3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The ten most common clouds along with related myths and popular weather sayings.
Published July 1st 1985 by Holiday House (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Cloud Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cloud Book

Jessica
When I was presented with a month long curriculum on weather I knew that I needed to find an interesting book for my kids. Working with first graders means that every single book I read to them needs to be bright, vivid and intriguing or well...they have short attention spans, you get the gist!

Of course when I found out that Tommie DePaola had a book about clouds, I snagged it! My kids have previous experience with his books and they love the illustrations. The best part about The Cloud Book is...more
midnightfaerie
Although usually we're a big fan of Tomie de Paola, this book was a little boring for us. Learning about clouds was fun, but quickly goes into the names of several clouds that were long, difficult to pronounce, and all very similar sounding, which made even my mind drift. The pictures and cute little side tidbits at the bottom of the pages are the only thing that brought me and my children back. Perhaps when their a little older (5 yrs old and 3 yrs) they'll find it more engaging. But for now, i...more
Sara Baker
Summary:
This book teaches the reader all about the different types of clouds. It includes that there are three main types of clouds, the cirrus, cumulus, and stratus clouds. It also, informs readers how you can tell them apart from each other. Then, it tells readers about seven other types of clouds that are based off the three main types. It also teaches children about fog and the history of what our ancestors thought about clouds.

Classroom:
The interest level for this book is grades K-3. The g...more
Christina Fisher
This book teaches the reader about the 3 main types of clouds (cirrus, status, cumulus) as well as the other variations that these clouds can become, such a cumulonimbus clouds when a storm is coming. DePaola also gives readers objects that share a similar appearance with this clouds in order to better remember them, such as cauliflower for cumulus clouds. The book goes on to share weather myths and the history of ancient people's beliefs of what certain clouds meant, etc. which students may enj...more
Melissa Hazelbaker
When we taught types of clouds in class, this was our "go to" book. Tomie dePaola does a good job with the illustrations and descriptions of each cloud. He describes clouds as puffy looking like "cauliflowers" or "wide blankets of grey". On many of the pages at the bottom there are also cute little jokes that go with the page and the type of cloud being read about. We used this book and then went into an activity were we made our own cloud book, using zip loc bags and cotton balls. One of my mos...more
Ally Copper
Tomie de Paola's "The Cloud Book" introduces young readers to the different types of clouds that they may see in the sky. From page one, it highlights the fact that science always begins with observation. First- and second-grade students will like how this book presents science facts in a straightforward way with fun pictures to accompany them. They also will like that they need only to step outside to experience the subject of this book first-hand. Cirrus, cumulus, and stratus clouds are pictur...more
S. J.
Most children don't really want to learn anything, mostly because learning has always seemed boring to them. This book, along with others in my childhood, showed me that learning could be just as much fun as reading books solely for fun.

The information packed in this book might be as educational to the parents as to the children. The three main types of clouds are taught, along with wonderful illustrations that help to show just what each type of cloud looks like. He then goes on to show the dif...more
Shawn Thrasher
One of those mid 1970s books that everyone of a certain age probably saw in their local public or elementary school library, and may (or may not) have checked out. The illustrations, like most if not all dePaola, are cute without being overly so. Nothing cloying here. if you have an inquisitive child with questions about clouds, this may not be the book for him or her though. Much of the book is devoted to naming different kinds of clouds, one page is about what clouds are made of, and some part...more
Fibersian
Why are there clouds? This is simple nonfiction book that answers one of the many questions little children have when exploring their world. A great introduction to nonfiction. Books give info.
Nichole
The Cloud Book by Tomie dePaola
This is a wonderful book to use in the classroom! This story introduces the concepts of clouds to students. De Paola uses humor to connect the reader to the text. The illustrations can be helpful resources to remember the different cloud shapes, names, and functions. This book is a great tool to teach young elementary students who are beginning to learn about clouds.

Here is the blurb:
A lively introduction to the fun and interesting facts about clouds — from identi...more
Jane G Meyer
This book is really fun, and a great resource for learning about clouds. My little one, after two pages of reading, darted out back to look at the sky. That's the best kind of reaction.

What I didn't like was that they listed all of these types of clouds: cirrus, cumulus, stratus, cirrocumulus, cirrostratus, altostratus, altocumulus, nimbostratus (don't you just want to call someone a nimbostratus?!!!), stratocumulus, and cumulonimbus in just a few pages. It was a lot of Latin, even for my ears....more
Patricia
To be honest, this book was so boring, we didn't even finish it, and it's only 32 pages long! Not at all what I would expect from a TDP book...
Egita Gabaliņa
The book goes into greater detail about the types of clouds, weather patterns that result from clouds, the history of what ancient peoples thought about clouds, etc.
It would make an excellent supplement to any science lesson about cloud formations. The illustrations themselves are not very exact. (They would not substitute for pictures provided in a science textbook). But they do give readers a general idea of what to look for in the sky in order to identify the various types of clouds. This pi...more
Cabdi Hindi
Jun 07, 2014 Cabdi Hindi marked it as to-read
Kathryn Sublett
This book could be used to introduce weather vocabulary and types of clouds. First grade would be the most appropriate age level. An integrated language arts lesson could be created by getting students to write a sentence about weather with at least three characteristics, resulting in the use of commas in a series. The pictures are a little outdated so that might interfere with student engagement, but the teacher can use enthusiasm to change that.
Kristen
This uses illustrated pictures and text to give information about various cloud types and the diffrent precipitation that comes with clouds. The info was great, but I was a little disappointed with the illustrations. THere was no diversity among the people as if other races don't experience rain. And, when it discussed how Native Americans viewed clouds a lont time ago, there was rather a stereotypical illustration of them.
Lde212_06
Tomie de Paola
Grade: 1
Content:
> Different types of clouds

This book describes the different types of clouds that can be seen. 1st graders begin to discuss the changes in water and it relates to weather. Teachers can explain to students that clouds are water in a gaseous state. The book can be read to students to illustrate and explain that different types of cloud form in certain types of weather.
Gaby Roman
I really like this book, and would use it to teach about weather and the different types of clouds. This would be a great story to do an activity about clouds. I would have my students create maybe three different types of clouds out of cotton balls, and draw a picture, or write a sentence about the type of weather we would expect when we see these different clouds. This is a fantastic book to talk about clouds.
Amy
I find that I do not enjoy Tomie dePaola's non-fiction as much as I like the fiction. One redeeming feature of this book was the little asides in describing clouds. After cumulus clouds are described as looking like cauliflowers, there's an illustration at the bottom of the page that says "This is a cloud. This is a cauliflower." This struck me as quirky and fun. Otherwise, this book was fairly tedious.
Autumn Yoon
This book does a great job describing all the different types of clouds we can find. I love Tomie de Paola books because they remind me of my childhood, but his fiction books are a lot better!

The book does provide a TON of information on clouds, and this would be a great book to use for a science lesson on clouds. cloud types,and how they form! Great for grades 2-5.
Heather
I wanted to add a little "fun" into our weather study. This fell a bit flat and the kids were really bored.

It has decent explanations of clouds, but his trademark de Paola illustrations made it hard to identify actual clouds. You really need sharp, clear illustrations or photos for that.

I won't be using this again.
Abi
This is a detailed story book on clouds. It describes their color, shape, and gives names of the different cloud types. My favorite part is that it compares the different clouds to everyday things to more effectively describe what the cloud looks like. This would be age appropriate for Kindergarten or First Grade students.
Snorkle
This book was quite informative. I liked how Tomie mixed fun with education to give youngsters a book they would like and get some interesting tidbits out of as well. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Angela
A really great book to teach clouds and weather. It teaches the names and the types of clouds and the weather associated with it. It has cute rhymes travelers use the determine the weather It has idioms that have to do with cloud terminology. You could use this book for pre-k through 2nd grade.
Kimberly
It was educational and once we got past the vocabulary, a fun-ish read. But this book was not up to Tomie dePaola standards in my mind. The barrage of vocabulary was far too much to remember all at once. I would need a diagram. And the story at the end - one page cartoon strip - was boring.
Connie
This is a simple book about clouds, written in de Paola's signature comic style.

We have a collection of simple facts about clouds, some illustrations of cloud-related sayings, and a silly (very silly) cloud story.

Should hold a young child's attention fairly well, while also Educating them.
Ali Lutz

The Cloud Book: This is a factual book about the different types of clouds and how they function. This would be a good read aloud book to use during a weather lesson since it provides a fun story with great pictures while also giving students information that can help them during the lesson.
Denesha Allen
This book could be used to introduce a lesson on weather, specifically on clouds. The book provides the names of the different types of clouds and it's on a level for children to understand. It integrates reading and science. I would recommend this book to be in many primary grade class libraries.
Esther
The Cloud Book is very much about clouds! It's simple but cute pictures have tons of information about what clouds are and why they exist! probably appropriate for older grades, but still a good introductory book when talking about the weather.
Genny Flett
This book talks about the ten most common clouds. For each cloud, information is given on each that goes into great detail, but it is done in a fun and creative way.

Great book to use in science when talking about weather/cloud formations.
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • If You Find a Rock
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • The Wind Blew
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • The Reason for a Flower: A Book About Flowers, Pollen, and Seeds
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
  • Counting on Frank
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • The Giant Carrot
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • If You Decide To Go To The Moon
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure....more
More about Tomie dePaola...
Strega Nona The Legend of the Bluebonnet The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush The Art Lesson Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs