Start by marking “Designing the Moment: Web Interface Design Concepts in Action” as Want to Read:
Designing the Moment: Web Interface Design Concepts in Action

Designing the Moment: Web Interface Design Concepts in Action

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The trick to great design is knowing how to think through each decision so that users don't have to. In The Obvious Interface, Robert Hoekman, author of Designing the Obvious, presents over 30 stories that illustrate how to put good design principles to work on real-world web application interfaces to make them obvious and compelling. From the first impression to the last
Published April 1st 2008 by New Riders Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Designing the Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing the Moment

Mikal
Designing the Moment is like siting in a workshop with Hoekman watching him iterate through a series of micro-case studies. The results aren't breadth taking and in most cases the results aren't anything I would ship (though I am given the benefit of time as there has been years of news solutions developed).

But ultimately Hoekman lays out his approach and thought process in a way many practitioners would shy away from. The approachability of the low fidelity mockups shown also puts the focus on
Glenn
This is a follow on book by the author of the popular “Designing the Obvious.” The author is a web designer who has started his own company. His advice seems to me to be very practical and valuable.

He starts with some basics on layout and design continuity to form a more positive impression. He presents some advice on what to do and not do when it comes to web site navigation. He talks about content patterns such as trigger words, making the text easy to scan, and labeling. He weighs in with his
Paul
Feb 14, 2013 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: web, ui, design
This book follows "Designing the Obvious", which is an introduction to Hoekman's philosophy on design. "Designing the Moment" takes more of a case study approach and nuts out many of the contemporary UI design issues.

It is not an encyclopedia or complete reference - you will need to go elsewhere for that. But it does get you in the groove (in a "teach a man to fish.." kind of way)

More than anything, I find Hoekmen's approach to web design just clicks for me. Reading a few pages is great "exercis
Kelley
I haven't finished this book, but I'm a little disappointed. Hoekman's first book, Designing the Obvious, was excellent. This books feels like a collection of blog posts written in too chatty a style. It's true that Hoekman's first book was a little dry, but he's gone too far in the other direction. And while he says up front that he's interested in starting conversations and not in providing definitive answers, it's just not as informative as it could be. I'm left feeling that, if it's all just ...more
Teri Temme
I loved this book! I love design and reading about the little fixes that can make a BIG difference on web sites was awesome.

This sums up, for me, what design is all about - from Robert: "... ,the goal is always to communicate to our users how something works, what they can get from it, and why it matters."
Paul
Pretty good over all. I like the concept of "Ambient Signifiers", and want to explore it some more. I especially liked the theme of minimalism and avoiding trends. "Design is communication" is another message that seemed to click pretty well.
Healthmedia
Designing the user experience so that it guides users through your site the way you want them to experience it. Very interesting -especially in terms of entering in info in forms or "questionnaires"
Scott
Concise look into attitudes and techniques in interaction design. Easy to absorb and to apply examples into larger principles.
Scotty
Some great ideas. Some debatable ones. Worth reading quickly.
Mary
It was incredibly wordy...
Waywards
Waywards marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Astarte
Astarte marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
josh91
josh91 marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Tim Richards
Tim Richards marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Tim Woods
Tim Woods marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jen Santarelli
Jen Santarelli marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert Hoekman, Jr, is the author of the Amazon bestseller Designing the Obvious (1st and 2nd edition), Designing the Moment, and Web Anatomy (coauthored by Jared Spool). He has also written dozens of articles for web-industry sites including Adobe, A List Apart, Peachpit, and InformIT.

Robert is a passionate and outspoken user experience specialist who has worked with Adobe, MySpace, Dodge, Crafts
More about Robert Hoekman Jr....
Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design Web Anatomy: Interaction Design Frameworks That Work The Tao of User Experience Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One Flash Out of the Box