Start by marking “The Brentford Chainstore Massacre” as Want to Read:
The Brentford Chainstore Massacre

The Brentford Chainstore Massacre (Brentford #5)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  939 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea whose time has come. And there can be few ideas less bad or more potentially apocalyptic than that hatched by genetic scientist Dr. Stephen Malone. Using DNA strands extracted from the dried blood on the Turin Shroud, Dr. Malone is cloning Jesus.

Published December 4th 1997 by Random House (NY) (first published December 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Brentford Chainstore Massacre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brentford Chainstore Massacre

John Bullock
Jul 29, 2012 John Bullock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first taste of Robert Rankin's work was the BBC radio adaptation of The Brightonomicon. I found it to be hilarious, so, of course, I went on to read the novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was pleased to find that it was the eighth book in a "trilogy" of nine, and promptly began buying the rest of the series.

The Brentford Chainstore Massacre is the fifth book in the series and, in my opinion, the best (chronologically speaking) so far. The writing style that attracted me to the series in The
Jason
Apr 05, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Robert Rankin book I purchased, mainly because of the title and it's amazing cover.

In this outing Rankin decides it's time to resurrect Jesus seeing as the new millennium nearly upon us. there is also a love interest for Pooley at long last, poor bloke needed to get some. Complete lunacy as you would expect from Rankin as Brentford come up with a way of celebrating the millennium early and getting some cash from the millennium grant. Fantastic writing with perfect comedic timing.
Saoirse Sterling
[Quick review from memory before I re-read and re-review at a later date]

(Little memory of the plot, though from the rating it must have been a grand one. Polley, O'Malley? Marchant... hmm. One of the ones where I learn something new, that's what it feels like.)
Joseph Teller
Fifth in the Trilogy set around the Characters of Jim Pooley and John Omalley, this book has as much to do with taking all the wild 'Milllennial Madness' and waving it around as something insane and silly as it does back developing the history of Jim & John and why they live in Brentford like their ancestors before them and why weird things happening there often involve them.

It's all about there being nothing more powerful than a bad idea whose time has come.... and the silliness about the y
Isabel (kittiwake)
'And the lights upon the allotment,' said Soap, 'what would you take those to be?'
'The work of the council,' said Omally firmly, 'another plot to confound honest golfers.'
Soap burst into a paroxysm of laughter. Tears rolled down his pale cheeks and he clutched at his stomach.
'Come now,' said Pooley, 'it is no laughing matter, these lads have it in for us.'
'Have it in for you?' gasped Soap between convulsions. 'You witness a test run of laser-operated gravitational landing beams, the product
Richard Penn
This book has a clever title, and is reasonably well written, but it seems lazy and self-indulgent. We have no real sense that the main character, or indeed Brentford, is in any danger. And all we learn about Brentford is that the author despises it, like Little Whingeing, in JKR's books.
Nathan Dehoff
This book is a return to Rankin’s original heroes, Jim Pooley and John Omally of Brentford. It’s also a return to the titles that sound cool but don’t directly relate to the plot. The overlapping plots this time around involve a mad doctor who is attempting to clone Jesus, and the discovery that a set of scrolls from the Vatican will allow Brentford to celebrate the millennium a few years early. As might be expected, there’s also a demonic being, this time the head of the Millennial Committee wh ...more
Catfantastic
Parts of this were laugh-out-loud funny, and parts of it tried really really hard to be laugh-out-loud funny and just weren't.
Shane
Apr 22, 2013 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Very funny, as usual. I always enjoy these novels. I feel I know the characters so well by now too. This was one of the better ones too, which is saying a lot because they're all good anyway.

This ones about Poole and O'Malley attempting to get their hands on a large amount of coin, as they say from the Millennium funding committee, or some such body. Also involved in the shenanigans is a Doctor who clones two boys from the blood of Jesus on the Turin Shroud and yet another attempt to renovate T
I Wilson
Intriguing but confusing, personally didn't feel that attached to characters
Ade Couper
Mar 29, 2012 Ade Couper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More from Mr Rankin , that most excellent purveyor of far-fetched fiction...

This tome finds us back in Brentford , in the company once again of Jim Pooley & John O'Malley , erstwhile individuals , patrons of The Flying Swan , & untroubled by mere employment. This time the yarn involves the lost days of Brentford , Demons , clones of .....well, it would spoil it to tell you, & general mayhem . It is , as you'd expect , bloody excellent .

Richard Thomas
Nov 25, 2014 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The early Rankins are all delightful heart-stoppingly funny and essential comic sci-fi reading with hidden treasures on every page
Steven Shroyer
Jul 13, 2012 Steven Shroyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this book is a bit dated(it was released in 1997) this book is a funny, oddball romp that deserves a repeat reading. For fans of such British Humor authors like Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett
Dan
Oct 27, 2008 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for a luagh, Rankins books always have surreal orignal wit and clever plot twists. The characters are always likeable without being fleshed out unnecessarly. Good fun
Maria
Jan 07, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ranking as bonkers as ever although I must admit this wasn't my favourite of the adventures of messrs Pooley and O'Malley.
Jane Walker
Oct 05, 2012 Jane Walker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Rankin's humour is a matter of taste. The book is comic, even mad, but there were times when I didn't find it all that funny.
Rehevkor
Jan 24, 2015 Rehevkor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought I had read all of the Brentford Trilogy, apparently I had missed one.. not complaining.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
The Brentford Chainstore Massacre (Brentford Trilogy) by Robert Rankin (1998)
Benjamin Kahn
Benjamin Kahn is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2016
ROLDAN
ROLDAN marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jota
Jota added it
Apr 26, 2016
David Scott
David Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Simon Coates
Simon Coates marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Sara Yeo
Sara Yeo marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Iwik Pásková
Iwik Pásková marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Julia Marie Sparrow
Julia Marie Sparrow marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
  • Open Sesame
  • Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)
  • Death's Domain: A Discworld Mapp
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall
More about Robert Rankin...

Brentford (9 books)