Start by marking “The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life” as Want to Read:
The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life

The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  4,714 Ratings  ·  233 Reviews
Every life is a book of secrets, ready to be opened. The secret of perfect love is found there, along with the secrets of healing, compassion, faith, and the most elusive one of all: who we really are. We are still mysteries to ourselves, despite the proximity of these answers, and what we most long to know remains lodged deep inside.

We all want to know how to find a soul
Hardcover, Large Print, 384 pages
Published September 28th 2004 by Random House Large Print (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Secrets

Xavier Guillaume
Feb 10, 2012 Xavier Guillaume rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to let go of pain, those who want to accept death
This is not one of those books you can just read once and take all you need to know from it. You really would have to read this book several times to fully understand what Deepak Chopra is saying because the book is just so jam-packed with information on basically everything: how to bring unity to your life, how to remove suffering from your life, how the Universe works, what the meaning of life is, how our standard notion of evil is an illusion, how to understand time, and how to come to terms ...more
Oswald
Oct 20, 2008 Oswald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a self-help book, but it truly teaches you how to be in a perpetual positive mode. It teaches you how to not sweat the little things in life. These are my favorite quotes from this book:

"Transformation means radical change of form, the way a caterpillar transforms into a butterfly. In human terms, it means turning fear, aggression, doubt, insecurity, hatred, and emptiness into their opposites".

"Your purpose in life is to help creation to expand and grow".

"Every cell in your body agree
Jacqueline
Apr 13, 2011 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life. Deepak Chopra shows you an entirely new way of thinking and I'm so excited to read other books of his. He teaches you a new appreciation for life, different ways to turn all of the negatives into positives. His writing is very intense and I often had to go back and read sentences several times before I felt like I fully grasped the concept he was trying to make. I definitely think this is a must read for anyone who doesn't realize their full potential. It gave me an en ...more
Alicia
Apr 11, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-stack
I often wonder why people read and I imagine there are many reasons. I know for myself I'm often selfish about it. I look for the aha moment and those things I see in myself, the answers to my own personal questions. Sometimes it's no more than the entertainment value. More often than not I don't give the author much thought as I move to the next read. This book, this author is different. Deepak Chopra gives generously of himself. The words ring true to being his own deeply felt beliefs and the ...more
Lindsay
Jan 23, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deepak Chopra devotees
This book, like many "new age" books, law of attraction books, self-help books, or whatever name you want to use for them, did not add anything new to the book world. It did not even say things in a unique or different way. In fact, this book is written as if Chopra is trying to sound better than the reader. I have a degree in physics and years of reading these types of books, and even I could barely follow what he was saying - not because I didn't understand, but because it seemed he was trying ...more
Julie Laporte
Feb 07, 2010 Julie Laporte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Deepak Chopra...which seems odd since I've been wanting to read him for at least 10 years! I must say, I'm hooked! I love that he's an MD as well, as he speaks my language! I love when scientists back up their spirituality thus. I read this book as I fell asleep each night and had the most fantastic of dreams, and woke up feeling wonderful! The content didn't contain much new information for me, but it was told in a great way that helped remind me of what I be ...more
Stefani Akins
Aug 22, 2014 Stefani Akins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It all began when I recently joined a group meditation with Deepak Chopra. I'd heard the name, of course, and seen his books in the bookshop, but never really had the desire to pick any of them up. The message just didn't seem for me. Meditation, on the other hand, is something I've long known would be good to pursue, as a way to calm the anxious mind and "get over myself", as it were. Surprisingly, Mr Chopra really appealed to me with his demeanor and lack of pretentiousness. If I had to pick a ...more
Beth Oppenheim
Jul 05, 2012 Beth Oppenheim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. I think that Deepak's writing style is a bit challenging, but the ideas are all there - finding the strength to push through the bullshit and see who you really are. Some of the things I particularly liked about it:
- The bullet point format of each chapter made it easy to figure out the concepts (which are, by default, a bit cerebral)
- The stories about Chopra's life, particularly the description of the death of his father, were very compelling. I wanted more of them, and thi
Deuce Cartier
Jul 30, 2013 Deuce Cartier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given the amount of information in this book I expect to read it several times again. Essentially, I intend to study it, not only for review but also to check the validity of certain parts. There are things stated in this book that I'm skeptical about, for example Deepak's endorsments of several Hindu beliefs and ideologies.

Nonetheless, even with the more doubtful parts taken in consideration the overall benefits in thought, concious, and ideas that I walked away with made the read worth the ef
Heather
I thought this book was a little hard to get into, and some sections I appreciated more than others. Overall I enjoyed the book.

My favorite section was on decision making....

"If you obsess over whether you are making the right decision, you are basically assuming that the universe will reward you for one thing and punish you for another...This isnt a correct assumption because the universe is flexible - it adapts to every decision you make."

"Who you are is far more than any single choice you hav
Krisztina
Mar 28, 2016 Krisztina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the followings were my favourites:
"If you look carefully at the critical turning points in your life, you’ll see how closely you were paying attention to the evolutionary game.
BEING IN THE DHARMA
• You were ready to move forward. The experience of your old reality was worn out and ready for change.
• You were ready to pay attention. When the opportunity arrived, you noticed it and took the necessary leap.
• The environment supported you. When you moved forward, events fell into place to ensure that
Neil Mudde
When reading anything bt Deepak Chopra, one needs to be prepared for some of his "new age" visions and ideas the book claims to "unlock the hidden dimensions of your life"
Much in the book is common sense, other things need to be taken with a grain of salt.
His writing is always interesting, as there are always some thoughts he writes about, which make a bit of sense, and is nothing mysterious, simply taking care of oneself in every aspect of life, taking care of your health by what you eat, exerc
Intikhab
Aug 19, 2013 Intikhab rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Deepak Chopra is a great author and master communicator. He knows the topic he is talking about, spiritualism, self development, discipline, and what it takes to find meaning of one's life. I had great expectations from the book. I won't say The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life fell short of fulfilling my expectations because of its inadequacies. It has got more to do with my inability to find much of my interest in it. His style is simple, easy to understand, and cl ...more
Michelle Macluckie
This book was amazing. Its life changing advice and thought provoking words really moved me.
MizzSandie
This book really got me meditating about life.

I found myself having to stop several times and just really think about what was being said and how that was reflected in or meaningful in relation to my life.

I was moved by this book and felt it was a window that opened my eyes to existence.

And so the book actually lived up to the rather promising title.
Not all, but some dimensions of my life was revealed to me, through my own inspection, a curiosity nourished by this book and the questions and per
tracirw McClure Westbrook
This book is amazing! I love Deepak's approach to explaining life's puzzles. His writing allowed me to gain a little more mental freedom, which always feels fantastic. One of the most interesting concepts in the book dealt with transformations. In this life we are merely co-creating experiences and knowledge. We are constantly undergoing transformations not only in our self, but in the lives of those we are intimately involved with as well. My life is not only mine, it also is co-created by my h ...more
Douglas Lord
From birth, writes Chopra, humans are "taught to follow ... habits and beliefs that totally disregard the mystery of life." His latest book guides readers toward recovering that mystery through oneness of self. Fifteen titular secrets are revealed, each a mixed bag that alternates between resonant and unconvincing. The proposition that there is but a single, essential reality inside oneself is critical to understanding any of them. The sixth secret, for example, explains that suffering is caused ...more
Pradeep T
Sep 16, 2014 Pradeep T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice attempt by Chopra. He tried his best to explain things in layman terms which might have reached people to some extent. This is not those kind of books where you read and finish and forget. Nope, this must be read in slow and study manner and readers must reason with points after points to juxtapose with their lives. Certainly it is not a self help book either, rather, it is a self realization book.

Absolutely Mr. Chopra is trying to teach the Advaitha concept of Hinduism in this bo
ChaosInGa
Sep 21, 2009 ChaosInGa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book with much material to think about. I recommend reading it with a highlighter because there will be many points that you'll want to ponder later or share with others.

If you have an open mind, you may gain much insight from this book. I'm still unsure about how I feel about some of the theories/statements I've read, but I enjoyed being challenged and engaged in the process.
Emily Judds
I am on the fence about this one. There were parts that really hit me with clarity, and then there were parts that just seemed like words going around in circles. I tend to be pretty open minded about this kind of subject matter, but perhaps this was just a bit too over my head...
Bridget
Dec 12, 2010 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing about Deepak's books is that they require 100 percent of my attention. I often find myself going back to reread specific paragraphs because my mind wandered someplace else while reading. He doesn't waste any words. Each and every sentence is important!
Nouf
Jun 11, 2016 Nouf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got the feeling that I want to quote the whole book!

If you want to read one book only on self growth or development let it be this book only.

really recommend reading Chopra .. at least once in your life!
Ashley
So I thought I would enjoy this book but I didn't. It was a bit too scientific and I disagreed with a lot of what was written. Maybe I just didn't understand it. Regardless, I didn't finish the book.
Lainie
Feb 13, 2009 Lainie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful at times but also borders on pushing the limits of "being at one with the universe".. I'll update when I've finished the book if I think there's more to be said.
Manda K.
Jul 14, 2009 Manda K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is light and very easy to read. I love his style. It's helped me remember to breathe and understand the only thing i have control over is my actions.
Luis
Jan 27, 2015 Luis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, it provides a good understanding of deep concepts.
I loved it !
Amanda Leigh
I rated this book a five because I'm sure I will come back to it quite a few times to delve into the ideas given to open the mind. I read the first half of this book about six months before I finished the second half, and I feel it would've been better if I had just read it all the way through.

If someone has never read anything about spirit or the metaphysical side of being/life, then some parts of this book will be much harder to understand. The topics are somewhat obscure for anyone not into
Pat Rolston
Aug 13, 2016 Pat Rolston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very worthwhile book in spite of the off putting and overused title incorporating the "Secrets" marketing gimmick. There is something here for those interested in Buddhist thought and esoteric perspectives related to consciousness. The CD version of the book is read by the author and lends itself well to the media. The listener will benefit from lots of opportunity for self reflection and wisdom from multiple perspectives over the ages.
Harry Robinson
Deepak Chopra is an interesting author with some very illuminating points of view. I found this work consistent with many of his others; he is quite skilled at presenting difficult-to-understand concepts from a unique perspective that makes them seem quite simple.
Also like many of his books, this is somewhat of a survey work. It does not go into any great depth in any one area. I found this disappointing.
Louise Silk
Jan 26, 2015 Louise Silk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I loved this book so much that I ordered a hard copy for myself- I wonder if it will include a written copy of Deepak's meditation included at the end of the CD? It really put all of the idea's together into an experiential experience. This book tells the secrets without all of the rhetoric- quite a feat!

Find a great outline of the book here: http://www.peace.ca/bookofsecrets.htm
  • 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • The Power of Praying: Help for a Woman's Journey Through Life
  • Unfinished Business: What the Dead Can Teach Us About Life
  • Spirit Song: The Introduction of No-Eyes
  • The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • Practical Intuition
  • The Divine Matrix: Bridging Time, Space, Miracles, and Belief
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...

“If you obsess over whether you are making the right decision, you are basically assuming that the universe will reward you for one thing and punish you for another.

The universe has no fixed agenda. Once you make any decision, it works around that decision. There is no right or wrong, only a series of possibilities that shift with each thought, feeling, and action that you experience.

If this sounds too mystical, refer again to the body. Every significant vital sign- body temperature, heart rate, oxygen consumption, hormone level, brain activity, and so on- alters the moment you decide to do anything… decisions are signals telling your body, mind, and environment to move in a certain direction.”
355 likes
“No single decision you ever made has led in a straight line to where you find yourself now. You peeked down some roads and took a few steps before turning back. You followed some roads that came to a dead end and others that got lost at too many intersections. Ultimately, all roads are connected to all other roads.” 95 likes