Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2)

Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown #15.5)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,774 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Solve Encyclopedia's mysteries and then try his favorite recipes. With an updated cover look!

Match wits with Encyclopedia Brown and see if you can solve these mysteries before he does, in this exciting compilation featuring Encyclopedia's favorite recipes that you can make at home!

- Figure out if Willford's painting of the Liberty Bell is a fake, then celebrate with red, w...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1982)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
What Book Got You Hooked?
106th out of 2,689 books — 7,438 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHorton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
Food In Book Titles
33rd out of 169 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessalyn Cipriano
Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake is one of several books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. It was a cute, easy read, mystery for about ages 3rd and 4th grades. In this book Encyclopedia must solve the mystery of who is stealing all of his friends' cooking supplies. He also must solve who is the thief of the school clubs' money. Throughout the book Encyclopedia and his friends enjoy different meals while finding clues to the mysteries. The book also provides all the recipes for every meal they h...more
Adam
The mysteries in this one are pretty enjoyable, the recipes are generally pretty good, and the way the two tie together is especially satisfying. To this day I'm still unable to prepare garlic bread without thinking of Bugs Meany and his crew attempting to hide their dastardly garlic bread theft by chewing copious amounts of parsley, since parsley will sweeten even a camel's breath. So how did Encylopedia finally expose their crime? SPOILER ALERT. He smelled their hands.
Jen
Mar 27, 2009 Jen added it
Shelves: children-s
I learned that the bullies are always guilty, and by reading the back of the book first you can feel really smart when you know just how to solve the mystery.

I loved these in first grade. I still remember taking nosefuls of their stale paper smell. These books were part of my first library experience, and I remember thinking that a library was like a church but better, because there were bean bags. I still think that, but have given up on bean bags.
Savitri
I read all of Encyclopedia Brown books. I loved them all. So clever! I wonder if I read them again if I'd be able to solve the mysteries better than I did back then.
Heather
This one was fun since each mystery was followed by a set of recipes. My son is excited to try a few of them.
Stephen
Saw this in the thrift store and for 20 cents I figured it was worth that in nostalgia value alone.

I loved the Encyclopedia Brown books as a kid and read a number of them. This one however is kinda different. It's more than half cookbook.

While the recipes all seem like foods kids would like (and like to make), this is an odd combination kind of book. It's a bit like one of those knives with all the added tools and attachments, kinda neat as a novelty item and potentially useful in some unusual...more
Ester
Mystery and food! What else could I possibly need?
Sfk
Encyclopedia is fun!!
Eddie
I really liked it:)
Monique
"They called themselves the Tigers. They should have called themselves the Pretzel Makers. They were always tried to make dough the crooked way."

FOOD!
Although, some recipes I wasn't interested in, others I really want to try out like Polvorones, Sweet and Sour Meatballs, French French Toast, Encyclopedia Brownies, etc.
Altaf Shah
Jan 14, 2014 Altaf Shah marked it as to-read
Shelves: rohan
i love encyclopedia brown books
Robialice
The best Encyclopedia Brown book of them all. Re-read it this weekend (picked up a 50 cent library copy for my step-son, when he's ready for it in 6 years!) and they still are clever little mysteries. You really have to pay attention to find the clues.

Plus, this one has recipes!
Annie
Age range 10-100. I think this book is great it has a BUNCH of resipes to try out. My favorite mysterie is called the over stuffed piñata. Almost all the resipes feed 6 so its perfect for familys of 6.
Anne-Marie Lavoie
About half of my class enjoyed this book. It wasn't the best choice for read aloud time because it has many recipes in it.
Maureen
An interesting story about a young detective called Encyclopedia Brown.One of the best young detective stories I have ever read.
Brandy
Alex and Brandy commute reading - this one was not as good as the earlier ones. Over half the book was recipes, not mysteries.
Catherine Woodman
I loved the Encyclopedia Brown series as a kid, tho' I could not get any of my kids fired up about them
Moe
I learned that geese have darker meat than chicken, and there were some interesting recipes!
Steven
A great character, Encyclopedia Brown, that first taught me to appreciate the mystery genre.
Kirei
This is partly cases and partly a cookbook. Kind of an odd, but interesting, combination.
Ashley
The recipies got really annoying, but the mysteries were as fun as ever.
Pioden
I absolutely loved the E.Brown books when I was a kid, I gobbled them up!
Silas
good book for 8-13 year olds who like mystery and games like 21 questions
David Striepe
While good, I thought Bugs Meany was a predictable foil in this one.
Megan
Some children's books are just dumb, this is one of 'em.
Katherine
Really tough mysteries to solve...
Abraham Ray
good mystery/cookbook!
Ambar C
this book is geting good
Mya
love these types of stories
Morgan
not my favorite book.
  • The Chocolate Sundae Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #46)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • Sideways Arithmetic From Wayside School
  • The Secret at the Seashore
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • The Ghost of Windy Hill
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • Tabby in the Tub (Animal Ark, #29)
  • Amelia Bedelia and Her Wacky World
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3) Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)