Start by marking “T.S. Eliot Reads: Four Quartets/The Waste Land/The Hollow Men & Other of His Poems (Great Voices of the 20th Century)” as Want to Read:

Eliot reads The Four Quartets, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men & some of his other poems. "It is always something of a revelation to listen to a poet reading his or her own words, & this is no exception. Eliot clearly & evenly characterizes & reveals the voices of some of his most important works in this excellent reading."--Library Journal
audio cassette, 0 pages
Published February 1st 1992 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about T.S. Eliot Reads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about T.S. Eliot Reads

Elfortunawe
~~~On First Reading~~~[return][return]There's not much to be said about these poems on first reading. For the most part they're too cryptic to be properly understood right off the bat, with one exception being "Journey of the Magi".[return][return]"Journey of the Magi" is a monologue, assumedly from one of the famous Magi from the East who came looking for Jesus in the wake of a star. Basically (and I say this with a reserve of irony, since Eliot's poetry can hardly be described as basic) it con ...more
S.P.
Jul 23, 2008 S.P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
His poems are fantastic on paper, even better read aloud, and absolutely perfect when read by Eliot himself. Whether you want to or not, after listening to Eliot read his work, you will hear his voice in your head every time you read his poems in the future. This recording of "Prufrock" is particularly well-done.
Dcbk
Dec 27, 2016 Dcbk rated it really liked it
A book of poetry ~ check
Fiona
Jun 13, 2011 Fiona rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-year
In the poem, a bunch of Hollow Men are like scarecrows leaning towards each other. Everything about them is dry, including their voices and their bodies. The things they say and do are meaningless. They were too timid and cowardly to commit the violent acts They have not crossed over the River Styx to make it to either Heaven or Hell. The people who have gone to heaven of hell remember these guys as "hollow men." One hollow man is afraid to look at people who made it to "death's dream kingdom" ...more
Cherie
Jan 29, 2014 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-audio
I really enjoyed these TS Eliot poems read by Sir Alec Guinness. I have been listening to the tapes over and over. It is not enough, nor even fair, to listen only once. Each time the lines are read, I hear something different. I tune into the cadence or the seperate words jump out and really highlight one line or a group of lines from another.

Poems on CD or Audio tape cannot be listened to only once, no more than they can only be read in their printed form only once.

I liked the Four Quartetes
Auttajahai
Oct 17, 2015 Auttajahai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yliopistoilailua
"(tule tänne punaisen kallion varjoon)
niin näytän sinulle jotakin toisenkaltaista
kuin varjon, joka harppoo takanasi aamulla,
ja varjon, joka kasvaa kohdatakseen sinut illalla;
minä näytän sinulle ahdistuksen kourallisesta tomua."
Erica
Mar 04, 2008 Erica rated it really liked it
Love it, though Eliot's voice is almost terrifying. But it certainly adds to the intensity of his poetry, and man, I love his poetry! Sometimes, he is too monotone for me, and drab-sounding in these recordings. Interesting stuff, if you are an Eliot fan.
Sharon
Aug 16, 2007 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, fiction
It's always a pleasure to read such a talented poet, but, for some reason, I like the Wasteland better than several pieces of the Four Quartets. The Quartets are crafted, but seem tame and forced in places.
Geoff
Sep 24, 2007 Geoff rated it really liked it
When I was a freshman in college I used to listen to this cassette all the time. What a total weirdo I was/am.
Emma
Nov 13, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to Eliot read his epic and thought provoking poems brings entirely new levels of meaning to phrases that aren't necessarily in the text alone.
Dennis
May 28, 2007 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, religion
Perfect listening for making candles in a cabin in the woods. This may be the only audio that I add to my list, but you've gotta hear Eliot in his own voice.
Must read-3
Accessible-3
Emily Smith
spoken word is powerful, and Eliot knows how to read words in a way to make you think. Because you can't have the author with you always, you need to hear him read these poems at least once.
Francisco
Feb 19, 2007 Francisco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poesia, ingleses
Gran, gran poesía. Brillante, magistral, amarga... Reflexión árida y lúcida sobre la condición humana, sobre una sociedad entrópica, sobre la religión y la cultura... Magistral.
Leighann
Feb 17, 2009 Leighann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only read a couple of these poems, The Hollow Men and The Hippopotamus. But I give these poems 5 stars - The Hollow Men refers to the Character Kurtz from Conrads Heart of Darkness.
Ellie Red
Ellie Red rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2013
Ann Swindell
Ann Swindell rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Kara
Kara rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
Maria Illich
Maria Illich rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2008
Natee Lorvangchay
Natee Lorvangchay rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2007
Lilian
Lilian rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Aleen Bradley
Aleen Bradley rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2007
Elizabeth
Feb 25, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Re-read "The Four Quartets." These poems are windows to my soul.
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was ok
May 24, 2011
scherzo♫
scherzo♫ rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
Thomas Armstrong
Thomas Armstrong rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Randall Gwin
Randall Gwin rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Apryl Skies
Apryl Skies rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2011
Paul Møyer
Paul Møyer rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2012
  • Celtic Mythology
  • The Conqueror
  • Stet: An Editor's Life
  • Limits of Language: Almost Everything You Didn't Know You Didn't Know about Language and Languages
  • New and Selected Poems, 1974-1994
  • The Crock of Gold (Revised Edition)
  • The Diary of a Man of Fifty
  • T.S. Eliot
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • Quest for Kim: In Search of Kipling's Great Game
  • The Raga Guide: A Survey Of 74 Hindustani Ragas
  • Summer People
  • From Modernism to Postmodernism: An Anthology
  • General Prologue To The Canterbury Tales
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ ...more
More about T.S. Eliot...

“For I have known them all already, known them all -
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
So how should I presume?

And I have known the eyes already, known them all -
The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?”
25 likes
“He, the young man carbuncular, arrives,
A small house agent's clerk, with one bold stare,
One of the low on whom assurance sits
As a silk hat on a Bradford millionaire.”
2 likes