Start by marking “The Ropes to Skip and the Ropes to Know: Studies in Organizational Behavior” as Want to Read:
The Ropes to Skip and the Ropes to Know: Studies in Organizational Behavior

The Ropes to Skip and the Ropes to Know: Studies in Organizational Behavior

Now in it's seventh edition, this OB reader continues to both instruct and entertain the current generation of students and professionals about workplace realities. This book consists of a series of short, interwoven stories about the operations at a single, mythical company seen through the eyes of an employee. It reveals the psychological processes and social mores at wo ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Ropes to Skip and the Ropes to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ropes to Skip and the Ropes to Know

Jim Bennett
Oct 29, 2014 Jim Bennett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-key-books
Once, in a meeting, another noticed what was going on before I did. I later asked why. He recommended this book.
I no longer lend my copy: it's getting dog-eared. But every time I did lend it, the borrower was 'forced' to buy his/her own copy.
You will read, in every chapter, a story about persons interacting in an office situation. (While titles may change, fundamental personalities and pecking orders will not.) The story will unfold an interesting, somewhat odd, 'happening' in that office or bus
Shanna
Aug 03, 2011 Shanna rated it really liked it
As someone who is trying (very hard) to enter into the workforce, I found this very entertaining, yet extremely insightful. There are A LOT of great tips in here for a broad range of people dealing with a broad range of situations.

I would recommend this to anyone who is a newbie, a manager, or a CEO.
Stephen
Jul 23, 2011 Stephen rated it liked it
READ AUG 2009

A good "dramaturgy" that answers the question: How do leaders work within the culture of the organization? Best quote: "No organization functions as subordinates commonly understand it to function, and no organization could. Pretense is necessary to maintain the allegiance of the faithful--recruits, lower echelons, the public" (p. 12).
Lily
Apr 05, 2011 Lily rated it it was amazing
Still consider this as one of the best organizational behavior books I have read. Used it in business school at Columbia in 1981. Date below is when we read it in our book club at the suggestion of a colleague of mine to whom I had introduced it.
Aron
May 10, 2008 Aron rated it it was amazing
If you have to read only one book on organizational behavior, this is the one you should read. I first read this book when I did my Masters in management, and 30 years later I still apply its lesson. An easy read filled with practical insights about how humans behave inside organizations.
Alan
Jan 26, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
Great book on the rituals of corporate life. Used to give it to newly hired engineers, who expected things to make sense.
Ben
Ben rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2011
Chan-Mi
Chan-Mi rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013
Michelle Venezia
Michelle Venezia rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2010
Sasha
Sasha rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2015
Christina P
Christina P rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Roxann
Roxann rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2009
Ira
Ira rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
M.H.
M.H. rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2015
Robyn Conte
Robyn Conte rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2011
Joy
Joy rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2014
John Marshall
John Marshall rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Leslie Jensen-Inman
Leslie Jensen-Inman rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Michele L Cruz
Michele L Cruz rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Alistair
Alistair rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
Kaia Taylor
Kaia Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2009
John
John rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2017
Leticia
Leticia rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Kristyn Hammond
Kristyn Hammond rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Michael Hermansen
Michael Hermansen rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2014