Start by marking “Jack of Fables: Jack of Hearts (Jack of Fables, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jack of Fables: Jack of Hearts (Jack of Fables, #2)

Jack of Fables: Jack of Hearts (Jack of Fables #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  2,642 ratings  ·  142 reviews
In this volume collecting issues #6-11, Jack reveals the secret of his former relationship with the illustrious Snow Queen — when he took her powers and became known as Jack Frost. And in present times, he lands in Las Vegas and meets his lovely new bride, a directionless heiress. Could it possibly be "happily ever after" at last?
Published December 21st 2007 by Titan Books Ltd (first published October 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Jack of Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack of Fables

More entertaining that I expected, the graphic novel format really suits this character. We'll see how well his not-all-that-lovable-of-a-rake personality holds up over quite a long series, but I'm on board for now.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
2.5. I hate Jack. I really hate Jack. He's such a jerk. I'm not sure if I can continue this series. I gave it two volumes, and I still see zero growth in this character. Ugh.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Yep, JACK OF FABLES is not really up my alley.
It was worth a try.
FABLES and FARIEST for me all the way from Willingham.
Emily Green
It is really difficult to find anything to like in the Jack of Fables series. Filled with misogyny that decidedly does not reach the level of satire, we simply get the stories of a big jerk who never learns his lesson, using women and friends, partying when he can, and living off of his charm.

It is very disappointing that this awful series sprang from Fables, which did have several good years.

In this volume, Jack first finds himself trapped on a mountain, hiding from Mr. Revise with a few other
Jeff Raymond
While I like Fables, I'm still not sure about Jack of Fables as a spinoff. This one has essentially two arcs, one where Jack seduces the Queen of Winter and becomes Jack Frost, wreaking plenty of havoc, and one where Jack gets involved in a fabletastic Vegas wedding.

I don't know. It might be the character, it might be the situations, it might just be that I've got enough Fables in my life, it might be that other comics just grab me better right now, I'm not sure.

As a limited series and bei
Jack and company have escaped from the Golden Boughs Retirement Home, but most of his compatriots have been picked back up. Not that this is bothering Jack too much, his main reason for taking them with him was to keep them too busy to focus on him. We open with Jack still on the run, hanging out with a few stragglers he managed to meet up with. To pass the time while they wait out the searchers, Jack regales his skeptical audience with the tale of how he conned the Snow Queen out her powers for ...more
Nicola Mansfield
So, I'm still enjoying "Jack" though it is not nearly as good as "Fables". Jack is not exactly a likable character but there are times when one can't help but laugh along with him and hope he gets out the mess he's in. One thing I'm glad to have found carried over from "Fables" is the directory of characters at the beginning of the book. This helps introduce new characters and remember who old characters are especially the further you get into the series.

This time we start with Jack just after t
Jack of Fables is a hell of a lot more fun that the original series, Fables, that he started in. In Volume 2: Jack of Hearts, after escaping from the Golden Boughs, Jack regales his fellow survivors with the story of how his affair with Lumi the Snow Queen led to him becoming the pesky Jack Frost. Jack later hightails it to Las Vegas where he gets married, comes into a fortune and, again, despite a meeting with Lady Luck herself, loses it all. But it's all told with such irreverence and spunky a ...more
Following his escape, Jack met up with some other refugees (John Henry, Percos Bill and Alice of the 'Alice in Wonderland' story) in the Rocky Mountains and hid there, until he made his way to Las Vegas.

But not before regaling them with the story of how he became Jack Frost. He recounts how he met the sorceress of great power, Lumi, better known as the Snow Queen, whom "Fasbles" series know as the vindictive commander of the Emperor's personal guard.

According to Jack, she is one of four sisters
Jack is a complete douchbag. He’s a greedy, womanizing conman with no morals whatsoever. I shouldn’t like Jack at all, but he’s so entertaining that I’m able to forgive all the horrible things he does. This volume was ten times better than the first one. The adventures Jack goes on had me on the edge of my seat. After having escaped from the retirement home/prison, Jack ends up in Vegas where more craziness ensues. There was a short story where Jack tells of the time he was Jack Frost. This was ...more
Reprints Jack of Fables #6-11 (February 2007-July 2007). Jack and his friends have escaped from Golden Boughs and are on the run…and it’s time for Jack to tell a tale of how he for a short period became Jack Frost at the hands of the Snow Queen. Then Jack and the Pathetic Fallacy are headed to Vegas where Jack finds love only to lose it…but fortunately a big payout helps soften the pain…unfortunately, it also draws the attention of Lady Luck.

Written by Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges, Jack o
Issue 6 - An awesome leeway into Jack's history as Jack Frost. This is the type of retold fairy tale that I REALLY enjoy. And the interruptions were amusing as well.

Issue 7 - Not very happy that they abandoned the Jack Frost story - what's the deal with that? But this new story is intriguing enough, and the ending gave me shivers!

Issue 8 - Wow, this issue ended with a bang! And the look on Jack's face was priceless! I'm not sure if this arc is done yet or not. If it isn't, I can't wait to see wh
[Name Redacted]
Well, this one started off on a better foot. The introductory story is set in the Homelands and concerns how Lumi (the Winter/Snow Queen) became as icy and hard-hearted as we know her to be; and it features another of Willingham's reference to the songs of Jethro Tull (the song Jack sings as he approaches Lumi's castle is "Rover" from their album "Heavy Horses"). All told, I enjoyed the opening story.

The rest however? Oy. I'll admit i'm biased against anything taking place in Las Vegas (I will
I always feel like I should take a shower after I've spent some time reading about Jack's misadventures, but I have to admit that this spin-off series is definitely growing on me: it's very silly but also very funny. The Jack Frost issues filled in some interesting backstory about the Snow Queen/Lumi (and dangled the tantalising carrot of the son she had with Jack) while the Jack of Hearts issues were a fun romp through Vegas. I love it that Gary (the Pathetic Fallacy) is Jack's sidekick; with h ...more
Razvan Zamfirescu
Incepe sa-mi placa acest Jack of Fables si personalitatea sa enervanta.
Aventurile sale sunt hazlii si pline de antren, te tin in priza si le citesti pe nerasuflate.
Pataniile sale in Las Vegas sunt foarte amuzante iar rasturnarile de situatie sunt imprevizibile si fac deliciul volumului. Sarcasmul si cinismul personajului fac toti banii si te tin in priza de la inceput pana la sfarsit.
Nu ma asteptam sa gust aceasta serie, insa ma bucur ca am descoperit-o datorita universului Fables.
Nu este un mus
Scott Lee
This one suffers from the same problem as the last one for me, only more so. I can't get too excited about Jack as the protagonist. I guess I keep hoping that he'll become more of a Han Solo, Mat Cauthon lovable rogue with some sense of honor, but I disagree with the father in law's assessment of Jack from this volume: We've seen no proof that Jack has any honor at all. He's out entirely for himself. I suppose the montage leading up to Jack finding out that he was now the owner of a newly vast f ...more
In this volume which collects issues 6-11, Jack's escape from Revise takes him on an adventure to Las Vegas. On a tangent, Jack tells the story of his time as Jack Frost. Of the two, I really only enjoyed the latter. Lady Luck was not an interesting antagonist to me. Yet, I did enjoy Gary the Pathetic Fallacy as Jack's sidekick. My favorite part was the interruption and commentary on Jack's storytelling abilities by Revise and one of the librarian sisters.
Oh Jack, you devilish rogue! We all love a bad boy and in this volume our favourite bad boy does what we'd all do in vegas, gets married. But maybe even he shouldn't tangle with Lady luck!
This wonderful story arc is sandwiched between a cold tale of love and betrayal. Yes, Jack telks what amounts to the Ice Queen Lumi's origin tale. Our hero charms his way into her bed, and heart, "borrows" her powers and goes in pursuit of yet more tail. Will he ever learn?!
This series is very promising….and very funny. This vol was a little gruesome, but it suited the storyline, and i loved the whole Vegas/Lady Luck angle…there are times where i'm rooting for Jack, and then 5 seconds later i want to see him get his comeuppance. But that is what great writing and storylines do to you, so well done!!! Can't wait for the next!
Kristine Pratt
Much as I love Fables, I have a hard time fully enjoying a series where Jack is the main character. He's immoral, has very little compassion...some though. Don't get me wrong. I actually found myself liking Gary best in all of this adventure. Will try reading further and see what happens but right now I think I'd rather go back to the original series.
The fun of Jack of Fables continues in this volume. "Jack" takes all of the American folk tales and other "missing" Fables to the forefront. Full of humor, sarcastic wit, and a different viewpoint than the original Fables series. This time out, we get to see another of Jack Horner incarnations, this time as Jack Frost. We also know more as to why the Winter Queen has sided with the Adversary. The following arc takes Jack to the shiny streets of Las Vegas where a string of events bring him head t ...more
Maggie Gordon
Jack of Hearts starts where The (Nearly) Great Escape left off, with Jack and a collection of runaway fables hiding out in the mountains. To pass the time, Jack tells them all the story of how he became Jack Frost and essentially fouled up much of the Fables homeland. I sided with Goldilocks when she remained decidedly unimpressed. Jack then takes off to Las Vegas where he manages to get himself married to a rich heiress. When she is killed by the henchmen of Lady Luck, he gives the reader’s a t ...more
Heidi Wiechert
Jack isn't my favorite but I loved the backstory of his time with Lumi. Fable world Jack is so much more interesting to me than regular earth Jack. He's just such a cad...

However, I love that the bad guys in this series (or parts of it) are evil librarians. I can't imagine a more perfect nemesis for an out-of-control fable or story based being than a censoring librarian(s).
This one really cements the author's M.O. regarding Jack's behavior for this series, and does so in excellent form. We get to meet some new characters, and get to see new roles for a few returning favorites - Pathetic Fallacy among them. Entertaining, but the following books are better done, IMO.
Gosh it was awful. Volume 2 shows us more atrocities Jack committed before escaping from Adversary and Jack got involved with a mysterious murder of his new wife.

The dialogues were laughably bad, the storytelling was pathetic. Unless you are a fan, this would disappoint you.
More time to breath and I rather like the Snow Queen's character who gets a bit of time here. The Pathetic Fallacy's ability to bring stuff to life is a lot of fun. There's some needless gruesome shit where Lady Luck needs to eat brains because I don't know.
Robert Hudder
Vegas baby. Lady luck shows up and you can see where this arc is going to head into American fables and folklore. Looking forward to the ride as Jack will gain and lose many fortunes and babes along the way.
David Caldwell
A graphic novel collection of issues 6-11 of the Jack of Fables.

Jack is still on the run from the Golden Bough Retirement Facility.He tells the tale of how he was briefly Jack Frost(and why Lumi,the Snow Queen, turned evil)to Alice, Pecos Bill, and John Henry.Then when he encounters the Pathetic Fallacy,or Gary as he prefers,Jack decides to head to Vegas to try and get rich yet again.Naturally, the universe has its own plans for Jack and his schemes.

The artwork and stories are okay without being
  • Cinderella, Vol. 2: Fables are Forever
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 2: Love Stories for Dead People
  • DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra (Ex Machina, #7)
  • Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more
More about Bill Willingham...

Jack of Fables (10 books)
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 1: The (Nearly) Great Escape