Start by marking “Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One” as Want to Read:
Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One

Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One (The Pain and the Great One #4)

THE PAIN AND the Great One are going places! In these new stories the kids are on the go—the Pain needs a trip to the emergency room; the family goes to the mall and not everyone stays together; the kids visit a county fair and want to ride the Super Slide; and a beach outing includes a boogie board. Lots more action and adventure for the dynamic duo who never stay still.
Published August 12th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One

(NS) Becca
Oct 29, 2009 (NS) Becca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: realistic-fict
I have always been a tremendous fan of Judy Blume and was pleased to find this new series that was out about the Pain and the Great One. It's a great transitional novel for children looking for more advanced books than picture books. It is probably recommended for 1-3 grades. I love how the characters are two siblings who encounter everyday problems (fear of the ocean, wanting to go on carnival rides, etc.). Blume cleverly alternates point of view each chapter between the siblings and even touch ...more
Natalie
You know how people do things specifically because they think that's what they have to do to be a good parent? Despite the fact that the book was about a 1st grader and 3rd grader AND the font was big, I read every single page. I couldn't quite deal with the idea of releasing a Judy Blume book without being sure she didn't sneak in some sort of Are You There God, It's Me Margaret kind of thing :-)

She didn't. This was 7 short stories about a brother and sister who annoy each other but still love
Jackie
Mar 17, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siblings, Jake (the Pain) and Abigail (the Great One) are at odds nearly constantly, in every activity that the family does, but when push comes to shove, they really do stand by each and stick up for one another. Full of zany, quirky characters and a sassy, irreverent dialogue, Going, Going, Gone1 with the Pain and the Great One is quintessential Judy Blume at its humorous best.
Maximilian Lee
Jun 25, 2017 Maximilian Lee rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I like surfing. I also liked this book because I liked the part when the pain scared his grandma with his mask.
Fluxbrarian
Oct 29, 2008 Fluxbrarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary
First grader Jake (aka The Pain) and third grader Abigail (aka The Great One) are back in their third early chapter book. This time they are going places – to the beach, the county fair, the emergency room, the mall, and the Everglades. Whether it’s The Pain getting a pussywillow stuck in his nose or The Great One wearing her cowboy boots as protection from alligators, the stories are told with plenty of humor. Focusing on slice of life scenarios, Blume expertly captures the mix of affection and ...more
Madison Mckenzie
Mar 22, 2012 Madison Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nick, paul
IT WAS FUNNY-AWESOME.AND THE PAIN GETS A PUSSY WILLOW STUCK UP HIS NOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Dolly
Apr 04, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a funny and sweet story (actually, it's a collection of short stories) about sibling relationships at the ages of 6 and 8. That's perfect for our girls, and although the dynamic is different in our house (with two girls instead of a girl and a boy), the love, the fights, the protectiveness, the encouragements and the competitiveness are still very much the same in many respects.

We really enjoyed reading this book together and will look for more books in this series. I loved reading Judy
Katie
I listened to this with my kids in the car. My 5 and 6 year old boys both really enjoyed it. We've also listened to Friend or Fiend, from the same series, and recommend them for ages 5+. The story is just over an hour, so not too long. (B & C -June 2011)

*Read with Jane. She enjoyed the different stories in each chapter. I am a little bored of the series though, so I'm hoping to take a break before reading her the other books. (May 2016)
Ginger Smith
Jun 11, 2013 Ginger Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, j-funny
I didn't care for this one too much. I kept getting confused about who was speaking and who was who. I didn't feel like I really got to know the characters either. In fact I read it just a couple of weeks ago and I don't even remember what it was about. I had read some Judy Blume books when I was younger, so I thought this would be just as good. Boy, was I disappointed!
Liz
Feb 09, 2014 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
These are pretty simple chapter books. I did find this one humorous with the emergency room visit as well as losing the Pain in the mall. What parent doesn't have those nightmares?!?! I am finding that I really enjoy Fluzzy's chapter the most and I look forward to getting to the end of the Pain and the Great Ones stories to read what Fluzzy was thinking/doing.
Shahrun
This is a collection of short stories about a Brother (The Pain) & his Sister (The Great One). Each story is narrated by one or the other of them. I think this makes it a great book for either sex child because they can relate to it and also get to see things from another perspective. It also has cool illustrations all the way throughout. I love the final chapter by Fluzzy too.
Mehreen
Sep 08, 2015 Mehreen rated it liked it
I have yet to read the original Pain & Great One but I am enjoying the series. This one teaches a lot about sticking things in places they don't belong, compromise, and facing your fears. It also teaches a lesson in using the bathroom before getting on a long line and losing your tickets to a bunch of swindlers! Cute read, just like the others.
B
Jaclyn
Dec 17, 2010 Jaclyn rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorite Judy Blume titles. I love the original picture book "The Pain and the Great One" but I have to agree with the kids in my 3rd & 4th grade discussion group; she should have stopped at the one story. This one just isn't that funny or memorable.
David
Dec 06, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cadl, kids
We're really enjoying this book. The Pain is the same age as our grandson. Grandson and I can both identify with The Pain's troubles and antics. Great book. We'll definitely read others in the series.
Morgan
Nov 27, 2015 Morgan rated it liked it
Good to read quickly at night.
Stacie
Oct 08, 2016 Stacie rated it liked it
Love reading the troubles the Pain and the Great one get into. A easy read for children with rewarding lessons. My favorite was the compromise and getting lost story.
Nicole
Jun 22, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
Cynthia read it to me! Laughed out loud together!
Kaymcwilly
May 25, 2013 Kaymcwilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2013
Good book
Andrea Labonte
Oct 22, 2014 Andrea Labonte rated it it was ok
Shelves: juv
Couldn't finish it so i will try again soon.
Emi Wallner
Aug 22, 2009 Emi Wallner rated it it was amazing
It was a good book that had lots of little adventures in it and was very addicting once you read at least one page you can't stop!
Brandi
A series of slice-of-life short stories about a brother, the Pain, and his older sister, the Great One, going places--the emergency room, the fair, the beach, and more. Good for transitional readers.
Janey
Jun 05, 2010 Janey rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING SO FAR!
AnnaMay
Aug 23, 2011 AnnaMay rated it it was amazing
It was so funny because of the funny adventures and messes they get themselves in!
Sandra Pedicini
Oct 07, 2013 Sandra Pedicini rated it did not like it
I used to love Judy Blume when I was a kid. But apparently she has jumped the shark with this Pain and the Great One series. Nothing compelling in here.
Mar 15, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I like how they have different views.
Lolly
Jul 30, 2011 Lolly rated it really liked it
A perfect read with the kids. The siblings are entertaining for all listeners, and the plot centered perfectly on those things that fill up our days (especially arguments).
Julian
Sep 21, 2009 Julian rated it it was amazing
I like this author a lot. I liked how this book ended with the cat - it was humorus.
Taylor
Jul 29, 2009 Taylor rated it liked it
Shelves: funny
Funny, Brother and Sister relationship.
Kristen Gurri
Love the chapter at the end by the cat.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Two Times the Fun
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Stuart's Cape
  • The Blue Ghost
  • Horrible Harry Goes Cuckoo
  • On My Way (26 Fairmount Avenue Book, #3)
  • Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School
  • Class President
  • The Trolls
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog: Charlie's New Friend
  • Be Careful What You Sniff For (Magic Bone, #1)
  • Camping Catastrophe (Ready, Freddy!, #14)
  • Who Is Stealing the 12 Days of Christmas?
  • The Story of Harriet Tubman: Conductor of the Underground Railroad
  • Hey World, Here I Am!
  • Mr. Putter  Tabby Drop the Ball
  • Fear Itself (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #2)
  • Gooney Bird Is So Absurd
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
More about Judy Blume...

The Pain and the Great One (5 books)
  • The Pain and the Great One