Start by marking “LTI. Notizbuch eines Philologen” as Want to Read:
LTI. Notizbuch eines Philologen

LTI. Notizbuch eines Philologen

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Victor Klemperer analysiert in seinem längst zum Standardwerk gewordenen Buch LTI (Lingua Tertii Imperii – die Sprache des Dritten Reiches), wie die Nationalsozialisten mit der Sprache umgingen und mit Worten Politik machten. Seine – oft heimlich – während des Dritten Reiches entstandenen Tagebuchaufzeichnungen, seine scharfsinnigen, spannenden und teils heiteren Sprach- u ...more
Published December 31st 2007 (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about LTI. Notizbuch eines Philologen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about LTI. Notizbuch eines Philologen

Hadrian
I'm assuming that most of us know about George Orwell's 1984. Even if you haven't read the book, you are likely familiar with some of the basic concepts: Big Brother, Two-Minutes Hate, the Ministry of Truth, and so on. One of the main concepts in 1984 was Newspeak, where the government actively manipulated the language people spoke in order to control and limit their thoughts, to make dissent impossible.

Well Orwell, as skilled a writer as he was, didn't invent all of this on his own. He based mu
Jonathan
I first discovered this, and his diaries, during work on my Master's thesis (specifically the chapter dealing with language as a tool for brutalisation in Nazi Germany). It left me speechless with admiration. The fact that one can see similar techniques being used again and again around the world, only amplifies the importance of his studies. Very glad to see it has been published by Routledge as my old copy is falling apart...
notgettingenough
Update: an interim to something else about Klemperer.

In Australia and no doubt elsewhere in the world, this sequence is happening.

First we have terror.

Next we have anti-terror.

And new on the line is terror of anti-terror, or anti-anti-terror, such as a glut of journalistic articles telling us why the Australian Government’s new anti-terror laws are 1984 and the instigation of the thing we should really be terrified of. You can see an example here.

This is the spin we all create: the Nazis, Mark w
Meaghan
A sort of combination memoir and philology book. The author undertakes a serious study of language in Nazi Germany, but that study is part and parcel of his own experience living as a Jew in Dresden, and he includes many anecdotes about his own experiences. I admit I'm not into philology -- okay, I had to look up the word in the dictionary -- and I only read the book because Klemperer kept talking about it in his diaries. And in turn he talks about his diaries a lot in this book. So they complim ...more
Patrick Tobin
I'm a huge fan of Klemperer's diaries - in fact, they're some of my favorite books. I remember reading notes for the LTI in the diaries, and only just now got around to buying it.

I wish I'd read it sooner. I think it's brilliant, but I felt hampered by not knowing German. I think it would have been a lot more powerful, regardless of how wonderful the translation is.

That said, there were a couple of sections that gave me goose pimples, mainly because they are so completely relevant to today.

Writ
trovateOrtensia
"Un'epoca si esprime attraverso il suo linguaggio.
(...) Le parole possono essere come minime dosi di arsenico: ingerite senza saperlo sembrano non avere alcun effetto, ma dopo qualche tempo ecco rivelarsi l'effetto tossico. Se per un tempo sufficientemente lungo al posto di eroico e virtuoso si dice "fanatico", alla fine si crederà veramente che un fanatico sia un eroe pieno di virtù e che non possa esserci un eroe senza fanatismo".

Un libro illuminante e prezioso.
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Mi pare notevole, in questo libro, il modo in cui le riflessioni sulla degenerazione subita dalla lingua tedesca durante il nazismo si alternano alle fugaci testimonianze delle violenze quotidiane, delle sconfortanti manifestazioni di ottusità ideologica di cui si rendono protagoniste le persone meno sospettabili – manifestazioni dell’impoverimento del discorso pubblico sui mezzi di informazione e del dialogo (politico, culturale) fra le persone. Un appiattimento della lingua e delle idee in par ...more
Mariel
voor germanisten en geïnteresseerden in de recente geschiedenis een absolute must. korte hoofdstukken die de verschillende aspecten van de LTI, de taal van het Derde Rijk, belichten en illustreren met de persoonlijke ervaringen van één van de weinige prominente Duitsers van joodse origine die de oorlog in Duitsland zelf overleefde. Je gebruikt het woord 'fanatiek' nooit meer zomaar...
Felix
German edition - German review:

Victor Klemperer schaut hier mit dem professionellen aber auch herzerwärmenden und -zerreißenden Blick eines jüdischen Linguisten den Nazis aufs Maul. Ich bin immer noch voller Be- und Verwunderung darüber, wie er es geschafft hat, umgeben von all diesen Greueln, seinen feinen Humor zu behalten und weiter scharfsinnig-analytisch zu denken. Seine Ausführungen (die im übrigen frei von jeglichem Fachjargon und überaus gut verständlich sind) haben mich tief beeindruckt
Iñaki Tofiño
Un intelectual que analiza la lengua de la bestia, una víctima que disecciona la lengua del verdugo y gracias a eso mantiene la cordura.

Victor Klemperer sobrevivió a la persecución gracias al hecho de estar casado con una mujer "aria" y aunque los dos sufrieron las sevicias y vejaciones del régimen nazi, perdieron su trabajo, tuvieron que trasladarse a una "casa de judíos", vieron como sus correligionarios acaban en campos de concentración (y recibieron urnas con sus cenizas a vuelta de correo..
Roger
This is a book that would repay multiple readings - in fact it's a book that should sit on one's shelves and be referred to again and again - despite it's somewhat quirky construction, in a small way this book unlocks the secrets of the twentieth century's decline into madness and suicide.

Victor Klemperer was a middle-aged, middle-class Professor of French Literature, who had served his country in the First World War; in 1933 he had a comfortable post at the Dresden Technical University. In a no
Gudrun
Words can be like small doses of arsenic - they become effective after time. Klemperer's book LTI (lingua tertii imperii) is a book about language in the Third Reich. He calls it 'Notebook of a philologist'. Here he records in great and fascinating detail how the Nazis changed German language to a language of the Third Reich, serving their sinister aim to discredit and destroy the Jewish community by building and furthering antisemitism through subtle changes in everyday language.
Mathieu
Comment les nazis, pour contrôler la manière dont la population pensait, ont inventé un langage qui leur était propre. Glaçant, terrifiant, édifiant. A lire, car on s'aperçoit, en fin de compte, que les techniques de communication politique et publicitaire (les deux revenant au même) aujourd'hui sont les mêmes: matraquer des termes jusqu'à plus soif pour que tout le monde les utilise, les intègre et se mette à penser comme le pouvoir le souhaite (identité nationale anyone?), répéter des slogans ...more
Eren Buğlalılar
Kitabın yazarı faşizmin hüküm sürdüğü yıllarda Almanya'da gizli bir hayat sürmek zorunda kalan bir Yahudi dil bilimci. Faşizmin demagojik niteliğini, yalan söylemekteki ustalığını anlatmanın yanısıra, bu dilin nasıl yavaş yavaş insanların düşünme biçimlerine girdiğini, en vicdanlı görünen insanların kelimeler aracılığıyla nasıl rejimin ideolojisine tabi kılındığını gösteriyor.

Okurken AKP'nin sürekli söylediği yalanlarla yaratmayı kısmen başardığı yanılsamayı ve liberallerin ürettiği, darbe-demok
Mikhail Ignatev
Вот Пушкин - гений, он изобрёл русский язык. Изобретатель колеса - тоже гений, но ездить всё-таки сейчас приятнее на мерседесе, чем на телеге. По той же причине Бродского люблю больше, чем Пушкина.

Тут то же: это был, по-видимому, первый или уж точно один из первых текстов такого рода, где показано, как ошеломляюще точно язык позволяет реконструировать происходящее в обществе.

НО! Есть же книга Михаила Вайскопфа "Писатель Сталин". Там ТО ЖЕ САМОЕ, но только про НАС. А кроме того, текст Вайскопфа н
Bennievermeer
LTI is both shocking as a historical document of the Nazi language and awe-inspiring as the record of a Jewish survivor. But above all it serves as an important lesson about the power of words, one that is still very relevant today.

Despite its grim theme, and even if it sounds almost frivolous to say so, it also makes for a fascinating read for anyone with an ear for language.

Read my full review: www.brnrd.net/blog/archive/2012/10/28...
Bakunin
One of the best books I've read this year. I'll return with a review a little later when the dust from Klemperers explosive material has settled.
Chani
Being Jewish, Victor Klemperer lost his job and could have lost his life if his Aryan wife had deserted him. Being a German philologist he used his own weapon to make it through the Third Reich's craziness and studied that Newspeak the Nazis created, writing in his notebook how propaganda changed the German language, how the LTI altered the way of thinking.

Brilliant and moving. A book everybody should read. Makes me wish I learnt German at school.
Susagna
Es pot trobar en castellà amb el títol: "LTI La lengua del Tercer Reich" Ed. Minúscula.

Un llibre pels amants de la llengua en tota la seva extensió. Victor Klemperer diu que "el llenguatge no només crea i pensa per nosaltres, com deia Schiller, sinó que guia alhora les nostres emocions, dirigeix la nostra personalitat psíquica..." Amb aquest assaig escrit en la clandestinitat ens adverteix dels perills de la manipulació de la llengua.
pax
"Worte sind wie winzige Arsendosen: sie werden unbemerkt verschluckt, sie scheinen keine Wirkung zu tun, und nach einiger Zeit ist die Giftwirkung da."

Es gibt SO viel mehr zu diesem Buch zu sagen (und auch Gründe, warum es vielleicht doch 4.55 Punkte werden sollten, aber eher 5 als 4). So, SO viel mehr. Aber ich belasse es zuerst bei dem obigen Zitat, das so viel zusammenfasst und so, SO aktuell ist.
Thegurkenkaiser
Bam!
Das ist ein grandioses Buch zum NS. Vorrangig gehts natürlich um sprache und du denkst: Kennt man ja alles schon. Aber lass dich korrigieren: kennt man gar nicht!
und es ist sogar unterhaltsam und witzig, es hat romanähnliche züge, in die die analytischen Bezüge perfekt eingebettet sind. Hier kann man lernen, richtig hinzuhören und zu lesen. nicht nur im bezug auf NS.
Joseph
This book is fascinating. Unless you speak German, though, it might be difficult to really see what Klemperer is describing. It's nevertheless interesting to read the Klemperer's perspective as both an educated philologist and a Jew who lived during the Nazi years and examined how the Nazis twisted the German language. So far, sooo good.
Lee
Extraordinarily important observation on the use of language to create a coercive reality by a Professor who lived through it. Though they took his Professorship away, of course. As a Jew married to an Aryan Klemperer was suffered to stay around far longer than most German Jews.
Canard Frère
Très bon livre, à la fois étude et témoignage, qui nous aide à décortiquer la corruption de la langue accompagnant la mise en place d'un régime dictatorial. On pourrait facilement considérer ça comme étant toujours d'actualité.
Jakob
Easily one of the better books I've read (still reading..) this year. Indispensable in understanding how language permutates through everything we do and think. You'll never use superlatives like "epic" that carefree again..
Andrea Hickman Walker
A very interesting account of the way language was used in the Third Reich and the effects that that particular type of language had on the way people thought and behaved. Definitely worth reading.
Heather
Dec 30, 2009 Heather is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this book for months --- may or may not ever complete it. I constantly re-read sections and return to sections that still resonate...
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
Zou op de literatuurlijst moeten staan van elke school in elk land dat zich een democratie noemt.
Alex
Sep 29, 2008 Alex rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
this book is a very important one, you must read it, if you haven't yet!
  • Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust, and the David Irving Trial
  • Occult Roots of Nazism: Secret Aryan Cults and Their Influence on Nazi Ideology
  • The Canvas
  • Mein Leben
  • Kassandra
  • Das siebte Kreuz
  • Irretrievable
  • A History of Rome (Abridged)
  • Der Untertan (Das Kaiserreich, #1)
  • The Weimar Republic: The Crisis of Classical Modernity
  • Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War
  • The Vocation Lectures: Science as a Vocation/Politics as a Vocation
  • Talleyrand
Victor Klemperer (9 October 1881 – 11 February 1960) worked as a commercial apprentice, a journalist and eventually a Professor of Literature, specialising in the French Enlightenment at the Technische Universität Dresden. His diaries detailing his life under successive German states—the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany and the German Democratic Republic—were published in 1995. His ...more
More about Victor Klemperer...
I Will Bear Witness: A Diary of the Nazi Years, 1933-1941 I Will Bear Witness: A Diary of the Nazi Years, 1942-1945 The Lesser Evil: The Diaries of Victor Klemperer 1945-1959 Ich will Zeugnis ablegen bis zum Letzten: Tagebücher 1933-1945 Sämtliche Romane und Erzählungen

“Ich war noch nicht ein bißchen abgestumpft, ich war noch so ganz gewohnt, in einem Rechtsstaat zu leben, daß ich damals vieles für die tiefste Hölle hielt, was ich später höchstens für ihren Vorhof, für den Danteschen Limbo nahm. Immerhin: soviel schlimmer es auch kommen sollte, alles, was sich noch später an Gesinnung, an Tat und Sprache des Nazismus hinzufand, das zeichnet sich in seinen Ansätzen schon in diesen ersten Monaten ab.” 3 likes
“Academics love the semicolon; their hankering after logic demands a division which is more emphatic than a comma, but not quite as absolute a demarcation as a full stop.” 1 likes