Start by marking “The Italian Wedding” as Want to Read:
The Italian Wedding

The Italian Wedding

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Pieta Martinelli's sister is getting married. Since she is a bridal designer it falls to her to make the wedding gown. But Pieta is distracted by a series of unanswered questions. Why is her father feuding with another Italian in the neighborhood? Why is her mother so faded and sad? And could the man she's always held a torch for really be getting married to someone else? ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Orion Publishing (first published February 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Italian Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Italian Wedding

Annie
Fans of Domenica de Rosa look no further - this was even better! I was kind of disappointed when the story started in an Italian restaurant in London but you're very quickly into the story of how Pieta's mother hitched to Rome with two friends and fell in love with Beppi the chef from Ravenna. This book has it all including a wonderful baddie in Gianfranco, family feuds and lovely Italian scenery. And the food - it even includes Beppi's recipes, and I can recommend the aubergine bake I tried las ...more
Dana
A year or two ago, I discovered that I can't stand to read about supernatural things anymore; I needed a break to finish the HUGE tremendous list I have of vampires, werewolves and witches lists. So I bought several books of other styles and one of them was Nicky Pallegrino's book The Italian Wedding.

And let me tell you this, I'm deeply in love with this book, I feel happy just reading it. I love the story, the pace, the characters, that amazing warm Italian feeling of family and food combo.

This
Jeane
You can't call The Italian wedding a high quality story but it's not always needed to read a nice story, beautiful written that is full of warmth and makes you feel like it brings you for a little while nearer to being in Italy, even if you aren't.

That's what Pieta managed to do by telling her story about her family. The daily anecdotes of her half-Italian family and those of the her parents past.
Peta is Beppe's daughter, the main character through which Nicky pellegrino brought this beautiful s
LindyLouMac
This is the second title by this author that I have read and I doubt it will be the last as I believe they are all set in Italy. Although I am already living the Italian dream it was a pleasure to lose myself in the setting for this delightful novel for a few hours of undemanding reading. A relaxing read written by an author whose passion for Italy is obvious from the delightful way she writes, even including some authentic recipes in the storyline.

With a simple plot about love, feuding families
Angie
As Pellegrino alludes to in the additional content at the back of this book, 'Why I wrote this story (and why you should write one too!)', fancy prose was not important, nor (I think) a really strong plot. This was just a nice story about a half English/half Italian family living and working in an Italian community somewhere in England. As Pieta lovingly designs and creates her sister's wedding dress, her mother opens up to her and Pieta learns the story of her parents. The descriptions of weddi ...more
Daniëlle
Wauw, dit boek las ik in één dag uit. Wat geweldig om een verhaal over Italië te lezen. Je leert veel over familiebanden, over vergeven en liefhebben, over het Italiaanse eten en de cultuur. Een heel mooi boek!
Linda
The Italian Wedding is an easy-going smoothly told novel about the Martinelli's, a family consisting of an Italian father who after having married an English girl, runs his own restaurant, "little Italy" in London. The youngest daughter is getting married and the eldest, a bridal designer, designs and make her dress. While she works on the dress, her mother gradually reveals her story starting from the adventurous trip to Italy with 2 girl friends, and the feud between their family and the Di Ma ...more
Alexandra Balzia
All i needed after a hectic 6 months was an easy going book. Nicky pellegrino delivered
Rosa Ramôa
A discutir, a comer e a amar.Os italianos são como os portugueses...;)
Luisa
I liked it. It's easy to read, yet somewhat predictable
Célia
A Noiva Italiana é um livro que conta a história de uma família de imigrantes italianos a viver em Londres. O aproximar do casamento da filha mais nova do casal e os problemas de saúde de Beppi vão fazer com que Catherine, a mãe da família, recorde como conheceu Beppi, ao mesmo tempo que desvenda os motivos por detrás da contenda entre Beppi e o seu amigo de infância Gianfranco.

Pelas comparações ao Chocolate da Joanne Harris confesso que estava à espera de mais a nível de escrita e desenvolvimen
Smitha
Pieta Martinelli is a bridal designer working for a famous Bridal Designer. She is very busy at work and at home, planning her younger sister’s wedding dress. Living with her Italian dad, Beppi Martinelli, English mother Catherine and younger sister Addolorata, who is a chef in her dad’s restaurant Little Italy, in London.

Her family has a long running feud with another Italian family in the same locality. She and her sister have always been consumed with curiosity about the feud, because they ha
Catia Pereira
Fiquei bastante surpreendida com este livro. A acção divide-se entre a Inglaterra e a Itália; e, ao longo das páginas, viajamos dentro da história de duas famílias que vivem uma inimizade que perdura há anos. Pelo meio, há os sabores e aromas da culinária italiana.
O que me conquistou neste livro foi a interacção entre culinária e os relacionamentos familiares. Não entendi bem porque este livro é usualmente identificado como "romance no feminino", com a conotação de ser cor-de-rosa. Pareceu-me a
Beril
sevimli bir hşkaye, berbat bir son. (view spoiler) 1,5'tan 2 o da güzel yemek tariflerinin hatırına.
Pamela ciccolini
Fun read and easy for me to relate to!! Family, relationships, Italy and the passions of it all including food!! Enjoyable and easy to read. A nice little diversion during this cold winter.
Liz Cee
I enjoyed this one. The description doesn't do it justice; it makes you think it is a Romeo and Juliet romance, but there is much more. I enjoyed the parents' stories but didn't like to character of the mother. It didn't make sense to me that she wasn't honest with Beppi about certain events. I don't think her personality changed in middle age so much as she was always overly timid and dull (imo). The other characters were well-written and interesting.

I like that Pellegrino doesn't just go for s
Shelley
A lovely light read, which had me reaching for the red moscato and dreaming of visiting Italy...
Nour
Found it by the pool in a hotel. Enjoyed reading it. Nothing deep or memorable, just a beach-read.
Maria
I absolutely loved this book. A breath of fresh air. I felt like I was right there in the thick of it and part of the family. So true to European way of life too!
Anne
I was lucky enough to read this sitting by the pool at a little house in an olive grove - no, not in Italy, but in Greece, but the sunshine and my surroundings made this story come alive!

Nicky Pellegrino is a real favourite of mine, she has that knack of creating wonderfully realistic characters - both good and evil and weaving the perfect story for them to play out. Beginning in an Italian restaurant in Soho, London and taking the reader back 30 or so years to Rome - the story of how Pieta's p
Joana Fernandes
A light easy ready for summery days, although it is rather predictable it was enjoyable most of the time.
Barbara
A reasonable read and better than many chic lit books.
Devi Sykes
Very good, I found reading it made me hungry too.
Ana Nunes
Um dos meus livros preferidos! Adoro! <3
Gillian Wintrup
This was a heartwarming old fashioned good book. Lovely story of family.
Gözde
eski anne baba hikayelerini okumaktan hoslanmam ama bu hikayede sevdigim seyler buldum en buyuk eksik benim icin pietaydi sanirim keske onu daha fazla okuyabilseydim ama kitap gercekten cok hosuma gitti
Noemia
Uma história interessante, depois de ter conhecido Adollorata e a família no livro AS Raparigas da Villa, agora seguimos mais detalhadamente as vidas de Beppi o italiano que se apaixona pela turista inglesa e se vai estabelecer em Londres. Embora não haja ligação entre os livros em ambos a história roda em torno da família Martinelli e embora neste livro já não apareçam as outras raparigas da Villa presume-se que seja posterior pelo decorrer da hiatória - o casamento de Adollorata etc
Mariazita
E o primeiro livro que leio desta autora, na minha opinião um livro simpatico , com uma história que nos transporta numa visita á Italia e ao seus sabores.
Uma história antiga de ódio que arrastou-se por anos e que envolve a nova geração que tenta descobrir o que aconteceu no passado, tentando resolver agora no presente os segredos do passado.
Um livro que se lê bem, uma narrativa interessante.
Considero um livro que dá para entreter por uma boas horas.
Mariazita
É o primeiro livro que leio desta autora, na minha opinião um livro simpatico , com uma história que nos transporta numa visita á Italia e ao seus sabores.
Um livro que se lê bem, uma narrativa interessante.
Considero um livro que dá para entreter por uma boas horas.
Mekerei
This is classic chick lit about love, feuding families and the single protagonist, Pieta. Pieta designs wedding gowns and she's designing her younger sister's, Addolorata, gown; but she doesn't have anyone to share her life with, except perhaps Michael; the son of the man who her father hates.

The storyline was interesting and I liked the way that we slowly learnt about the feud. The best part is the recipes scattered throughout the book.
  • The Villa in Italy
  • It's the Little Things
  • Zwaar Verliefd!
  • The Italian Matchmaker
  • Villa Serena
  • A Florentine Death
  • Miss Communicatie
  • Kadaverdoktoren (Madeleine Karno, #1)
  • Glazuur
  • Catching the Tide
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • The Lost Daughter
  • Skandalen (Sagaen om Isfolket, #27)
  • A Cor da Paixão
  • When In Rome: Chasing La Dolce Vita
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • The Villa
  • The Memory Garden
I was born and grew up near Liverpool, England. For a while I worked as a magazine journalist in London but then 21 years ago I came on holiday to New Zealand and met my future husband Carne Bidwill at a wedding. Now we live together near a beach in Auckland with our dogs Charlie the standard poodle and Lucy the pointer. I spend my time writing novels, working as a freelance journalist, riding my ...more
More about Nicky Pellegrino...
Recipe for Life The Villa Girls Delicious The Gypsy Tearoom When in Rome