Start by marking “Snow Bears” as Want to Read:
Snow Bears

Snow Bears

When Mommy Bear comes to look for her baby bears, she finds three snow bears instead. They don't look quite like her bears, but they do like to slide down the snowy slope and throw snowballs, just like her bears do. Little readers will love being in on the charming snow-bear game, recounted by master storyteller Martin Waddell and illustrated by Sarah Fox-Davies with all t ...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 9th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Snow Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Bears

Donna
Sep 23, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely read and aimed at under 5’s. It is about 3 little bears who are covered in snow and their mother pretends she does not know it is them. This reminds me of times I have played the same game with my own daughter whilst she is wearing dressing up clothes, and am sure other children will relate to this also. It has good repetition and the use of onomatopoeia helps young children create a more vivid picture of parts of the story. The illustrations are soft and calming and are simple ...more
Cruth
Author: Martin Waddell
Illustrator: Sarah Fox-Davies
First Published: 2003
Includes: Notes for parents and teachers

image from walker.co.uk

A nice bedtime story - cuddly family scenario with mum playing with the kids in the snow. Nothing overly remarkable but it perfectly hits the spot.

Age:

-CR-
Amanda
Mar 09, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
This is a wonderfully book for k-3 to enjoy. The paragraphs are fairly lengthy but with simple to semi-simple words. The book is full of sight words. The illustrations are beautifully done. You could use this book to let the students predict or retell the events that took place.
Olubukola Apoeso
Mar 07, 2015 Olubukola Apoeso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Snow bear” By Martin Waddell is about three little bears covered with snow that pretend to be snow bears. Their mother asks them where her bear cubs are and they tell her they don't know, but they will play with her. The mother and babies slide down the hill and have a snowball fight. Then they all go into the house to eat toast by the fire. It is a great story of mother’s love and fun. This is a great book that helps to develop young children’s inferential skills as the children can deduce fro ...more
Stef Rozitis
I felt this story made the mistake many adults make of dumbing down and talking down to children. The snow bears talk in a way which an adult is meant to read as childishly cute but I think children find bemusing. The illustrations are cute and the theme of mother playing with, caring for and loving babies is one that children are absolutely obsessed with at childcare so despite the flaws I see in it the book DOES get a workout.

It just conflicted with the model of "capable" child that I both wor
Alice
Mar 07, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
So, it's winter in this story, RIGHT? Don't bears Hibernate in the winter?? But I guess bears that live in a human type house can sleep anytime of the year they want... SO wasn't overly impressed with this. I liked the pictures, I like the cute hide and go seek between mama bear and the cubs but not overly thrilled!
Cheryl
Sweet mama bear with cubs in the snow story is fine, but the illustrations are stellar! Watercolor and quite evocative. Illustrated by Sarah Fox-Davies.
Pam
Jan 11, 2016 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-picture
Cute book with delightful illustrations by Sarah Fox-Davies but the story line is pretty slow and boring.
This is cute and the illustrations are really good, too. I like how it's a mom taking care of her babies - some families are like that so it normalizes the situation for some kids. I'll read it to the pre-k at school next week. Still a bit too long for say the two-year-olds, but the repetition is nice for kids who are just a wee bit older.
Jennifer Rummel
Mar 17, 2014 Jennifer Rummel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations!
Candice
Mar 01, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
This was the cutest book! The text and the illustrations work so well together. Three little bears covered with snow pretend to be snow bears. Their mother asks them where her bear cubs are and they tell her they don't know, but they will play with her. The mother and babies slide down the hill and have a snowball fight. Then they all go into the house to eat toast by the fire. A story of mother love and fun. I can see reading this to a child again and again because the story and the message are ...more
Samantha
Mama Bear and her cubs play in the snow. The bear cubs cover themselves in snow and "hide" in plain sight from their mother.

Text reads like a fairytale and the watercolor and pencil illustrations give the bears a realistic look. PreK-2.
Jeffrey Ellsworth
3 little bears are covered with snow and the momma bear pretends she doesn't know its them. The kid bears think its funny and they play with their mom in the snow and they think they are fooling her that she doesn't know they are her children because of their disguises. Little kids will like it because they will know the little bears are the children the momma bear is looking for and might think its funny.
Sandi Roe
Jan 06, 2014 Sandi Roe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
This is a wonderful book about a mama bear who is very playful with her baby bears. Shows you're never too old to play like a child and use your imagination!
Sophie
Apr 17, 2011 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book because its funny when the three baby bears pretend they dont now where they are. They put snow on them and pretended they are snow bears .At the end of a game mummy bear kept saying are you sure you dont now where my baby bears are she kept asking them. I enjoyed that book its one of my favourite books in the world.
Tara
This would be a great book to use on a lesson of making inferences. The entire time the reader thinks that the baby bears are gone and they have been replaced by snow bears. I bet this would be a great way to show students how a good reader reads. A good reader infers what is going to happen next. This book is a good beginning to that.
Theresa
snow bears by martin waddell is a cute shared stories book for early educational learning. Sequence of events. connections to home. showing connections to text
Zachary Alcorn
This was a good book. it shows how families are and how the youngest is normal the one left out in some situations because they cant keep up like in the snowball fight. But the family was still loving and did what the littlest bear wanted to do and go inside. Great picture of family and how they can have fun together.
Kelli
Mama Bear takes her three brown cubs out to play in the snow. They disappear, but she has a lot of fun with the white snow bears that appear in their place. A fun read-aloud for younger preschoolers.
Robert Tabb
Dec 08, 2007 Robert Tabb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
One of my favorite parts of the day is reading bedtime stories to my 3 month old son. I found this one to be particularly charming. The illustrations and story both stand out as being fun.
Brittany
Jan 23, 2008 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for the Girls for Christmas..because it was a good price, happy I did. My girls totally related to this book. I havn't heard them giggle at a book, as much as this one.
Jen
Jan 22, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, winter
Sweet story about a momma whose babies "disappear" and are replaced by 3 snow bears...any book that ends with hot toast by the fire sounds good to me.
Chelsea
Dec 15, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, winter
Filled with coziness and love and a delightful and simple book. Mommy Bear is playing along with her baby bears in the snow and having a good time.
Lori
Nov 25, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Why do we gravitate to bear books? Enjoyed this one too! Reminded me of a few of my own childhood adventures--times with my mom and sisters.
Hope
Mar 06, 2013 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is absolutely darling. Innocent, playful, and filled with love. So very touching and sweet. Wonderful illustrations.
Jessica Bennett
Lovely cosy story with repeated text my 2 year old can join in with.
Cory
Apr 14, 2012 Cory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually into schmoopy mom books, but this is a cute one.
Heather
Apr 03, 2012 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, winter-snow
34 months - Found at the Thrift Store. It's a cute read.
David
Cute little story about a mother playing with her babies.
Jessica
Good read for children on a snowy day.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hello, Snow!
  • Jingle-Jingle
  • Hurry! Hurry!

Also writes under the pen name Catherine Sefton

Martin Waddell is the author of more than one hundred books for young readers.
More about Martin Waddell...