vein as the Charlie and Lola books. It is clever but not tremendously entertaining for an adult reader—perhaps children would like it more. It talks about how to be environmentally conscious and how important it is to stand up for what you believe in.
Sydney McClure
The book focuses on the environment and what people can do to protect it. The illustrations and the words are interactive because they are all over the pages. This has a lot of information in it for little kids to understand about the earth.
  • Smash! Crash!
  • The Storyteller's Candle/La velita de los cuentos
  • Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears
  • Gleam and Glow
  • A Book
  • Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big
  • Togo
  • What Time Is It, Mr. Crocodile?
  • The Pot That Juan Built
  • Madlenka
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Yucky Worms
  • I'll Save You Bobo!
  • Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story
  • Thunder-Boomer!
  • Princess Hyacinth: The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree ...more
More about Lauren Child...

Clarice Bean (7 books)
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • My Uncle Is a Hunkle, Says Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean, Guess Who's Babysitting?
  • Utterly Me, Clarice Bean
  • Clarice Bean Spells Trouble
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)