Start by marking “From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)” as Want to Read:
From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)

From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  157,260 Ratings  ·  3,371 Reviews
Sookie Stackhouse has a lot on her mind. Not only is telepathic Louisiana cocktail waitress still reeling from Hurricane Katrina tragedies and the explosion at the vampire summit; she's also understandably preoccupied with the devilish disappearance of Quinn, her main squeeze.
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published April 16th 2008 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about From Dead to Worse, please sign up.

Ana I would recommend reading the previous books, since the story continues from one book to another. Jumping straight into this one would mean that you…moreI would recommend reading the previous books, since the story continues from one book to another. Jumping straight into this one would mean that you are not familiar with many of the characters and what's their relationship with Sookie.(less)

May 25, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
From Dead to Worse is the eighth book in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. After not liking the last installment overmuch (All Together Dead), I thought FDTW was a nice return to Sookie's roots and the foundation that made the series so good in the first place - Sookie being herself back home in Bon Temps, Louisiana.

This book seemed like somewhat of a transition. After the huge events of the last book and the vampire summit, this book seemed to take a breath and recover a bit.

The cast
Jamie Collins
The book was entertaining, but something is beginning to bother me about the writing as I continue with this series, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's that Sookie's inner voice is starting to sound like that of Harper Connelly, the protagonist of Harris' other paranormal series, and that's not a good thing. Like Harper, Sookie seems detached, reacting to events without really feeling anything. The shallow writing style also makes it seem as if Sookie isn't very bright. (Her S
May 17, 2008 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
NOTE: I didn't mark this review as containing spoilers, but it does discuss general plot direction. It reveals the general tone of the last half of the book. Spoiler purists may want to hold off. Most people will be fine.

A fine addition to the Sookie Stackhouse books, Dead to Worse sees Sookie dealing with the continuing aftermath of the debacle in New Orleans. Her boyfriend is still missing, the witch she picked up as a roommate is still complicating her life, her real grandfather wants to talk
May 13, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May 07, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
Julie (jjmachshev)
May 09, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
OH, OH, OH. Sookie, Sookie, Sookie. This gal just cannot catch a break! In this book, we learn a little more about where Sookie's 'gift' comes from. She finally sees Quinn again. Eric has a couple of surprises for her, and gets a big one himself. There's death, mayhem, and magic all around...and Sookie has to figure out if she can learn to accept her life in this new world of danger, insecurity, and

If you've been following Sookie's story. GO...RIGHT NOW! Stop reading and go get th
May 12, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I managed to make this book last the whole weekend, instead of staying up all night Friday with it.

This was a great installment. One of the things I love about Sookie is how real she is as a person. She can be selfish, she can make wrong decisions and feel bad for them later. She's a human being. (Well, mostly.)

Some questions were resolved in this book, and I wonder if Harris is starting to wrap up the series. I find myself hoping that's not the case, because I love spending time in Bon Temps.

Jan 26, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From Dead to Worse is the eighth Sookie Stackhouse book and, after reading it, definitely a comfort Sookie for me. Meaning, of the eight books so far, this is one I'll go back and reread when I want to feel good about things again. Right up there with numbers four and five-- Dead to the World and Dead as a Doornail. And, yes, I realize that my favorite Sookie books are also the ones with a high Eric factor. That's just the way it is. Fortunately, Ms. Harris seems to be channeling the good Eric ...more
May 15, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this one a four-star because it's C.Harris and she's amazing. Her voice is utterly unique and delightful and I love her characters. What's more, her world is very real, her vampires are interesting, and I love that she's taken all of her carefully laid-out plots and sent them topsy-turvy in the wake of Katrina. Very little has driven home the tragedy of Katrina as well as CH's last few books.

But this was clearly not a whole novel -- it was more like a handful of short story ideas
Jun 17, 2008 Gemma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
The latest in the 'Sookie Stackhouse' series, this book ties up a number of loose ends from the previous novels, and charges ahead from the first page.

I need to re-read it before I really form a strong opinion on this one. I absolutely enjoyed it, and it earns a 5/5 rating for sheer fun and fast paced plot, but the author made some decisions that I found personally disappointing, and I felt less involved in this book than I have been with the previous novels. That said, I did read it in one day
Longer than the last couple of books, better in some ways, it had multiple story lines. Sookie generally has one major issue to work through, this time she had half a dozen or so & it made the book feel a bit unfocused. Not bad & I'm glad I read it. It's fun, fluffy candy reading - very relaxing & enjoyable. It should certainly be read in order with the rest of the series.
From Dead to Worse, the eighth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, is an oddly transitory kind of book. A lot of plotlines from previous books--clear back to Book Four--get resolution of a kind, and groundwork is laid down for what will clearly be future plotlines for the series. We've got a New and Mysterious Relation of Sookie's showing up. We've got resolution on at least two Love Interest plots, and advancement on one other, possibly two. We've got new evidence that Sookie's brother is a m ...more
Jan 07, 2009 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Sookie! What's not to love. I was ecstatic when this came in the mail yesterday. I had almost forgotten that I had bought it!

I love that all the Sookie Stackhouse novels are like several stories within one novel. I know some people may feel like it makes the books seem like short stories, but I know, when one mystery get's all wrapped up in it's little complete package, and I have a coupla hundred pages left, I'm a happy girl!

Sookie is still recovering from the vampire summit and looking for
Beth F.
I liked this book so much better than the one before it and I’ve been trying to figure out why but am coming up empty-handed.

Without going overboard, this is basically what happens (mild spoilers only):
--Sookie meets some new relatives
--Quinn and his warm penis go missing
--the Debbie Pelt issue will.not.DIE!
--there’s a Were war
--a bunch of Weres die
--Amelia’s dad shows up and says some stuff
--Amelia’s mentor shows up and says some stuff
--Amelia engages in some girl-on-girl action with Pam
Celia Powell
This book could have been subtitled "How to Wind About Four Different Tiny Storylines into One Relatively Small Book and Maintain a Ridiculous Level of Detail So That Readers Can Calculate Exactly How Much Coffee My Heroine Drinks Each Day". Yes, it would have made marketing the book a bit difficult, but might have given readers a better idea of what to expect.

Sookie encounters a war in the were community, then a war between the vampires, then she breaks off her relationship, then she discovers
Oh Sookie. I finally figured out why I keep reading about you. I feel like (8 books into this) I know you so well. You are like an old friend that I can just pick up with at any point. And even though there are many things about your series that drive me crazy (the poor editing in places, the inconsistencies, the oftentimes author manipulated plotline, etc.), I can't help but root for you.

Anyway, I will continue to read about you but I'm not going to lie--I really hope your series ends one day
Rhiannon Frater
Jun 11, 2009 Rhiannon Frater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I delayed reading this book for a long time because I really disliked the last entry in the series, Altogether Dead. It almost killed the series for me for several reasons, but primarily because of Quinn and Sookie not being in her element anymore.

What I originally liked about Sookie was that despite her ablities, at heart she was a hometown girl with a low paying job and bills to pay. Her life wasn't perfect and it wasn't always easy for her to fit in with her friends and family, but she was a
This is the eighth book about Sookie Stackhouse, psychic barmaid, and it shows. There is a lot of history and a whole mess of background characters and ex-love interests clogging up the works. But the premise that made these books so popular holds true. Sookie remains a good, though far from perfect, person, and I enjoy reading her adventures from her kind-hearted but slightly catty point of view. Although Sookie's mind-reading gives her an edge in many situations, she's wildly underpowered comp ...more
Nov 30, 2009 Santi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
[Quoted from this book:]

My heart sank into my bare feet.

“The wards will hold,” Amelia was saying to herself in a rapid whisper. “The wards will hold; the wards will hold.” Bill was gazing at me with his dark eyes, thoughts flickering across his face in rapid succession. Frannie was looking vague and detached, but her eyes were fixed on the door. She’d heard the sound, too.

“Quinn’s out there with them,” I whispered to Amelia, since she was the only one in the room who hadn’t figured that out.

Nov 22, 2009 Marlo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, so far this one's better than the last one. I'm about halfway through at present. I love Pam/Amelia, Octavia, the abundance of Eric, and the fact that Quinn's missing. And although I didn't like the introduction of fey characters into the series, they're improving slightly from their origin at the outset. I am so, so tired of the weres -- I wish I could skip all the were scenes without missing important plot points (harder to do when you're listening on audiobook like I am). I'm hoping the ...more
Again Parker does a great read of another fun look at Harris' world.

Maybe it's a guy thing, but Sookie really ticked me off. (view spoiler) Still, I have to admire her for the way she keeps her cool & works through the horrors.

On to the next, book
Geraldine O'Hagan
Oct 25, 2011 Geraldine O'Hagan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Derus
May 06, 2013 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.75* of five

The Publisher Says: After the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina and the manmade explosion at the vampire summit, everyone human and otherwise is stressed, including Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who is trying to cope with the fact that her boyfriend Quinn has gone missing.

It's clear that things are changing whether the weres and vamps of her corner of Louisiana like it or not. And Sookie, Friend to the Pack and blood-bonded to Eric Northman, leader of th
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
This is where it starts to go downhill, in my view. I recall skimming a lot of this because I just wasn't interested in the werewolf politics and war. Plus, the fairy stuff comes in more and that was never my favorite part of the series. If I'm not mistaken, Quinn is just almost written off in this one until Sookie finds out where he's been. I always disliked how their relationship ended. Quinn basically chooses his family over Sookie, but the way it played out seemed like a bit of lazy writing ...more
"Men are incomprehensible assholes," I said to Amelia.
"No shit," she said. "When I was searching for Bob today, I found a female cat in the woods with kittens. And guess what? They were all black-and-white."
I really had no idea what to say...

Why did this crack me up? Bob is Amelia's boyfriend that she accidentally turned in to a cat.

kittens photo: kittens 000g052-pDK.jpg
I swear, baby, it's not what it looks like!

So, there are a lot of different storylines going on in this book, but no romance at all. That was kind of refreshing.
Joana Americano
Jul 28, 2015 Joana Americano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric 4 ever!
This was another enjoyable instalment in this series, and there were several things that surprised me.

Sookie of course ended up in mortal danger at points in this book, and she was lucky to end up alive really. There were some problems between the wolf packs, and problems between the vampires, as well as the arrival of an unexpected relative to deal with, and Sookie really did find herself in some shockingly bad situations! That being said, there were some things that surprised me, and a couple
Nov 17, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sookie was an okay character again in this one, but I didn't love her.

This was another okay read, but it took me a while to really get into it. The pacing could be quite slow, so it dragged at times.

Overall, An okay read.
Danielle Folker
This book felt like a bunch of summarized book ideas thrown all together. It wasn't bad at all. I just felt like she could have made at least 4 different books from this one. All the stories felt rushed and came to abrupt endings. Sookie seems like she is suffering from depression. She barely manages to say more than 5 words to some people. I also feel like we are being forced to accept a growing attraction between Sookie and Sam. It doesn't feel right. They barely socialize even though they wor ...more
Flufftastic. The Sookie soap opera rolls along in yet another installment. Life in Bon Temps, Louisiana, is never dull. This series is showing its longevity at this point, with an awful lot of threads to keep weaving, making this book very much a busy pattern.

Relationships are always the main focus of these novels, and lots of things shake out in this installment. Quinn gets kicked to the curb for being a mama’s boy, Alcide becomes an also-ran but gains in werewolf pack status, Bill attempts to
What do you think? 13 136 Jul 14, 2014 11:01AM
help 3 75 Jan 30, 2014 05:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #1 - From Dead to Worse 1 2 Jan 28, 2014 04:15PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: From Dead to Worse 1 4 Jan 03, 2014 10:00PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris 1 2 Jun 27, 2013 05:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: Edition of this book number wrong 3 151 May 17, 2012 02:49PM
  • Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Possession (Blood Ties, #2)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)

“I trudged back to my bedroom and pushed the door open, intending to wash my face or brush my teeth or make some stab at smoothing my hair, because I thought it might make me feel a little less trampled.
Eric was sitting on my bed, his face buried in his hands. He looked up at me as I entered, and he looked shocked. Well, no wonder, what with the very thorough takeover and traumatic changing of the guard.
Sitting here on your bed, smelling your scent,” he said in a voice so low I had to strain to hear it.
Sookie . . . I remember everything.”
Oh, hell,” I said, and went in the bathroom and shut the door. I brushed my hair and my teeth and scrubbed my face, but I had to come out. I was being as cowardly as Quinn if I didn’t face the vampire.
Eric started talking the minute I emerged. “I can’t believe I—”
Yeah, yeah, I know, loved a mere human, made all those promises, was as sweet as pie and wanted to stay with me forever,” I muttered. Surely there was a shortcut we could take through this scene.
I can’t believe I felt something so strongly and was so happy for the first time in hundreds of years,” Eric said with some dignity. “Give me some credit for that, too.”
“I want to be first. I know that’s selfish, and maybe unattainable, and maybe shallow. But I just want to come first with someone. If that’s wrong of me, so be it. I’ll be wrong. But that’s the way I feel.” (Sookie Stackhouse)” 111 likes