Start by marking “Peace Is the Way: Bringing War and Violence to an End” as Want to Read:
Peace Is the Way: Bringing War and Violence to an End

Peace Is the Way: Bringing War and Violence to an End

Deepak Chopra’s passionate new book, Peace Is the Way, was inspired by a saying from Mahatma Gandhi: “There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.†In a world where every path to peace has proved futile, the one strategy that hasn’t been tried is the way of peace itself. “We must not bring one war to an end, or thirty,†Chopra tells us, “but the idea of war its ...more
Published January 18th 2005 by Harmony (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Peace Is the Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace Is the Way

Dariel
Nov 29, 2012 Dariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am deeply moved to have been able to participate in the reading of this book, to participate in it because whoever reads this book will be so profoundly touched that they will become part of the world wide movement to peace, not just peace in the physical world, but peace in our souls. Namaste and Thank You.
Melisa
Mar 11, 2010 Melisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the Chopra books that I've read, this book is a wonderful culmination of spiritual principals and practices that he discusses in all of his books. The book was written in 2004, so many references are to the Iraq War and the September 2001 terrorist attacks. He talks about the obvious causes of violence and war between countries and groups of people, but then delves into the real reasons for such conflict. Peace on a large scale begins with inner peace within each and every person. It is t ...more
Jacqueline corkish
Loved this, it's the first of Chopra's books i have read and it certainly will not be the last.

Compassion and respect are a must for humans. We need to lose the mindset of us and them otherwise they will always be the enemy (whether that is a family member, neighbour or terrorist).

Politicians should read this and choose another career, we need to neutralise the powers that are behind our leaders until then they will never truly lead us to where we all need to be...one with each other human being
Moira
Aug 25, 2007 Moira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Excellent book on Peace, without being religious.
Armando
Dec 14, 2014 Armando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a new way of looking at life and the whole discussion of world peace and how by people bettering themselves, harmony can be achieved, this is a must-read for you.
Nathan
Dec 25, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a fan of Deepak Chopra's writing, not the overpriced meditation/self-help seminars & seminar products he hawks, and so/but I am deeply impressed with his book, "Peace is the Way", which, sadly, both of the municipal public libraries which I have possession of cards to use at, have since discarded this book, and thus, I can no longer re-read this title. I do not suspect Donald Trump had anything to do with this, however, because my first municipal library offender in question ...more
Karen Sullivan
Disappointed that he kept harping on about negative examples from Muslims when terrorist acts by Muslims make up less than 4% of global terrorism. There are plenty of examples of terrorists and fanatics from a whole lotta other walks of life.

I understand this was early post 9-11 and it's scathing enough of US policies pursued but making false statements like the majority of Muslims think... all Muslims think... was not only misleading but took away from the book's message.

What's worse is that
Carol
Feb 09, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing to hear an author read his work himself. I was touched by this book, and reinspired by the cause of peace - inner and outer. Though the political scenerio is slightly dated, Deepak's encouragement for all to take the way of peace is not. Most interesting are his comments about why various peace movements in the past have failed. It seems trite to say that peace begins with each individual on this planet, but it is the truth all the same. Any bitterness or resentment that we retain aff ...more
Nathalie Legro
Chopra dice un mundo de cosas que son ciertas, que todos deberíamos aplicar o por lo menos considerar, sin embargo creo que él también cae en un fanatismo, y no solo eso, sino además una visión del mundo bajo un lente de ilusión y palabras. Sí, la paz empieza por cada de uno de nosotros, pero para que cada uno de nosotros entienda eso se necesita mucho más que una filosofía. Pero hablando del contenido en sí del libro, es fácil de leer, muy fácil, y lleva a reflexiones personales que aunque sean ...more
Shashi
Dec 15, 2007 Shashi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been thinking about this book for over a year now.
It is a beautiful book, and I've decided that I do believe in Deepak Chopra's message,which is that we need to create peace within ourselves in order to manifest peace in the world we live in. With that said, in order to contribute to the well being of others, we have to do things daily toward that aim. Based on my own experience, I think that Deepak Chopra fans and fans of The Secret run the risk of getting so self absorbed in self improve
Dra.
Feb 10, 2008 Dra. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Buku Deepak Chopra yang anti perang. Menurutnya sudah menjadi kebiasaan pemimpin Amerika yang suka berperang. Dari penyerangan ke Afgahnistan,Kuwait, Somalia, Lebanon, Panama, Grenada, Vietnam, Laos, Kamboja, Nicaragua, Colombia dan Iraq.

Buku ini meyatakan Tuhan saja tidak menyuruh berperang dan dia berharap bangsa Amerika bisa memulai kebiasaan baru "Damai".
Krys Gut
It seems like Deepak's message generally is framed around Gandhi's various teachings, basically if you want to eliminate war, be a proponent for peace. Or in Gandhi's words, 'be the change you want to see in the world.'

The majority of the book seemed flat and fell short.

Sorry Deepak, you're incredible but this book is a pass.
Rachel
Aug 31, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has a lot of practical advice for bringing peace into one's life. I didn't give it more stars because I felt it jumped around a bit and some of the stories given were unnecessary and unbelievable. Regardless, it makes very good points on why we aren't peaceful and how we can become more in our own lives, thus having the power to change the world.
Christian Allen
Interesting information about how conflict as a whole is declining in the world. A bit soft, though, in that it advocates simply a renuncation of violence within the individual and that this is the way to peace. Unfortunately not everyone has the emotional intelligence or spiritual awareness to do this.
Ana
Apr 27, 2008 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ana by: Silvia Pena
This is a Chopra book that is easy to understand and very motivating to work for peace by starting in your hometown, at your job, at home. The biggest point of the book is to be for peace, not against war. Focus on the positive, not the negative. And remember, by raising everybody's consciousness towards peace, the world can change.
Marypoppings
Jan 28, 2014 Marypoppings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peach is certainly the way - I am convinced of this, and always have been, AND because of this book I am able to explain to others WHY peace should be the only way. It helped my back up my way of thinking about War and Violence to "politicians" and mostly men (no offense; not all men) always come up with some "smart" business savvy material answer that goes against the belief of PEACE.
Gadeer Al-Shathry
Aug 07, 2012 Gadeer Al-Shathry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the source for every peace seeker who wants to develop the awareness around the world. It includes a peace program with simple daily plans that can be shared with family, friends and every peace seeker.
Cory
May 01, 2008 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
I was taken in by the title, as I love the quote from which it was taken:

THERE IS NO WAY TO PEACE, PEACE IS THE WAY

It was pretty good, but I get more out of Buddhist and Hindu spiritual literature.
Lon
Jun 30, 2011 Lon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat predictable case for why we can and should move beyond our baser instincts for war and retribution. I found myself saying "Amen to that, Amen to that, Amen to that," when what I really wanted was something provocative that would force me to think of this in new ways.

Adithye K N
Jun 14, 2011 Adithye K N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the malayalam translation of this book...Malayalam is my mother tongue...I loved this book and especially the 7 practices for the peace...But i had some problems to read some areas...

I Thank 'peace is the way',because It helps me to find out Deepakji...
Annie
Aug 30, 2007 Annie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just bought it - bored at the airport. It is somewhat eveil that they sell heavy books at the airport...
Craig Bolton
"Peace Is the Way: Bringing War and Violence to an End (Chopra, Deepak) by Deepak Chopra (2005)"
Teressa
Oct 29, 2010 Teressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be priority reading for all of humanity. If we could all wrap our minds around these concepts, what a wonderful world this would be.
Cory Gimmestad
Feb 28, 2008 Cory Gimmestad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hear Chopra is fairly direct but I'll let you all know. I've started this book once before and got sidetracked but frmo what I remember it was intense.
Elaine
Jan 08, 2010 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must read! The way of peace must start from us...
Ldamartin
Jun 02, 2009 Ldamartin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone on the planet should read this book at least once. I've read it three times.
Nayana
Aug 18, 2012 Nayana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book, a must read!
Jeannie
Nov 01, 2009 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another mind-opening book by Chopra
SAnne
I am wondering whether intention is really the whole story!! Must read more to have a clear picture of his theory!!
Anita
Nov 22, 2015 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book has a great message, but I felt that it was a little too long. Dr. Chopra is right: Peace Is The Way!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Peace within 1 6 Sep 20, 2008 11:03PM
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • The Babysitter's Handbook: The Care and Keeping of Kids
  • The New Revelations: A Conversation with God
  • The Skeptic : A Life of H. L. Mencken
  • Supreme Injustice
  • Happiness Is a Choice
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...