Start by marking “Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)” as Want to Read:
Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)

Got The Look (Jack Swyteck #5)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,154 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
FBI agent Andie Henning is tracking a ruthless kidnapperplaguing south Florida, one who's out to prove that all human life can be valued in dollars and cents. But at every turn, he has slipped through her net. This time he's taken the wife of one of the state's richest horse breeders and is asking a ransom of $1 million. The stakes go up when Andie finds the woman -- dead. ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 640 pages
Published January 3rd 2006 by Harper (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Got The Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Got The Look

ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JANUARY 17, 2016
Narrator: Nick Sullivan

3.5 stars. The half star added because I stuck around long enough to confirm my suspicions about whodunit. Why didn't I like this installment as much? I get antsy whenever the protagonist of a thriller gets serious about a woman (I haven't read any non-romance thrillers written by a female author so I can't say if they're the same) because 1) the guy never gets the girl for long; 2) she dies; 3) she's the bad guy. Does this happen here?
Mary JL
Sep 24, 2012 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thrillers and mysteries
Shelves: mystery-horror
This is the fifth book in James Grippando's Jack Swyteck series. But the series can be read out of order; each stands alone.

The pace of this novel is fast; the characters well-drawn. And the twists and turns are clever. It really sets up a great conflict between a merciless kidnapper and his adversaries.

I liked it and kept me reading. The descriptions of the abuse of the women is quite violent. This is a bit more violent than some of the others novels in this series. I feel it was still definite
Scott Bagley
Jan 12, 2010 Scott Bagley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking without success for new authors lately, and I've finally found one. This is a really well written kidnapping book which is revealed just a little at a time and really keeps you reading! The characters have their own demons they battle and come across as very real. I will be reading more Grippando in the future!
Heather
Feb 11, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm a big fan of mysteries and this was a good one! It is a light, easy read that kept me turning the pages. Of course I always try to solve the crime before the investigator does and they stumped me with this one- I was on the right track but didn't ID the actual person before it was revealed. To me, that's what makes a good mystery!
Sandy
May 03, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jack. I love James Grippando. I love Theo. The way Grippando writes, and the dialogue between Jack and Theo keeps me coming back for more every time. I know I'm not reading these books in order, but I love them just the same. You know that the character development is always going to be good, that you are going to feel the pain of the characters, smell the blood, hear Theo's music.

A little more in this book about Andie's background and boy, is it amazing. Thanks Mr. Grippando. You never f
Grw
Nov 30, 2015 Grw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best book of the series so far, and by quite some way as finally all the great parts that have made up the previous books come together, without all the bits which ruined the flow. Just a shame it's taken until the first book for it all to come together.

The plot is the star of this book with even the hero Jack taking something of a backseat to it, and the female characters to whom it directly effects. The FBI agent in charge of the serial kidnapping that is the core, is particularly nicely done
Betty
Jul 26, 2014 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid entry in the Swyteck series. Grippando ratchets up the tension through the first half of the book and then I can't put it down, racing through the second half. A solid suspenseful mystery with a nice dose of humor. Although this book, like the others in the series, could be read as a standalone or out of order, I think the development of the friendship between Jack and Theo (and details of Jack's background and his relationship with his maternal grandmother, although that played no role ...more
Donnasuelouise Fleming
Just finished this novel by Grippando. Well done and great research on police and FBI procedure. Really liked the setting in Florida. It tended to creep along at times but kept my interest and did not leave me wondering. He grabbed your interest at the beginning, kept you guessing and wrapped it up in a plausible way. Great characters, I really liked the side kick. Protag a little fuzzy. Possibly because this is the first of this series I have read. It was Well done.
Linda
Mar 17, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of James Grippando's better novels with Jack Swyteck as the main character. Swyteck is in a race against the clock trying to outsmart the main who has kidnapped his girlfriend (of sorts), Mia. Jack had found out Mia was married and had lied to him so he broke it off with her prior to the kidnapping, but is drawn into the negotiations when the husband at first refuses to comply with the kidnappers ransom demand to "pay me what she's worth". The characters in this novel are engaging and the pl ...more
Lydia
Sep 05, 2015 Lydia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grippando pulls you into the novel and keeps you reading for about 200 pages. The twist in the plot are fun but begin to become to much around pages 275 to 310. This book is about 100 pages to long. Theo is a key part of the story but could be better developed as a character. While Mai is a main character there are some key character traits that could have been better developed earlier in the story. For a summer read "Got the Look" is just OK.
Rafa1974
Sep 24, 2013 Rafa1974 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took James Patterson's advice and read this as my first Grippando book and I wasn't disappointed. A main character, Swyteck, who is a lawyer by profession but not a legal thriller in the real sense. The plot does not revolve around a legal case and is devoid of any courtroom drama. Rather, it is a story of Swyteck's girlfriend, Mia, being kidnapped with the kidnapper making an unusual ransom demand; 'pay me what she's worth'. Swyteck who only the night before finds out that Mia is married to a ...more
Boots S
This story concerns a kidnapper who demands ransom in the form of "pay me what she/he's worth". A problem comes forth when he askr payment from a man who has just found that his wife has been unfaithful so she is worth nothing to him. This same wife has become a new girlfriend of Jack Swyteck. He didn't know she was married, but he now cares for her.
Patricia Williams
Feb 17, 2016 Patricia Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read this author before and I've had the book for quite some time. I was very happy to find out that I really enjoyed the book and liked all the main characters. A very good mystery that I would recommend to all mystery lovers. I will definitely read books by this author again.
Joyce
Aug 04, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack learns that the woman he has been involved with is married. Shortly thereafter she is kidnapped and the kidnapper tells her husband to pay what he thinks he should for her release. The novel is action packed, challenging and keeps the reader engrossed throughout. There are enough twists in it to keep the reader wondering right up to the end.
Hal
Mar 05, 2014 Hal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read one other book by this author and I don't think I'm a fan.
Although I'll tell you this: I've noticed his books share a common shell; a woman with a changed identity and a "history", main male character falls for said woman and tries to rescue her.
Ginger Weirich
Aug 22, 2015 Ginger Weirich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things aren’t always what they seem. There are enough twists and turns in this tale to keep you in a fog for nearly the entire time, and, at one point, it looks like Swyteck just might not make it home from this adventure. Captivating read. 5 stars.
Elyse
Too brutal for my taste. And too abrupt in its story line shifts in the last third.

Probably time for me to take a break from reading Grippando. This one was just too much like James Patterson, imo.
Denise Whelan
Mar 15, 2014 Denise Whelan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very good. The arrogance of Ernesto Salazar, husband of Mia, when he knows his wife is cheating on him, is disgusting! I never would have guessed who the kidnapped really was, talk about shock factor!
Michael Redd
Nov 02, 2015 Michael Redd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found a new author. I know that starting with #5 is odd. but it still was a good sand alone book. James Grippando channels David Baldacci in this book and I hope the entire series is as fascinating.
Mardi Berzok
Mar 26, 2016 Mardi Berzok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Always an interesting read. Love the South Florida setting. It is a mystery to me how Jack Swytek manages to get into so much trouble.
Kristi Bumpus
Feb 11, 2014 Kristi Bumpus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good mystery; a fairly quick read. A few awkward spots, but lots of plot twists. A little graphic (violence), but average for the genre in that regard.
Colette
Jan 31, 2013 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book was one of those with so many twists and turns and "upsets" that I just wanted to read it faster and faster or peek at the ending.

Jack Swyteck has a new girlfriend (Mia) that he thinks is "the" one, at least until he runs into her and her husband at a swanky dinner affair. Then Mia is kidnapped and her husband refuses to pay the ransom because she has been unfaithful to him, which leads Jack into feeling responsible for her and works with the FBI to solve the "Pay Me What She's Worth"
Angela
Dec 04, 2013 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had an insatiable need to read this book nonstop until I finished it. I could not put it down. A serial killer takes women and holds them ransom, asking their husbands to pay what they are worth. Only one woman has survived as her husband liquidated his assets and paid everything he had. The other was found dead. Now he has Mia and alternates between taunting her boyfriend and her husband. Sort of an Aesop's fables type of twists as to what can happen when committing adultery. Who will pay the ...more
Cindy Grossi
Jun 26, 2014 Cindy Grossi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Grippidano and it was a great find. Good suspense, strong characters, and gripping story.
Chi Dubinski
May 29, 2013 Chi Dubinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lawyer Jack Swyteck’s new girlfriend Mia might just be The One, begins James Grippando’s mystery “Got the Look.” That is, until Jack is at a party and is introduced to a powerful and influential potential client, Ernesto Salazar. Jack is shocked when Salazar introduces him to his wife—it’s Mia.
When Mia is kidnapped and her husband is asked to pay ransom of “whatever she’s worth,” Jack works with the FBI to find her. Will Salazar pay for the return of her cheating wife? Every page sends the reade
Lori
Mar 20, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
all his books are excellant read when it first came out
Carol
May 28, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Language! A beautiful woman is kidnapped and held for ransom. The ransom demand is very different - the kidnapper asks for what the woman is worth. What is a woman worth???? One man guessed right and got his wife back but the next one didn't and his wife was killed. Now a 3rd woman is kidnapped with the same ransom request - what she's worth. This woman is married but is Jack Swytecks lover, he doesn't know she's married until he meets she and her husband at a charity event. Will they guess righ ...more
Victoria Shepherd
May 02, 2016 Victoria Shepherd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adeptly told mystery/thriller.
Judee
Jun 16, 2012 Judee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series with the main character, Jack Swytek. I skip over the gory parts. This is #5 in the series and I read it with just as much anticipation and enjoyment as the previous ones. In this case, a new character is introduced to the series. Andie Henning is a female FBI agent who tends to confound Swytek while he tries to catch a serial kidnapper. There are no courtroom antics here, which is refreshing. Not since the Spenser series(Robert B. Parker) have I been so enthralled with a charac ...more
  • High Crimes
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Conviction (Christopher Paget, #4)
  • An Isolated Incident
  • The Little Death (Louis Kincaid, #10)
  • Fade
  • The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1)
  • Irreparable Harm
  • Puppets
  • Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)
  • Twisted
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • The Crime Writer
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Father Night (Jack McClure, #4)
  • The Last Good Day
  • Trader Of Secrets (Paul Madriani, #12)
  • Mourners (Nameless Detective, #30)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels of suspense, including twelve in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck. ...more
More about James Grippando...

Jack Swyteck (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cash Landing (Jack Swyteck, #0.5)
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6)
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • Born To Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck #10)