Start by marking “Lily and the Paper Man” as Want to Read:
Lily and the Paper Man

Lily and the Paper Man

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Walking with her mother on the way home from school one day, Lily runs straight into a gruff and untidy-looking man selling papers on the street. Frightened, Lily insists on taking the bus home every day for fear she will run into him again. But when the weather turns cold, Lily starts to see the Paper Man differently; she sees his bare toes through the holes in his boots ...more
Published 2007 by Second Story Press

To ask other readers questions about Lily and the Paper Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily and the Paper Man

Lisa Vegan
Nov 30, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to teach/discuss empathy, for discussion on how children/one person can make a difference
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is the story of Lily, a young empathetic girl, who is first afraid of the poverty stricken and likely homeless neighborhood paper man, then notices his condition, and with great generosity figures out how she can help and, with a bit of help from her parents, implements her plan. People who meet/know Lily will feel proud of her and like her.

I do have to say that while I did really like this book, I also feel like a curmudgeon, Scrooge, and a kill joy wrapped up into one. One of my pet peeve
Terry
Sep 17, 2008 Terry added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: pb-fiction
Like Lily, our daughter was put off by the Paper Man. It took quite a bit of encouragement for her to read this story with us. After several attempts, we just started reading and eventually she sat down beside us. When we finished, she wanted to immediately read it again, trading in a new book to read this a second time. We have read this book a lot since then.

his is an exceptional story. It effectively introduces personal hardship, empathy, and kindness without overplaying any one of those the
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Lily lives in a neighborhood where everyone is friendly and familiar. But that all changes when she crashes straight into a homeless man selling newspapers on the street. Terrified by his bedraggled appearance and growling voice, Lily avoids him from that day on…until the first snow fall. Then Lily starts to notice just how cold he looks in the icy winter air, shuffling from foot-to-foot with his bright red ears and thin, torn clothes, and slowly she realizes that she can do something to help. I ...more
Taina
Jun 29, 2014 Taina added it
Shelves: social-justice
This book shows a fear of the unknown and overcoming that to find understanding, compassion and empathy. It teaches students to keep an open mind and see people for humans. It also brings up the idea of activism. Lily sees something unjust and comes up with a plan to help fix it.
Holly
Really engaging and age appropriate book about homelessness. It easily passes my I-can-read-it-ten-times-aloud (hmm, new acronym? Acritta?) bar, and brought me to tears the first time I read it to my 3-1/2 year old. The illustrations are lovely. I don't my daughter yet understands the class issues, or exactly what homelessness is, but the first time we read it, she was spurred to ask interesting questions about why someone wouldn't have a home (and, uncomfortably for us grown-ups, why they don't ...more
Tricia
Lily is frightened by the gruff looking and shabbily dressed man who sells papers on their street. As fall changes into winter and she realizes that the man doesn't have adequate clothing for the cold, she gets an idea on how she can make a difference. This book is a good discussion starter about homeless or others less fortunate to help children understand compassion and generosity toward others.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Fall rain surrenders to vividly blustering snow as a young girl thinks her way from fear through curiosity, empathy and finally into action in this heartwarming tale of hardship and humanity.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Maureen
Great book. Made me cry. My son loved it.
Dawn
Dawn added it
Oct 21, 2014
Tod
Tod added it
Oct 10, 2014
Suegol Malek
Suegol Malek marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Jan 30, 2014
Jennpower
Jennpower marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
When Rebecca was small, her family's television blew up and her parents decided not to replace it. Instead they filled the house with books...so it's not entirely surprising that Rebecca developed a love of reading and writing her own stories.

More about Rebecca Upjohn...
The Secret of the Village Fool The Last Loon Patrick's Wish