Start by marking “The Cloud Book” as Want to Read:

The Cloud Book

The ten most common clouds along with related myths and popular weather sayings.
Published January 1st 1975 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Cloud Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cloud Book

Jessica
Jan 11, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
When I was presented with a month long curriculum on weather I knew that I needed to find an interesting book for my kids. Working with first graders means that every single book I read to them needs to be bright, vivid and intriguing or well...they have short attention spans, you get the gist!

Of course when I found out that Tommie DePaola had a book about clouds, I snagged it! My kids have previous experience with his books and they love the illustrations. The best part about The Cloud Book is
midnightfaerie
Aug 20, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Although usually we're a big fan of Tomie de Paola, this book was a little boring for us. Learning about clouds was fun, but quickly goes into the names of several clouds that were long, difficult to pronounce, and all very similar sounding, which made even my mind drift. The pictures and cute little side tidbits at the bottom of the pages are the only thing that brought me and my children back. Perhaps when their a little older (5 yrs old and 3 yrs) they'll find it more engaging. But for now, i ...more
Kay
Dec 20, 2016 Kay rated it did not like it
honestly i dont get this book. its geared towards young kids but them gets super complicated and technical immediately. and the fact that its illustrated made it hard to distinguish between cloud types. and for esl kids? forget it. it should have been a picture book with photographs, not drawings. how many ways can you draw a white blob? apparently 1.
Aleksandra
This is an example of informational book because it contains information on the different types of clouds (cirrus, cumulus, stratus, and other combinations of these three main types). The cloud types are described and presented with illustrated examples. Illustrations are not completely accurate, but drawn in dePaola’s recognizable style as is appropriate for a picture-book. The author also lists objects that are similar to certain cloud types (like cauliflower for cumulus.) The book includes my ...more
Meshi Zilberstein
Jun 06, 2016 Meshi Zilberstein marked it as to-read
Shelves: informational

This book has not received any awards.

This book is appropriate for grade levels: K-3

Summary
This book provides information about all of the different types of clouds, when they occur, why and how we are affected by them. Each different cloud is illustrated and comes with a description as well as a story about how the cloud is perceived and used by different people. Provided at the end is an index that allows readers to find specific information that they may be looking for about certain clouds or
Ally Copper
Tomie de Paola's "The Cloud Book" introduces young readers to the different types of clouds that they may see in the sky. From page one, it highlights the fact that science always begins with observation. First- and second-grade students will like how this book presents science facts in a straightforward way with fun pictures to accompany them. They also will like that they need only to step outside to experience the subject of this book first-hand. Cirrus, cumulus, and stratus clouds are pictur ...more
Sara Baker
Mar 12, 2014 Sara Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-8, picture-book
Summary:
This book teaches the reader all about the different types of clouds. It includes that there are three main types of clouds, the cirrus, cumulus, and stratus clouds. It also, informs readers how you can tell them apart from each other. Then, it tells readers about seven other types of clouds that are based off the three main types. It also teaches children about fog and the history of what our ancestors thought about clouds.

Classroom:
The interest level for this book is grades K-3. The g
S. J.
May 29, 2013 S. J. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to S. by: My Grandparents
Most children don't really want to learn anything, mostly because learning has always seemed boring to them. This book, along with others in my childhood, showed me that learning could be just as much fun as reading books solely for fun.

The information packed in this book might be as educational to the parents as to the children. The three main types of clouds are taught, along with wonderful illustrations that help to show just what each type of cloud looks like. He then goes on to show the dif
Christina Koester
The Cloud Book by Tomie de Paola is in the genre of nonfiction and is the age group of five to eight year olds. The book is basically abut different types of clouds. The reason I rated the book the way I did because it was fun to read, but I felt for a children's book it broke down each type of cloud too much. I feel like the children would just get somewhat bored with the book because the different types of clouds are talked to much in depth. The characters in the Cloud book, were just of cloud ...more
Shawn Thrasher
One of those mid 1970s books that everyone of a certain age probably saw in their local public or elementary school library, and may (or may not) have checked out. The illustrations, like most if not all dePaola, are cute without being overly so. Nothing cloying here. if you have an inquisitive child with questions about clouds, this may not be the book for him or her though. Much of the book is devoted to naming different kinds of clouds, one page is about what clouds are made of, and some part ...more
Christina Fisher
Jul 29, 2014 Christina Fisher rated it really liked it
This book teaches the reader about the 3 main types of clouds (cirrus, status, cumulus) as well as the other variations that these clouds can become, such a cumulonimbus clouds when a storm is coming. DePaola also gives readers objects that share a similar appearance with this clouds in order to better remember them, such as cauliflower for cumulus clouds. The book goes on to share weather myths and the history of ancient people's beliefs of what certain clouds meant, etc. which students may enj ...more
Nichole
May 01, 2013 Nichole rated it really liked it
The Cloud Book by Tomie dePaola
This is a wonderful book to use in the classroom! This story introduces the concepts of clouds to students. De Paola uses humor to connect the reader to the text. The illustrations can be helpful resources to remember the different cloud shapes, names, and functions. This book is a great tool to teach young elementary students who are beginning to learn about clouds.

Here is the blurb:
A lively introduction to the fun and interesting facts about clouds — from identi
Jane G Meyer
This book is really fun, and a great resource for learning about clouds. My little one, after two pages of reading, darted out back to look at the sky. That's the best kind of reaction.

What I didn't like was that they listed all of these types of clouds: cirrus, cumulus, stratus, cirrocumulus, cirrostratus, altostratus, altocumulus, nimbostratus (don't you just want to call someone a nimbostratus?!!!), stratocumulus, and cumulonimbus in just a few pages. It was a lot of Latin, even for my ears.
Egita Gabaliņa
Dec 08, 2013 Egita Gabaliņa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: weather
The book goes into greater detail about the types of clouds, weather patterns that result from clouds, the history of what ancient peoples thought about clouds, etc.
It would make an excellent supplement to any science lesson about cloud formations. The illustrations themselves are not very exact. (They would not substitute for pictures provided in a science textbook). But they do give readers a general idea of what to look for in the sky in order to identify the various types of clouds. This pi
Siskiyou-Suzy
The Cloud Book presents information in an interesting way but good luck trying to remember any of those cloud names. On page after page, the book presents yet another confusing (similar to the other cloud names) cloud name with a short description, and I knew I would come away remembering none of it. It's a charming, interesting book . . . just don't expect to really learn anything.

Also, I admit I didn't "get" the silly cloud story at the end. It left me feeling bewildered.

(My used copy has writ
Melissa Hazelbaker
Mar 13, 2014 Melissa Hazelbaker rated it really liked it
When we taught types of clouds in class, this was our "go to" book. Tomie dePaola does a good job with the illustrations and descriptions of each cloud. He describes clouds as puffy looking like "cauliflowers" or "wide blankets of grey". On many of the pages at the bottom there are also cute little jokes that go with the page and the type of cloud being read about. We used this book and then went into an activity were we made our own cloud book, using zip loc bags and cotton balls. One of my mos ...more
Kathryn Sublett
This book could be used to introduce weather vocabulary and types of clouds. First grade would be the most appropriate age level. An integrated language arts lesson could be created by getting students to write a sentence about weather with at least three characteristics, resulting in the use of commas in a series. The pictures are a little outdated so that might interfere with student engagement, but the teacher can use enthusiasm to change that.
Amy
I find that I do not enjoy Tomie dePaola's non-fiction as much as I like the fiction. One redeeming feature of this book was the little asides in describing clouds. After cumulus clouds are described as looking like cauliflowers, there's an illustration at the bottom of the page that says "This is a cloud. This is a cauliflower." This struck me as quirky and fun. Otherwise, this book was fairly tedious.
Gaby Roman
Oct 13, 2012 Gaby Roman rated it really liked it
Shelves: weather, clouds
I really like this book, and would use it to teach about weather and the different types of clouds. This would be a great story to do an activity about clouds. I would have my students create maybe three different types of clouds out of cotton balls, and draw a picture, or write a sentence about the type of weather we would expect when we see these different clouds. This is a fantastic book to talk about clouds.
Kristen
Apr 13, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok
This uses illustrated pictures and text to give information about various cloud types and the diffrent precipitation that comes with clouds. The info was great, but I was a little disappointed with the illustrations. THere was no diversity among the people as if other races don't experience rain. And, when it discussed how Native Americans viewed clouds a lont time ago, there was rather a stereotypical illustration of them.
Lde212_06
Oct 21, 2012 Lde212_06 rated it really liked it
Tomie de Paola
Grade: 1
Content:
> Different types of clouds

This book describes the different types of clouds that can be seen. 1st graders begin to discuss the changes in water and it relates to weather. Teachers can explain to students that clouds are water in a gaseous state. The book can be read to students to illustrate and explain that different types of cloud form in certain types of weather.
Angela
A really great book to teach clouds and weather. It teaches the names and the types of clouds and the weather associated with it. It has cute rhymes travelers use the determine the weather It has idioms that have to do with cloud terminology. You could use this book for pre-k through 2nd grade.
Abi
Jan 24, 2012 Abi rated it really liked it
This is a detailed story book on clouds. It describes their color, shape, and gives names of the different cloud types. My favorite part is that it compares the different clouds to everyday things to more effectively describe what the cloud looks like. This would be age appropriate for Kindergarten or First Grade students.
Heather
I wanted to add a little "fun" into our weather study. This fell a bit flat and the kids were really bored.

It has decent explanations of clouds, but his trademark de Paola illustrations made it hard to identify actual clouds. You really need sharp, clear illustrations or photos for that.

I won't be using this again.
May 29, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This book was quite informative. I liked how Tomie mixed fun with education to give youngsters a book they would like and get some interesting tidbits out of as well. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Autumn Yoon
This book does a great job describing all the different types of clouds we can find. I love Tomie de Paola books because they remind me of my childhood, but his fiction books are a lot better!

The book does provide a TON of information on clouds, and this would be a great book to use for a science lesson on clouds. cloud types,and how they form! Great for grades 2-5.
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
This is a simple book about clouds, written in de Paola's signature comic style.

We have a collection of simple facts about clouds, some illustrations of cloud-related sayings, and a silly (very silly) cloud story.

Should hold a young child's attention fairly well, while also Educating them.
Deanna
Mar 29, 2010 Deanna rated it really liked it
This is a great book for a science lesson. In my opinion, the categories of clouds can be overwhelming. dePaola has wonderful, memorable illustrations. This is what kids need to make personal connections with complicated science.
Great book!
Candace Carr
Oct 09, 2012 Candace Carr rated it liked it
This book is a great science literature book to read to a first or second grade class. I would read it during a unit on weather to get students familiar with different types of clouds and what they indicate.
Joey Fong
Nov 20, 2011 Joey Fong rated it it was amazing
Perfect book to teach formation of clouds. It shows the different types of clouds with interesting illustrations and story plot. I've always loved Tomie dePaola's picture books. His pictures are so adorable.
  • Weather Words And What They Mean
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • One Tiny Turtle
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • The Giant Carrot
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Listening Walk
  • June 29, 1999
  • How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
  • Clouds
  • Fish is Fish
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • Chameleon Chameleon
  • Antarctic Antics: A Book of Penguin Poems
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...