Start by marking “Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype” as Want to Read:
Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  20,870 Ratings  ·  1,369 Reviews
Within every woman there is a wild and natural creature, a powerful force, filled with good instincts, passionate creativity, and ageless knowing. Her name is Wild Woman, but she is an endangered species. Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D., Jungian analyst and cantadora storyteller shows how women's vitality can be restored through what she calls "psychic archeological digs" ...more
Published November 27th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Women Who Run With the Wolves, please sign up.

Sandra Yes, and all of Dr. Estes' other works as well. This should be given to every young woman to read and share. She has amazing insight into the human…moreYes, and all of Dr. Estes' other works as well. This should be given to every young woman to read and share. She has amazing insight into the human condition and how to be the best you can be.(less)
Kateřina I think it's better not to hurry it up. I would recommend keeping the book lying around, reading the stories at the time they become relevant in your…moreI think it's better not to hurry it up. I would recommend keeping the book lying around, reading the stories at the time they become relevant in your life.(less)
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfThe Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
Best Feminist Books
56th out of 1,412 books — 2,026 voters
Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho1984 by George OrwellTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Books that Changed the Way You View Life
87th out of 1,976 books — 2,132 voters

More lists with this book...

Lamski Kikita
Mar 15, 2011 Lamski Kikita rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all the ladies, and some guys who can handle it
Let me just start with saying that there are two kinds of people who would NOT like this book: 1- chauvanistic men/pigs(hehe), and 2- women who are uptight with their religious and social beliefs (and the stepford housewives type).

This book is for all women, who struggled through life because of the pressures and pre-tailored expectations of their families, socieities, religious leaders, husbands, children, etc, and finally saw the light of the moon and could not fight the urge to howl (owwwwwww
Jul 01, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it
When I worked at Ballantine Books in the early to mid-1990s, this was by far the most successful book the house had ever published (it probably still is). I couldn't get over it -- this piece of shit was a runaway best-seller? Overblown, overwritten, self-important, pseudo-intellectual -- what the hell was to like? And to top it off, the author acted like a complete asshole, with personality traits that matched her book to a T. Her visits to the office were ludicrous; she used to prance around, ...more
Lilith
Jan 28, 2008 Lilith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women everywhere. And the occasional man.
Shelves: favorites
This book saved my life. I was seriously struggling with an enormous amount of class-related stress, centered around a completely unsuspected attack on my creative potential. After a few months of being shredded mentally and creatively by the people I'd expected to lean on for support and physically by the demands of moving to a new country, I was at a horrible place, alternating between periods of blind rage and near suicidal depression, and for the first time in my life I was watching my ...more
Phoebe
Aug 06, 2009 Phoebe rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
Here's the deal on this book.

1) It is all too easy to make fun or roll one's eyes or be actually pretty nasty about it, because it's obviously got a ridiculously embarassing title. I personally got the book as a cheerful joke from my dad one Christmas, and I thought to myself, "gag me!"

2) But: Once I read it, I realized how smart this book is. (Eg, I learned the ever-useful term piloerection here.) What this book is is a master-key to the pictorial language that our right brain "speaks," (via dr
missy jean
Dec 23, 2011 missy jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Jungian psychoanalytic theory applied to folktales and fairy tales from around the world. Yes? Yes.

I want to carry copies of this book around and hand them out, proselytorily, to everyone woman I encounter who feels confined, constrained, and soul-sick. This book has helped me to reconnect with my intuition, reevaluate what it means for me to live authentically, and reimagine what my life can look like when I live it wildly and freely. It really has been a gift to me.

There is lots of gender esse
Huda Yahya
على قائمة الإنتظار حتى يسمح المزاج

معرفش ليه طول مانا فاتحة الكتاب أوبرا كارمن في وداني خصوصاً الجزء ده وضحكة كارمن مسيطرة ع الموقف :D:D
نوع من التمرد الممتع ربما :P"/>

kate
Apr 03, 2009 kate rated it really liked it
I have read this book a few times. I pick it up from time to time to look over a chapter of this or that - it affected the way I think about other fables and even the movies. I am half convinced that the end of the Wedding Crashers is really about two healthy psyches driving away together into the future, married to themselves. I was rereading this book about the same time I saw that movie.

Any woman who is interested in empowering herself will be inspired. It is a jungian read on the darkest ve
Malaika
Mar 25, 2007 Malaika rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: self-improvers
I learned a lot from this book. The big ideas for me were:

1. "even if the mother vine is damaged, it doesn't mean her children are"

and

2. "it will never hurt you to go after something you want or something that is calling to you"

The books is sort of a slow-read, but I find the author generous and familiar and enjoyed the way she reconstructed women's psychology through myth.

It's good to have new (complete?) stories in my mind as well.
Saadiah
Jun 22, 2007 Saadiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Juicy and satisfying, this book is for any woman who feels an urge to connect with wild and ancient concepts of what it means to be female: messy, raw, and full of luminously passionate creative energy. If this book doesn't make you want to howl out loud, I'm not sure what will!

Chelsey Pennyamon
Another reviewer summed it up: this book's cover was misleading! I know that authors often have nothing to do with how their books are advertised, and perhaps I should have read the introduction before I bought it or something, but it *still* isn't fair that I wasted my money on a book chock-full of Jungian psychoanalysis when what is advertised and what I expected was a book about the literary and mythological archetype of the wild woman. What's worse, the book isn't so much about Jungian ...more
Rania
Feb 28, 2012 Rania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
نساء يركضن مع الذئاب ...
يُجسد هذا الكتاب فكرة سعي المرأة للتصالح مع ذاتها الوحشية، الذات الوحشية هي الكائن الحي الذي يعيش فينا، يدفعنا للتقدم و هي الروح الحارسة التي تعتني بنا، هي ما يدفعنا للقيام بالمغامرات و التحديات للقيان بالإنجازات لتي نريدها.
الذات الشافية التي تقف بجانبنا لتخلق ولادة الحياة من جديد بعد أن يحل فينا الموت " موت مرحلة ما"(دورة الحياة/الموت /الحياة، بعد كل تجربة قاسية نمر بها هناك ولادة لحياة جديدة). كلارسيا بنكولا تتخذ رواية القصة كدواء و علاج للجروح و الندوب التي مررنا بها ن
Eva St. Clair
Oct 03, 2008 Eva St. Clair rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: soul searchers, fairy tale lovers, fearless men
Recommended to Eva by: Jane St. Clair
Shelves: itwasgood
As a person who has always loved fairy tales, I read this book very slowly and carefully, enjoying every page. The author's explanations, which incorporate Jungian psychology and principles of women's intuition, enriched and deepened my appreciation for the ancient feminine and the lost art of teaching through fable, myth, and allegory.

Dr. Estes is a very effusive person, which comes across in her writing and can be at times overwhelming. She is quite incapable of using fewer than 3 synonyms st
Adrienne Stapleton
Poetry! I so enjoy Estes's use of language and imagery and the various interpretations of stories and the universal and profound themes hidden underneath the layers of seemingly simple stories. I think this book is very important for women to read, especially for women who must protect and guide their daughters. My favorite story is Sealskin, Soulskin about a young seal/woman who loses her self in someone else's dream and finally finds the courage to pursue her dream and enrich her life.
Bea Zee
Dec 01, 2014 Bea Zee rated it did not like it
Yeah yeah, the book may be seen as a cry of independence for all women out there who need to get in touch with their "wild" side.

However, my reservations:

- The author tried to say that women should be who they are, but continually portrayed one single type of women: women who had artistic urges, thick thighs and who had always felt like they were born from the wrong parents.
So, if you are a skinny archivist who had a decent childhood and no artistic talents, there's something terribly wrong with
Mounia
Sep 17, 2007 Mounia added it
Very Interesting book, have to say I had to put it down many times just because it need some deep thinking following some passages.
It linkes old cultures to the modern pshyche of women.
Incredible..I definitely recommend it!!
Mary Richert Hendrie
Every feminist/spiritual/literature/writing related teacher I've ever had has told me I should read this book, so I finally did. Frankly, it was annoying. The ideas are wonderful, but the writing is obnoxious. I didn't know what the phrase "purple prose" really meant until I read this book. She also refers to the "Rio abajo rio" frequently, and EVERY SINGLE TIME, she writes: "The rio abajo rio, the river below the rive ..." It's just not necessary. After reading 200 pages of this I wondered how ...more
Sofia
Jun 26, 2014 Sofia rated it it was amazing

For those of us who struggle with life, expectations and how to be ourselves, this is a validation, a benediction. Saying yes this is you and you are beautiful and unique just as you are.
Darth Fierce
Feb 04, 2016 Darth Fierce marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darth Fierce by: Leisa

Grace Sutachan
May 22, 2011 Grace Sutachan rated it did not like it
pfft.
Alex
Jan 14, 2009 Alex rated it it was ok
When I picked up this book, I was expecting alot more story and alot less babbling.

I was disappointed with the amount of analysis, especially since it was heavily psycho-analysis. I suppose if you went into this book wanting spiritual guidance or to revive your woman strength and feminist power, then it would be a great read.

Having taken my share of english literature courses, I didn't want to read more analysis of what it meant when this female character lusted after red shoes. I just wanted s
Kathy
Jan 19, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I bought this book years ago at a garage sale and never could get into it. Until one day I was walking past and had the urge to flip through it. I ended up reading the whole thing. I do agree with both sides of the love/hate reviews as it is hard to read and the author does seem to be a bit over the top but I read it at a time in my life that I really needed a bit of a pep talk. You really need to be mentally ready for this book.

I think this book is for people going through some issues in their
Melekser Bayraktar
Yorumu yazdım yazdım sonra silindi ve bir daha o kadar uzun uzadıya yazamayacağım için üzgünüm.Tek kelimeyle harika bir kitap okudum ve hayatım değişecek gibi hissediyorum.
Leisa
Mar 26, 2013 Leisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
I got this book around Christmas 2011 & did not touch it too deeply for almost a whole year, although I loved to look at the cover & feel it in my hands. I knew there was something in there for me, I just couldn't fathom what exactly. I didn't get into it at first because I felt the author was putting too much emphasis on male/female differentiation; it's always bothered me to think there is such a gap between sexes. I like to imagine that we are much, much closer... & more fluid ...more
Beatriz
Sep 17, 2015 Beatriz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No puedo con este libro, de verdad. Que cosa más pesada. Al principio parecía interesante, y la verdad es que el análisis de los cuentos me encanta, pero es que repite lo mismo una y otra vez, como una puta noria. Y paso.
Mar 03, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I am really loving this book, it covers so much of what I already believed in/felt (and I'm not even finished but wanted to write something even if it be incoherent) such as listening to your intuition, instincts, the life/death/life cycle knowing something good can and will arise from something bad, but reading it in such a way with folk stories followed by analyses, embellish the ideas and make them more solid in my mind and unwavering, knowing others believe the same helps and allows these ...more
Christine
Dec 02, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
I can only make it through 4 or 5 pages at a time, but find it amazing and way more relevant now at just about 40 than I did at 19 or so when it was assigned in college. I would like to meet the 40+ year old woman who does not heavily relate with much of it and just marvel at her good fortune.

At 19 it was a book of women's mythology, at 40 it is a self-help book of the best kind; helps you actually remember what you need help with, where you were going, and why. It also helps you identify forces
Arzu
Nov 09, 2015 Arzu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, inceleme, masal
bile isteye içe dönük ama dünyada olmaya yürekten kendini adayanların çok seveceği ve çok şey bulacağı bi' kitap.. içe dönme niyetinde olanlara ise güzel bi' kılavuz niteliğinde..

yanıbaşımda dursun hep, bölüm bölüm tekrar tekrar okuyayım, öncelik yakınlarımdakiler olmak üzere bütün kadınlar ve bazı erkekler okusun isterim..
Tone
Apr 28, 2008 Tone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beliefs
You can rewrite folk tales any make them more relevant to a modern audience. But you can't impress inaccurate interpretations on the original stories to try to change what they mean.

There is a low opinion of women in a lot of these stories because they were written in a time where everyone had a low opinion of women, even women.

Write for the future instead of shoehorning the past.
Debbie "DJ"
May 28, 2014 Debbie "DJ" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, how could I have forgotten reading this one quite a few years ago. It is one of the best books I have ever read!
Shaimaa Ali
Jan 23, 2016 Shaimaa Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
إلى ابنتي التى لم تأتِ بعد .. وربما لن تأتِ أبداً
سأحتفظ لها بهذا الكتاب
  • Goddesses in Everywoman
  • The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets
  • Dancing in the Flames: The Dark Goddess in the Transformation of Consciousness
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • The Feminine Face of God: The Unfolding of the Sacred in Women
  • The Language of the Goddess
  • In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development
  • The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth
  • The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling
  • At the Root of This Longing: Reconciling a Spiritual Hunger and a Feminist Thirst
  • When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • Against Our Will: Men, Women and Rape
  • Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • All Women Are Healers: A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Healing
901977
An American poet, psychoanalyst and post-trauma specialist who was raised in now nearly vanished oral and ethnic traditions. She is a first-generation American who grew up in a rural village, population 600, near the Great Lakes. Of Mexican mestiza and majority Magyar and minority Swabian tribal heritages, she comes from immigrant and refugee families who could not read or write, or who did so ...more
More about Clarissa Pinkola Estés...

“There is probably no better or more reliable measure of whether a woman has spent time in ugly duckling status at some point or all throughout her life than her inability to digest a sincere compliment. Although it could be a matter of modesty, or could be attributed to shyness- although too many serious wounds are carelessly written off as "nothing but shyness"- more often a compliment is stuttered around about because it sets up an automatic and unpleasant dialogue in the woman's mind.

If you say how lovely she is, or how beautiful her art is, or compliment anything else her soul took part in, inspired, or suffused, something in her mind says she is undeserving and you, the complimentor, are an idiot for thinking such a thing to begin with. Rather than understand that the beauty of her soul shines through when she is being herself, the woman changes the subject and effectively snatches nourishment away from the soul-self, which thrives on being acknowledged."

"I must admit, I sometimes find it useful in my practice to delineate the various typologies of personality as cats and hens and ducks and swans and so forth. If warranted, I might ask my client to assume for a moment that she is a swan who does not realzie it. Assume also for a moment that she has been brought up by or is currently surrounded by ducks.

There is nothing wrong with ducks, I assure them, or with swans. But ducks are ducks and swans are swans. Sometimes to make the point I have to move to other animal metaphors. I like to use mice. What if you were raised by the mice people? But what if you're, say, a swan. Swans and mice hate each other's food for the most part. They each think the other smells funny. They are not interested in spending time together, and if they did, one would be constantly harassing the other.

But what if you, being a swan, had to pretend you were a mouse? What if you had to pretend to be gray and furry and tiny? What you had no long snaky tail to carry in the air on tail-carrying day? What if wherever you went you tried to walk like a mouse, but you waddled instead? What if you tried to talk like a mouse, but insteade out came a honk every time? Wouldn't you be the most miserable creature in the world?

The answer is an inequivocal yes. So why, if this is all so and too true, do women keep trying to bend and fold themselves into shapes that are not theirs? I must say, from years of clinical observation of this problem, that most of the time it is not because of deep-seated masochism or a malignant dedication to self-destruction or anything of that nature. More often it is because the woman simply doesn't know any better. She is unmothered.”
387 likes
“It is worse to stay where one does not belong at all than to wander about lost for a while and looking for the psychic and soulful kinship one requires” 319 likes