Start by marking “The Prankster and the Conspiracy: The Story of Kerry Thornley and How He Met Oswald and Inspired the Counterculture” as Want to Read:

One of the 1960s counterculture's most fascinating characters was Kerry Wendell Thornley -- a writer, philosopher, Zen dishwasher, enlightened prankster, and, possibly, an Oswald double with disturbing ties to the Kennedy assassination. A lifelong provocateur, Thornley was linked to many of the fringe elements of the time. He helped create the spoof religion called the Dis ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Paraview Press

To ask other readers questions about The Prankster and the Conspiracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prankster and the Conspiracy

Anita Dalton
No matter what your opinion is of the JFK assassination, or even Thornley’s role in it, it is safe to assert that the madness and paranoia that plagued him in his later life was sparked in no small part by those who were either involved in the assassination or used the assassination to push their personal agenda. He started off as a sparkling trickster and died sick and paranoid, a very sad ending to be sure. I think this was one of the finer biographies and conspiracy books I have read in a whi ...more
Mike
Oct 27, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating! If you're into the 60s, Robert Anton Wilson, Discordianism, or even JFK you should read this book.
Adam Clark
Aug 13, 2014 Adam Clark rated it it was amazing
When I first read the ‘Illuminatus!’ trilogy back in the early 80s, I assumed that Discordianism was a fictional religion invented by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea for the books. As I read more Wilson I discovered Discordianism was real, and later on I even found a copy of Principia Discordia in the (now long-gone) wonderful Compendium Books in Camden.

I bought ‘The Idle Warriors’ and ‘Zenarchy’ when these were finally published in the early 90s, and even wrote to Thornley once in the mid 9
Fishface
Sep 15, 2012 Fishface rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read about a great American religious leader. What a fascinating life -- just as the jacket copy warned me, it was both tragic and hilarious. Brings back the paranoid flavor of the Sixties in all its pot-addled glory. Not to be missed for any Discordian, student of the counterculture or fnord.
Paul
Jul 19, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
Interesting biography of this important underground cult figure. It gets bogged down somewhat in the section dealing with the Kennedy assasination, but there is good detail about Thornley's links to Lee Harvey Oswald.
Stacey
Feb 08, 2013 Stacey added it
Eh.
Brad Justice
Jan 14, 2016 Brad Justice rated it it was ok
I guess I have moved on, really used to love reading this kind of thing; strange, esoteric, counter-culture. Kind of skimmed through the end as I went. So it gose.
Flipofacoin16
Flipofacoin16 rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Toff Philippo
Toff Philippo rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
G
G rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Decker
Decker rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2010
Chus Bruno
Chus Bruno rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Neil Duff-Howie
Neil Duff-Howie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2010
C
C rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Kyleigh
Kyleigh rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Jesse K
Jesse K rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2010
Otis
Otis rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Fnordboy
Fnordboy rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2009
Sajki
Sajki rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Melancton Hawks
Melancton Hawks rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2010
Lanie
Lanie rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2016
American author focussing on pananormal topics and conspiracy theories.

Gorightly has proclaimed himself to be a "crackpot historian" articles of him have been published in several underground magazines.
More about Adam Gorightly...